• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:57
CEST 22:57
KST 05:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7212 users

An Open Letter to Blizzard Regarding Divisions

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 21 22 23 Next All
Gibybo
Profile Joined May 2007
United States229 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-22 12:06:25
May 22 2010 10:00 GMT
#1
Dear Blizzard,
I have never made a game capable of filling stadiums with tens of thousands of spectators. I don't have 11 million players playing in a world I created. Nor do I have 2.5 billion dollars laying around in my bank account. I am simply one fan with an opinion I think you need to hear.

As a competitive StarCraft II player, I feel obliged to let you know that I find your current ladder system disappointing. I understand it is a work in progress and you have a million other things to work on, so I don't want to focus on the technical shortcomings. Instead I will consider only the changes that have already been made.

From the overall design of a segregated ladder and recent changes such as removing division numbers and taking away the ability for any player to create a uniquely identifiable name, it is obvious that you intend to obscure each player's global ranking information as much as possible. While your goal may be to let us all feel better about ourselves, I find it frustrating and condescending. I want to know how I stand compared to everyone, and as it turns out, I'm not alone.

Since I launched StarCraftRankings.com a little over a month ago, over 30,000 people have checked the rankings of themselves and their friends more than 500,000 times. My logs show that several hundred of those were even from your own office.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy writing my own ladder page for a game I love, but I think we'd all prefer that you just stop hiding information from your most dedicated fans in the first place.

An eternal fan,
Gibybo

--
I have posted it on the front page of StarCraftRankings.com but I would appreciate some community support

On Blizzard's forums: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25026573397&sid=5000
Crunchums
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States11144 Posts
May 22 2010 10:02 GMT
#2
On May 22 2010 19:00 Gibybo wrote:
As a self-appointed representative of competitive StarCraft II players,

stopped reading here

User was temp banned for this post.
brood war for life, brood war forever
Zeromadcowz
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada241 Posts
May 22 2010 10:03 GMT
#3
thats a shame because what followed was intelligent
Pufftrees
Profile Joined March 2009
2449 Posts
May 22 2010 10:03 GMT
#4
Awesome man, personal thanks from me for making that site btw I've certainly used it. Hopefully you can use the site to leverage your case and get some real attention. Real feels condescending by Blizzard to try and hide the global ratings.
Chance favors the prepared mind.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
May 22 2010 10:04 GMT
#5
Signed a million times over.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
OminouS
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden1343 Posts
May 22 2010 10:04 GMT
#6
On May 22 2010 19:02 Crunchums wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2010 19:00 Gibybo wrote:
As a self-appointed representative of competitive StarCraft II players,

stopped reading here


You shouldn't have, the point he makes about starcraftrankings.com is really valid.
On the 6th day JF made Reavers and on the 7th day JF put his opponent to rest
lew
Profile Joined April 2009
Belgium205 Posts
May 22 2010 10:04 GMT
#7
Nice letter. I really hope that blizzard totally changes battlenet. Leagues are okay but divisions are not. Let's hope they remove the division crap and add a nice ranking. I also hope that the facebook thing gets removed.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
May 22 2010 10:05 GMT
#8
On May 22 2010 19:02 Crunchums wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2010 19:00 Gibybo wrote:
As a self-appointed representative of competitive StarCraft II players,

stopped reading here

You shouldn't have.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Therapist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States97 Posts
May 22 2010 10:05 GMT
#9
I completely agree with you Gibybo.
Necrosjef
Profile Joined March 2010
United Kingdom530 Posts
May 22 2010 10:08 GMT
#10
On May 22 2010 19:04 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Signed a million times over.


This.

/Signed
Europe Server Diamond Player: ID=Necrosjef Code=957
Kegs.aus
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia133 Posts
May 22 2010 10:08 GMT
#11
Agreed
Gibybo
Profile Joined May 2007
United States229 Posts
May 22 2010 10:09 GMT
#12
On May 22 2010 19:02 Crunchums wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2010 19:00 Gibybo wrote:
As a self-appointed representative of competitive StarCraft II players,

stopped reading here


That's unfortunate, I thought I made it clear with 'self-appointed' that I did not mean to claim I spoke for anyone else, although I think it is clear a lot of people agree with the message overall.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
May 22 2010 10:12 GMT
#13
Absolutely agreed. You never cease to amaze me, Gibybo. I feel the same way. You do a better job of explaining it than I would though >_<
leveller
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden1840 Posts
May 22 2010 10:14 GMT
#14
/signed sealed and sent to elven_z for playtesting...

Post on the official forums!
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
May 22 2010 10:14 GMT
#15
On May 22 2010 19:09 Gibybo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2010 19:02 Crunchums wrote:
On May 22 2010 19:00 Gibybo wrote:
As a self-appointed representative of competitive StarCraft II players,

stopped reading here


That's unfortunate, I thought I made it clear with 'self-appointed' that I did not mean to claim I spoke for anyone else, although I think it is clear a lot of people agree with the message overall.


You should take out "self appointed". Instead of showing Bliz that you don't "mean to claim [you] spoke for anyone else", it seems more like you're being pretentious.

Besides that... I agree with your message.

Signed.
Gibybo
Profile Joined May 2007
United States229 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-22 10:17:16
May 22 2010 10:16 GMT
#16
I think you're right, I've modified the wording a little to better fit the tone I was going for.
lynx.oblige
Profile Joined August 2009
Sierra Leone2268 Posts
May 22 2010 10:18 GMT
#17
You sure as hell have my support.
Everyone needs a nemesis.
sidesprang
Profile Joined January 2009
Norway1033 Posts
May 22 2010 10:20 GMT
#18
i dont mind the divisions as i actually find them to be kinda fun. But there should be someway of finding out if im better ranked than my friends. Mb just remove the bonus pool. then the score would be even for all the divisons.
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
Teejing
Profile Joined January 2009
Germany1360 Posts
May 22 2010 10:24 GMT
#19
/Signed
ComusLoM
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Norway3547 Posts
May 22 2010 10:24 GMT
#20
*signed and agreed in full.
"The White Woman Speaks in Tongues That Are All Lies" - Incontrol; Member #37 of the Chill Fanclub
1 2 3 4 5 21 22 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 450
ProTech152
StarCraft: Brood War
Bale 16
Dota 2
420jenkins590
Counter-Strike
fl0m4382
Fnx 598
minikerr4
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4820
Liquid`Hasu683
Other Games
summit1g4357
Liquid`RaSZi1714
FrodaN458
XaKoH 398
ToD249
C9.Mang0136
RotterdaM95
QueenE63
JuggernautJason34
PPMD28
Mew2King24
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV225
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream16
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21102
Other Games
• Shiphtur962
• imaqtpie557
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 3m
Patches Events
19h 3m
The PondCast
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 14h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.