• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:21
CEST 17:21
KST 00:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9102 users

[Interview]Grubby on WCS EU, BWC and more!

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
digmouse
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
China6331 Posts
September 26 2012 07:39 GMT
#1
Chinese Starcraft 2 news site s.163.com conducted an interview with Grubby about his WCS EU run and thought on upcoming WCS Asia and BWC.
Read the Chinese version Here.
[image loading]
Image courtesy of Dreamhack
+ Show Spoiler +
Nice to meet you,Grubby. We are S.163.COM, the best StarCraft 2 Fan site in China. Before we start, as usual, say hello to your Chinese fans!
Hi gamers from China. Welcome to SC2.

Congratulations on making Top 6 at WCS EU finals, thus sealed a ticket to the Battle.Net World Championship in Shanghai.

This victory was meaningful for me. I had convinced myself that I belong in the Top 6 for WCS European Final. I had to prove that to myself and my fans. I am extra happy because I am coming back to China.

How do you feel after that, and your anticipations and goals for BWC?

I was aiming for the first place, but I was also fearful of not qualifying at all. It would have felt quite bad to me. My hope right now for the BWC is Top 3.

Your run at WCS EU was legendary. Losing to sLivko in WR1 but then defeated JeaL, DarKFoRcE, StarEagle, Ret, and with an epic comback against Nerchio to lock down a place in the Top 6.

Did you also watch the stream? I'm glad if people from China are watching my games in Starcraft 2. I didn't plan on making the games exciting, I would rather win 2-0 instead. But it seems I was always on the verge of defeat. My will to win was quite strong, and I also got lucky. I'm glad to have such a thrilling and adventurous journey through the Lower Bracket. It was very fun and exhilarating.

your victory against Ret in LB4 is indeed a miracle, tell us what exact happened there and your thoughts after he left the game.

My plan was to defeat his army in a direct confrontation. When I saw 20+ Broodlords, my only thought was, "I can't beat this army." So instead I went for the elimination race. I was sending units everywhere in an effort to find his bases. I had Mothership and Carriers, but I'd have had a hard time defeating mass BL, Corruptor and Infestor. I was glad to kill off his last building. I was a little shocked when I was ejected from the game as the winner.

Then you narrowly lost to LucifroN, who was also a Orc player in Warcraft 3. How did you think about that game? Is coming up against a old rival in Warcraft 3 something special for you?

LucifroN is an intelligent and skilled player with whom I usually have about 50% winrate in WC3 & SC2. I think this one should've been mine, but I made some big mistakes. I will work hard to improve my play for next time.

Did you watched the grand finals? Vortix almost made a huge upset by defeating Stephano but the French ultimately took the crown. Do you have any thoughts about that game?

I watched the whole finals together with SortOf. I think Stephano played a lot better than VortiX, so I was surprised the Spaniard took the first series. Stephano is the indisputed #1 in Europe for a long time already.

The WCS Asia Championship is coming up next. 10 Chinese players will be battling for 6 BWC spots, including your old rivals like Infi and MacSed. As a old friend, which Chinese players do you think will make it out? Or the Koreans will dominate it all over?

To make the 17-18 November BWC more interesting for the Chinese fans, I hope multiple Chinese players will qualify in the WCS Asia Final. However, realistically I think top 6 places will have at least 4 Koreans because they are very strong right now. Jia you, Zhong guo SC2 players! ("Fighting! Chinese SC2 players!"--T/N)

In November, 32 of the world's very best will gather at BWC. Since your transition to SC2, you break the bottle-neck in 2012, and burst into the scene. What would you say about yourself?

My strength is not at its peak yet. I believe my result at the coming tournaments can be better. Please watch my games. My next tournaments are MLG Dallas and the IEMs'. Thank you.

You are not a stranger both to Chinese RTS players and the country itself, do you have any thoughts on the idea of BWC in China and its influences on esports as a whole?

I believe this tournament will function as one of the most important events of 2012. Why? Because BWC has the potential to finally involve China more into the world of SC2. I feel like China has not embraced SC2 completely yet. I really hope that China can become an equal factor in the world-wide competition for SC2. I hope BWC will be a resounding success. Please come and visit the BWC and say "hello" to me in person.

Starcraft 2 has been released for 2 years, and you played in a lot of tournaments, even guest casted events like MLG and ESL events, maintaining as a huge fan-favorite. Why do you have so many fans all around the world?

I really appreciate that. I believe people are attracted to my genuine passion for the game and open personality. I always give everything from myself, I don't hold back anything to entertain the fans.

What keeps Grubby so passionate about esports from Warcraft 3 era to Starcraft 2? Love for the games? Responsibility to the fans?

Only love for the game and for eSports has the power to lead the way to my continued presence. It's love first, and then everything else. Of course, all elements combined form the perfect formula.

Did you play Heart of the Swarm beta?

I don't play Heart of the Swarm. I prefer to focus completely on Wings of Liberty for now.

Thanks Grubby for the interview! Any last words to add for your fans in both Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 in China?

Bu ke qi. Xie xie ni. ("You're welcome and thank you." --T/N) I humbly request all my WC3 and SC2 fans to come and see me in Shanghai for the BWC on 17-18 November. See you there!
TranslatorIf you want to ask anything about Chinese esports, send me a PM or follow me @nerddigmouse.
bLecK
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia625 Posts
September 26 2012 07:59 GMT
#2
Grubby Fighting!!!!

He's so damn handsome in that picture.
Yoo Ara | Lee Min Jung /Suzy/Taeyeon/Eunji/ NaRae/ Alice
Ucs
Profile Joined October 2010
264 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-26 08:46:46
September 26 2012 08:05 GMT
#3
I'm so glad a cool and nice guy like Grubby made it to BWC. I hope he does well there. The chinese fans will go insane if he does. I was really happy to see him qualify. I would also like to thank him for making really good PR(in this interview) for BWC, because he has alot of fans in China (BLIZZARD ARE YOU LISTENING? MAKE HIM A HEADLINER FOR THE PROMO VIDEOS IN CHINA! Hopefully they will realize Grubby is really loved there and put him in the video promos and not only highlight pandas and mists).

P.S. "Did you play Heart of the Swarm beta? I don't play Heart of the Swarm. I prefer to focus completely on Wings of Liberty for now." <- Respect for being a true proffesional.

Lets hope for a great BWC, a great performance from Grubby and getting China into Sc2! Grubby FIGHTING!
LakseWim
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands202 Posts
September 26 2012 08:07 GMT
#4
Nice interview, Grubby is great
NaNiwa | HerO | MC | Rain | PartinG | sOs
Rimak
Profile Joined January 2012
Denmark434 Posts
September 26 2012 08:26 GMT
#5
Grubby is sucha a manner player.
2000 Jungler 66% Hecarim, 63% Volibear, 60% Jarvan IV
Inex
Profile Joined October 2010
Bulgaria443 Posts
September 26 2012 08:39 GMT
#6
Hope he does well in BCW. He's the player with one of the most interesting games.
red4ce
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States7313 Posts
September 26 2012 08:50 GMT
#7
Grubby is such a baller.
Pursuit_
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States1330 Posts
September 26 2012 08:53 GMT
#8
I love watching any of Grubby's games, he really manages to make the game come to life. I really think he's earned his place as top 6 in Europe. I know he can pull some big upsets at BWC if the conditions are right!
In Somnis Veritas
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
September 26 2012 08:56 GMT
#9
man, i love grubby
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
Lysanias
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands8351 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-26 09:04:14
September 26 2012 09:03 GMT
#10
Grubby is a true "natural" star in or out the spotlight, i guess that's why most love him. He won insane amounts of LAN's yet he always remains modest and very open and relaxed about it all.

Atleast for me that's why i love him. A guy we all like to connect to.

Oh and his games tend to be fun to watch aswell
SoniC_eu
Profile Joined April 2011
Denmark1008 Posts
September 26 2012 09:47 GMT
#11
Handsome dood! Nice interview. Such eloquence
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. http://da.twitch.tv/sonic_eu
mcmartini
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Australia1972 Posts
September 26 2012 10:01 GMT
#12
Thanks for this I love me some Grubby and I agree I think that he still has a while before he reaches his peak.
I just want to say I have 370 APM - Liquid'Tyler SotG 14-12-2011 "I mean it's too bad you can't be paid to be, you know, a chicken shit fucking whiny bitch on the internet or we would have lots of rich community members" Nick "Tasteless" Plott
3point14
Profile Joined November 2011
Germany890 Posts
September 26 2012 10:05 GMT
#13
hope he can find the formula of starcraft 2 soon so he can dominate again!
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 507
BRAT_OK 30
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32110
Bisu 3024
Shuttle 1792
Hyuk 1119
EffOrt 578
Mini 499
Larva 458
ZerO 364
Soma 336
firebathero 246
[ Show more ]
hero 120
Zeus 118
Sexy 70
Hyun 48
Mong 42
Trap 39
Last 37
Pusan 34
PianO 34
ToSsGirL 32
Killer 31
Aegong 28
Bale 27
Hm[arnc] 21
sorry 21
zelot 16
Terrorterran 15
Rock 12
JulyZerg 11
Sacsri 10
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8005
qojqva1970
Dendi907
Counter-Strike
fl0m2801
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1339
crisheroes1038
Liquid`Hasu565
Lowko448
Other Games
singsing2087
B2W.Neo1191
Beastyqt532
Mlord244
Hui .215
Livibee203
Liquid`VortiX140
KnowMe109
ArmadaUGS105
elazer83
Mew2King78
CosmosSc2 24
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream60
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 57
• StrangeGG 35
• Adnapsc2 14
• mYiSmile114
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 15
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 9107
• WagamamaTV272
League of Legends
• Jankos2011
Other Games
• Shiphtur181
Upcoming Events
FEL
40m
AI Arena Tournament
1h 40m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3h 40m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 40m
INu's Battles
20h 40m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.