• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:01
CEST 18:01
KST 01:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8279 users

2019 - 2020 Football Thread - Page 15

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 250 Next
New Thread Is Up!

https://tl.net/forum/sports/563091-2020-2021-football-thread
Bacillus
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland2114 Posts
August 06 2019 11:09 GMT
#281
What's driving Spurs to a compromise at this stage of a transfer window? For Eriksen there's mostly salary in current Utd and Spurs themselves don't seem to have any need for forcing transfers unless they're planning some major investment with the money.

Maybe they're getting rid of player who wants to go and grab Coutinho in the process. That seems pretty odd considering all the major pieces have been there throughout the transfer window, but that's still the best theory I've got.
sneirac
Profile Joined July 2012
Germany3464 Posts
August 06 2019 11:16 GMT
#282
Only 1 year left on contract, money now or he leaves for free
possession wins games, kante is washed up and shit - pande
Bacillus
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland2114 Posts
August 06 2019 11:52 GMT
#283
Ahh yeah. I felt like there had to be sudden change in something, but I guess Spurs were just rather optimistic someone is going to cough up that full 130 million and are now in a bit of hurry to get business done.
Greg_J
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
China4409 Posts
August 06 2019 12:29 GMT
#284
My first thought was why would he leave? Then I remebered that money exists.
Greg_J
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
China4409 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-08-06 12:58:57
August 06 2019 12:56 GMT
#285
Anyone ready to make predictions for the year? I want to put Liverpool up top but unfortunately I don't see it, so

England:
1 - Man City
2 - Liverpool
3 - Spurs
4 - Arsenal
5 - Man United
6 - Chelsea

Spurs/Arsenal might be close but Chelsea without Hazard and one of the worst Yanited sides ever won't give either team much trouble making top 4 in whatever order.

Munchen again in Germany, Juventus again in Serie A won't be much of a suprise but I predict a close title race in La Liga with Barcelona pushed right to the wire by the good Madrid team (Atletico). Do we need to talk about France?

edit: I forgot to make a Champions League prediction. To be honest I have no idea so I'm just going to arbitrarily say Barcelona because a clueless prediction is more fun than no prediction at all and siting on the fence.
bObaZ
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
Portugal864 Posts
August 06 2019 13:06 GMT
#286
On August 06 2019 20:09 Bacillus wrote:
What's driving Spurs to a compromise at this stage of a transfer window? For Eriksen there's mostly salary in current Utd and Spurs themselves don't seem to have any need for forcing transfers unless they're planning some major investment with the money.

Maybe they're getting rid of player who wants to go and grab Coutinho in the process. That seems pretty odd considering all the major pieces have been there throughout the transfer window, but that's still the best theory I've got.


Rumours in Portugal is that they made a formal offer for Sporting Lisbon's Bruno Fernandes of around 50M€, but it was rejected.

I think that they'll do business at around 65 to 70M€.


Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7424 Posts
August 06 2019 13:58 GMT
#287
On August 06 2019 21:56 Greg_J wrote:
Anyone ready to make predictions for the year? I want to put Liverpool up top but unfortunately I don't see it, so

England:
1 - Man City
2 - Liverpool
3 - Spurs
4 - Arsenal
5 - Man United
6 - Chelsea

Spurs/Arsenal might be close but Chelsea without Hazard and one of the worst Yanited sides ever won't give either team much trouble making top 4 in whatever order.

Munchen again in Germany, Juventus again in Serie A won't be much of a suprise but I predict a close title race in La Liga with Barcelona pushed right to the wire by the good Madrid team (Atletico). Do we need to talk about France?

edit: I forgot to make a Champions League prediction. To be honest I have no idea so I'm just going to arbitrarily say Barcelona because a clueless prediction is more fun than no prediction at all and siting on the fence.


Mostly agree with your predictions.

Germany: Dortmund will give Munich a run for the money, first game (and first title of the season ) Dortmund won 2:0 vs Munich. Supercup doesn't stand in really high regard though, but it does show where the team stands when playing with the seasons starting 11

CL: Though I do like Barcelonas lineup quite a bit, you can't really count out the finalists of last year IMO. Specially the losers will be quite sore I guess. So I'm going with Man City
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
sneirac
Profile Joined July 2012
Germany3464 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-08-06 14:07:29
August 06 2019 14:03 GMT
#288
I like it GregJ, when I told pande mine last week he called me a hater troll.

1. City - but with less than 90 points, they might focus more on CL with possible impending ban
2. Liverpool - cant see them maintaining performance + they can't get as lucky with offside goals
3. Spurs - had terrible luck with injuries and Son was gone for 2 national team tourneys last season
4. Yainted - Pogba will have to play for a new contract/trade at some point, no toxic Mourinho & improved defense
5. Arsenal - big buys in transfer window, should be really close to top 4 if they click
6. Chelsea - replaced Hazard with pulisic who wasn't good enough to be a starter in the Bundesliga, they will start hot but immediately struggle against average teams as soon as everyone has figured out that Lampards tactical horizon is lots of shots, mostly from outside the box
Newcastle + 2 promoted teams to get relegated

Germany - everyone writing off Bayern, bad transfer business, injuries galore, players they bought ages ago might be overrated, main competitors look improved -> Bayern win title, probably with record point tally or gap
Italy - Juve are spending a lot to win CL in the PSG way, and just like PSG they will dominate the league while failing in CL, Conte needs more than one seasono with Inter
Spain - Barcelonas biggest problem was scoring of non Messis against average teams, Griezmann should fix that. Their title to lose, atletico might make a big run while Real again looks like a KO team
France - lol
Netherlands - irrelevant, all hype going Max

CL - no idea, not City/PSG/Juve/Barca
possession wins games, kante is washed up and shit - pande
sharkie
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Austria18761 Posts
August 06 2019 14:16 GMT
#289
My Pl prediction:
1. Liverpool - Klopp has no reason to spend much on the CL this season, he already knows carabao and FA cup are worth shit - I only hope Ox and Shaqiri will carry some weight this season
2. City - I believe City will spend all their focus on the CL, losing Sane hurts
3. Arsenal - they barely missed top4 last season because of abysmal results the last 5? games, still came so close and got really quality signings this season
4. Utd - They got the offense and while I dont rate Maguire he is good enough to carry Utd to 4th place
5. Spurs - had tons of luck in the first half of the season which carried them in the 2nd half of the season. this might be the season the middle table clubs finally figure out that Spurs are nothing special
6. Chelsea - no Hazard, might struggle reaching 6th
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10011 Posts
August 06 2019 14:42 GMT
#290
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49208153

THis is an interesting article about Maguire. I was mocking my United supporting friends after spending a ridiculous amount of money on what I thought was a fairly average player, but the stats on this page actually make him look really good.

Its a shame there's no stats on the page about how many times players give the ball away... I think that's why I don't rate him.
RIP Meatloaf <3
Bacillus
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland2114 Posts
August 06 2019 14:55 GMT
#291
On August 06 2019 23:16 sharkie wrote:
2. City - I believe City will spend all their focus on the CL, losing Sane hurts

It feels like their attack is still mighty fine even if some of the players are starting to approach the decline years. Meanwhile Fernandinho has had some injuries and Rodri could take a while to adapt to the role. I think if there's a potential weakness in City, it's (still) the DM position.

I guess I'll have to trust Klopp and go:

1. Liverpool
2. City
3. Spurs
4. Arsenal
5. United
6. Chelsea

Realistically it's bloody hard to upset the monster of a team City is, but then again we've rarely seen Guardiola stick to one team long term. Maybe there's some 4th season slump in his system or something.

In Germany, I think it's going to be a good chance for Dortmund upset. They probably need a healthy Reus though, although Brandt seems like a nice addition and Sancho is likely still improving.

In Spain it's hard to see anyone beating the reinforced Barca unless Messi shows substantial signs of slowing down. Real hasn't looked like a title contender. Maybe they can pull off some UCL run, but at least the preseason has looked like it takes at least one more year to rebuild properly.
haitike
Profile Joined June 2009
Spain2744 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-08-06 16:04:32
August 06 2019 16:02 GMT
#292
Spain: I think it will be the same than last two seasons: Barcelona first and Atletico second.

CL: I think Manchester City or Juventus can finally win it this year. I can't see Barcelona winning it with Valverde as a coach, he is terrible in playoffs. PSG will fail as always.

Premier: 1 Liverpool 2 City 3 Spurs 4 Arsenal 5 Chealsea 6-10 MUnited. I think Liverpool will focus on premier league and they have a good chance this season.

Germany: I vote for Dormunt. Altough they screwed it last season at the end, I think they can win it this year. Bayern looks weak.

France & Italy: as usual.
Deleted User 173346
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
16169 Posts
August 06 2019 16:17 GMT
#293
--- Nuked ---
Deleted User 173346
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
16169 Posts
August 06 2019 16:50 GMT
#294
--- Nuked ---
sharkie
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Austria18761 Posts
August 06 2019 18:15 GMT
#295
On August 06 2019 23:42 Jockmcplop wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49208153

THis is an interesting article about Maguire. I was mocking my United supporting friends after spending a ridiculous amount of money on what I thought was a fairly average player, but the stats on this page actually make him look really good.

Its a shame there's no stats on the page about how many times players give the ball away... I think that's why I don't rate him.


I dont think anyone would say maguire is bad or only average. He just isnt worth being the most expensive defender of all time, that's the problem
KobraKay
Profile Joined March 2010
Portugal4392 Posts
August 06 2019 19:17 GMT
#296
After seeing Ajax's second goal today, never again will I complaing when such a ridiculous thing happens in FM xD

Regarding predictions, I really hope Tottenham gets a title with "this" generation. This is more wishful thinking thou.
CJ Fighting! (--.--)
Bacillus
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland2114 Posts
August 06 2019 19:49 GMT
#297
On August 07 2019 03:15 sharkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2019 23:42 Jockmcplop wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49208153

THis is an interesting article about Maguire. I was mocking my United supporting friends after spending a ridiculous amount of money on what I thought was a fairly average player, but the stats on this page actually make him look really good.

Its a shame there's no stats on the page about how many times players give the ball away... I think that's why I don't rate him.


I dont think anyone would say maguire is bad or only average. He just isnt worth being the most expensive defender of all time, that's the problem

I think the reddit threads have been concerned whether he's able to switch style from Leicester to Utd. As far as I've understood, Leicester still likes to sit deep and counterattack whereas Solskjaer probably plays far more active and high defensive formation.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
August 06 2019 23:12 GMT
#298
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
zev318
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada4306 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-08-07 00:37:49
August 07 2019 00:34 GMT
#299
On August 07 2019 08:12 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/1158807009430560768


seems hes just gonna rot away for this whole year

On August 07 2019 03:15 sharkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2019 23:42 Jockmcplop wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49208153

THis is an interesting article about Maguire. I was mocking my United supporting friends after spending a ridiculous amount of money on what I thought was a fairly average player, but the stats on this page actually make him look really good.

Its a shame there's no stats on the page about how many times players give the ball away... I think that's why I don't rate him.


I dont think anyone would say maguire is bad or only average. He just isnt worth being the most expensive defender of all time, that's the problem


i dont think "most expensive" means much anymore these days, it seems destined to be broken every 2-3 years going forward until european football implodes from the crazy transfer fees. eventually no one can afford any players.... right? right??
evilfatsh1t
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia8930 Posts
August 07 2019 04:40 GMT
#300
wow i did not realise there was a new football thread. i was wondering why it was awfully quiet for the past month. 15 pages of shit to catch up on lel
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 250 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM680
IndyStarCraft 155
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 680
Reynor 312
ByuN 256
TKL 244
IndyStarCraft 155
Railgan 72
Codebar 56
BRAT_OK 54
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 55650
Bisu 2892
Calm 2413
FanTaSy 946
Stork 602
Rush 470
hero 322
firebathero 162
actioN 138
Sharp 104
[ Show more ]
Free 52
ToSsGirL 40
Pusan 32
Mong 30
Rock 25
soO 23
Sexy 19
Aegong 17
Hm[arnc] 17
Terrorterran 17
HiyA 16
Noble 13
scan(afreeca) 10
Sacsri 9
IntoTheRainbow 7
Dota 2
Gorgc10124
Dendi1087
Counter-Strike
fl0m4492
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King72
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK5
Other Games
singsing2156
Liquid`RaSZi1595
B2W.Neo711
Beastyqt627
olofmeister546
Mlord490
Khaldor413
KnowMe303
crisheroes175
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV276
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Hinosc 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
• Reevou 0
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony5
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV526
League of Legends
• Nemesis3215
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1551
Other Games
• Shiphtur440
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 59m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 59m
OSC
6h 59m
Replay Cast
6h 59m
OSC
19h 59m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.