• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:38
CEST 03:38
KST 10:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9384 users

[M] (2) AVEX - Windwaker

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Avexyli
Profile Blog Joined April 2014
United States711 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-02 05:01:05
February 02 2017 05:00 GMT
#1
[M] (2) AVEX - Windwaker

[image loading]

[image loading]
(click to enlarge)

Size: 152x156
Tileset: Elsecaro, Shakuras City
Spawn Positions: 11, 5
Base Count: 16
Servers: NA, EU

Link to Reddit Discussion.

Features/Explanation/Whatever:
+ Show Spoiler +

This honestly was a map that was produced rather quickly after I noticed the new Meinhoff textures that were updated with 3.10. Just decided to make a standardish map, where two key bases would slow down mineral efficient unit compositions. I'm not sure if I'm too happy with those bases being lower mineral counts, but I feel it counteracts the jumpstart at the beginning with an extra mineral patch in the main. The goal was to create a midgame that approaches quicker than normal, but it's a bit harder to push out of that midgame even with expansions. If it's too much, I can easily reset the bases to a normal 8/2.


Artsy / Detailed Pictures:
+ Show Spoiler +


[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]






[image loading]



AVEX - Multi Winner, Finalist, Judge of the TeamLiquid Map Contests, Former SC:EVO Enviroment Artist & Multiplayer Game Design
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
February 02 2017 05:22 GMT
#2
It's a nice standard map, but I'm not sure the mineral shenanigans are suited for this map. The 5th and 6th bases are already noticeably more disconnected than the third and fourth, so reducing their mineral count makes expansions that are already slightly undesirable even more undesirable.

My feeling is that atypical resource counts should be used to give interesting choices to the player. For example on Atlantis Spaceship it was the easily harassable third that had the extra geyser, while the normal third was easier to defend. On this map all it does is make the choice of fourth easier by disincentivizing those two bases.
SidianTheBard
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2475 Posts
February 02 2017 13:51 GMT
#3
Another pretty awesome map Avex, good job! I think my biggest problems with it are the different mineral counts & the expansion pattern choice.

Regarding Mineral Counts:

I think the main base NEEDS to have 8m2g no matter what. Otherwise you get oneindividual map that is going to have a ton of different timings, openers, cheeses, etc then every other map and that alone is going to make people veto it. Sure, it's only 1 extra mineral patch in the main but that means getting those reapers a few seconds earlier, getting that oracles faster, getting that all-in faster. With the LoTV economy the early game is already fast enough that I see no reason to try to accelerate that at all.
I honestly don't see the point of making tough to hold bases with less minerals. If you want to have an inbase natural or a super easy to hold 3rd, then sure that makes sense to me to limit the mineral count. But when you can get end game with 3 base economy, having all your choices of 4ths be less minerals...what's the point of ever going past 3 base then? You're basically saying if you expand past a 3rd you're going to be punished.

Expansion Pattern:

Assuming the southeast main base, why would you ever expand north? Main/Nat, take the 3rd that hugs your main, then take the base at 6oclick, followed by the pocket base just north of that. They are all much easier to defend, would protect you better against drops and overall just seem closer to your other bases and further for the enemy. Think if you expand north for your 3rd, you're then most logical choice is the one just north of that but then not only are there less minerals (see above point) but that mineral line is sooooo easily harassable with it being right on the edge. I believe you either need to make that northern expansion path more easily attainable so people can choose either way depending on their playstyle or maybe just cut off the northern part completely and redesign it a bit, basically forcing players to expand one way but then if you redesign that side of the map maybe you could add more paths / flow to the map.

___

Overall, I do like the map quite a bit though, again assuming the southeast main base, I like the expansion pattern if you expand clockwise. The attack paths in the middle are interesting and for the most part the expansion placement is solid.
Textures/Aesethtics you always do a fantastic job, so once again A+ work on that. I like the beach style you did with the somewhat Blotchy grass sprinkled in, makes it look pretty nice. I wonder if you also used some type of...I believe it's Tarsonis Grass? (The yellowish grass) so you could blend it even better. I don't know how it would look, maybe it'll look like ass but I'm just thinking in my head right now so can't open the editor and see how it'd actually look.
I also absolutely love the water over the sand part or where you use the height/smoothing tool on the edges to far a nice smooth transition to deeper waters. To be fair though, the water in the middle will probably get removed because doesn't the terrain still bug out randomly if you ever build anything on it? Unless that was fixed, it's been awhile.
___
Great work Avex!

Creator of Abyssal Reef, Ascension to Aiur, Battle on the Boardwalk, Habitation Station, Honorgrounds, IPL Darkness Falls, King's Cove, Korhal Carnage Knockout & Moonlight Madness.
Adelull
Profile Joined May 2016
39 Posts
February 02 2017 14:03 GMT
#4
I'm not a mapmaker but I've been in master league for a few years at least and I'm interested in seeing how the different mineral counts can play out more before deciding that it doesn't work.
Ej_
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
47656 Posts
February 02 2017 15:10 GMT
#5
On February 02 2017 23:03 Adelull wrote:
I'm not a mapmaker but I've been in master league for a few years at least and I'm interested in seeing how the different mineral counts can play out more before deciding that it doesn't work.

Unfortunately, Blizzard has made it a rule that all maps that ever want to make it to the ladder, are pretty much required to have 8min2gas on every base (but golds, with 6min patches)
"Technically the dictionary has zero authority on the meaning or words" - Rodya
Phaenoman
Profile Joined February 2013
568 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-02 16:00:38
February 02 2017 15:59 GMT
#6
On February 03 2017 00:10 Ej_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2017 23:03 Adelull wrote:
I'm not a mapmaker but I've been in master league for a few years at least and I'm interested in seeing how the different mineral counts can play out more before deciding that it doesn't work.

Unfortunately, Blizzard has made it a rule that all maps that ever want to make it to the ladder, are pretty much required to have 8min2gas on every base (but golds, with 6min patches)

I am pretty sure AVEX did those mineral adjustments taking into account that Blizzard is willing to break those rules you describe in favor of more freedom for mapmakers. I think they announced it at Blizzcon? Definitly not too long ago.
Random is hard work dude...
Avexyli
Profile Blog Joined April 2014
United States711 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-02 20:07:27
February 02 2017 20:07 GMT
#7
On February 03 2017 00:59 Phaenoman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2017 00:10 Ej_ wrote:
On February 02 2017 23:03 Adelull wrote:
I'm not a mapmaker but I've been in master league for a few years at least and I'm interested in seeing how the different mineral counts can play out more before deciding that it doesn't work.

Unfortunately, Blizzard has made it a rule that all maps that ever want to make it to the ladder, are pretty much required to have 8min2gas on every base (but golds, with 6min patches)

I am pretty sure AVEX did those mineral adjustments taking into account that Blizzard is willing to break those rules you describe in favor of more freedom for mapmakers. I think they announced it at Blizzcon? Definitly not too long ago.


Aye, upcoming TLMC will not have mineral count restrictions.

Everything Sidian + Zigg Said:


I think the 9/2 will definitely have an effect on the early game, yes. But, also consider that almost all other builds will be slightly faster as well, such as the slightly faster reaper. Keep in mind that's also one extra patch for zergling income, or a slightly faster adept, msc, etc. While I do think it will accelerate the strategies, I don't know if it will have as much as an effect as 10/2 would.

Regarding expansion patterns - I spoke with a couple of players shortly before posting to TL/Twitter/Reddit about the decisions one would make in varying matchups. I believe that the vertical (north/south) third base options would be recommended in non-Terran based matchups. For example, I would expect that base to be taken by a Protoss player in PvZ. It's pulled back into a corner, and is much less open to the surrounding region. In the case of PvZ, I feel as if that base were easily defended, the other third would be a decent option to become the new fourth, assuming a regular game where the protoss army is strong enough to hold a more open base. In terran-based matchups, I would not expect the northern base to be taken, due to the obvious strength of tank and liberator pushes, however, the distance for creep to travel is shorter to that base, so it's possible it would be taken for the sake of reinforcement (and all Zergs I know would break down the rocks there, which was placed purely to avoid tank abuse). I also like the tradeoff with both choices of expansions. Should you expand vertically, your third is tucked back in, and easier to wall, whereas your fourth is exposed. If you expand horizontally, your third is exposed and more difficult to hold, but your fourth is more fortified. That's the idea, anyway.

Regarding the aesthetics - The grass is a mix of Elsecaro and Bel'Shir BushEx2. Tarsonis' new yellow grass is really dark in bright lighting, so it'd look muddy and miss the mark unfortunately. As for the water, I could just make it unbuildable in pathing ;P
AVEX - Multi Winner, Finalist, Judge of the TeamLiquid Map Contests, Former SC:EVO Enviroment Artist & Multiplayer Game Design
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-03 06:37:45
February 03 2017 06:33 GMT
#8
Agree w/ sidian on the main base probably needing to be 8m2g on all maps, good reasoning there.

I think maybe the more interesting idea is a nat that has less minerals on its patches (say, instead of 4 900s and 4 1500s you had all 900s or even 750s) in combination with normal or even highly defensible 4ths. That way your early game isn't affected at all, you can still max out on 3 base, but it creates an interesting strategic dilemma where if you put everything into your attack with your big army without holding a little back for expanding behind it and defending counterattacks, then you might be screwed bc your main and nat will both be mining out soon. Whereas right now you can max, fight, and then just keep making units on 3 base. There's not enough risk in it. This new way there would be this real choice of whether to use your maxed army to tightly secure your 4th and/or 5th, or go balls-deep on the attack. This would effectively increase the defender's advantage.

Or maybe not, idk. There's a good idea in there somewhere

edit: btw, rude of me, the map is good. Nice aesthetics as always and solid layout.
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
blunderfulguy
Profile Blog Joined April 2016
United States1415 Posts
February 07 2017 01:07 GMT
#9
Oh, this isn't a 1v1 Legend of Zelda map? Disappointed! Looks good though.
Blunder Man doing everything thing a blunder can.
Caerwyn
Profile Joined February 2017
23 Posts
February 21 2017 13:19 GMT
#10
Hey I'm not sure how helpful it is, but I absolutely love this map :D also I have a few mid-high dia replays on this map if you need any. Nice work Avex ! :D
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
February 21 2017 18:30 GMT
#11
This map is a very solid macro map and fairly standard layout. I hope the altered minerals work out. I'm rather indifferent whether or not the main has 8 or 9 minerals. I'm more worried about the low mineral expansions on the map.

On February 02 2017 22:51 SidianTheBard wrote:
I honestly don't see the point of making tough to hold bases with less minerals. If you want to have an inbase natural or a super easy to hold 3rd, then sure that makes sense to me to limit the mineral count. But when you can get end game with 3 base economy, having all your choices of 4ths be less minerals...what's the point of ever going past 3 base then? You're basically saying if you expand past a 3rd you're going to be punished.


I strongly agree with this. Low resource bases should have some element of risk vs reward. If it has less resources, make it easier to defend. If it has more resources, make it harder to defend. Having later game expansions with lower resource counts just discourages expansion.

Great job!
Zweck
Profile Joined February 2015
Germany211 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-22 21:24:12
February 22 2017 21:22 GMT
#12
Looks like a nice map but on 2nd tought, theres a big problem the layout has in my opinion. You can basically move from everywhere to everywhere all the time. Theres ramps just everywhere, where no mineral lines are preventing them to be. Its kinda works as a macro map, altough its offers strategic boringness. When you see the opponent somewhere, you can basically walk there in a straigt line, no air space, no rocks, no special terrain wall or sth
https://www.instagram.com/instazweck/ ____ behance.net/brachert _____ https://zweckthings.tumblr.com/
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
February 22 2017 22:22 GMT
#13
On February 23 2017 06:22 Zweck wrote:
boringness


When you have to use this word to describe a map, it means that it's fairly standard and there's not much else to critique. This map is a finalist under the category of macro after all.
Zweck
Profile Joined February 2015
Germany211 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-22 23:09:04
February 22 2017 22:29 GMT
#14
I know its a finalist, does that make it immune to critics? I Mean Avex has some time now, to maybe even improve the map, Its may still be a good macro map, never denied that.. but what i said is true isnt it. But now that i think about it, its a bit the same for vaani or newkirk, and they work well too. But its not what makes a really interesting and good map in my opinion. I made some pics to show what i mean:
I simplified the "walking pattern" of some good standard maps:

dusk towers
[image loading]
king sejong
[image loading]
overgrowth
[image loading]
coda
[image loading]
echo (oops forgot 1 line there..)
[image loading]

and windwaker in comparison:
[image loading]

the walking patterns are everywhere and so evenly distributed, i dont think that makes an "interesting" map tbh

Maybe deleting 1 or 2 ramps and add some rocks maybe somewhere could make it better imo
https://www.instagram.com/instazweck/ ____ behance.net/brachert _____ https://zweckthings.tumblr.com/
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-23 00:33:20
February 23 2017 00:32 GMT
#15
It's a problem that NewSunshine first put into words best, I think, calling it "homogenous pathing", where basically what direction you go barely matters, the only thing that ends up mattering is distance between bases.

Of course mapmakers are kind of incentivized to use this kind of pathing recently with the rise of positional units like liberators, where if you can't flank/maneuver around them then the game can be quite punishing and "unfun".

So it's a fine line. And I think we all have trouble with this atm. Either you make it too restrictive and certain things are just OP, or it ends up being too boring because you can go everywhere with ease. I also like to say a map has "too much flow" when it gets to that point.

Anyway, I agree that this map in particular could use a couple less ramps to make army positioning/route choices matter a little more.
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft483
CranKy Ducklings56
EnkiAlexander 10
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft483
CosmosSc2 61
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2237
Artosis 628
Dota 2
monkeys_forever666
Counter-Strike
taco 241
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox641
Other Games
summit1g8482
JimRising 640
C9.Mang0330
Day[9].tv291
Maynarde154
ViBE138
Livibee62
ArmadaUGS55
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1064
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream115
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv291
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
9h 22m
Stellar Fest
11h 22m
The PondCast
1d 8h
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
OSC
1d 22h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.