• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:03
CEST 18:03
KST 01:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7173 users

[Discussion] Top 5 go-to builds for all 6 matchups

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Kiaph
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
112 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-21 00:16:05
October 21 2020 00:12 GMT
#1
I would like to discuss this topic, because we now have the knowledge that changes in the meta will depend almost entirely on discovery, and ofcourse talent.

What are your go to builds ( up to 5 ) for any given match up?

Perhaps we can even get a poll going once we have a big enough pool of builds to choose from.

Builds do not have to be exact ,

Things like "Early oracle aggression into macro play" is pleanty of information. My goal with this thread is to find what people like to play , be it for aggression or defensive purposes.

Exact build orders , or short summary of previous/ideal games is totally welcome. Honestly I am really excited to dive head first into the meta knowing that it isn't going to suddenly change.


Then ofcourse use the discussion to better choose my off race play styles , and maybe even tempt me to try something new as a Terran.


Thank you for posting
Sprog
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand83 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-21 00:40:23
October 21 2020 00:29 GMT
#2
I only play P.

v T

1 Gate Expand. Twilight follow up with blink. Eventually adding robo - immo colossus.
2 Gate Aggro into expand (max pax or at home). Follow up with twilight, charge, stalker blink, dt blink. All round more a gateway centric style.

vZ

1 Gate Expand into mass gates with a sentry centric gateway push. Take a third at move out or before and tech into immortals etc
1 Gate 1 Stargate Expand.
1 Gate Expo. 3-5 gate and 2 robo follow up for a sentry stalker immortal push.

vP
Hold early cannon rush into disruptor
Hold early 2 adepts into skytoss battles.
Kiaph
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
112 Posts
October 21 2020 01:43 GMT
#3

vP
Hold early cannon rush into disruptor
Hold early 2 adepts into skytoss battles


Please tell me that these 2 are not the only varients in the pvp meta right now

Makes me so thankful to be a Terran
yubo56
Profile Joined May 2014
690 Posts
October 21 2020 22:17 GMT
#4
On October 21 2020 10:43 Kiaph wrote:
Show nested quote +

vP
Hold early cannon rush into disruptor
Hold early 2 adepts into skytoss battles


Please tell me that these 2 are not the only varients in the pvp meta right now

Makes me so thankful to be a Terran

PvP is also chock full of proxies (proxy 3-4 gate, proxy immortal, even proxy VR sometimes). Always an adventure.

PvP:
2 gate stalker stalker sentry sentry expand, blink, fast third + a few extra gates -> blink disruptor
2 gate adept adept stargate phoenix -> robo + fast third -> immortal archon chargelot

I'm a bit greedy aren't I

PvT:
blink 3 gate robo fast third -> blink charge 7 gate -> double robo colossus -> disruptor -> lose
2 gate robo fast colossus -> third -> blink (charge if 2 base tank push) -> disruptor -> lose

Been having a bit of trouble here I'm afraid

PvZ:
Zest 4 gate gladept -> blink disruptor
4DT archon drop -> blink disruptor
Oracle fast third -> immortal archon chargelot storm

I'm a P main, but I play a fair bit of off race:

TvP:
mine drop into 3 rax with tanks, second factory for mines + tanks -> lots of multiprong -> lose

TvZ:
2-1-1 into bio mine into lose because not enough multitask
hellion BC into battle mech
the brick (hellions, fast third CC double ebay -> 8rax marine tank allin)

TvT:
2 reaper 2 hellion -> marine tank (2 fact) -> 2 starport viking lib

ZvP:
3 base roach -> hydra lurker viper
4 base hydra ling bane -> hydra lurker viper

ZvT:
queen ling, fast lair -> muta/bane/evos, -> ling bane ultra

ZvZ:
31 hatch bane nest, pump a few lings, mass +1 attack roaches -> 4 base hydra lurker viper
Jung Yoon Jong fighting, even after retirement! Feel better soon.
Kiaph
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
112 Posts
October 22 2020 03:17 GMT
#5
PvP:
2 gate stalker stalker sentry sentry expand, blink, fast third + a few extra gates -> blink disruptor
2 gate adept adept stargate phoenix -> robo + fast third -> immortal archon chargelot


I noticed that these both utilize 2 gateway play, does the build that does 2 adept pressure also use 2 gateways?
yubo56
Profile Joined May 2014
690 Posts
October 22 2020 05:01 GMT
#6
On October 22 2020 12:17 Kiaph wrote:
PvP:
Show nested quote +
2 gate stalker stalker sentry sentry expand, blink, fast third + a few extra gates -> blink disruptor
2 gate adept adept stargate phoenix -> robo + fast third -> immortal archon chargelot


I noticed that these both utilize 2 gateway play, does the build that does 2 adept pressure also use 2 gateways?

Yeah! PvP is super standard in the early game, it's something like 14 pylon, 16 gateway, 17 gas, 18 gas, 19 gate, 21 core, 22 pylon, or so, so you end up with 2 gas + 2 gates, where the second gateway finishes at almost the same time as the core so you start both of your initial units at the same time, and those two initial units are the first major branch point in PvP build orders. 2x stalker gives you a bit more muscle, but 2x adept gives you a bit more map control by threatening to do damage. Stalker/sentry is another common option, giving you a fast hallucination scout, but it's fallen out of favor a bit lately since your unit count is a bit low initially.

The next major decision is when you choose to take the natural expansion, so I tend to favor a faster expansion when building stalkers, since I stay home with them, and I tend to favor tech when going adepts, since I have more chances to do damage. There are a lot of spins on this though, and I don't play enough that I can say my spin is correct.
Jung Yoon Jong fighting, even after retirement! Feel better soon.
Odowan Paleolithic
Profile Blog Joined May 2013
United States232 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-22 10:54:37
October 22 2020 10:48 GMT
#7
Haven't off raced enough to call a build. Mostly P. I play very differently.

Opening:

12 pylon 14 gate double probe scout

vs T

(attempt to delay CC/ fac with 2 zealots) core before nexus then stargate into fleet beacon, 1 or 2 carrier and take the 3rd sometimes cannon in mineral line before 1st carrier based on scouting.

The game is usually decided around or before the 1st carrier timing.

vs cyclone rush I can hold with 1st voidray and 2 battery but will be behind

vs any tech push I just have to kite non-stim marine with 1/2 carriers.

vs hard stim timing try get charge on time. I rarely see anyone do this since the current flavor is hellion/mines which delays stim.


vs P

(attempt to kill first pylon with 2 zealot) gate expand or core expand then stargate, switch to twilight dt after 2nd void ray

The game will boil down to 4 scenarios: A. chargelot archon vs mass pheonix/void ray. B. favorable defense and evolve to carrier archon/snipe observer and dt vs whatever. I can count on my fingers the times I lost to disruptors. C. Mass archon on more bases vs turtle skytoss. D. Mostly immortal / void rays + a few archons when playing against mass gateway/CIA.

vs Z

possibly nexus first when 1st probe meet hatch then twilight after stargate > 2 void ray + ~6 chargelot/2dt+4 chargelot whilte to kill 3rd while taking own 3rd and building 1st carrier add storm after 3rd finish.

If muta build cannons and sack void rays/chargelot. 1/2 carrier can usually hold initial wave, more archons and try to look for fight almost immediately after 1st/2nd engagement.

If swarmhost, build a few more air units and just go kill....

If hydra add storm. The first zerg attack usually decides the pace of the game. If it is held efficient enough

If roach corruptor add void ray (snipe overseer and warp dt).

If long game vs lurkers deny bases and add even more air units.

Edit: add details on specific responses.
I need a bigger fridge. I cannot hold all the Cheese that are given to me.
yubo56
Profile Joined May 2014
690 Posts
October 22 2020 14:36 GMT
#8
On October 22 2020 19:48 Odowan Paleolithic wrote:
Haven't off raced enough to call a build. Mostly P. I play very differently.

Opening:

12 pylon 14 gate double probe scout

vs T

(attempt to delay CC/ fac with 2 zealots) core before nexus then stargate into fleet beacon, 1 or 2 carrier and take the 3rd sometimes cannon in mineral line before 1st carrier based on scouting.

The game is usually decided around or before the 1st carrier timing.

vs cyclone rush I can hold with 1st voidray and 2 battery but will be behind

vs any tech push I just have to kite non-stim marine with 1/2 carriers.

vs hard stim timing try get charge on time. I rarely see anyone do this since the current flavor is hellion/mines which delays stim.


vs P

(attempt to kill first pylon with 2 zealot) gate expand or core expand then stargate, switch to twilight dt after 2nd void ray

The game will boil down to 4 scenarios: A. chargelot archon vs mass pheonix/void ray. B. favorable defense and evolve to carrier archon/snipe observer and dt vs whatever. I can count on my fingers the times I lost to disruptors. C. Mass archon on more bases vs turtle skytoss. D. Mostly immortal / void rays + a few archons when playing against mass gateway/CIA.

vs Z

possibly nexus first when 1st probe meet hatch then twilight after stargate > 2 void ray + ~6 chargelot/2dt+4 chargelot whilte to kill 3rd while taking own 3rd and building 1st carrier add storm after 3rd finish.

If muta build cannons and sack void rays/chargelot. 1/2 carrier can usually hold initial wave, more archons and try to look for fight almost immediately after 1st/2nd engagement.

If swarmhost, build a few more air units and just go kill....

If hydra add storm. The first zerg attack usually decides the pace of the game. If it is held efficient enough

If roach corruptor add void ray (snipe overseer and warp dt).

If long game vs lurkers deny bases and add even more air units.

Edit: add details on specific responses.

Wow these sound ridiculously annoying to play against haha. Great example of "honorable" vs "ladder" strategies. I've always favored build-of-the-week playstyles since I want to better understand how to watch pro games, I think finding your own slightly off-meta, aggressive build is much better for actually climbing the ladder.
Jung Yoon Jong fighting, even after retirement! Feel better soon.
virpi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Germany3599 Posts
October 22 2020 21:41 GMT
#9
On October 22 2020 23:36 yubo56 wrote:
Wow these sound ridiculously annoying to play against haha. Great example of "honorable" vs "ladder" strategies. I've always favored build-of-the-week playstyles since I want to better understand how to watch pro games, I think finding your own slightly off-meta, aggressive build is much better for actually climbing the ladder.

Yeah, having a crisp "off meta" build helps. It has to be versatile and precise, otherwise you'll become a one trick pony. I play an aggressive style of macro zerg.

ZvZ
Standard 3 base opener, bane nest for safety. Ling pressure on the third, ling / bling allin, if I spot a weakness. Otherwise, I transition into a 1-1 roach/rav pressure while taking the 4th, 2-2 follows. Meanwhile I have always 1 group of lings harassing the perimeter of his bases. Lurker / viper core is the goal for late game, I try to go for a high drone count and never stop trading. My best matchup right now. If I wanna switch it up, I go for a 14 hatch with an earlier pool. The goal is to fake the "standard" expand and go for a quick speedling allin.

ZvT
3 base opener, highly reactive playstyle. I'm best at hydra/ling/bane, so that's my go to comp vs. bio. I go mutas on smaller maps. Vs. battlemech I play mass low tech units. Vs. turtle mech, I try to hit a timing with lurker / viper / stuff (mostly ling, bane, rav). I really suck at those drawn out games vs. skyterran or super turtle mech, because I'm not patient enough at picking engagements. Vs. bio I try to trade as efficiently as possible and go for the kill as soon as I see an opening. Watching Reynor really has opened my eyes when it comes to drone count. I'm far off his speed and execution, but the general idea holds up well. Just sauron the shit out the terran.

ZvP
3 base opener into weird stuff if they go macro, e.g. nydus vs. fast 3rd. I'm decent at "standard" games with a roach heavy army, my go to ground unit in the late game is the lurker. My weakness in drawn out games also shows here, because I'm always missing the attack timing vs. skytoss transitions. Sometimes, I still do really wonky mass muta switches, which certainly won't work in higher MMR, but actually do work in mid masters, if you manage to trick your opponent. My go to "Fuck this, I want to laugh" build is an old roach nydus build by Scarlett. It's completely stupid, but works too well to be ignored.

I'm currently 4,7k, so no pro, but also not terribly bad.
first we make expand, then we defense it.
Kiaph
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
112 Posts
October 23 2020 03:45 GMT
#10
The goal is to fake the "standard" expand and go for a quick speed-ling allin.


I am only diamond, but when I watch others in team leagues or in my clan play this is a very standard go-to strategy.

I see it so often I wonder how it still works, but I guess that is because 3 base is so strong in ZvZ as an opener players just ascend towards it and assume their opponents must be doing the same. I could be wrong, but the amount of games I see ended by this "fake" standard push when observing games, even at low GM, makes me wonder why we don't see this more in pro games.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech141
SteadfastSC 136
Rex 42
UpATreeSC 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33998
Calm 3430
Shuttle 2301
Jaedong 1732
Mini 635
Horang2 578
EffOrt 500
Soma 321
Rush 293
Stork 289
[ Show more ]
Soulkey 251
ZerO 219
Larva 217
BeSt 187
Snow 161
firebathero 116
Mong 100
Zeus 91
910 81
hero 79
Mind 71
sorry 44
Hyun 43
Free 37
Shinee 36
Sharp 35
Shine 30
ToSsGirL 28
Yoon 28
PianO 24
Killer 23
Aegong 21
JYJ 21
Bale 19
Terrorterran 18
Sexy 15
scan(afreeca) 14
Trap 14
Rock 12
HiyA 12
Sacsri 10
Hm[arnc] 10
Noble 4
Dota 2
Gorgc5693
Dendi1247
420jenkins228
Counter-Strike
fl0m3787
x6flipin640
Fnx 78
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King76
ChuDatz31
Other Games
singsing2146
Liquid`RaSZi1222
hiko655
B2W.Neo647
dupreeh511
ceh9345
crisheroes323
RotterdaM319
Khaldor291
Livibee196
TKL 173
QueenE111
Trikslyr93
Dewaltoss62
ZerO(Twitch)16
Beastyqt12
C9.Mang00
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV261
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH293
• Hinosc 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3560
• WagamamaTV427
League of Legends
• Nemesis2621
Other Games
• Shiphtur755
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
17h 58m
INu's Battles
18h 58m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
20h 58m
OSC
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 6h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.