• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:24
CEST 21:24
KST 04:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon109
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7644 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 214

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 212 213 214 215 216 234 Next
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-18 18:42:00
March 18 2019 18:41 GMT
#4261
Haven't really done anything remotely heavy since december, after doing my working sets of front squats at 125kg I casually worked up to an easy single at 170kg so looks like my body isn't totally useless, just very fickle.

On March 16 2019 04:23 mordek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2019 04:05 IgnE wrote:
What was frustrating about it? Looks good to me

I had a lot more trouble unracking and walking out than I expected. I'd been feeling pretty tight and braced the whole cycle but I know max weights is where things break down so that's ok. Felt like I lost all my cues which again is expected but I was hoping to be more locked in if that makes sense. Is that an acceptable amount of valgus on set 1?


I wouldn't read into it too much. Sometimes light weights feel heavy as fuck to walk out and vice versa. You can always add some accessory work like weighted lunges, farmers carries (and variations), etc. if you want to evaluate/work on your stability.

Knee valgus isn't great and i think your wider stance (well to me, weightlifters generally have more narrow stance) makes it look worse. Like igne said though it's not really something I'd judge off 1 rep at max weight, but if it's something that you can't correct at working weights or if it's something that is causing you pain then it might need some work.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-18 20:31:39
March 18 2019 20:31 GMT
#4262
Thanks decaf. I learned the lateral rotators in the hip reverse after 90 degrees and actually internally rotate so I think my knees out cue backfires there. Going to work on not pushing knees out and see if that actually keeps my knees out. I don't have any pain but was just a little alarmed with how it looked.

I'll try to get some footage of a working set soon, I'm in my speed/switching cycle now so I'm just re-learning cleans again
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
March 18 2019 22:39 GMT
#4263
Yeah, you do have a fairly wide stance for your hip structure it looks like, but the knees don't seem like a huge issue to me.

Form checks in general are best done as something like a double or (preferably) a triple within the 87-93% range. Heavy enough that you start to get breakdown but light enough that you shouldn't be in panic mode. 1RM is a coin flip whether it's going to go properly.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
March 19 2019 00:35 GMT
#4264
He’s just doing a powerlifting squat. I did them for years like that, and it’s one way to move a lot of weight. They are very useful for building strength and power in young athletes and lifters.

Personally I haven’t squatted like that for a few years now, and don’t even squat heavy anymore out of injury and longevity concerns. But I’m not one of those people who tells young people to lift (and eat) like I do now, without understanding that I built all the muscle I’m carrying around now by lifting as heavy as I could possibly manage and eating a shitload of food for 6 or 7 years
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
March 19 2019 03:52 GMT
#4265
dont get me wrong, I don't mean that fairly wide - bad, I just mean that's he's on the wider end of the spectrum. Nothing wrong with his stance, just different from the one that I use.
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17878 Posts
March 19 2019 11:45 GMT
#4266
Interesting look at Health and Deep Breathing.
http://discovermagazine.com/2019/apr/take-a-deep-breath

I've been a big fan of Eli Bay's work for over a decade.
https://www.elibay.com/
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
March 20 2019 20:58 GMT
#4267
Squatted 196kg yesterday, heaviest in a year and probably good for more. Woohoo rehab work is paying off and body starting to feel better.
On March 19 2019 20:45 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Interesting look at Health and Deep Breathing.
http://discovermagazine.com/2019/apr/take-a-deep-breath

I've been a big fan of Eli Bay's work for over a decade.
https://www.elibay.com/


Deep breathing is tight. I focus on it a lot when I'm doing core work, yoga, lifting, etc.

On March 19 2019 05:31 mordek wrote:
Thanks decaf. I learned the lateral rotators in the hip reverse after 90 degrees and actually internally rotate so I think my knees out cue backfires there. Going to work on not pushing knees out and see if that actually keeps my knees out. I don't have any pain but was just a little alarmed with how it looked.

I'll try to get some footage of a working set soon, I'm in my speed/switching cycle now so I'm just re-learning cleans again


Yeah muscles are crazy and everything does different jobs depending on movement. Internal rotation is super important in bottom of squat.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
March 26 2019 21:06 GMT
#4268
I've been trying to do heavier bench press (I use dumbbells) than I ever have and it was ok the first time, but yesterday when I tried it, my left anterior deltoid is feeling really weak and giving out. Should I do more auxiliary work? Not lift as heavy? It doesn't feel injured, but it didn't feel great the rest of the workout.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
March 26 2019 23:10 GMT
#4269
So you tried to do a heavier than usual (flat) db press and you feel like your anterior delt gave out? How do you get into positon? Are your elbows at 90 degrees from torso or tucked in? Is your back flat or arched?
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
March 27 2019 01:39 GMT
#4270
Well, I hold the dumbbells up over my chest and lean back onto the bench. Tucked in, chicken wing style. Moderate arch?
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
March 27 2019 03:38 GMT
#4271
Could be a weak upper back leading to overcompensation from your anterior deltoids. Without video or comparative diagnosis it's hard to tell whether your shoulder is overcompensating or whether your shoulder is too weak in itself.

The other possibility is that you just strained it a bit getting into position and it's not a big deal.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
March 27 2019 04:18 GMT
#4272
Both possible. What exercises would I do to strengthen upperback? I definitely think that's a weakness of mine.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
March 27 2019 22:37 GMT
#4273
Do band pullaparts every day. Start incorporating an upper back intentionality into every back workout. Keep the lower traps activated and the shoulderblades retracted in every pull
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
March 28 2019 03:31 GMT
#4274
Should I do a few before I bench to activate those muscles?
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
April 01 2019 06:49 GMT
#4275
Just came across the first pair of hookgrip knee sleeves that I bought like four or five years ago while I was packing up to move. They fit my elbows well enough to actually use them again so I guess that's neat.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
April 01 2019 12:27 GMT
#4276
Ha, there ya go. Moving in your area or you leaving for a job somewhere else?
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
April 01 2019 14:28 GMT
#4277
You got fat knees?
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
Aerisky
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States12129 Posts
April 02 2019 00:05 GMT
#4278
Damn, when you guys go on vacation, do you look for gyms beforehand and stuff? Going on a trip for a couple of weeks, and I keep getting worried about losing the gainss and all that
Jim while Johnny had had had had had had had; had had had had the better effect on the teacher.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
April 02 2019 01:00 GMT
#4279
On April 02 2019 09:05 Aerisky wrote:
Damn, when you guys go on vacation, do you look for gyms beforehand and stuff? Going on a trip for a couple of weeks, and I keep getting worried about losing the gainss and all that


yes
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-02 01:19:31
April 02 2019 01:06 GMT
#4280
On April 02 2019 09:05 Aerisky wrote:
Damn, when you guys go on vacation, do you look for gyms beforehand and stuff? Going on a trip for a couple of weeks, and I keep getting worried about losing the gainss and all that


Oh geez, don't be that guy who goes to an all inclusive to the Carribean, but still has to lift weights, just get a little fat, all will be fine

Actually, I think a reasonable balance is do some bodyweight stuff while you're on vacation. Push ups, hand Stand push ups, pull up bar, tons of options for core exercises with a bar or the floor, some vertical jumps and 50m sprints.

Two weeks you'll hardly notice a difference lol, I did that when I went for two weeks to Mexico (and I was super inconsistent since my friends made fun of me), and I was kind of at the end of newbie gains, 205/275/335 bench, squat, DL at 170lb 12%~, and I didn't lose more than 10lb in any lift. I guess depends just how far you're along in your training.

Do some mobility work, cardio with a run on the beach, a vacation is as good as any time to let your body reset a little bit, sometimes it helps. I made some quick gains after I came back, but that's probably more because I got fat on vacation.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Prev 1 212 213 214 215 216 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 521
UpATreeSC 110
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 960
Dewaltoss 120
firebathero 83
Zeus 69
Trap 43
910 39
Bale 23
NaDa 19
ToSsGirL 19
JYJ 17
[ Show more ]
zelot 14
Shine 12
Dota 2
Gorgc5940
420jenkins234
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1230
Fnx 918
edward66
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS133
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu1896
Other Games
summit1g4752
Grubby3068
Beastyqt701
B2W.Neo607
byalli413
C9.Mang0164
KnowMe160
TKL 148
shahzam90
BRAT_OK 67
Chillindude14
Railgan14
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV261
BasetradeTV251
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream115
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki41
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur377
• WagamamaTV290
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
4h 36m
Kung Fu Cup
15h 36m
Stellar Fest
17h 36m
The PondCast
1d 14h
OSC
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.