• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:06
CEST 03:06
KST 10:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8426 users

2 Hatch Muta Builds/Transistions

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
3nickma
Profile Joined November 2007
Denmark1510 Posts
April 02 2010 11:05 GMT
#1
I've searched but could only find 2 Hatch Muta in the SC/BW strategy section.

I don't know any builds for this in SC2 and would fail on my own discovery

After the reset I've thought of trying to rush for mutas in the 5 practice games (which I've skipped the last time around) just to be safe from ground and see how this builds works. Don't know how much of a difference there is in this build if you'd have to account for potential ground assualt. Also I'd like to try this build against a personal friend of mine who's a slow and a bit of a defensive Protoss player. Pre-reset we where both Silver players though I'm slightly stronger than he is.

Anyways I'd like to know some fair 2 Hatch Builds or whatever works for some reasonably fast and strong mutas. Also what's the point behind this strategy? To catch him off-guard and win immediately, to contain and harass while expanding or what's the general gameplan?

Any help and thoughts about this would be much appreciated
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
Bosu
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3247 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-02 11:20:51
April 02 2010 11:19 GMT
#2
I go 2 hatch muta builds vs terran fairly often to possibly pick off some scvs and keep them in their base while I expand/tech to something else and establish a strong economy.

VS toss lately I feel like I almost have to get hydras before mutas as the mutas just come too late. Also I usually can't get my expansions gas up and running for long before most toss do their first push. And I definitely don't go muta if I see a lot of sentries. If I see maybe an unusually high number of immortals or a colossus then maybe I would throw down a spire.

I feel like zerg is a very reactive race and it's pretty tough to go into a matchcup against any decent player and say that you will simply go fast muta.
#1 Kwanro Fan
heynes
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany201 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-02 13:38:26
April 02 2010 13:38 GMT
#3
i´m in silver league and i often do a 14 hatch 13 pool build 2-3 sunkens at the nat. and after scouting his army size i decide the tech/army composition. U have to be aware of drops. burrowd lings and single lings around the map help u to choose what to do. Mutas are great i think they are fast deal good damage and u can always keep the enemy at their base i feel. With the early expansion u really have the gas to keep pushing gas intesive untis.

But im a noob so dunno ^^
3nickma
Profile Joined November 2007
Denmark1510 Posts
April 02 2010 17:48 GMT
#4
Sure it's not the best decision to load a game thinking I'll tech straight to mutas no matter what or to not wanting to deviate too much from that gameplay. Still I wouldn't mind some more concrete build orders just to get a feel for it say against the A.I. That way I might improve more by trying someone else's somewhat proven build then just fooling around on my own. Do like the 14 hatch 13 pool suggestion but then there's questions about when to lair, when to spire and when to power. Even if it's just a rough build with some general timings would be better say for a larger map like Desert Oasis (ground wise) to try and see how it goes.

Also like the idea of being able to contain the Terran for a bit while I more freely can expo or tech. Also in SC/BW the optimal number of mutas was 11+Overlord. Is there a specific number in SC2 that's good to get for harassment, and then just sustain the number and do other things with your resources?

And thanks so far
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
caldo149
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States469 Posts
April 02 2010 18:26 GMT
#5
The optimum number of mutas could be 5 so you can kill scvs in 1 shot, but if you want to take down turrets then perhaps enough to 2 shot the turret would be good; 14 i think. (unless they got building armor, then you'll need more.)
Hellions are my homeboys
AssuredVacancy
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1167 Posts
April 02 2010 19:28 GMT
#6
On April 03 2010 03:26 caldo149 wrote:
The optimum number of mutas could be 5 so you can kill scvs in 1 shot, but if you want to take down turrets then perhaps enough to 2 shot the turret would be good; 14 i think. (unless they got building armor, then you'll need more.)


...Yeah good luck getting 14 mutas in a realistic game.

Optimally you could move out with 6-7 mutas just picking off stray scvs/buildings/being a nuisance. DO NOT engage the turrets as you are guaranteed to lose 1 against anything more than 1 turret, so it's a bad trade off for you. After the initial mutas immediately take your third and transition to banelings/lings.
We spend our youth attaining wealth, and our wealth attaining youth.
3nickma
Profile Joined November 2007
Denmark1510 Posts
April 02 2010 22:23 GMT
#7
Any builds would still be much appreciated

Okay will try to remember 5 mutas one shots scvs but what about probes and drones? Anyways 6-7 seems like a fair number to try out so thanks for that. Will have to see how it pans out

Seriously are turrets that good against mutas right now?? Damn. Not like JD dancing around a bunch of them in SC/BW then. Luckily the last time I've played against my friend he didn't seem to know sentries would be good versus mutas. Maybe I can still pwn him with with a bunch of fliers
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
Perseverance
Profile Joined February 2010
Japan2800 Posts
April 02 2010 22:28 GMT
#8
All you have to do is make 2 sunkens and lings vs toss and deny scouting. I don't muta vs terran anymore though so I can't help you there.
<3 Moonbattles
Twe3k
Profile Joined August 2009
89 Posts
April 02 2010 22:41 GMT
#9
I'm not necessarily the greatest Zerg but I do like my BO's. (I play random Gold league)

I like to open
8 Ovie
13 pool
14 gas
16 ovie
16 queen
during early game, till about 30 population. I keep to the rule, larva spawned at the hatchery = DRONES and larva created by larva injection = ZERGLINGS.

Anyhoo First lings pop at about 20 population than I expand and grab my second gas. while pumping more Lings getting Ling speed immediately and lair tech get gas rolling at your xpo. drop spire asap go "scout" him with 36 speed graded lings or so. at this point you have lots of options as to how to follow out the rest of the game. you have a strong ground force to hold off any harassment and 8 + Mutas coming instantly after your spire finishes. if your fighting a turtle you can nydus him and what is more fun than mass Zling Nydus canal Muta love on Terran?
Lets Burn! <_/_/_D
StarBrift
Profile Joined January 2008
Sweden1761 Posts
April 02 2010 22:55 GMT
#10
Mutas are great against people who underestimate hw many you can get right as your spire pops. Many terrans play on as normal with just a few more marines and then you can rape. But if the terran does a thor or two and turrets then its hard to suceed.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12165
Rain 2068
Artosis 481
White-Ra 183
Dota 2
monkeys_forever647
NeuroSwarm135
League of Legends
Doublelift5016
Counter-Strike
taco 10
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1675
ArmadaUGS587
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1106
WinterStarcraft412
Other Games
summit1g8619
Day[9].tv671
shahzam649
JimRising 565
C9.Mang0303
Maynarde156
ViBE139
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick885
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream144
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1011
• Day9tv671
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 54m
OSC
11h 54m
Stellar Fest
11h 54m
OSC
22h 54m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.