• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:24
CEST 09:24
KST 16:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9703 users

Most Comprehensive Guide to Protoss Hotkeys Setup

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
aScPraiise
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States100 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-05 17:52:30
June 23 2016 19:11 GMT
#1
I have seen many players since the beginning of Starcraft make videos on hotkeys and many of them are fantastic and very insightful. The thing that always kept be unsatisfied was that I felt like each video only had a piece of the whole picture when it comes to setting up hotkeys. So, it would take me about 10-15 videos before I could wrap my head around a wholesome amount of information to proceed with setting up hotkeys. Well I don't want gamers having to go through the same process as me so I've put all of the information in one place!

***Revision: For those of you who have seen the original video, below is a shorter revision video where I show my current setup as of August 2016 with some extremely helpful illustrations and tips!

Hotkeys Revisited (My Legacy of the Void Setup)



This Original Guide covers all of the following topics:

-The dangers of a sub-par hotkey setup.
-The difference between Pro and Semi Pro Setups in game play.
-The secret ingredient to optimal hotkey creation.
-A Diagram of the most optimal hotkey setup.
-A replay example of 0-10 hotkey usage simultaneously.
-Adjusting to the learning curve and adapting your new setup.


I hope this Guide serves you all well.

The Most Comprehensive Guide to Protoss Micro, Macro, & Production Hotkeys in Starcraft 2


God is Good.
SwiftRH
Profile Joined August 2013
United States105 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-06-25 06:10:46
June 25 2016 06:06 GMT
#2
seems like using mouse buttons for ctrl and shift way better. well made vid. you should cast things
Man MODE!
aScPraiise
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States100 Posts
June 26 2016 08:27 GMT
#3
That's an interesting concept Swift. It definitely seems very convenient. I'd love to see it live if you have a video example. What would be interesting to see is if the concept of holding down a button on your mouse and moving your mouse during gameplay aren't too opposite of concepts to the point where when using the buttons or sliding your mouse doesn't throw the other mechanic off. Does that make sense?
God is Good.
aScPraiise
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States100 Posts
August 05 2016 17:53 GMT
#4
***Revision: For those of you who have seen the original video, below is a shorter revision video where I show my current setup as of August 2016 with some extremely helpful illustrations and tips!
God is Good.
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
August 05 2016 20:05 GMT
#5
Why not hotkey your forges or other upgrade builds to 7 with your last hotkey?
The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
aScPraiise
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States100 Posts
August 05 2016 20:39 GMT
#6
That's a fair point sabas123. You most absolutely could. I usually make it a point to place upgrade/techs close to Nexii and since I double forge its only 3 clicks per game to que full upgrades not including tech. It's not the most optimal so I would definitely consider your recommendation for something like my 9 or 0 Key. Thanks bud!
God is Good.
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-06 11:23:09
August 06 2016 11:22 GMT
#7
On August 06 2016 05:39 aScPraiise wrote:
That's a fair point sabas123. You most absolutely could. I usually make it a point to place upgrade/techs close to Nexii and since I double forge its only 3 clicks per game to que full upgrades not including tech. It's not the most optimal so I would definitely consider your recommendation for something like my 9 or 0 Key. Thanks bud!

Its not 3 clicks only, its also a screen relocation that bugs me the most, especially in intense games.
The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
aScPraiise
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States100 Posts
August 06 2016 20:47 GMT
#8
3 hotkey clicks***
God is Good.
valkkan
Profile Joined January 2014
Argentina1 Post
August 14 2016 03:09 GMT
#9
Hey @aScPraiise, pretty good videos. You know, I was getting a hard time with LotV at its release so I stopped playing Sc2 since Nov 2015. Right now I'm getting back to it, Gold 3 at the moment and was using the Fleet Alloy layout but it doesn't fit me well.

I saw your videos and thought that your layout could be great to me, can you share your SC2HOTKEYS file? I was trying to make my own hotkeys file watching your videos but I'm so damn rusty and keep forgetting about some unit's abilities and I notice that while in a match, I'm so damn bad.

Keep the hard work making videos, greetings.
lastcraft
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom5 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-08-21 14:46:03
August 21 2016 12:25 GMT
#10
Hi Praiise (indeed)...

You asked about other hotkey setups? I use a setup which shares two of your core ideas - the top-left-ness and the easy second keypress after hitting a structure hotkey. I am only Plat1 so these are ideas only, but I was mostly Gold before changing my layout for LotV.

In my case I have the numerical control groups far left, i.e. 1, 2, tab, Q, W, A, S, \, Z , X (on UK keyboard). This is primarily for the ring finger.

The selecting keys (lavaa, advanced buildings) as E, D. The E key is my middle finger rest point when macro'ing.

The action keys (some rapid fire) form the remainder and overlap with E, D. I.e. 3, 4, 5, 6, E, R, T, D, F, G, C, V, B. This is for the index or middle depending.

The macro stuff is at the top 2 two rows, the army stuff at the bottom 2 rows. The attack button is the space bar, cancel is mouse thumb button. Pinky is used for shift, pinky laid flat for ctrl + shift. Tilda is the base camera.

I have prised out the caps lock (I do that in real life anyway). This allows the flat pinky, but also my pinky rests there so as to anchor. I've tried textured keys for anchoring, but that was a fail.

All of this elaborate rearrangement does is allow me to do fast macro triplets and fast repeated army doublets.

By triplet I mean bringing all three fingers down at once but with the ring finger slight higher and the index finger higher still. This gives three rapid key presses just by bringing by hand down in a certain shape. For example, when playing as Zerg, I have my hatcheries on W, E is select lavaa and R is make ling. WER (holding the R) insta-spams lings. E is also the make drone, so WE (hold) spams drones. 4 is overlord. To make 2 ovies (4) and 10 roaches (T): WE4, WE4, WET(hold). That's 3 hand movements. The extra key presses are possibly inefficient, although I don't think so, and it's a lot less thinking this way.

A Terran example (similar for Protoss). I have bases on W, raxes on 2, factory on 1 and starports on Q. Worker is again WEE. Marine is 23, marauder 24, tank13, mine 1e, medivac Q4, lib Q3, etc. Mules are WED.

Combat is similar. A is my main army, X the flyers, Z is tanks/lurkers. S, \, Z usually for defence. S becomes spell casters. e.g. fungal plus bile becomes AD, SD. Here the space bar attack starts to make sense. As I am constantly boxing and attacking, I don't want to displace my fingers too far. By using the thumb to hit the space bar, I have an nice error free attack move that doesn't cause me to lose hand anchoring. The feeling is one of a gentle ripple rather than the contortionist hand movements I was doing before.

As a plat player I am not about to recommend this setup, but I can say it's been a dramatic gain for me without being as radical a change as the Core. My play sounds less stoccato and more like trickling rain.

yours, Marcus
deadmau
Profile Joined September 2010
960 Posts
September 19 2016 20:19 GMT
#11
Is this better than Core? I used to play Master Protoss in WoL, haven't played since and am curious if I should use the Core layout which I've never used before -- or should I switch to yours? I'd like to pick one before I start, any suggestion is appreciated.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1382
BeSt 287
Soulkey 127
Soma 111
sorry 106
Mind 71
Bale 25
ZergMaN 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm178
League of Legends
JimRising 587
Counter-Strike
edward21
Other Games
summit1g9173
Coldzera 717
WinterStarcraft676
C9.Mang0270
Sick196
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick708
BasetradeTV208
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2234
Other Games
• Shiphtur643
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
2h 36m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
4h 36m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 36m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 36m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.