• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:54
CEST 13:54
KST 20:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9827 users

SC2 unit data in JSON

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
mittleider
Profile Joined December 2013
6 Posts
April 17 2014 18:32 GMT
#1
Hello all,

I'm interested in making a tool for the SC2 community which can help analyze the trade off of specific orders and provide a relatively accurate upper bound on the speed of a build.

Programming this in SC2 map editor means that all the unit data is easily accessible, but I don't think that using SC2s map editor is the right option. I think a tool like this can be built fairly quickly in any scripting language.

One difficulty of creating the tool is that there are tons of different units and buildings all with different attributes. Manually inputting the data is a pain. Does anyone know if this data exists in JSON or XML (or any easily readable format)?
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
April 17 2014 18:37 GMT
#2
Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm curious to see the feedback from other coders. I've been working with JSON for a couple months now.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
mittleider
Profile Joined December 2013
6 Posts
April 17 2014 18:39 GMT
#3
Bisu what do you mean? You are working on a similar tool? What data are you encoding in JSON?
Artisian
Profile Joined October 2010
United States115 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-17 19:22:36
April 17 2014 19:11 GMT
#4
Well, there are tons of unit stat spreadsheets that you could save as a tab delimited text file and format from there... let me find some of these...

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Protoss_Building_Statistics
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Terran_Unit_Statistics

Transfer these over to excel, or something like it, save in a file whatever language will read nicely, and it shouldn't be too bad from there.

I can't find a good sheet of upgrade statistics, you may have to do those by hand.

Edit: or I suppose you could get a file reader to grab what you need from:

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Protoss_Upgrades

But that's a much more intensive file reader than I've ever personally built. You could probably use the consistent font formatting to grab each upgrade name, and then blindly reach for where the other stats should be... But it looks like more work than just manually entering the upgrades.
Supply is a conspiracy against me...
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
April 17 2014 19:15 GMT
#5
On April 18 2014 03:39 mittleider wrote:
Bisu what do you mean? You are working on a similar tool? What data are you encoding in JSON?

I'm not allowed to discuss my coding projects. You know, national security and all. But it gets the job done for networking among multiple projects.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
mittleider
Profile Joined December 2013
6 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-17 19:24:33
April 17 2014 19:22 GMT
#6
Thanks, Artisian. I don't really want to parse HTML to get the data, it's not fully reliable. I think you're right in that it may be equivalently easy to just enter the data manually.

I think you have a good idea though of copy/pasting into excel. Then you can save excel as a CSV format (which is fine by me). But this is still significantly more work than JSON or XML.

Maybe someone knows something about the SC2 map editor? (I don't). I wonder if you can do file IO from there? I might just be able to extract all the data into an output file? :X


And Bisu if you have any interesting SC2 projects that you need a hand on let me know. National security is not an issue here, I don't talk enough or care enough to tell anyone
UberNuB
Profile Joined December 2010
United States365 Posts
April 17 2014 19:23 GMT
#7
Assuming the data is easily accessible in the SC2 editor, why not just make a script within that to dump out the json data you want?
the absence of evidence, is not the evidence of absence.
Artisian
Profile Joined October 2010
United States115 Posts
April 17 2014 19:23 GMT
#8
If I were just a bit more familiar with JSON, I'd have a python script convert from excel to whatever format you like in a minute. Alas, I'm not sure what it should look like...
Supply is a conspiracy against me...
mittleider
Profile Joined December 2013
6 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-17 19:28:14
April 17 2014 19:27 GMT
#9
OOH! Artisian I see what you mean now. Ok actually you solved my problem!

CSV is a little bit lame, but converting from CSV to JSON is much easier than manually inputting the data. Thank you
Artisian
Profile Joined October 2010
United States115 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-17 19:34:35
April 17 2014 19:33 GMT
#10
Yay, I helped!

Now, on the actual program... are you thinking something like this:

http://sc2calc.org/build_order/

with the option to look at what can be improved and what you're giving up relative to another given ordering? Or were you thinking something closer to this:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/168348-scfusion-wol-and-hots-build-order-optimizer

With a given goal, it shows you the fastest way to get there, and then you have to find what nuance changes need to be made to actually survive long enough?

edit: both the above are pretty out of date if I recall correctly, so any sort of replacement or update would be awesome still.
Supply is a conspiracy against me...
mittleider
Profile Joined December 2013
6 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-17 19:55:59
April 17 2014 19:50 GMT
#11
Both of these tools are similar to what I'm thinking.

Maybe SC2 calc is closer. However, it doesn't seem like SC2Calc gives you the state of the game at every time interval (or maybe it CAN, it just doesn't, I'll have to look into it). For example, say I want to go 14 pool... at what game time do I have exactly 200 minerals? And if I execute no more actions, what will the state of the game be by time 10:00? (You would still have 13 workers and xxxxx minerals). I realize that's not a useful build, but the idea is that this would allow you to look at things like "what if I cut this probe here".

SC2Fusion is close to what I was thinking. I did have the idea of computing an "optimal" strategy. And I think the author of this program has a great idea in creating "waypoints" of goals along the build order. But I'll have to look more deeply into how his tool works and the problems that it has. If his works well, it may be best to just abandon my idea and roll with his.

Either way, these two programs are great. I think building on one of them will be much faster, assuming the code is clean.

One possible issue with SC2Fusion is that even though 1M games per second is fast simulation, if the simulation is random then clearly most of the games are just trash. If you want to check the build order for a longer game it will be more difficult. For example, how do i get from state "X" (say you're at 100/120) to state "Y" of 200/200.

Making an optimal SC2 build is clearly an NP complete problem, so having a human decide the course of action is more intuitive in my opinion.
Artisian
Profile Joined October 2010
United States115 Posts
April 17 2014 20:07 GMT
#12
On April 18 2014 04:50 mittleider wrote:
One possible issue with SC2Fusion is that even though 1M games per second is fast simulation, if the simulation is random then clearly most of the games are just trash. If you want to check the build order for a longer game it will be more difficult. For example, how do i get from state "X" (say you're at 100/120) to state "Y" of 200/200.


I really like the idea of giving SC2Fusion a goal, say 'I want 5 stalkers', letting it find it's optimization, and then being able to look at what shuffling the order of it's results or adding a few more/less probes to it would do. That would be insanely useful, since usually the builds you get from Fusion stop being viable after the 7 min mark or so, simply because you can't get it to include the needed defensive units.

It sounds awesome.
Supply is a conspiracy against me...
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 7116
StarCastTV_EN82
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs KrystianerLIVE!
TBD vs Percival
CranKy Ducklings126
CranKy Ducklings SOOP38
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko338
ProTech123
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 5216
Jaedong 2490
EffOrt 1214
actioN 892
BeSt 574
Killer 542
Horang2 482
Soma 465
Pusan 206
Stork 202
[ Show more ]
Zeus 141
Rush 132
Mini 114
Barracks 108
Snow 85
JYJ 82
Mong 59
Light 56
HiyA 42
Sea.KH 40
ToSsGirL 37
Larva 33
ggaemo 30
Shinee 29
Bale 29
Sharp 22
hero 21
Sexy 21
sorry 20
Noble 11
zelot 11
JulyZerg 10
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5634
Dendi576
XaKoH 376
League of Legends
Reynor64
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_54
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2849
Other Games
gofns65255
singsing1531
olofmeister1190
byalli543
Livibee196
OGKoka 96
B2W.Neo86
ArmadaUGS53
Organizations
StarCraft 2
WardiTV364
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream312
Other Games
BasetradeTV213
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 68
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV118
League of Legends
• Jankos1791
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 7m
Kung Fu Cup
23h 7m
The PondCast
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.