• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:07
CEST 03:07
KST 10:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War385.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9533 users

The LiquidLegends Lounge - Page 1739

Forum Index > The Shopkeeper′s Inn
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1885 Next
ruypture
Profile Joined May 2014
United States367 Posts
September 12 2017 20:43 GMT
#34761
On September 13 2017 04:56 Numy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2017 04:54 ruypture wrote:
On September 12 2017 05:17 Requizen wrote:
MUSIC MONDAY

GO BEYOND

PLUS ULTRAAAAA

+ Show Spoiler +


EXTRA HYPE VERSION 2

+ Show Spoiler +

I really like my hero academia so far but it feels like naruto with less character development. Deku and bakugo are the most fleshed out and everyone else is just miles behind in terms of depth and motivations. Half the class i don't know much besides their quirk and their name.

Naruto had zero character development for 95% of the anime lifespan. It seems a bit wrong to criticize academia for that. It's done a good job fleshing out some of the characters as the story progresses though. Todoroki is arguably more fleshed out that Bakugo by a fair margin.

let me clarify, side character depth. look at haku and zabuza. there was an entire arc that helped us learn more about these two characters that weren't really relevant after that arc.

compared to the summer tournament in MHA where we learned the other students quirks, and learned something about that one mind control kid from class B. we really didn't learn anything about anyone in class A besides the main characters.

어윤수|이신형|이재동|이승형
ruypture
Profile Joined May 2014
United States367 Posts
September 12 2017 20:46 GMT
#34762
On September 13 2017 05:09 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2017 04:54 ruypture wrote:
On September 12 2017 05:17 Requizen wrote:
MUSIC MONDAY

GO BEYOND

PLUS ULTRAAAAA

+ Show Spoiler +
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHakl2bMQYI


EXTRA HYPE VERSION 2

+ Show Spoiler +
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSZPUk1JjBE

I really like my hero academia so far but it feels like naruto with less character development. Deku and bakugo are the most fleshed out and everyone else is just miles behind in terms of depth and motivations. Half the class i don't know much besides their quirk and their name.

I'd rather have better main characters and overall story/pacing than 1000 side characters with their own arcs, which is what killed Naruto and Bleach for me.

There's not as much development outside of Deku, but there's enough to make the characters fun to spend time with and the plot moves along way better than most other shounen, which is why I'm digging it.

I totally agree that the characters are fun, I just dislike the filler episodes because when they're over we haven't learned much about the other students, so they feel kinda pointless to me
어윤수|이신형|이재동|이승형
Seuss
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States10536 Posts
September 12 2017 20:51 GMT
#34763
On September 13 2017 04:54 ruypture wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 12 2017 05:17 Requizen wrote:
MUSIC MONDAY

GO BEYOND

PLUS ULTRAAAAA

+ Show Spoiler +
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHakl2bMQYI


EXTRA HYPE VERSION 2

+ Show Spoiler +
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSZPUk1JjBE

I really like my hero academia so far but it feels like naruto with less character development. Deku and bakugo are the most fleshed out and everyone else is just miles behind in terms of depth and motivations. Half the class i don't know much besides their quirk and their name.


That's not a fair judgement. Naruto's classmates were completely undeveloped during the first story arc. It wasn't until the second arc, starting episode 20, that we even began to see any development for them beyond "this is Sakura's rival" or "this character is shy and secretly likes Naruto". They're basically little more than set pieces for the initial few episodes establishing Naruto's place as the class clown and local pariah.

Which is fine, developing characters takes time that sometimes storytelling can't afford, hence archetypes serve as stand-ins. It's just easy to project character development that happens later backwards onto them, especially with characters we know and love (case in point, 35 episodes into Naruto we still hadn't reached the Chuunin exam's tower, let alone seen either of Shikamaru's iconic fights).
"I am not able to carry all this people alone, for they are too heavy for me." -Moses (Numbers 11:14)
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
September 12 2017 21:05 GMT
#34764
I do wonder how long ago it was you watched Naruto and when you watched Boku no Hero. I just watched up to latest in last few weeks so it's pretty fresh. Kind of confused about the filler comment since there was basically no filler iirc. Naruto had tons of filler and it took a very long time to develop side characters. Even then it was mainly just Naruto that got developed throughout the story with the side characters getting token development at times. This was over 400 episodes too.

Boku no Hero's pace has been pretty fantastic. It's no HxH but hell what is. It's fun and giving cast members their moments to shine with little down time. Pretty solid for a Shounen.
Seuss
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States10536 Posts
September 12 2017 21:14 GMT
#34765
There's apparently a website that tracks filler (probably Naruto's fault).
http://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/naruto
http://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/my-hero-academia

So 35 episodes in both shows sport exactly one filler episode.
"I am not able to carry all this people alone, for they are too heavy for me." -Moses (Numbers 11:14)
GhandiEAGLE
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States20754 Posts
September 12 2017 22:07 GMT
#34766
I'd just like to comment that, while I normally shit on Naruto, the Great Bridge arc is actually really good before the series really goes and becomes the blandest shounen ever. It actually has a couple interesting ideas and themes other than "who is the strongest."
Oh, my achin' hands, from rakin' in grands, and breakin' in mic stands
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-12 22:23:13
September 12 2017 22:21 GMT
#34767
Naruto's peaks were never the issue. It's really just a product of how cutthroat the industry is that you have to sacrifice story and narrative in order to meet the production demands until eventually it falls low enough that the industry cuts your story leaving you with nothing. Naruto could have been great if it was allowed time instead of the way jump operates imo.

I really dislike how Manga operates but I guess Comics aren't exactly that great. At least web manga/comics seem to be taking off. HxH will prob be the pinnacle of shounen for a long time just due to how much freaking time togashi takes to write shit the bastard.
Holyflare
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom30775 Posts
September 12 2017 22:24 GMT
#34768
the HxH bee queen alien arc is trash tier though
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-13 09:09:35
September 13 2017 09:09 GMT
#34769
yea dunno why everyone likes it so much

by far the worst arc i guess the writer is just better at the more fun silly stuff
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
September 13 2017 09:11 GMT
#34770
Yorknew was better than like any shounen so it's fine.
Ketara
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States15065 Posts
September 13 2017 11:17 GMT
#34771
I pretty much thought the only part of Naruto that was good was the chuunin exams.

And yet I watched the whole thing. I'm a disgrace.
http://www.liquidlegends.net/forum/lol-general/502075-patch-61-league-of-legends-general-discussion?page=25#498
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
September 13 2017 12:57 GMT
#34772
I'm a filthy casual and enjoyed Naruto without much complaint. It's been awhile and I never did finish, lines up pretty much with when I got married and shared the tv screen. I'll play video games before watching a show by myself.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
rbetenoire
Profile Joined January 2015
United States28 Posts
September 13 2017 12:58 GMT
#34773
Chuunin exams put me to sleep. I really dislike tournaments in shounens so maybe thats why.
sung_moon
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10110 Posts
September 13 2017 13:22 GMT
#34774
I the Jiraiya vs. Pain/Sasuke vs. Itachi was my favorite Naruto arc.

Participating in my first RP campaign this Friday (Pathfinder). Hella excited, especially when I've been watching Critical Role, basically non-stop since starting it (on episode 30 now).
Forever Young
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
September 13 2017 14:18 GMT
#34775
On September 13 2017 21:58 rbetenoire wrote:
Chuunin exams put me to sleep. I really dislike tournaments in shounens so maybe thats why.

Tournament arc in Hero Academia was fucking awesome tho. Easily worth it for Deku v Todoroki and then just Bakugo at the end.


In non-weeb news, the first 9 chapters of the next Stormlight Archives book are up online and it's just so good to read Brandon Sanderson again. Not much revealed but I love these characters so much that just seeing them again is worth the preview.
It's your boy Guzma!
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
September 13 2017 14:21 GMT
#34776
No thanks. I'll just read the whole book when it comes out. No spoilers!@
ruypture
Profile Joined May 2014
United States367 Posts
September 13 2017 14:28 GMT
#34777
On September 13 2017 23:18 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2017 21:58 rbetenoire wrote:
Chuunin exams put me to sleep. I really dislike tournaments in shounens so maybe thats why.

Tournament arc in Hero Academia was fucking awesome tho. Easily worth it for Deku v Todoroki and then just Bakugo at the end.


In non-weeb news, the first 9 chapters of the next Stormlight Archives book are up online and it's just so good to read Brandon Sanderson again. Not much revealed but I love these characters so much that just seeing them again is worth the preview.

Speaking of waiting for books, has anyone heard anything about Dresden Files #16?

I went insane and bought every book and read them all in a month and I've been waiting like two years now for book 16 and it's been so long since I heard anything about Jim Butcher besides Codex Alera
어윤수|이신형|이재동|이승형
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
September 13 2017 14:46 GMT
#34778
On September 13 2017 20:17 Ketara wrote:
I pretty much thought the only part of Naruto that was good was the chuunin exams.

And yet I watched the whole thing. I'm a disgrace.

Same
Naruto couldnt even achieve the basic task of making me like the protagonists and/or disliking the bad guys. I was SO FUCKING HAPPY WHEN EVERYONE DIED at the end of Pain arc, the rage when retarded plot device no jutsu revived everyone was so real. Teut is my witness.
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
September 13 2017 14:49 GMT
#34779
I saw it was an anime about a ninja wearing a bright orange jumpsuit and hard passed.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
September 13 2017 15:19 GMT
#34780
On September 13 2017 23:28 ruypture wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2017 23:18 Requizen wrote:
On September 13 2017 21:58 rbetenoire wrote:
Chuunin exams put me to sleep. I really dislike tournaments in shounens so maybe thats why.

Tournament arc in Hero Academia was fucking awesome tho. Easily worth it for Deku v Todoroki and then just Bakugo at the end.


In non-weeb news, the first 9 chapters of the next Stormlight Archives book are up online and it's just so good to read Brandon Sanderson again. Not much revealed but I love these characters so much that just seeing them again is worth the preview.

Speaking of waiting for books, has anyone heard anything about Dresden Files #16?

I went insane and bought every book and read them all in a month and I've been waiting like two years now for book 16 and it's been so long since I heard anything about Jim Butcher besides Codex Alera

I check his website every month or so. It's still TBD unfortunately as far as release. I really enjoyed the first Cinder Spires book so its rather annoying to have multiple series to wait on and its the same guy working on both... I did this to myself though.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Prev 1 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1885 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings99
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE157
SpeCial 134
StarCraft: Brood War
Bale 25
Sharp 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever584
NeuroSwarm193
League of Legends
Doublelift4730
Counter-Strike
taco 323
Other Games
summit1g6929
JimRising 467
C9.Mang0352
ToD95
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick682
StarCraft 2
BasetradeTV167
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 99
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP78
• poizon28 39
• davetesta24
• Adnapsc2 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra1
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
8h 53m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
15h 53m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 53m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
Patches Events
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.