• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:11
CEST 21:11
KST 04:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon109
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7839 users

Starcraft 2 will be FREE for WoW players in Korea - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
oxxo
Profile Joined February 2010
988 Posts
June 24 2010 13:38 GMT
#81
How in the world can some of you people turn this into a 'Blizzard is evil' thing...? I mean seriously?

All of these news makes complete sense for Korea. If you think otherwise, you have no idea what the culture is like over there.
Baarn
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2702 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-24 14:07:22
June 24 2010 14:05 GMT
#82
There's a post up on the wow korea site about this and the OP makes it seem much worse than the offer actually is. So what if the wow subscribers get to play SC2 on a trial? Perhaps the OP should go read that post and edit his posts besides trying to sensationalize this into something it is not.
There's no S in KT. :P
Redmark
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada2129 Posts
June 24 2010 15:16 GMT
#83
On June 24 2010 22:34 moon` wrote:
I'm not saying it's going to hurt the competitive scene. What I meant to say was that in our modern age, companies have leaned towards catering the casual scene so much that the true entertainment value of games has dwindled. My interpretation of such things as innovation and creation being sold out by large corporations (i.e. Activision) which then has the money to market said game. I was just having a discussion with my friend on the future of games, more specifically the PC side of things.

For example, in the FPS scene there is not much innovation anymore. The Modern Warfare craze has taken over and it's pretty much the same shiz, different title. Games focused on the competitive side or even simply focused on the general player base like 1.6 have died off to a more "casual" scene. The PC platform seems to be ignored nowadays by big titles and simple ports from consoles are the only thing seen. This brings out many lackluster titles and such.

Thus, what I'm really saying is that yes, the casual scene is not a bad place to cater towards. What I truly fear is the death of creativity as more companies begin to be sold out and all companies care about is money (in Blizz's case, subscriptions to WoW).

The business side of things has nothing to do with game development. This has literally no effect on Starcraft 2. If you're really so paranoid about this, complain in another thread; or, even better, play some independently-produced games. I'm not sure what you're expecting from big companies, of course they'll make games which the most people want to buy.
TaaiJoeng
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Hong Kong164 Posts
June 24 2010 15:23 GMT
#84
Membership?.....fuck that....
...but the parasites say NO!
Hyp-The-Feared
Profile Joined April 2010
United States108 Posts
June 24 2010 15:28 GMT
#85
was this the big thing for june 24th?
The-Feared
cHaNg-sTa
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1058 Posts
June 24 2010 15:31 GMT
#86
If I lived in Korea, I would just buy SC2 and register it to a different email account. So if I decide to restart my WoW subscription, I can have two SC2 accounts going
Jaedong <3 HOOK'EM HORNS!
Kupon3ss
Profile Joined May 2008
時の回廊10066 Posts
June 24 2010 15:39 GMT
#87
I think the main reason isn't for sc2, its for WoW, because of the massive numbers of competitor MMOs (think of say, 10+ that span the range from maplestory to Aion), this move will probably give WoW a bigger boost rather than make much of an impact of sc2 sales in korea and give WoW the edge over the KMMOs
When in doubt, just believe in yourself and press buttons
Ocedic
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1808 Posts
June 24 2010 15:43 GMT
#88
On June 24 2010 16:00 caseeker wrote:
So many people wanted blizzard to announce the collectors edition for Korea today.. now blizzard took out the regular package from them.. Seriously, digital download sucks..


Digital download is amazing and I wouldn't have bought a third of the games I've bought in the past few years without it. You don't know what you're talking about.
caseeker
Profile Joined April 2010
United States63 Posts
June 24 2010 16:11 GMT
#89
On June 25 2010 00:43 Ocedic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2010 16:00 caseeker wrote:
So many people wanted blizzard to announce the collectors edition for Korea today.. now blizzard took out the regular package from them.. Seriously, digital download sucks..


Digital download is amazing and I wouldn't have bought a third of the games I've bought in the past few years without it. You don't know what you're talking about.


I think YOU don't know what im talking about :p
Digital download it self is great, but if there is no option to buy actual package?? that truly sucks
skipdog172
Profile Joined June 2010
United States331 Posts
June 24 2010 16:15 GMT
#90
On June 24 2010 16:03 Megaphone wrote:
What are you people talking about? How could this possibly be bad for Koreans?

If you want to buy the game ($59), you have unlimited access to battle.net.

If you want to play subscription based, you pay $10 a month, but don't have to buy the game. You can also play the game for one day for $2.

Blizzard donating ~600,000,000 won to the Korean Student Aid Foundation?

Free for WoW players?

Extra free open beta time at launch so everybody can try the game out?

I... I don't get it. Why is this bad again? Or do you guys just.. not read?




Agreed. I'm starting to wonder if I am going insane when reading these forums.
theDreamStick
Profile Joined May 2010
39 Posts
June 24 2010 16:18 GMT
#91
OMG SUCKS 4 KOREA THEY LIKE CAN'T BUY THE PHYSICAL GAME!!!

Seriously you guys that are complaining need to read. Nothing is negative about this press release. Everything is positive.

No one in the US should want this subscription BS.

And to all you WoW players that are complaining that you don't get the same deal, think of it this way.

You're paying 15$/month for WoW. You play somewhere are 40 hours a month. Okay. In one year, you pay 12*15 = 180$ for WoW.

Now if SC2 was given in addition to the WoW account, let's say you now play 20 hours SC2, 20 hours WoW. 1/2 of your money is going to SC2 => 90$ has been paid for SC2. Versus a one time 60$ offer.



Before you guys start posting your rebuttals, the above is contingent on the fact that you will play WoW/SC2 for those predetermined number of hours. Obviously if you still play WoW for 40 hours, and then play 20 hours of SC2 on top of that, then you need to go get a girlfriend.

At least for me, I quit WoW a while ago. And even if I was playing, I'd rather pay 60$ for a one time deal to guarantee a lifetime of playing SC2. By receiving SC2 in your WoW subscription, you'd be locked into 15$/month. Once you quit WoW, you'll still have to buy SC2. Unless you never quit WoW.
SichuanPanda
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada1542 Posts
June 24 2010 16:23 GMT
#92
Well I'm playing WoW currently and have been since beta went down (bored off my freaking ass), but I can safely guarantee that as soon as SC2 Phase 2 comes back, and then the subsequent release happens, I will not be touching WoW again until ATLEAST Cataclysm (and even at that I doubt I'll be jumping on playing that game ASAP like I did SC2).

Seems like Blizzard wants to encourage Korean players to take the subscription approach rather than to purchase the game. Digital Download sucks for us in NA because most of our internet is only 5-10 MBPS, with the exception of being in major cities, where fiber channels are available - however in S. Korea 20 MBPS and faster internet is widespread and cheap, and so a digital download really wouldn't be too big a deal. Of course I'm certain many Korean players would have loved to have an SC2 box if for nothing more than the collector's appeal.
i-bonjwa
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
June 24 2010 16:24 GMT
#93
Sounds like a great idea to me, they should do this here so we can crush wow nerds.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
Carga
Profile Joined June 2010
Netherlands58 Posts
June 24 2010 16:35 GMT
#94
Cool for Koreans that they get Battlenet 2.0 subscription... I am definitely gonna move to Korea lol.
AJMcSpiffy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1154 Posts
June 24 2010 16:39 GMT
#95
Woah I panicked a bit but didn't realize it was only for Korea.
If the quarter was in your right hand, that would've been micro
lesser_good
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Canada698 Posts
June 24 2010 16:40 GMT
#96
the only thing that bothered me was the censoring. If you dont want to show us than dont make something worth censoring
pew pew
Forlorn
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)69 Posts
June 24 2010 19:41 GMT
#97
So if I bought the CE would I be allowed to register it on the Korean server?

I was thinking that if they don't allow cross realm play then I might either buy 2 copies and play on the US server and Korean server or just play on the Korean one because it is more difficult.
Hi
vT.sOel
Profile Joined June 2010
122 Posts
June 24 2010 19:51 GMT
#98
reading this thread is hilarious. every 5 posts someone asks or says something painfully retarded and that is clearly addressed in the OP.
theDreamStick
Profile Joined May 2010
39 Posts
June 24 2010 19:54 GMT
#99
On June 25 2010 01:23 SichuanPanda wrote:
Well I'm playing WoW currently and have been since beta went down (bored off my freaking ass), but I can safely guarantee that as soon as SC2 Phase 2 comes back, and then the subsequent release happens, I will not be touching WoW again until ATLEAST Cataclysm (and even at that I doubt I'll be jumping on playing that game ASAP like I did SC2).

Seems like Blizzard wants to encourage Korean players to take the subscription approach rather than to purchase the game. Digital Download sucks for us in NA because most of our internet is only 5-10 MBPS, with the exception of being in major cities, where fiber channels are available - however in S. Korea 20 MBPS and faster internet is widespread and cheap, and so a digital download really wouldn't be too big a deal. Of course I'm certain many Korean players would have loved to have an SC2 box if for nothing more than the collector's appeal.



WHOA. 5-10 MBPS isn't really that slow. That's a 40-80 Mbit connection.

I think you mean Mb/S.

Also, even if it is only like a 8 Mbit/s connection, you're still download at 1 MB/s. That's really freakin fast. Starcraft 2 is probably in the neighborhood of 2 gigs, so you figure:

2048 / 60 => 30 minutes, give or take.

Think how long it'd take for you to goto gamestop, buy the game, come back, open/put CD in drive, and install it.

Digital download is completely viable. You're mistaken.
loadme
Profile Joined April 2010
171 Posts
June 24 2010 20:04 GMT
#100
Its not 2 gig

the beta maybe was 1.6 gig prepatched

but the final game includes everything
maybe more music
definitly many prerendered videos
intro video
things like tutorials
singleplayer
mass maps - at least i hope so
maybe an interactive manual


but your point is good.
a 2gig download is nothing today

and even less with a 50 mbit connection ;D
Yes.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 49m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 527
UpATreeSC 98
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 950
Dewaltoss 144
firebathero 89
Zeus 67
Trap 45
910 35
zelot 26
Sexy 24
Bale 23
JYJ 17
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 16
NaDa 16
Shine 14
Dota 2
Gorgc6571
420jenkins220
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1260
Fnx 846
edward72
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS144
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu1683
Other Games
summit1g4233
Grubby3237
Beastyqt740
B2W.Neo620
byalli417
KnowMe162
C9.Mang0158
TKL 109
BRAT_OK 76
Railgan18
Chillindude12
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV258
BasetradeTV257
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream120
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 6
• Adnapsc2 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki47
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur341
• WagamamaTV285
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
4h 49m
Kung Fu Cup
15h 49m
Stellar Fest
17h 49m
The PondCast
1d 14h
OSC
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.