• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:38
CEST 02:38
KST 09:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8841 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 215

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 213 214 215 216 217 234 Next
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
April 02 2019 13:18 GMT
#4281
Aerisky couldn’t get fat if he tried, and yes, it’s totally normal to scope out gym locations and to plan out gymming while on vacation. I’ve had some of my best lifts while traveling actually.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
April 02 2019 19:59 GMT
#4282
On April 01 2019 21:27 mordek wrote:
Ha, there ya go. Moving in your area or you leaving for a job somewhere else?

Just moving across town.

On April 02 2019 10:06 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 09:05 Aerisky wrote:
Damn, when you guys go on vacation, do you look for gyms beforehand and stuff? Going on a trip for a couple of weeks, and I keep getting worried about losing the gainss and all that


Oh geez, don't be that guy who goes to an all inclusive to the Carribean, but still has to lift weights, just get a little fat, all will be fine

Actually, I think a reasonable balance is do some bodyweight stuff while you're on vacation. Push ups, hand Stand push ups, pull up bar, tons of options for core exercises with a bar or the floor, some vertical jumps and 50m sprints.

Two weeks you'll hardly notice a difference lol, I did that when I went for two weeks to Mexico (and I was super inconsistent since my friends made fun of me), and I was kind of at the end of newbie gains, 205/275/335 bench, squat, DL at 170lb 12%~, and I didn't lose more than 10lb in any lift. I guess depends just how far you're along in your training.

Do some mobility work, cardio with a run on the beach, a vacation is as good as any time to let your body reset a little bit, sometimes it helps. I made some quick gains after I came back, but that's probably more because I got fat on vacation.

I disagree. I enjoy lifting and I think it would add to a vacation, not detract from it plus if I'm in a larger city they probably have nicer/more powerlifting focused gyms that I would want to check out and enjoy. I doubt that remains the case in a caribbean all inclusive, but I still enjoy and look forward to going to the gym most days, so I'd try to get something in even if the gym wasn't the best.

I might scale it back to 4 times over the week, and I might not spend as long there or hit different types of exercises but I would absolutely still go to the gym on a vacation given the option.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
April 02 2019 22:17 GMT
#4283
Yeah I usually try to go to a gym at least once on vacation, always fun to check out other gyms and I feel better than not working out and being a bum the whole time
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
April 13 2019 07:21 GMT
#4284
How I lost 35 lbs in 10 weeks using Intermittent Fasting

The first thought that enters my head is that I never thought I would write anything like this. I’m pretty much the last person anyone would expect to be overweight. I’m pretty slender have been both active and skinny for most of my life. As I’ve said before, I did cross country in high school and completed 3 half-marathons. In college, I was part of a pretty intense Tae Kwon Do program, and I struggled to get above the 140 lb mark (NBA Height: 5’9’’). Alas, the ravages of time catch up to you and I found myself over 185 lbs over the holidays after about 7 years of of a 9-5 job.

I’ve gone on the record against the “calorie in, calorie out” model and I have dabbled with the “keto” diet. As with many other stories, I had some success with keto, but progress always plateaued after a month or so. Part of the difficulty with Keto is that it’s rather difficult to adhere to. Any slip up will essentially set you back for most of a week. Another issue is that I think there’s a tendency to overeat on Keto. While the CI-CO model is inane and idiotic, the fact is that any fat you eat is either going to go into the pot, and that might contribute to a slower fat burning. Low carb is probably what you want to get to as a maintenance diet, but I suspect you will see slower weight loss as you start to approach your target. Of course, I’ve seen a ton of success stories from people who were much more overweight than me.

Like a lot of guys, I carry almost every ounce of fat on my stomach. I still remained rather thin looking, but I definitely was starting to develop a dad gut. As most of the people in my family are/were overweight, I had long vowed that I would never go down that path. I figured I needed to lose about 15 lbs. I was hoping I had gained about 20 lbs of muscle. Oh, how wrong I was. By chance, a few months ago, I was perusing the youtubes and I came across a video about fasting. I wish I could remember who it was, but I cannot recall. The most prominent fasting proponent is Jason Fung, a nephrologist who became curious after becoming frustrated with diabetes treatment.

Unlike, a lot of other diets and exercise plans, where I would spend weeks researching, I started a fast within a week. I did a 48 hour fast and then my parents decided it was a great time to come see me and go to a Mexican restaurant. That went right through me. 48 hour fasts are a good way to jump start your fasting. I’ve gone as long as 72 hours, but I don’t feel the need to do really long ones, since I’m not morbidly obese. After those, I stick mostly to a 24* hour fast or One Meal a Day. The weight loss would proceed in spurts where the longer fast would jump start the process but most of the progress would occur during the “normal” periods of OMAD. I would stick to mostly low carb, but I gave myself a little wiggle room. Chik-Fil-A nuggets are a great favorite of mine and aren’t heavily breaded, so one 12 piece is within the daily keto allowance. Part of the beauty of fasting is that if you screw up and go off of it, you can just do a 48 hour fast, which is really just skipping one meal, and get right back on track. And I messed up a lot. The Superbowl and family visits and getting invited out. I am putting my timeline at approximately 10 weeks but I could have had so much faster/more progress if I had stuck to it more rigorously.
I’m closing in on 150, which is a lot more weight lost than I thought I’d have to lose. I still have a bit of ring of fat around my midsection, but I’m noticeably thinner. I’m curious how much lower I should go and if any of it is just loose skin.

Some observations:
-One of the first things you notice is that you won’t be hungry very much, which leads to the realization that we just eat so much food that we don’t need. The idea of eating three meals a day just seems like an overload now.
-I did lift fairly often during this, and I took that as a barometer of my health. I figured if I could still lift and feel well, then I was probably not overdoing it. Some days I did feel like I had little energy, but most days I was fine.
-I live by the McDonald’s Principle: If you had $2,000, you could either buy McDonald’s until you whittled it down bit by bit, or you could take a trip to some destination. Which is really going to enrich your life? So skip the Whataburger and McDonald’s and coke and Cocoa Puffs- that you really didn’t enjoy that much-, eat your keto OMAD during the week, and then on Sunday make your eclairs or chicken tikka masala or homemade fried chicken and mashed potatoes.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
Aerisky
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States12129 Posts
April 17 2019 04:41 GMT
#4285
Oops, totally forgot to check in on this thread!! Yeah, went with a group of people to somewhere I didn't know the language + we only had a single pocket wifi (and I only know how to nav with google maps etc etc), sooo didn't really end up gymming. Hoping I haven't fallen too far off the bandwagon. I got extremely bad congestion/eczema somehow despite being extremely careful with food allergies, and I feel like I've lost a shitload of weight/strength though

+ Show Spoiler [replies to peeps] +
@fiwifaki: yeah, that makes sense, I'm like definitely still well within newbie gains because I don't eat enough yeah, hopefully I didn't regress too much either I ended up not doing that much exercising -- it was a ton of just running around places. Hopefully my fitness hasn't been completely shot haha

@farva: oooh didn't know that, yeh maybe should try to go sometime. It just feels like a "waste" of a couple hours you could use to see more places, but I can see how gymming in a new location can be really fun in itself, and also it's good to keep up your fitness and all that.

@phyre: ahh yeah, kinda like what farva was saying might be worth it to get a one-day pass at the very least and check out the stuff there. I will say that I'm like very very very far in like amateur territory versus you guys, so I can see why it makes sense for you to keep it up and how checking the out the gym community would be pretty cool, vs for me it's more of a general casual health thing (even though I do go consistently day to day)

@decaf: truu yeah, none of my friends are really *that* into fitness but in the future I feel like I'd wanna work that in :p
Jim while Johnny had had had had had had had; had had had had the better effect on the teacher.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
April 20 2019 14:42 GMT
#4286


Sport for tiny humans is too easy. Snatches it like an empty bar.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
April 23 2019 03:26 GMT
#4287
Step aside WADA so we can see this man sn 500 lbs and CJ 600 lbs!!
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
April 24 2019 00:59 GMT
#4288
Any suggestions for body composition activities besides weightlifting? I'm kind of bored of chasing that.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
April 24 2019 01:19 GMT
#4289
Can you elaborate? Chasing body composition? Or chasing weightlifting?
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
April 24 2019 01:22 GMT
#4290
Weightlifting. I realize it's almost entirely a matter of "make muscles bigger".
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
April 24 2019 01:45 GMT
#4291
On April 24 2019 10:22 Jerubaal wrote:
Weightlifting. I realize it's almost entirely a matter of "make muscles bigger".


Huh the basics? Put weight on your squat/deadlift/bench and high reps on accesory movements.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
April 24 2019 01:48 GMT
#4292
I meant besides weightlifting.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
April 24 2019 01:50 GMT
#4293
So what do you want? Cardiovascular fitness? Are the usual activities not attractive?
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
April 24 2019 02:34 GMT
#4294
Some fitness would be nice, but mostly just get leaner and athletic looking. Usual activities?
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
April 24 2019 02:47 GMT
#4295
You could do gymnast and bodyweight stuff
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
April 24 2019 02:48 GMT
#4296
On April 24 2019 11:34 Jerubaal wrote:
Some fitness would be nice, but mostly just get leaner and athletic looking. Usual activities?


Sorry, by weightlifting I thought you meant the actual sport (Snatch, clean and jerk) and not avoiding barbells altogether.

I guess progress with a heavy KB, or the most boring activity there is, calisthenics. It's a weird question.
I do crossfit and there is ton to do without barbell, but avoiding them completely feels weird.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
April 24 2019 03:40 GMT
#4297
The reality is that "leaner" is mostly a matter of diet and "athletic looking" is mostly a combination of bigger muscles and leaner. If all you care about is not being fat just take up running, swimming, rowing, or whatever you want, while being mindful of what you eat.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
April 24 2019 04:09 GMT
#4298
I'm going back to school in the fall, so I'll have access to courts and rockwalls. And apparently softball is life for grad students.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
April 24 2019 16:29 GMT
#4299
It's a shame lifting weights has bored you. Is it a struggle to see progress while lifting and you're just not seeing a difference?
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
April 24 2019 17:10 GMT
#4300
You could start getting seriously into yoga.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Prev 1 213 214 215 216 217 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2478
Artosis 685
White-Ra 116
910 44
Dota 2
monkeys_forever586
NeuroSwarm201
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv300
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe160
Other Games
summit1g8893
shahzam598
JimRising 575
C9.Mang0316
ArmadaUGS60
RuFF_SC29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick790
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream334
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta20
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 22m
Afreeca Starleague
9h 22m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
23h 22m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.