• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:44
CEST 04:44
KST 11:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8060 users

[H] Banerain

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
October 31 2011 10:04 GMT
#1
Today I have played three games against this strategy. All three games were a loss. Here is the prototypical scenario:
- Zerg gets around 160 supply with roaches
- Adds baneling nest and maxes on roach/bling (+ infestor/muta/hydra/lings sometimes)
- I engage the Zerg with my mostly stalker composition (since he makes roaches)
- Banerain wipes out everything making it 160/200 for the zerg and 110~/200 for me
- Zerg gets to 200/200 quickly and is able to stockpile resources, and eventually win the game

This late midgame baneling switch is seriously driving me crazy, I can't think of the proper way to counter this. Perhaps my unit composition is completely off? Perhaps I'm not as equal/ahead I think I am? I don't know, but here are three replays and maybe a second opinion will enlighten me.

Game 1: vs aTMojar http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/Plexa/sc2_reps/plexa_vs_mojar_bane.sc2replay
Okay the zealots put me behind a bit and he could have come a lot sooner with more stuff and killed me. But that didn't happen. Nevertheless after the initial aggression the game was quite passive. My 4th was slow-ish compared to his 4th/5th but I was being cautious (maybe I shouldn't have been?). Nevertheless, when we engaged I was 180 he was 200 and he wiped me out completely. The blink forward was bad, but I was hoping to snag a few of his infestors and didn't anticipate that he can banelings =/. The rest of the game is a slow struggle towards death since after that I am lightyears behind.

Game 2: vs Odal http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/Plexa/sc2_reps/Plexa_vs_Odal_bane.sc2replay
This game I enter the midgame behind after my zealots do nothing. As a result I'm trailing most of the game. But after I kill his first max and he remaxes with banes I feel like the fight is incredibly one sided, whereas if he had not built banes then the fight would have been more even. This game I don't mind losing to banerain as I was behind, with that said it still looked absurdly powerful against what I was doing.

Game 3: vs whiteout http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/Plexa/sc2_reps/Plexa_vs_white_bane.sc2replay
Kinda weird opening since he took gold first, nevertheless I eventually kill it with a VR/Zeal/sentry push. After that point I things are at worst even between us. Game progresses and there are small jabs from each side, none of which causes either side to get a significant advantage. My armour upgrades were a little slow, but I don't think that was a major factor. Then he attacks my fourth with roaches + banerain and wipes out everything. From there, it is once again a slow struggle.

My openings are not so good, mostly because I'm trying to get a nice fe 2gate suited for me. But I don't think any of the games are lost because of that. Perhaps I'm wrong, and my opening is making me fall behind more than I should. My standard unit composition is Stalker/Immortal/Templar/Sentry sometimes with zealots.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
tehneXus
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia38 Posts
October 31 2011 10:10 GMT
#2
moar air units, less stalkers try kiwikakis 2gate into 2 stargate
I eat NOOBS
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 10:12:58
October 31 2011 10:12 GMT
#3
There is no way you watched a single replay, nor does it answer the question in any way shape or form
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
tsango
Profile Joined July 2011
Australia214 Posts
October 31 2011 10:15 GMT
#4
I like going blink if they look to be doing a 2base play after i FE, (ive noticed on ladder lately a lot more zergs doing 2 base roach hydra all ins for some reason) where i'll go to ~6gateways TC and a forge.
You have to keep in mind stalkers are only really better than roaches if they have blink, otherwise roaches are 75-25 stalkers which you wont beat on a cost effectiveness basis.
If they go into a fast 3rd which is a more standard response with a roach warren ive been finding going air really effective, making 1-2 void rays and then 5-8phoenix.

In dealing with the bane rain, being able to blink back and a-move-a-move in retreat will let you snipe some of the overlords/banelings dropping out without taking too much damage, alternatively if you get air you take complete map control and deny that scenario from occurring.
If you dont like something, then that should be reason enough to try and change it
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 10:22:14
October 31 2011 10:20 GMT
#5
Okay I don't think you have watched any of the replays either.

G1 I blinked in, got fungaled, then banelings dropped on me.
G2 I blunk backwards but the banes still did damage
G3 I blunk backwards but I don't have a lot of room because he was offensively dropping my 4th.

Blinking back is still going to mean you're going to lose all your tech units (sentries, templar, immortals, colossus) so I don't really think that is a solution. Stalkers are weak as shit, saving them won't save the game since all my gas units have been blown up.

Regarding heavy air; that's a stylistic thing. I don't think mass air is viable vs Zerg. I think it puts you far too far behind and if they go Hydra (like in G3) it's instant loss. Moreover, if they eventually get hydra that forces Colossus and a standard ground army and once again, late game banerain becomes an issue.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
tsango
Profile Joined July 2011
Australia214 Posts
October 31 2011 10:20 GMT
#6
I probably should have also mentioned, if he goes hatch first, his speed will be late, and you can keep your first scouting probe alive and moving around the map. When your at ~40-45food you want to check his third, if its not there go into blink, if it is go air
If you dont like something, then that should be reason enough to try and change it
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 10:23:33
October 31 2011 10:23 GMT
#7
On October 31 2011 19:20 tsango wrote:
I probably should have also mentioned, if he goes hatch first, his speed will be late, and you can keep your first scouting probe alive and moving around the map. When your at ~40-45food you want to check his third, if its not there go into blink, if it is go air

wtf every replay was pool first, and I pylon natural every game. I get that you're trying to help but you can't help without watching any of the replays. I should really warn you =/
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
RuneZerg
Profile Joined February 2011
Denmark90 Posts
October 31 2011 10:26 GMT
#8
havnet watched the replays, dont have time atm. but ill try help out anyway. I used to really love going roach or ling + banedrops, however a protoss with good stalker micro usually completely decimates it. you lay down forcefields to block out the roaches, and if he doesnt pull his overlords back you snipe them and try save your sentries from the few banes that will drop out. If he pulls back you try to snipe 1-2 overlords and just repeat. When finally your forced to engagem it's pretty much like marine splitting, you grab a handful of stalkers and blink them to the right, blink some to left etc. with a good split the banedrop will become rather useless. Since i havent watched the replay i dont know if you added in collosi, but to deal with the roaches after the drops are done id really recommend collosi - else the roaches might just clean up your stalkers on their own. Hope that helped out a bit
tsango
Profile Joined July 2011
Australia214 Posts
October 31 2011 10:26 GMT
#9
i watched game 1, you should never be tempted to blink so aggressively onto infestors, especially when theres that many with energy, you will never get them all before being fungaled and donated - that was pretty much what happened, the forcefields were decent but not quite enough, past that point your army count got reset too hard that you couldnt pressure him and he proceeded to take the entire map.

Your warp prism was decent, against someone without a spire its best kept in the air floating behind their bases on metal because they'll know its there but theres nothing they can do about it
If you dont like something, then that should be reason enough to try and change it
firehand101
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3152 Posts
October 31 2011 10:28 GMT
#10
You really need forcefields and blink micro to deal with banes. They are unstoppable, but they are negated through walls since they are melee (forcefields) and if they are through overlords, well then blink is the best solution but even then its tough man

and i didnt know mods played the game.......scary
The opinions expressed by our users do not reflect the official position of TeamLiquid.net or its staff.
JonnyLaw
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States3482 Posts
October 31 2011 10:29 GMT
#11
Wow, this thread is full of exactly what your post detailing strat forum responses demands not be in a response.

Watching the replays now. But really guys check out this thread and note the author. It's like you're trolling and do not even realize it.
IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
October 31 2011 10:30 GMT
#12
This sounds...Delicious :D

I've been looking for something to revitalize my zvp lately and this sound very nice. I'll check the replays tonight. I'm not sure I was the intended audience but thanks :D

frantic.cactus
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand164 Posts
October 31 2011 10:31 GMT
#13
How about not blinking straight back which balls your units up. Instead blink micro your stalkers into small groups to help to negate splash?

I've also seen HasuObs run backwards and chain storm the approaching banefilled ovies.

Just theorycraft but I assume splitting is as important in PvZ as TvZ =)
Terran it up since 2007
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 10:45:05
October 31 2011 10:33 GMT
#14
On October 31 2011 19:26 tsango wrote:
i watched game 1, you should never be tempted to blink so aggressively onto infestors, especially when theres that many with energy, you will never get them all before being fungaled and donated - that was pretty much what happened, the forcefields were decent but not quite enough, past that point your army count got reset too hard that you couldnt pressure him and he proceeded to take the entire map.
I think trying to snipe infestors is generally worth the gamble, particularly since neither of our armies were in good positions. Even if stalkers get fungaled being able to kill off a few infestors seems like a decent trade. Happy to hear some other opinions on this though.

I realise that after the army count got reset game was over, the point of the thread was how do i make it so that my army count isn't reset so heavily.
On October 31 2011 19:31 frantic.cactus wrote:
How about not blinking straight back which balls your units up. Instead blink micro your stalkers into small groups to help to negate splash?

I've also seen HasuObs run backwards and chain storm the approaching banefilled ovies.

Just theorycraft but I assume splitting is as important in PvZ as TvZ =)

You can blink a long distance away and that stops them balling too. I don't think that is the answer though, it would help forsure. The run backwards storm/blink snipe works to a point, typically useful vs the ling/bling strategies that morrow uses but vs roahces into late game switch.. I don't think its as effective since storm doesn't clean up roaches and without stalkers roaches can overpower things, unlike lings which you hope to kill with archon/storm.
On October 31 2011 19:26 RuneZerg wrote:
havnet watched the replays, dont have time atm. but ill try help out anyway. I used to really love going roach or ling + banedrops, however a protoss with good stalker micro usually completely decimates it. you lay down forcefields to block out the roaches, and if he doesnt pull his overlords back you snipe them and try save your sentries from the few banes that will drop out. If he pulls back you try to snipe 1-2 overlords and just repeat. When finally your forced to engagem it's pretty much like marine splitting, you grab a handful of stalkers and blink them to the right, blink some to left etc. with a good split the banedrop will become rather useless. Since i havent watched the replay i dont know if you added in collosi, but to deal with the roaches after the drops are done id really recommend collosi - else the roaches might just clean up your stalkers on their own. Hope that helped out a bit

I think this is good advice in general, but I don't know if it's applicable in this case. Mostly because sentries are usually few and far between in the late midgame and often you'll get engaged in areas which you can FF off and do as you say. I think the only game which this mightve help is G1 but even then it's a bit debatable. Happy to hear more arguments in support of this though.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
MagickMan
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia498 Posts
October 31 2011 10:38 GMT
#15
You have a gas in you main with 2500 on it at the 20minute mark ^.^, also that blink was what seemed to be your undoing in the first game, maybe just try blinking 5 or 6. Will update when i finish ^.^
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 10:45:37
October 31 2011 10:40 GMT
#16
On October 31 2011 19:38 MagickMan wrote:
You have a gas in you main with 2500 on it at the 20minute mark ^.^, also that blink was what seemed to be your undoing in the first game, maybe just try blinking 5 or 6. Will update when i finish ^.^
Yeah... that was bad (they 2500 gas) :p I definitely didn't expect to see banes when blinking forward though T_T
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
RuneZerg
Profile Joined February 2011
Denmark90 Posts
October 31 2011 10:47 GMT
#17
had a chance to watch g2, you had no sentries when you engaged and your army was a lot smaller than his, imo a very strange time to move out. I prolly wouldnt go stargate after a failed 2 gate pressure build, you know he's at lair and has his 3rd build already.

In the last engagement i dont think any amount of micro could've saved you - he was just too far ahead by then
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
October 31 2011 10:50 GMT
#18
On October 31 2011 19:47 RuneZerg wrote:
In the last engagement i dont think any amount of micro could've saved you - he was just too far ahead by then
I accept that he had the game won. But with that said I dont think I was as cost effective as I should have been in the deciding engagement. Agree/disagree?
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Doko
Profile Joined May 2010
Argentina1737 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 10:51:57
October 31 2011 10:50 GMT
#19
On all 3 games It seemed that you were just trying to force your way in instead of taking your time or when defending having a proper concave set up.
There's also some major macro slip ups that are contributing to making this look more powerful than it actually is.

To be a little more specific.

G1 = you though he's infestors were vulnerable and went for it. Your ambush backfired and lost your whole army on top of being severely behind from that zealot push that honestly did nothing and opened you up for a counter attack that took the fear away from zerg.

G2 = Once again you have no information of whats ahead, you go straight in for the kill without looking around and poking to measure his army.

G3 = no clear concave to defend, and at that point you really needed some colossus either way.

Basically I would recommend you get some phoenix or hallucination to keep yourself informed on where his army is at all times while attacking to get into a position that can threaten him just by being there. If he's not patient you'll crush him and if he is just take your time and play like terran mech user.

cheers

Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 10:56:59
October 31 2011 10:54 GMT
#20
Thank you for the excellent post Doko one question though, upon seeing the banes being loaded up should I change my unit composition? Or is it more important to take it slow and play like RuneZerg suggests.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft423
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft423
RuFF_SC2 133
Nina 84
-ZergGirl 70
CosmosSc2 41
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2346
Bale 12
yabsab 9
Terrorterran 4
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
febbydoto12
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1175
taco 366
minikerr21
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox630
Other Games
summit1g8258
JimRising 732
Day[9].tv494
C9.Mang0411
WinterStarcraft197
ViBE169
Maynarde138
Sick136
Livibee134
ArmadaUGS35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1052
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream157
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 16
• OhrlRock 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv494
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
8h 16m
Stellar Fest
10h 16m
The PondCast
1d 7h
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
OSC
1d 21h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.