• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:44
CEST 00:44
KST 07:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9686 users

1on1 Fatigue :(

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
SimpleHarmonicMotion
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden187 Posts
July 29 2010 16:32 GMT
#1
Hi TL forums. I played some SC back in the days, but never on a competetive level. However with the release of SC2 I felt it was time to stop FPS team games because RTS is fun and I can set my own practicing hours, which is good because of my uni studies.

So anyway my question to you guys is, do you feel really mentally tired after just playing a couple 1on1s? I'm on the edge of my seat during every single match, and my heartrate is probably at unhealthy levels. I didn't play the beta, so needless to say I got pretty bashed in my placement matches, ending 2-3 and going to Silver Division. I quickly got promoted to Gold and now Platinum after even beating a few Diamond players. I'm on 21 games with 14 wins at the moment. I think I've grasped the concept on how to play pretty well but I feel what's holding me back is that I am so damn nervous and tense, playing 10 1on1s a day is out of the question right now because I'm totally exhausted.

Does anyone else feel this way? Has anyone overcome this mental block? Any help is welcome!

(Oh and feel free to bash me too, I don't mind.)
common sense is the collection of prejudices
TwinHits
Profile Joined June 2010
United States48 Posts
July 29 2010 16:34 GMT
#2
I know what you mean, I had it for awhile when I first got placed into a higher league. It goes away after a time, it just takes practice and getting use to. It's a sign that you are getting better though when you can handle the strain!
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-29 16:36:19
July 29 2010 16:34 GMT
#3
This happens to me playing BW (when winning a long game, when losing i'm angry enoguh to keep going more games) on ladder still, though I find sc2 easy enough to keep playing. When you get used to the game it will subside.

If you're mentally strained it means you brain is learning and trying to cope with all the things you need to do. Poor players don't get this because their brain tunnelvisions a lot. It's a good thing.
Zoltan
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States656 Posts
July 29 2010 16:35 GMT
#4
This is pretty common, i think. I will spam 3-4 games and then take a 15 minute break and do some pushups and get a snack. Also, if i lost any of those games I try to watch the replay. Staying calm and focused is key to winning for me.
'HOW LONG HAVE THOSE REAPERS BEEN KILLING MY PROBES?!?!
lyk503
Profile Joined May 2009
United States261 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-29 16:36:20
July 29 2010 16:35 GMT
#5
It's because you're not used to the RTS game yet. I'm pretty sure most of the beginners have experienced this, but you get used to it. Once you start playing lots of games, it will subside, and you won't even notice it anymore.

For me, it was the fear of losing. I hated losing, so I would become tense and my heartbeat would go up. But once I played countless games, it all disappeared.
z0mgz starcraft
LaSt)ChAnCe
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States2179 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-29 16:36:07
July 29 2010 16:35 GMT
#6
i usually only play 1 at a time (for that reason)
T3tra
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States406 Posts
July 29 2010 16:37 GMT
#7
It's a relief to know that someone else feels like this after only a few games. Perhaps even moreso now that I know other people got passed it and it's not a permanent thing :D Really makes practicing and improving a challenge when each game is mentally exhausting.
I need this place like I need a shotgun blast to the face.
shannn
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2891 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-29 16:43:01
July 29 2010 16:38 GMT
#8
Seems to me it's that you can't handle the stress well jk :p
I am sometimes nervous but I can still play 10-20 games a day but unfortunately I can't lately (due to work).

I think you care more about your stats on ladder rather then your skills which is why I think you're worried. If you don't care about stats then most people will then try to learn and play the game to just learn and become better whether they win or lose.
Sometimes losing (be it a streak or just 1 game) is necessary to improve and understand yourself.

edit:
The only stressfull times when I get nervous is when I'm actually losing a MU with the same strat. Rather than that I just stay calm and re-think why I lost/how I lost and where did I lost.

But like others have said, it's best to just play alot of games and it will subdue. Only in the beginning will you get more nervous for a game as it's rather quite logical seeing you're adapting to the new things in the game.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=6321864 Epic post.
SimpleHarmonicMotion
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden187 Posts
July 29 2010 16:39 GMT
#9
What Slayer91 said fits well on me. The games I've lost I'm not that worked up about, and I just see it as a lesson. However the matches I win are the ones that really takes all my energy.
common sense is the collection of prejudices
Azerbaijan
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States660 Posts
July 29 2010 16:39 GMT
#10
I can relate. In BW after any particularly intense games I sometimes have to take a half hour break because I just feel so mentally exhausted. Its not quite so bad in Sc2 as the multitask requirement isn't quite so high but still, I'm actually on a break right now lol; won a really close TvT and I feel all shook up and jittery.

Ghad
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway2551 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-29 16:46:07
July 29 2010 16:41 GMT
#11
We are many who feel the same way, but it has kinda been discussed before.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=136595

Especially 1vs1, I find that I am completely absorbed by the game.
forgottendreams: One underage girl, two drunk guys, one gogo dancer and starcraft 2. Apparently just another day in Europe.
RaiderRob
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands377 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-29 16:43:42
July 29 2010 16:43 GMT
#12
On July 30 2010 01:32 SimpleHarmonicMotion wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

Hi TL forums. I played some SC back in the days, but never on a competetive level. However with the release of SC2 I felt it was time to stop FPS team games because RTS is fun and I can set my own practicing hours, which is good because of my uni studies.

So anyway my question to you guys is, do you feel really mentally tired after just playing a couple 1on1s? I'm on the edge of my seat during every single match, and my heartrate is probably at unhealthy levels. I didn't play the beta, so needless to say I got pretty bashed in my placement matches, ending 2-3 and going to Silver Division. I quickly got promoted to Gold and now Platinum after even beating a few Diamond players. I'm on 21 games with 14 wins at the moment. I think I've grasped the concept on how to play pretty well but I feel what's holding me back is that I am so damn nervous and tense, playing 10 1on1s a day is out of the question right now because I'm totally exhausted.

Does anyone else feel this way? Has anyone overcome this mental block? Any help is welcome!

(Oh and feel free to bash me too, I don't mind.)
[


I overcame this mental block when I stopped caring about winning or losing and started focusing on improving. You can't improve if you don't play. Even if you lose 10 straight, so what? Watch the replays, note down what you did wrong, how your opponent defeated you and than figure out what you should improve and work on that.

And doing all the analysis you also get a natural break. I usually play a few hours and than go analyze my losses for another hour or so.
People don't want freedom but fair leadership
789
Profile Joined October 2009
United States959 Posts
July 29 2010 16:44 GMT
#13
It'll get easier the longer you stick with playing the game. The biggest factor is being afraid to lose. You just need to get in the mind set that losing is ok - let's face it, everyone does lose games. Playing to get better rather than playing to win can be a good mindset. You don't fear losing and you can concentrate on improving your weaknesses - rather than just trying to do everything perfectly, which can be rather overwhelming. Wins will take care of themselves if you just work on improving your game.

Also a good relaxed posture can help. If your body is all tensed up it doesn't help the situation.
Member of Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk Cafe! He's the next Jaedong, baby!
Lazix
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia378 Posts
July 29 2010 16:44 GMT
#14
I think the cure is conditioning. Just mass game and you'll adapt to it.
ZergTurd
Profile Joined June 2010
83 Posts
July 29 2010 16:48 GMT
#15
play some 2v2 or 3v3 to relax a bit, they can be fun and who cares if you lose.. it's always your teammates' fault ;p
coffeefee
Profile Joined January 2010
Afghanistan77 Posts
July 29 2010 16:49 GMT
#16
I don't play sc so take it FWIW, but I think I've played enough games in my life to say with confidence that: it's a combination of a fear of losing and the joy of victory. If you want to become the best player in the world you might need to fix that up, because what it does is it won't let you keep playing when you're playing your best. So say if you just won 2 games vs a very tough opponent you won't keep playing him because "oh well I'm tired, I'm doing so good tho, might as well take a break, I don't need to be practicing if I'm doing so good" etc. If you're a casual gamer then there's nothing wrong with that of course
MforWW
Profile Joined July 2010
United States157 Posts
July 29 2010 16:50 GMT
#17
I definitely get this. I've been playing for a while and I still get it. I'm also extremely, extremely competitive though and I think that has a lot to do with it. (not a sore loser... just a very-disappointed-in-himself loser)
ToxNub
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada805 Posts
July 29 2010 16:51 GMT
#18
I agree with some of the other posters in that you shouldn't be caring about your winrate. Winning without gaining all the skills you need will just result in a string of losses when you get matched against superior players. I tend to do retarded things (thor scv rush), for fun, just to get the practice, even though I know it's not the best decision. Like one time I tried to counter a reaper rush with a cannon rush. He lifted off and I died horribly, but lesson learned!
Snuggles
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1865 Posts
July 29 2010 16:51 GMT
#19
I definitely can see where you're coming from with this. It really is just your brain being mentally exhausted, just like how your body gets tired after running around. So just like your body, if you can feel the strain and the stress on your brain, then that means you're pushing yourself towards your limits and your body is trying readjust itself to cope with it =). That means it is progress!

At the beginning of the beta I could only handle like 6 - 7 games before feeling burnt. Now its grown to about 10 - 12 games if I have time. But yeah, all those nervous jitters, the fear of losing- it all goes away after you've played a lot of games, and when its all gone you start to REALLY enjoy the game. Rather being beat down and feeling unmotivated to play after losing a lot of a games or just having lack of sleep, I really have to hold myself back sometimes (especially late at night) from having another session of 10 or so games because its becomes so much fun JUST to play Starcraft.
TheAngelofDeath
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2033 Posts
July 29 2010 16:51 GMT
#20
Nope, game's too fun, I rarely get tired, and I've gone 7 straight hours playing before.
"Infestors are the suck" - LzGamer
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O140
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason115
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1108
ZZZero.O 140
Bale 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm116
League of Legends
Doublelift5179
JimRising 674
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6849
Other Games
summit1g8861
FrodaN2785
KnowMe201
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1214
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1011
• Shiphtur189
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
16m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 16m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
12h 16m
Monday Night Weeklies
17h 16m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 12h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.