• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:45
CEST 19:45
KST 02:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7531 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 65

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 63 64 65 66 67 234 Next
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
August 21 2015 13:35 GMT
#1281
I don't know. If you are going faster than 90 RPM to me it feels like you are just trying to pump your legs as fast as possible. For a recovery phase it seems too fast. I jack up the resistance obviously to make 90 feel like a good number, but there are physical limits on how fast your legs can move that makes moving the resistance seem like a better option to me. Obviously I'm not a competitive cyclist though.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
August 21 2015 18:24 GMT
#1282
You need an airdyne to avoid such problems :D
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-21 20:26:49
August 21 2015 20:25 GMT
#1283
On August 21 2015 22:35 IgnE wrote:
I don't know. If you are going faster than 90 RPM to me it feels like you are just trying to pump your legs as fast as possible. For a recovery phase it seems too fast. I jack up the resistance obviously to make 90 feel like a good number, but there are physical limits on how fast your legs can move that makes moving the resistance seem like a better option to me. Obviously I'm not a competitive cyclist though.


For competitive road cycling, generally you want your RPM between 80-95 RPM. Any higher than 100 is quite silly in my opinion, unless you're doing a <30 second sprint. Obviously the difference is that the difficulty is set for you if you're biking (as you reach equilibrium between power output, and air + rolling resistance), while you'll need to try different resistances to get the desired outcome.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
August 24 2015 16:51 GMT
#1284
32 years old today. 73.5kg BW. Just did my birthday squats: 32 reps x 73.5kg.

Also pressed 73.5kg for fun after. Yay!!
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
August 24 2015 18:00 GMT
#1285
Congrats

Just feel like the entire world should see this:

https://instagram.com/p/6xmwwcAKmI/
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 24 2015 18:44 GMT
#1286
I knew what that was before I even clicked lol
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
coolTLname
Profile Joined January 2015
United States315 Posts
August 24 2015 22:39 GMT
#1287
i am doing this fruitatarian thing, 80 10 10 douglas graham.. i am the OG boss caveman.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
August 25 2015 01:25 GMT
#1288
it sounds like you are in the wrong thread then
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
August 25 2015 01:48 GMT
#1289
so I met this asian kid at the gym today who's about 5'7, and according to him, weighs 155lbs and have always been around the same weight. He's been lifting for 5-6 years since high school but with minimal progress the past 3 or so years. His maxes are 375lbs+ for squat but 400 before an injury, and 300 for bench. I've seen him put up 315x8 squats pretty easily before. I asked him if he eats protein or watches his diet and he said not really. I told him I'm really confused how he can get this strong without gaining weight or bulking/cutting. He looks really skinny but extremely cut. So how is this possible... does he just have naturally high metabolism and different muscle fibers or something? I'm assuming if he actually juiced then he would be a lot heavier?
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
August 25 2015 01:50 GMT
#1290
Those are like ordinary strength numbers for an adult male. He's just been lifting a long time and has efficient muscle fibers. He's also on the shorter side. I imagine he's pretty cut.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 25 2015 01:54 GMT
#1291
On August 25 2015 10:48 zulu_nation8 wrote:
so I met this asian kid at the gym today who's about 5'7, and according to him, weighs 155lbs and have always been around the same weight. He's been lifting for 5-6 years since high school but with minimal progress the past 3 or so years. His maxes are 375lbs+ for squat but 400 before an injury, and 300 for bench. I've seen him put up 315x8 squats pretty easily before. I asked him if he eats protein or watches his diet and he said not really. I told him I'm really confused how he can get this strong without gaining weight or bulking/cutting. He looks really skinny but extremely cut. So how is this possible... does he just have naturally high metabolism and different muscle fibers or something? I'm assuming if he actually juiced then he would be a lot heavier?


Genetics and years under the barbell. TBH, I haven't really bulked or cut in years or even paid much attention to my diet outside of general guidelines. Still got dem gainz
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-25 02:10:08
August 25 2015 02:03 GMT
#1292
so if I don't fall off the wagon I can expect to squat 2.5x BW in 3 years with average genetics? I go to a school gym that has a mix of athletes/vets/newbies and I've never see anyone squat or bench that much for someone that size.

Side question: I've read that it's best to breath from my stomach and holding the air in throughout the squat and breathing out at the top. Whenever I try it I can never maintain a full belly and am always more comfortable breathing out as I'm coming up. I do consciously try to tighten my core. Does it matter when I breathe out as long as I'm holding my breath until the bottom?
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
August 25 2015 02:19 GMT
#1293
No you can breathe out.

As for the strength question depends how tall you are. Shorter people always have an advantage in the relative strength department. I was squatting 2.5*bodyweight 6 years after I started lifting seriously. But I was larger and eating to gain.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-25 02:27:57
August 25 2015 02:27 GMT
#1294
On August 25 2015 11:03 zulu_nation8 wrote:
so if I don't fall off the wagon I can expect to squat 2.5x BW in 3 years with average genetics? I go to a school gym that has a mix of athletes/vets/newbies and I've never see anyone squat or bench that much for someone that size.

Side question: I've read that it's best to breath from my stomach and holding the air in throughout the squat and breathing out at the top. Whenever I try it I can never maintain a full belly and am always more comfortable breathing out as I'm coming up. I do consciously try to tighten my core. Does it matter when I breathe out as long as I'm holding my breath until the bottom?


Lighter/smaller people can lift more relative to their bodyweight FYI. I still haven't hit a 2.5bw squat.

I don't think about the breathing too much, as long as you have it in and tight coming out of the hole. I probably exhale somewhere around the sticking point to top on heavy reps.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
August 25 2015 02:53 GMT
#1295
RE: shorter people being stronger relative to bodyweight, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-cube_law#Biomechanics

If you're doing everything right, those numbers are good but not exceptional for having been lifting a couple years. Most people will fall short in one or more departments before they reach those numbers. Most often in my experience, it's poor intensity or poor consistency, followed at a distant (really really distant) third by poor programming.

provided you aren't a far outlier for your height, attention to diet isn't necessary at all to hit numbers like that.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-25 02:57:10
August 25 2015 02:56 GMT
#1296
On August 25 2015 11:27 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 25 2015 11:03 zulu_nation8 wrote:
so if I don't fall off the wagon I can expect to squat 2.5x BW in 3 years with average genetics? I go to a school gym that has a mix of athletes/vets/newbies and I've never see anyone squat or bench that much for someone that size.

Side question: I've read that it's best to breath from my stomach and holding the air in throughout the squat and breathing out at the top. Whenever I try it I can never maintain a full belly and am always more comfortable breathing out as I'm coming up. I do consciously try to tighten my core. Does it matter when I breathe out as long as I'm holding my breath until the bottom?


Lighter/smaller people can lift more relative to their bodyweight FYI. I still haven't hit a 2.5bw squat.

I don't think about the breathing too much, as long as you have it in and tight coming out of the hole. I probably exhale somewhere around the sticking point to top on heavy reps.


If you had done powerlifting instead of olympic lifting I have no doubt you'd have been squatting in the 500s by now. Oly style squats are just harder.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 25 2015 03:53 GMT
#1297
On August 25 2015 11:56 IgnE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 25 2015 11:27 decafchicken wrote:
On August 25 2015 11:03 zulu_nation8 wrote:
so if I don't fall off the wagon I can expect to squat 2.5x BW in 3 years with average genetics? I go to a school gym that has a mix of athletes/vets/newbies and I've never see anyone squat or bench that much for someone that size.

Side question: I've read that it's best to breath from my stomach and holding the air in throughout the squat and breathing out at the top. Whenever I try it I can never maintain a full belly and am always more comfortable breathing out as I'm coming up. I do consciously try to tighten my core. Does it matter when I breathe out as long as I'm holding my breath until the bottom?


Lighter/smaller people can lift more relative to their bodyweight FYI. I still haven't hit a 2.5bw squat.

I don't think about the breathing too much, as long as you have it in and tight coming out of the hole. I probably exhale somewhere around the sticking point to top on heavy reps.


If you had done powerlifting instead of olympic lifting I have no doubt you'd have been squatting in the 500s by now. Oly style squats are just harder.


Oh I've squatted in the 500s a few times and topped out at 510 (ATG, just belt and knee sleeves) weighing around 225 before i started getting injured and shit. Currently upper 400s. I'm sure i'd be in the 600 ball park if i was doing powerlifting lol
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
August 25 2015 12:04 GMT
#1298
Outdoor meet looked like fun decaf, grats on 1st
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
August 25 2015 12:18 GMT
#1299
At my strongest, I got to a 420 lbs squat for triples. At 6'2, I could definitely feel some structural limitations beginning to take hold. And then I blew out my knee and that was that
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-25 13:15:30
August 25 2015 13:15 GMT
#1300
On August 25 2015 21:18 farvacola wrote:
At my strongest, I got to a 420 lbs squat for triples. At 6'2, I could definitely feel some structural limitations beginning to take hold. And then I blew out my knee and that was that


6'1 here, no excuses!

On August 25 2015 21:04 mordek wrote:
Outdoor meet looked like fun decaf, grats on 1st


Thanks! Here's my 125kg/160kg from above mentioned outdoor meet this weekend. Only went 1/3 on snatches (125, 128x, 130x) but 3/3 on CJ (152, 156, 160).

https://instagram.com/p/6vQcGUwCFA/
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Prev 1 63 64 65 66 67 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2641
RotterdaM708
TaKeTV 306
IndyStarCraft 173
BRAT_OK 80
ZombieGrub35
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2641
RotterdaM 708
ByuN 379
IndyStarCraft 173
MaxPax 171
BRAT_OK 80
UpATreeSC 51
ZombieGrub35
RuFF_SC2 33
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3360
Shuttle 873
Mini 478
EffOrt 422
Rush 173
Dewaltoss 148
Mind 89
910 73
Zeus 70
HiyA 66
[ Show more ]
Shinee 60
hero 55
Bale 27
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 17
Sexy 10
zelot 10
Sacsri 8
scan(afreeca) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5619
qojqva2923
Counter-Strike
fl0m5245
pashabiceps791
Fnx 684
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2764
Other Games
singsing1985
Beastyqt798
ceh9672
mouzStarbuck247
XaKoH 121
C9.Mang074
QueenE72
Trikslyr65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 111
• StrangeGG 31
• Reevou 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV186
Other Games
• imaqtpie514
• Shiphtur296
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
5h 15m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 15m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
17h 15m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.