• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:17
CEST 22:17
KST 05:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8353 users

[M] (4) Beneath the Ice - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
Faze.
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada285 Posts
January 02 2011 21:27 GMT
#21
If zergs can learn to adapt to small maps, terrans can learn to adapt on big maps.
But of course if blizzard forces them to rush and all-in before 10 minutes on ALL their maps, terrans will never learn ever.
D:
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
January 03 2011 14:22 GMT
#22
Bumped version to 0.4.

Seems to be getting closer to 1.0
What do you think so far? Have I been able to fix the most glaring balance problems?

Changes:
Affecting balance:
- Moved the large ramp from the natural a bit closer to the middle
- Removed most of the gap between natural and 3rd (to make it more viable to use Collosi/Reapers to harass natural)
- Added LOS blockers to the edges around the middle (close to the Xel'naga towers, so it will be riskier to move close to the towers)
- Reshaped the cracks in the ice in the middle to make for tighter chokes close to the towers but wider where the new LOS blockers are (also to fix a few asymmetries)
- Removed pathing from the cliff behind the main

Visual:
- Even more texturing
- Added subtle height differences (not cliff) to make it look more like there are snow drifts instead of white patches of ground
- A few more doodads

+ Show Spoiler [New LOS blockers] +
[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [Analyzer overview] +
Note the cliff between natural and 3rd
[image loading]
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
January 03 2011 17:01 GMT
#23
Managed to render the overview images using the proper lighting, so updated the OP with new images as well as HQ variants of them (overview and angled overview).

Updated a few other images in the OP too.
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-04 03:59:12
January 04 2011 03:58 GMT
#24
I really like this map. Not just because it uses an amazing title set and how the bridges are expertly used, but because it has great map flow, tight spaces where it's needed, and open spaces where it's not. You have the easy natural, like on Python (to an extent; Python's natural is easier to take), that works well, and have a more cramped middle, so Zerg doesn't absolutely dominate. The XWT placement is very interesting, especially how the one closest to the defender, the one that is the most important for that player, is difficult to hold onto.

The map is still large, but it seems to me that this is just because of how the thirds/fourths are pulled away from the map, which should be fine. If you want someone to play with on this, add Antares.811 to your friends list.

EDIT: If you could make a blank map with this title set and add a download link, I'd like to download this title set, if that is ok with you.

Dirt-Spider
Profile Joined December 2010
United States30 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-04 17:54:10
January 04 2011 17:43 GMT
#25
How can I get your map it looks great? I'm on US servers.

I would help test too.
[center]"I was fined $1,000 for having too much awesome on my feet." ~ Brian Wilson[/center]
Hydrogen
Profile Joined November 2010
United States12 Posts
January 04 2011 19:02 GMT
#26
On January 05 2011 02:43 Dirt-Spider wrote:
How can I get your map it looks great? I'm on US servers.

I would help test too.


Yes I agree bring it to the US
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-04 20:48:28
January 04 2011 20:48 GMT
#27
On January 05 2011 04:02 Hydrogen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2011 02:43 Dirt-Spider wrote:
How can I get your map it looks great? I'm on US servers.

I would help test too.


Yes I agree bring it to the US


I only have an EU account, so are there any respected "map hosters" on US who would like to host my map?

Also, a map related question:

All previews I generate for the map are flipped vertically (blizzard f*cked up map image export on the mac editor),
so I finally found the custom preview image (not the same as loading screen, even though it is shown on the melee) and I wonder which file type and resolutions should the images be?
(or is there already a fix for the vertical flip?)
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
Dirt-Spider
Profile Joined December 2010
United States30 Posts
January 04 2011 21:14 GMT
#28
http://sc2.nibbits.com/maps/ is a good place to put maps.

[center]"I was fined $1,000 for having too much awesome on my feet." ~ Brian Wilson[/center]
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
January 04 2011 21:20 GMT
#29
On January 05 2011 06:14 Dirt-Spider wrote:
http://sc2.nibbits.com/maps/ is a good place to put maps.



Might put it there later, but I plan to enter this map into the MotM competition.
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-04 22:02:42
January 04 2011 22:00 GMT
#30
On January 05 2011 05:48 NullCurrent wrote:
All previews I generate for the map are flipped vertically (blizzard f*cked up map image export on the mac editor),
so I finally found the custom preview image (not the same as loading screen, even though it is shown on the melee) and I wonder which file type and resolutions should the images be?
(or is there already a fix for the vertical flip?)


I found a fix, but it is complicated and also makes the map classified as Custom instead of Melee:

+ Show Spoiler [Instructions] +

1. Take a screenshot of the map / export map image
2. Flip image if necessary
3. Resize to 512x512 px (crop if necessary)
4. Save as preview.jpg
5. Resize to 256x256 px
6. Save as preview_small.jpg
7. Convert the images to DDS using a virtual windows computer (I used DDS Converter and virtual box, did not manage to find a tool for Linux or OS X, at least not fast enough Image Magick can convert from DDS but not to dds)
8. Import the converted preview.dds and preview_small.dds into your map
9. Save the map
10. Open Map->Map Info
11. Set Preview Image (small) to Custom Image and choose preview_small.dds
12. Set Preview Image (large) to Custom Image and choose preview.dds


DONE!
+ Show Spoiler [Result] +
[image loading]


The sad thing is that the map is then considered Custom, as all Melee maps are forced to use the built in map preview image generator (which is totally broken on macs).

Also updated to 0.6:
- Fixed the map bounds, so the distances from the playable edge to the main minerals are the same on all starting positions
- Added a tiny amount of doodads
- Tweaked lighting a tiny bit
- Fixed so that black space won't be seen (as much) when the camera is at the edge of the map
- Strange FIX: Fixed the lobby preview of the map image so that it isn't vertically flipped

I think this map is really ready for 1.0, but I'm not labeling the map 1.0 before I can upload it as a melee map with proper preview (ie. either Blizzard fixes the bug or I can borrow some friend's PC).

Do you think I should keep the strange fix on the map in the mean time, or that I should have the melee classified version uploaded, which has the faulty map preview, instead?
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-06 14:42:42
January 06 2011 14:38 GMT
#31
On January 04 2011 12:58 Antares777 wrote:

EDIT: If you could make a blank map with this title set and add a download link, I'd like to download this title set, if that is ok with you.



Here is the tileset I've used on Beneath the Ice:

SnowTileset.SC2Map

It contains:
* Tileset
* Lighting
* Water (named Snow)

Texture combinations to achieve different effects:
* Snow: Xil sand cracked + Xil sand
* Rough snow: Xil dirt + Xil dirt cracked
* Ice: Xil Rock + Xil Rock Cracked
* Worn plates: Avernus metal + tiny bit of Agria concrete to make it grey
* Reinforced concrete: Agria concrete + a bit of avernus metal to get the bumpmap

So not much, but that was all I used which required changes

Hope this'll help you all to make beautiful snow/ice maps!

(if you want to credit me for the tileset, by all means do )
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
Dixons
Profile Joined December 2010
Finland10 Posts
January 06 2011 15:25 GMT
#32
i wish they'd add some snow maps on ladder aswell, my favourite tileset
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-11 15:55:41
January 11 2011 15:52 GMT
#33
Finally got around to trying the VirtualBox option for the starcraft 2 map editor bug which causes Macs to generate the previews upside down.

Sadly I can tell you all that a virtualized Win XP doesn't seem to work, despite me installing custom drivers and activating hardware 3D acceleration in VirtualBox. The editor crashed as soon as I tried to render a preview, and the game itself wouldn't start at all (but that is understandable, as it uses 3D graphics from the start, the editor doesn't).

So I used the third alternative: deleting a games I had on my bootcamp partition and moving the installed files there, which finally worked (which is not surprising, but it is an annoyance that this is required to solve the problem — ie. getting a windows installation just to be able to upload a melee map with a proper preview).

And after some time copying the stuff, I have now finally updated Beneath the Ice to 1.0, with a proper map preview!


EDIT: Also updated OP with scores this map got in MotM.

+ Show Spoiler [MotM #1 scoring] +
Thanks for participating in MotM #1! Here are your average scores from the judges in each category: Balance, Originality, Fun, and Aesthetics.

6 6.8 6.4 6.2 (rounded)

For a total of 25.4.

Thanks again!

iGrok, dimfish, BoomStevo, prodiG, FlopTurnReaver
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
January 11 2011 16:00 GMT
#34
always nice to see a snowy map!
Ragoo
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany2773 Posts
January 11 2011 17:03 GMT
#35
I really love both the aesthetics and gameplay on this map! I hope you can win Map of the Month, definetely one of my absolute favorite non-iCCup Maps
Member of TPW mapmaking team/// twitter.com/Ragoo_ /// "goody represents border between explainable reason and supernatural" Cloud
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-11 17:16:45
January 11 2011 17:16 GMT
#36
On January 12 2011 02:03 Ragoo wrote:
I really love both the aesthetics and gameplay on this map! I hope you can win Map of the Month, definetely one of my absolute favorite non-iCCup Maps


Sorry, cannot win it as I've already lost
Seriously, the maps they picked as the winners were awesome, and it doesn't seem like I was too far away from the top when it comes to scoring, so I'm happy.

(You can see the score I got in the OP or in an edit I made in my earlier post)

EDIT: Thank you for the praise!
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
Ragoo
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany2773 Posts
January 11 2011 18:07 GMT
#37
oh oops, my bad :D Didn't know they already chose the maps (: Well good luck next time then, I'm sure you can produce more good maps.
Member of TPW mapmaking team/// twitter.com/Ragoo_ /// "goody represents border between explainable reason and supernatural" Cloud
baskerville
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
541 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-12 14:14:01
January 12 2011 01:54 GMT
#38
edit: patch killed it?

previous:
+ Show Spoiler +
NullCurrent
can i please add "ver betum" your outside fix for display, on my rant on galaxy?+ Show Spoiler +


like so:
+ Show Spoiler +

mac map lobby overide

NullCurrent / January 05 2011 07:00 :
I found a fix, but it is complicated and also makes the map classified as Custom instead of Melee:

Instructions
1. Take a screenshot of the map / export map image
2. Flip image if necessary
3. Resize to 512x512 px (crop if necessary)
4. Save as preview.jpg
5. Resize to 256x256 px
6. Save as preview_small.jpg
7. Convert the images to DDS using a virtual windows computer (I used DDS Converter and virtual box, did not manage to find a tool for Linux or OS X, at least not fast enough Image Magick can convert from DDS but not to dds)
8. Import the converted preview.dds and preview_small.dds into your map
9. Save the map
10. Open Map->Map Info
11. Set Preview Image (small) to Custom Image and choose preview_small.dds
12. Set Preview Image (large) to Custom Image and choose preview.dds



+ Show Spoiler +
no game will make me fix my ole' granny, let blizz fix galaxy! + Show Spoiler +
no more: blizzmac anymore
!


Barrin has bravely shown the example by saying he'd host any map for anyone wishing to get a pc to do the analyzer routine... and even if he's not "on call", I'm sure all pc users would selflessly help mac users... am i wrong?


edit2: + Show Spoiler +
hope the patch is not another for mac, cause we could really use the love (don't wanna mapcraft stuff shittttt)
http://www.teamliquid.net/mirror/smilies/random-big.gif
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
January 12 2011 10:15 GMT
#39
On January 12 2011 10:54 baskerville wrote:
edit: patch killed it?

previous:
+ Show Spoiler +
NullCurrent
can i please add "ver betum" your outside fix for display, on my rant on galaxy?+ Show Spoiler +


like so:
+ Show Spoiler +

mac map lobby overide

NullCurrent / January 05 2011 07:00 :
I found a fix, but it is complicated and also makes the map classified as Custom instead of Melee:

Instructions
1. Take a screenshot of the map / export map image
2. Flip image if necessary
3. Resize to 512x512 px (crop if necessary)
4. Save as preview.jpg
5. Resize to 256x256 px
6. Save as preview_small.jpg
7. Convert the images to DDS using a virtual windows computer (I used DDS Converter and virtual box, did not manage to find a tool for Linux or OS X, at least not fast enough Image Magick can convert from DDS but not to dds)
8. Import the converted preview.dds and preview_small.dds into your map
9. Save the map
10. Open Map->Map Info
11. Set Preview Image (small) to Custom Image and choose preview_small.dds
12. Set Preview Image (large) to Custom Image and choose preview.dds



+ Show Spoiler +
no game will make me fix my ole' granny, let blizz fix galaxy! + Show Spoiler +
no more: blizzmac anymore
!


Barrin has bravely shown the example by saying he'd host any map for anyone wishing to get a pc to do the analyzer routine... and even if he's not "on call", I'm sure all pc users would selflessly help mac users... am i wrong?


Yes, the patch killed the bug, finally
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
baskerville
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
541 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-13 16:21:13
January 13 2011 16:12 GMT
#40
NullCurrent:
"Here is the tileset I've used on Beneath the Ice:
Snow Tileset.SC2Map

you the man for sharing!
and

love your nick

and +1 for:
monitor: "Almost positive bridges are not path-able without ground beneath them"

i'd add that textures lights and doodads are there in the galaxy SPECIFICALLY for these types of purposes (ie: for hiding the pathway quirks)
i have not overcomed this issue either, the angles "allowed" for them to look cool are restricted...
http://www.teamliquid.net/mirror/smilies/random-big.gif
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 1461
RotterdaM969
TaKeTV 376
IndyStarCraft 204
SteadfastSC183
ZombieGrub108
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1461
RotterdaM 969
MaxPax 224
IndyStarCraft 204
SteadfastSC 183
RuFF_SC2 131
ZombieGrub108
UpATreeSC 78
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2633
Shuttle 456
Dewaltoss 114
910 66
Mind 59
Bale 14
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1117
Fnx 692
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu831
Other Games
summit1g3666
Grubby3088
Beastyqt741
shahzam496
C9.Mang0171
mouzStarbuck127
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV257
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream21
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 180
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 27
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade546
Other Games
• imaqtpie657
• Shiphtur316
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 43m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
14h 43m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.