Haven't see many people using this but I'm finding it very strong. Swarm Host drops seem viable in almost all match ups if you adjust the build according to the opponents build.
The biggest thing I've noticed is that having overlord speed and drops with the Swarm host makes them easier to use because you're able to escape and come back and attack at many angles over and over.
I urge zerg players to try this out and follow the unit control steps:
1. Release swarm host from overlords and drop some creep (if time applies)
2. Release locust and pick up swarm hosts quick as possible (use que cmd)
3. drop in another location and repeat over and over.
4. mix it up a bit and leave 1 swarm host while picking up one and moving on. (this will force more attention on your opponents side)
- cost efficient as time goes on
- very distracting
- cant be ignored because of the quick DPS of locast
- can sometimes play hands off when there isn't detection
- seems to buy a lot of time and contains well
- leads in to hive quickly
- can play it safely due to range of locust
- can be difficult to control sometimes (if they have quick detection or are aware early)
- high risk high reward applies here
- lossing anything early on is pretty big deal and more so with swarm hosts because they kind of need to be massed in most cases
- still difficult to defend home against drops/warp ins/harass
- air obviously
- very long build times (upgrades and unit itself)
There is massive amount of room to improve on this. For example if I played a little faster I could focus buildings and workers but keeping track of 2 drops and one frontal attack is already pretty taxing on attention.
Banner by SVivum (overlord) and Existor (swarm host lover)