• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:41
CEST 18:41
KST 01:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8421 users

[G] Hæssebust: ZvZ Baneling All-In (Or is it?) - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
September 18 2012 16:40 GMT
#21
Lmao 3 Geyser hæsse, now that's baneling aggression!
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
k!llua
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Australia895 Posts
September 18 2012 17:07 GMT
#22
targa banes much?
my hair is a wookie, your argument is invalid
aFganFlyTrap
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia212 Posts
September 18 2012 17:14 GMT
#23
i believe its called Targa banes
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
September 18 2012 17:33 GMT
#24
I haven't watched many Targa games, but it would not surprise me at all to find that he is among those who have used this style most effectively.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
ChadMann
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia128 Posts
September 18 2012 18:16 GMT
#25
Yeah this is a build Targa has been using. I've also used it - as a Diamond zerg taking games off unsuspecting GM's and players loads better than I. Like any all in, if you catch them unprepared - its an easy win. Scout the three gas no Lair - evo wall and a few spines hold this all in pretty easy.
#1 ANZ SC2 Team Manager https://twitter.com/ChadMannSC2
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
September 18 2012 21:51 GMT
#26
On September 19 2012 03:16 ChadMann wrote:
Yeah this is a build Targa has been using. I've also used it - as a Diamond zerg taking games off unsuspecting GM's and players loads better than I. Like any all in, if you catch them unprepared - its an easy win. Scout the three gas no Lair - evo wall and a few spines hold this all in pretty easy.

It's not that easy to scout the gas and lair timings, though. This style gets Zergling speed as early as possible for a hatch-first opening. Speedlings + Queens make it possible to deny scouting of overlords and zerglings.

Also, if your opponent opens with any lower-economy form of Speedling or Baneling aggression, he'll be hard-pressed to hold off the counter-attack.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
TheCSerps
Profile Joined April 2011
Australia19 Posts
September 18 2012 22:36 GMT
#27
Glad to see TargA banes getting the recognition it deserves as a legitimate strategy for high level ZvZ. Thank you for writing up about his build.
inFeZa
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Australia556 Posts
September 19 2012 03:45 GMT
#28
This build is also known as the TargA or Norwegian Bane Train.
Starcraft 2 in-game Observer. Follow me twitter.com/infeza
osiris17
Profile Blog Joined September 2012
United States165 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-19 13:07:13
September 19 2012 12:52 GMT
#29
On September 18 2012 06:33 lodeet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 18 2012 05:20 osiris17 wrote:
On September 18 2012 05:12 CheesyJunk wrote:
One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly.

Get ahold of yourself man!
On September 18 2012 05:12 CheesyJunk wrote:
Can you pinpoint any reactionary scenarios where the 2 gas variant is preferred (such as against very fast 3rd)?
Against a 2 base play you will be behind unless the opponent sucks. But many people suck at defending extended attacks from lings & banes, and most of the success you may have with this strategy is attributed to that.
I havent faced the 2 gas variant with a fast 3rd. They'll have less banes for a certain period before warren, so they will need a crawler...

If you've gone for a fast third and dont have roaches when the initial bust hits, you're DEAD. A mere crawler won't help you at all, as you will have maybe 6-8-ish defensive banelings yourself facing 20+ banelings lined up in pairs, as well as a huge force of zerglings ready to do runbys/snipe queens if your own banelings gets out of position. Due to the way the pairing and rallying is executed, its the defender that has to perform the baneling micro, not the attacker, who then can focus on his lings while his banelings are on move command into the mineral lines.

One, two or maybe even three spines will not be enough to hold this; it doesn't require more than 4 banes to kill a spine, and if you can get a few of your opponent banes, lings or morphing spines as well, it shouldnt really be much of a question for the attacker to trade 4 of his 20+ banelings for your only stantionairy defense. Then, with the gas advantage the attacker should be able to keep up the attack and in the end break the opponent.

I believe that you will be dead. But I am good at handling crisis scenarios. If anyone wishes to know how to handle this situation, read my post. The way you describe events in your post, it's clear you don't understand how this would play out. I don't know how this opponent is getting 20 banelings and a metric ton of lings without you noticing. I suggest you work on scouting. If you wish to sacrifice your fast 3rd build out of fear / inability to react defensively, that's your perogative. The ZvZ macro fast 3rd can work, it just takes practice and planning. I would try this and post a replay on here but I don't have access to a personal computer currently. But I'll remember this thread, and next time I run into it, I will post a replay on here. Or one of you can PM me and we can get a game setup in a few days.


You can't assume your always going to be able to scout / defend against this attack as easily as you proclaim. I don't care how good your crisis management is. Chances are you will always have less banes then your opponent while defending and i want to see you defend against 10 waves of paired banes plus lings. I agree it can be defended well if you prepare and execute properly but ling bane micro is very difficult with little to no room for error.

Right now people are reacting poorly to this strategy. It takes them by surprise, and that cannot be underestimated. The more common it becomes, the less it will work.
And yes, I do think I can always scout it. If they have built 20 zerglings for banelings, and then additional zerglings in order to defend those banelings, they have built 30 or more zerglings. I think scouting the drone count and noticing they don't have their gas or 15 drones is going to be a pretty solid indication.
If their natural is saturated and they have both gas taken (like they should if teching), then it's a confirmation against this build.
If really necessary, scout the natural at a certain timing to check the units popping off it.
This build hasnt been integrated into the metagame yet... I don't think it will last. I'd rather practice honing my defenses against this than surprising people with it.

The first build is so old and dealt with. It punishes greed sometimes, I guess. Open with a crawler and you can defend it even with greed.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. - sun tzu
ggMufasa
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia24 Posts
September 19 2012 13:25 GMT
#30
Thread should really be called "Targa banes".

Build is great vs muta players or players that neglect roaches, and even if they do have them you'll sometimes just have such overwhelming numbers that it can just kill your opponent regardless.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
September 20 2012 00:04 GMT
#31
On September 19 2012 22:25 ggMufasa wrote:
Build is great vs muta players or players that neglect roaches, and even if they do have them you'll sometimes just have such overwhelming numbers that it can just kill your opponent regardless.

Definitely! Yeah I'm wondering if you scout roaches after building lings whether you should abandon the bust.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
ggMufasa
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia24 Posts
September 20 2012 00:39 GMT
#32
On September 20 2012 09:04 TangSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2012 22:25 ggMufasa wrote:
Build is great vs muta players or players that neglect roaches, and even if they do have them you'll sometimes just have such overwhelming numbers that it can just kill your opponent regardless.

Definitely! Yeah I'm wondering if you scout roaches after building lings whether you should abandon the bust.


Depends on the amount of roaches, if he's trying to take a 3rd and has only made 4-6 roaches for defence that shouldn't be a problem.

It's probably when he's also going for an all in where he has 10+ roaches where you'll have trouble busting... but then ofc once you scout that many roaches you just through down a few spines at home and with the amount of lings you have you can just use them for counter attacks to delay the push.
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
September 20 2012 02:21 GMT
#33
In my experience, this is very bad against Roach/Ling or Roach/Bane all-ins. It's a strong build, but both defendable and vulnerable to other styles. Good for tournament coin flip wins or low league laddering.
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
Biggun69
Profile Joined December 2010
187 Posts
September 20 2012 03:17 GMT
#34
This build was invented by Targa and is called 'Targa Banes'
RPR_Tempest
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Australia7799 Posts
September 20 2012 13:38 GMT
#35
On September 20 2012 11:21 oOOoOphidian wrote:
In my experience, this is very bad against Roach/Ling or Roach/Bane all-ins. It's a strong build, but both defendable and vulnerable to other styles. Good for tournament coin flip wins or low league laddering.

...lol.
Soundwave, Zerg player from Canberra, Australia. @SoundwaveSC
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-21 01:57:25
September 21 2012 01:55 GMT
#36
On September 20 2012 11:21 oOOoOphidian wrote:
In my experience, this is very bad against Roach/Ling or Roach/Bane all-ins.

Not necessarily, I think that would depend on the timing of the Roach/Ling or Roach/Bane all-in. If your opponents go for too low a drone count, I think this style can hold off the all-in with an advantage. If they go for too many drones, I think the bust hits before they get a sufficient amount of roaches to defend. There's also the opportunity to win unorthodox games with good decision making (ie. counter-attacking.)

On September 20 2012 11:21 oOOoOphidian wrote:It's a strong build, but both defendable and vulnerable to other styles. Good for tournament coin flip wins or low league laddering.


In some ways I can see how you'd say it's a coin flip build (against some roaches builds you'll be shut down completely), but it can be used reactively at times too against fast Mutalisk styles. You also can't say it's only good for low league laddering, because it has been consistently used by high-level ZvZ players.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-21 05:56:05
September 21 2012 05:54 GMT
#37
On September 21 2012 10:55 TangSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2012 11:21 oOOoOphidian wrote:
In my experience, this is very bad against Roach/Ling or Roach/Bane all-ins.

Not necessarily, I think that would depend on the timing of the Roach/Ling or Roach/Bane all-in. If your opponents go for too low a drone count, I think this style can hold off the all-in with an advantage. If they go for too many drones, I think the bust hits before they get a sufficient amount of roaches to defend. There's also the opportunity to win unorthodox games with good decision making (ie. counter-attacking.)

Show nested quote +
On September 20 2012 11:21 oOOoOphidian wrote:It's a strong build, but both defendable and vulnerable to other styles. Good for tournament coin flip wins or low league laddering.


In some ways I can see how you'd say it's a coin flip build (against some roaches builds you'll be shut down completely), but it can be used reactively at times too against fast Mutalisk styles. You also can't say it's only good for low league laddering, because it has been consistently used by high-level ZvZ players.

That's why I said it's good in tournaments for coin flips. Even reactively used against lair builds it's a coinflip, especially if you don't know exactly what their lair is for. I recognize that high level players use this, but some pros also use 10 pool speedling or baneling all-ins in ZvZ too and those are undeniably coin flip builds too.

The point about "low league laddering" was that while this is a coin flip build for tournaments, in low league play it's likely to work a majority of the time.
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
September 21 2012 14:25 GMT
#38
On September 21 2012 14:54 oOOoOphidian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2012 10:55 TangSC wrote:
On September 20 2012 11:21 oOOoOphidian wrote:
In my experience, this is very bad against Roach/Ling or Roach/Bane all-ins.

Not necessarily, I think that would depend on the timing of the Roach/Ling or Roach/Bane all-in. If your opponents go for too low a drone count, I think this style can hold off the all-in with an advantage. If they go for too many drones, I think the bust hits before they get a sufficient amount of roaches to defend. There's also the opportunity to win unorthodox games with good decision making (ie. counter-attacking.)

On September 20 2012 11:21 oOOoOphidian wrote:It's a strong build, but both defendable and vulnerable to other styles. Good for tournament coin flip wins or low league laddering.


In some ways I can see how you'd say it's a coin flip build (against some roaches builds you'll be shut down completely), but it can be used reactively at times too against fast Mutalisk styles. You also can't say it's only good for low league laddering, because it has been consistently used by high-level ZvZ players.

That's why I said it's good in tournaments for coin flips. Even reactively used against lair builds it's a coinflip, especially if you don't know exactly what their lair is for.


In that sense, couldn't you argue that all builds are essentially coin flips? I don't think using this build against a fast 4-gas player would net only a 50% win/loss ratio, it would be much higher.

On September 20 2012 11:21 oOOoOphidian wrote:I recognize that high level players use this, but some pros also use 10 pool speedling or baneling all-ins in ZvZ too and those are undeniably coin flip builds too.


There's a big difference between 1base builds that aims for 10-15 drones and 2base builds that aim for 24-38 drones. Those earlier forms of aggression are more of a commitment, and they're usually "blind" (not used in response to your opponent's build.)

On September 20 2012 11:21 oOOoOphidian wrote:The point about "low league laddering" was that while this is a coin flip build for tournaments, in low league play it's likely to work a majority of the time.


I understand what you mean, I think I just dislike the term "coin-flip" because it's kind of negative and implies that either you win or you lose, when I think we can all agree that ZvZ is much more unpredictable than that because there are a lot of games that I would consider "grey areas," where it comes down to execution and decision-making. I also don't know whether this build is more or less likely to work in the lower leagues, it seems like speculation...you may very well be right, I'd just need to hear your reasoning. I would personally argue that this build is better for higher-level players who can manage the injects/Zergling production while properly morphing in Banelings 2 at a time, with the experience to make the optimal decisions with the Banelings.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
ChadMann
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia128 Posts
September 23 2012 08:49 GMT
#39
On September 20 2012 09:04 TangSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2012 22:25 ggMufasa wrote:
Build is great vs muta players or players that neglect roaches, and even if they do have them you'll sometimes just have such overwhelming numbers that it can just kill your opponent regardless.

Definitely! Yeah I'm wondering if you scout roaches after building lings whether you should abandon the bust.


When I do the build - if I scout roaches I focus them with the banes if there are 4ish Roaches, any more and I avoid the roaches and go straight for the run by to kill drones, while I put down my own Roach Warren and a spine or two, get Lair and play defensive. Usually I'd die if I didn't get some good drone hits, which is easy to do.
#1 ANZ SC2 Team Manager https://twitter.com/ChadMannSC2
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
September 23 2012 17:05 GMT
#40
On September 23 2012 17:49 ChadMann wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2012 09:04 TangSC wrote:
On September 19 2012 22:25 ggMufasa wrote:
Build is great vs muta players or players that neglect roaches, and even if they do have them you'll sometimes just have such overwhelming numbers that it can just kill your opponent regardless.

Definitely! Yeah I'm wondering if you scout roaches after building lings whether you should abandon the bust.


When I do the build - if I scout roaches I focus them with the banes if there are 4ish Roaches, any more and I avoid the roaches and go straight for the run by to kill drones, while I put down my own Roach Warren and a spine or two, get Lair and play defensive. Usually I'd die if I didn't get some good drone hits, which is easy to do.

Ok, so if you scouted roaches you'd still put on the initial pressure with the Zergling/Baneling mainly with the goal of killing workers, so that you can transition to roaches yourself with a worker advantage. I think this sounds more solid than continuing to reinforce Ling/Baneling, since they're probably going to build at least 6-8 roaches when you first engage.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 136
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 558
IndyStarCraft 136
BRAT_OK 45
MindelVK 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26622
Bisu 1336
Shuttle 1247
Hyuk 773
Mini 479
firebathero 197
Sexy 63
hero 62
Mong 48
Hyun 43
[ Show more ]
Killer 42
Trap 39
Pusan 37
PianO 37
Liquid`Ret 26
ToSsGirL 26
zelot 18
Rock 15
Sacsri 11
Bale 10
ggaemo 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9139
qojqva1699
Dendi951
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1561
crisheroes1234
Liquid`Hasu689
Other Games
singsing1876
fl0m1670
FrodaN1660
Beastyqt671
Mlord451
Hui .246
Liquid`VortiX173
Livibee155
ArmadaUGS145
KnowMe141
Mew2King60
Trikslyr35
CosmosSc2 18
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 48
• mYiSmile126
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• Michael_bg 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8302
Other Games
• Shiphtur282
• WagamamaTV201
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
19m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 19m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 19m
INu's Battles
19h 19m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 19m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.