• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:09
CEST 20:09
KST 03:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7834 users

Vikings vs. Banshees, Nash Equilibrium

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
CCGaunt
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States417 Posts
April 27 2010 20:42 GMT
#1
Hey everyone, now I may be just a simple college freshman, but I love game theory in microecon. as of right now. The only real example we've encountered are Nash Equilibriums. I'll skip some background and go straight to my point. In many commentaries I see people debating whether or not to get Banshees and rush the other player in TvT. Of course the other player usually responds with Vikings. Now this made me think, hey, hard counters can be applied in a Nash Equilibrium. This is when you point out the choices made, generally by two people, and see how much benefit is possible in charts.

[image loading]

I will now explain my pathetic chart above. Players 1 and 2 have two options, building Vikings or Banshees. I kept this as simple as possible as to try and make a point. Please do not spam me about externalities and the possibility of simply saving units, I wanted to analyze decision making in a limited but applicable environment. To work a Nash Equilibrium, you simply choose the options with the most benefit according to the other players choice. For example, Player 1 chooses Banshees, now Player 2 can either build Vikings or Banshees, I put the benefit for building Vikings against Vikings as a 1 to represent that usually both players just harass each others Vikings, no real mineral diving or anything. The 2nd choice would be he builds Banshees after seeing Vikings, this gives him 0 benefit because the Vikings generally counter Banshees quite easily. The same thought process is given to the other player and dashes are prescribed to the most optimal choice in each situation. The block that has two dashes is the Nash Equilibrium. In this case, building Vikings is the dominant strategy. This is a bit of meta-gaming so of course other factors can come into play, but when I saw KawaiiRice faceoff in the HDH tourney, I couldn't help but wonder, why would anyone build banshees in this situation? Any thoughts or comments would be nice. I really just made this because I was somewhat bored and stressed because of finals, starcraft seems to help with that. If anyone is confused about the process of choosing the best choice, I'll be happy to reiterate.



Take me to Korea
avilo
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States4100 Posts
April 27 2010 20:58 GMT
#2
It is nice to apply science and skills like that towards RTS and SC, but the players that do usually are not getting better when they can think about it so much more easily.

Vikings are air to air, banshees are not. Therefore whoever builds vikings first instead of banshees has an advantage and will try to maintain it. TvT is like this a lot.

I said basically all of your high science in a short little snippet. It is not good to overanalyze decisions that can be kept simple and are simple.

sometimes there is no intriguing or massive science behind why players do things.

Sup
paper
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
13197 Posts
April 27 2010 21:01 GMT
#3
[image loading]

hf
Hates Fun🤔
CCGaunt
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States417 Posts
April 27 2010 21:04 GMT
#4
On April 28 2010 05:58 avilo wrote:
It is nice to apply science and skills like that towards RTS and SC, but the players that do usually are not getting better when they can think about it so much more easily.

Vikings are air to air, banshees are not. Therefore whoever builds vikings first instead of banshees has an advantage and will try to maintain it. TvT is like this a lot.

I said basically all of your high science in a short little snippet. It is not good to overanalyze decisions that can be kept simple and are simple.

sometimes there is no intriguing or massive science behind why players do things.


This is true, I just felt like sharing.
Take me to Korea
gogogadgetflow
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2583 Posts
April 27 2010 21:11 GMT
#5
I read the thread title and all I could think of was John Nash doing some freaky codebreaking thing, maphacking, then pushing his desk out the window and deciding to play go instead.
link0
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1071 Posts
April 27 2010 21:29 GMT
#6
On April 28 2010 06:01 paper wrote:
[image loading]

hf


+1

This is the true chart. Very complicated, especially when you add in ground unit choices.
http://www.justin.tv/link0 - Gosu.Linko - http://www.facebook.com/link0
killias2
Profile Joined April 2010
United States20 Posts
April 27 2010 21:30 GMT
#7
I think you have an interesting start, but there is actually a lot of analysis with randomization in game theory. Rock paper scissors, island war, or other simple randomization games would be more realistic bases for formal models about starcraft.
D-wreck
Profile Joined November 2008
United States12 Posts
April 27 2010 21:55 GMT
#8
Cloak and raven usually don't come until later. These tables are used for blind decisions, but I do agree that vikings will be the the standard in the matchup. I like going marauders for defense, then a viking, or more, depending on their banshee and viking count, then tanks tanks tanks. I like tanks and vikings in the end game.
Creationism
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
China505 Posts
April 27 2010 22:13 GMT
#9
And what happens when they mass marauders that do 20 dmg vs your vikings?
The hoi polloi is the plague upon the world.
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-27 22:21:39
April 27 2010 22:19 GMT
#10
This is oversimplified to the point of uselessness. It's like comparing player 2 has the option of Scourge or Mutalisks and then arguing that Player 1 should go Corsairs since they rape them both.

Like common sense and your question "Why would anyone go banshees?" should dictate that you add a column called NEITHER that bashees beat. I don't understand how you didn't consider this.
Moderator
Kantutan
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1319 Posts
April 27 2010 22:28 GMT
#11
If you start cloak the same time as you start making a banshee, it's finished what... 30 seconds after that banshee is made? Then you force your opponent to have to use scans over mules then build a raven, etc, etc.
TwilightStar
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States649 Posts
April 27 2010 22:37 GMT
#12
On April 28 2010 07:13 Creationism wrote:
And what happens when they mass marauders that do 20 dmg vs your vikings?


The viking man gets banshees to kill the rauders?
(5)Twilight Star.scx --------- AdmiralHoth: There was one week when I didn't shave for a month.
Funchucks
Profile Joined June 2007
Canada2113 Posts
April 27 2010 22:52 GMT
#13
On April 28 2010 07:19 Chill wrote:
This is oversimplified to the point of uselessness. It's like comparing player 2 has the option of Scourge or Mutalisks and then arguing that Player 1 should go Corsairs since they rape them both.

Like common sense and your question "Why would anyone go banshees?" should dictate that you add a column called NEITHER that bashees beat. I don't understand how you didn't consider this.

Let's stay on topic please. This discussion is about the choice between rock and scissors. If you'd like to discuss paper, maybe you should start a new thread.
I serve my houseguests slices of butter.
Sleight
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
2471 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-27 23:29:25
April 27 2010 23:01 GMT
#14
Hold up. We actually do need a Neither column. I have a nice background in game theory under biological conditions which SC arguably mimics. In fact, LzGamer actually has shown this nicely in a number of his games and I would argue is why he has had solid TvT success. Without a Neither column, you can't actually generate a real equilibrium equation. The logic goes like this:

If I go Banshees and he goes no air, my Banshees increase in value.
If I go Banshees and he goes Banshees, we are at least even.
If I go Banshees and he goes Vikings, my Banshees lose value.

If I go Vikings and he goes no air, my Vikings have the same value.
If I go Vikings and he goes Banshees, my Vikings increase in value.
If I go Vikings and he goes Vikings, my Vikings have the same value.

Now this can be expanded for Cloak, Ravens, etc/ But the principle is very good. The incentive for Banshees is that it can seriously increase the chance to win the game if he chooses nothing. The incentive for Vikings is that they will never not be okay.

I'll post more later on this theory.

EDIT:

So here is what Lzgamer did to great success against CauthonLuck (I think?) a while ago. On Steppes of War, both players did a standard 10 Depot, 12 Rax, 14 Refinery, 15 Orbital + Marine and killed each others scout. So now both players are in the dark (this is before Marauders lost the innate slowing).

CL and LZ each think:

If I get a Reaper and he goes Marines, my Reaper increases in value.
If I get a Reaper and he goes Reaper, we are at least even.
If I get a Reaper and he goes Marauder, my Reaper loses in value.

If I get a Marauder and he goes Marines, my Marauder has the same value
If I get a Marauder and he goes Reaper, my Marauder increases in value.
If I get a Marauder and he goes Marauder, my Marauder has the same value.

Now, if you consider each of your opponent's responses equally likely, you just evaluate the sum of scenarios 1 and 3 for Reapers versus 2 for Marauders. CL decides to go Reapers, LZ goes Marauders, LZ comes out ahead in investment.

The players continue to tech almost identically and they reach the expanded Starport decision tree, ie Vikings vs Banshees w/o cloak vs Banshees w/ cloak vs Ravens. CL is behind because of his investment in Reapers and goes Banshees w/o cloak. LZ goes 1 Raven into Vikings, stops the Banshees and 1 tank pushes into CL's base and wins. There were only 3 skirmishes, Marauder vs Reaper, Viking vs Banshee, army vs army.

Now, the reason this is valuable is through assigning probabilities to each decision and relative point values. Then you simply do a statistical crunch via trials and what comes out is what you should do, at a given point, without any extra information. This analysis only improves with more information.

For example, if you know you are superior to your opponent in a long game, the likelihood of him going for a possibly hugely beneficial move, like fast Reapers or Banshees, probably increases. Even if that weren't the case, by taking pathways that involve less risk, you prevent any simple BO disadvantages, such as Reapers vs slow-Marauders, or Vikings vs Banshees.

Discuss.
One Love
brocoli
Profile Joined February 2010
Brazil264 Posts
April 28 2010 00:13 GMT
#15
This comment will probably look trollish, but please, bear some thought to it.

For starters, game theory is applicable for huge processes, it will give you tools to analyze the best dominant strategy, etc...
in SC2 we are not interested in huge dominant strategies. This game doesn't have 5 years of stable meta-game, it hasn't even been released yet! What we are interested, is in individual games.

Also, to "balance a (real) game" is to make it so that applying "Game" Theory into it will give us no useful info.

the "game" in "game theory" is not the same "game" as in "video-game", so don't.
We'll get MUCH more info through empirical tests. There's WAY too much noise and game design here for game theory to bear any usefulness.
Sleight
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
2471 Posts
April 28 2010 00:29 GMT
#16
You are dead wrong. Allow me to elaborate

The "game" in game theory refers to the use of creating simple "games" to represent phenomena. In this case, we are making a "game" in choosing tech routes. This is perfectly acceptable. In my research, we used "games" of bacteria deciding to replicate versus increase their innate defenses. They are the same scenario.

Dominant strategy only refers to, as you play an infinite number of games, what offers the best success rate. This informs current decisions by showing what should happen if you play enough. Game theory actually shows application to single instance events, ie the Prisoner's Dilemma, among 82,000 other applications that are all well-documented.

Complex game theory has successfully modeled living organisms. This is a game with a finite number of interactions, where all variables can be known and even quantified. If game theory works when we don't know everything, you are obviously wrong that is not useful here. See my example above.

If you have no idea what you are talking about, then stop.
One Love
CCGaunt
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States417 Posts
April 28 2010 00:57 GMT
#17
Thanks Sleight, I really enjoyed your responses to my post. You really discussed well on the neither option which has started some of my thinking again.

I see the point that my example could be recalled as useless, but I never told anyone to apply it to their games or their strategies. I just thought it was one example where I thought of something "cute". While that may argue that it is even more useless, I don't mind if it is, it was simply something thought in passing. Also Chill, that is not the same example because the options for Corsair vs. Scourge/Muta, is unlike Vikings and Banshees. I didn't consider a neither option because I'm generally caught up in the base of my ideas and don't think about expanding them till later.


Take me to Korea
cartoon]x
Profile Joined March 2010
United States606 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-28 01:31:05
April 28 2010 01:14 GMT
#18
Those equations don't really take scouting into account. Scouting will render many of the If > then statements useless. I'd like to see common scouting opportunities worked into a comprehensive If > then tree of reasoning.. That would be awesome.
Another problem is it considers each of the 3 options marine / marauder / reaper equally likely. But in order to make a good calculation you'd have to have a massive web of reasoning describing all aspects of the matchup which you then ascertained probabilities for each action from, and that web would have to include not only unit compositions and scouting, but map features as well. Constructing such a complicated web for even one matchup would probably take like a month.
The problem with using a simple scenario is it doesn't acknowledge the actual factors which determine choices made; it merely delegates these explanations to probability. So on Desert Oasis it might be that reapers are the better choice 100 percent of the time, but you may still see them as 20 percent likely; and then you'd play 4 games on different maps and your suspicions would be confirmed.
It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-28 01:30:06
April 28 2010 01:21 GMT
#19
Starcraft is zero sum, so it doesn't make sense that in one box your payoffs are (1,1) and the other (2,2). You can't have an option that's better for both players.

Unless of course you are modeling some utility that is not chance of winning, like fun or personal improvement or something, but that doesn't seem like the case.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
Nivra
Profile Joined March 2010
37 Posts
April 28 2010 01:41 GMT
#20
On April 28 2010 08:01 Sleight wrote:

If I go Banshees and he goes no air, my Banshees increase in value.
If I go Banshees and he goes Banshees, we are at least even.
If I go Banshees and he goes Vikings, my Banshees lose value.

If I go Vikings and he goes no air, my Vikings have the same value.
If I go Vikings and he goes Banshees, my Vikings increase in value.
If I go Vikings and he goes Vikings, my Vikings have the same value.

Discuss.


Shouldn't it be:

[B1]: If I go Banshees and he goes no anti-air, my Banshees increase in value.
[B2]: If I go Banshees and he goes Banshees, we are at least even.
[B3]: If I go Banshees and he goes Vikings, my Banshees lose value.

[V1]: If I go Vikings and he goes no air, my Vikings lose value.
[V2]: If I go Vikings and he goes Banshees, my Vikings increase in value.
[V3]: If I go Vikings and he goes Vikings, my Vikings have the same value.

The next step would be quantifying the value loss-gains.
[B1] is extremely high value, since banshees with no anti-air will rape. At the very least, you might count ~50% of opponents current SCV's in this, assuming the opponent eventually gets some AA before all of his SCV's are raped. An SCV's value is 50 mins + SCV production time + lost mining time.
[B2], by definition is zero.
[B3] should be expressed in terms of the cost of both the banshees in min/gas, as well as time lost for tech lab and time lost due to banshee building.

[V1]: This is not a complete loss of the min/gas value + build time of vikings since Vikings can still land and harass and scout.
[V2]: The min/gas/time cost of opponents' expected losses should be included.
[V3]: By definition, gain-loss is zero.

In the SCV vs. mule thread, someone mentioned that we need a time-value of money calculation. We need it here, too. Looks like it's time for this to be tackled.

This analysis can be done excluding the time-lost, but it wouldn't be fully accurate. It would, however be a 60-80% complete picture, given the simple limitations of the scenario (Viking vs. Banshee).
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2534
RotterdaM747
TaKeTV 343
IndyStarCraft 198
BRAT_OK 76
ZombieGrub75
SteadfastSC16
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2534
RotterdaM 747
ByuN 326
MaxPax 201
IndyStarCraft 198
RuFF_SC2 97
ZombieGrub79
BRAT_OK 75
UpATreeSC 57
MindelVK 17
SteadfastSC 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3215
Shuttle 747
Mini 455
EffOrt 409
Dewaltoss 171
Rush 153
Mind 76
910 73
HiyA 69
Zeus 62
[ Show more ]
hero 57
Bale 24
sorry 21
ToSsGirL 16
Sexy 12
scan(afreeca) 9
zelot 9
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
qojqva3276
Counter-Strike
fl0m5296
pashabiceps1009
Fnx 653
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3627
Other Games
singsing2081
ceh9705
Beastyqt687
mouzStarbuck239
XaKoH 133
C9.Mang0116
QueenE61
Trikslyr61
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 129
• StrangeGG 33
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV389
Other Games
• imaqtpie690
• Shiphtur300
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
4h 51m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 51m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
16h 51m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 5h
Patches Events
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.