• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:40
CEST 01:40
KST 08:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8719 users

Bandwagon Broodwar - Page 6

Forum Index > News
203 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 11 Next All
FakeKisser
Profile Joined September 2008
United States159 Posts
October 19 2009 19:04 GMT
#101
haha. awesome.

I'm not sure I'm 100% with you when you say "everyone's a fanboy," but I do see your point. I just think that if you like a player, you should have a reason why. It doesn't have to be anything complicated, but it shouldn't be, "Because everyone else does."

Of course, having good, educated debates about players (or almost any other topic) can be fun, but when it keeps going back to the same arguments, you just have to shake hands and walk away, because that's when opinions take over.

sKyHigh!!!
"Every generation needs a revolution" - Thomas Jefferson
Crunchums
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States11144 Posts
October 19 2009 19:08 GMT
#102
Thank you! This viewpoint is underrepresented amongst "the powers that be".
brood war for life, brood war forever
Nylan
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States795 Posts
October 19 2009 19:11 GMT
#103
It's about loyalty, man.
BeSt/Pure/Canata/Calm - I believe in Doh Jae Wook
sixghost
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States2096 Posts
October 19 2009 19:16 GMT
#104
On October 20 2009 04:04 FakeKisser wrote:
haha. awesome.

I'm not sure I'm 100% with you when you say "everyone's a fanboy," but I do see your point. I just think that if you like a player, you should have a reason why. It doesn't have to be anything complicated, but it shouldn't be, "Because everyone else does."

Of course, having good, educated debates about players (or almost any other topic) can be fun, but when it keeps going back to the same arguments, you just have to shake hands and walk away, because that's when opinions take over.

sKyHigh!!!

I doubt anyone likes a player or team just because lots of other people do. Maybe they like that team or player for the same reasons everyone else does, but its not simply because they are popular
mG.sixghost @ iCCup || One ling, two ling, three ling, four... Camp four gas, then ultra-whore . -Saracen
NewblearBomb
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada7 Posts
October 19 2009 19:19 GMT
#105
Great article. Fully agree. I'm even considering hopping on one of those CJ Bandwagons.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 19 2009 19:23 GMT
#106
Awesome articles on both sides, haha :D
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Mykill
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada3402 Posts
October 19 2009 19:24 GMT
#107
CJ IS SO WINNING!
110% sure
[~~The Impossible Leads To Invention~~] CJ Entusman #52 The problem with internet quotations is that they are hard to verify -Abraham Lincoln c.1863
Xenixx
Profile Joined June 2008
United States538 Posts
October 19 2009 19:28 GMT
#108
I get the feeling, without knowing how old you are or anything about you really, that you don't fully understand the term "bandwagon". Maybe its me, I'm a bit older than the majority of users here, I think the word implies a person that follows trends. So no, not everyone is a bandwagon fan. As an example, you see Flash is #1 in the rankings and you are calling yourself a fan. You don't know anything about him, you barely follow professional StarCraft but you declare you are a fan. That's a bandwagon fan.

I love BoxeR, I grew up playing StarCraft with him and our lives are pretty close in some ways but I did not jump on the bandwagon back then. I was surprised to hear the number of fans BoxeR has. I like BoxeR for his micro and I don't appreciate macro as much. That one big play is more memorable than a check mark in the Victory column after 50 minutes to me. Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, Jerry Rice are all playing a team sport to which they have big moments but they don't single handedly win a game do they? What are your thoughts?
Noah
Profile Joined June 2008
Norway164 Posts
October 19 2009 19:30 GMT
#109
My favorite article on TL.net!
Nylan
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States795 Posts
October 19 2009 19:35 GMT
#110
On October 20 2009 04:16 sixghost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2009 04:04 FakeKisser wrote:
haha. awesome.

I'm not sure I'm 100% with you when you say "everyone's a fanboy," but I do see your point. I just think that if you like a player, you should have a reason why. It doesn't have to be anything complicated, but it shouldn't be, "Because everyone else does."

Of course, having good, educated debates about players (or almost any other topic) can be fun, but when it keeps going back to the same arguments, you just have to shake hands and walk away, because that's when opinions take over.

sKyHigh!!!

I doubt anyone likes a player or team just because lots of other people do. Maybe they like that team or player for the same reasons everyone else does, but its not simply because they are popular


You, sir, do not remember how the Raiders once were.
BeSt/Pure/Canata/Calm - I believe in Doh Jae Wook
Iplaythings
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Denmark9110 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-19 19:55:14
October 19 2009 19:47 GMT
#111
Wow great read, appreciated that some other staff members accept bandwagoning.
And I been cheering for Flash ever since I saw him trouncing Stork in the GSI, and I been an anti fan of Stork undtil he beat Fantasy who is my newest hate, does that change of opinions make me and noone BW fan? No.
Thanks for pointing this out Hot_bid.

EDIT: And you think CJ will win ? KT has this in the bag!
In the woods, there lurks..
iFU.pauline
Profile Joined September 2009
France1769 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-19 20:01:45
October 19 2009 19:57 GMT
#112
this article is so lame period.

And this comment about being sure he's better than Boxer, even if i understand what you mean, you don't even know them, Boxer still has a descent t v z, what if they are zerg? You have no possibility to know anything if you don't know them, this is pure bullshit comment. If it's just to tell your opinion don't bother writing an article for everyone make your own blog.
No coward soul is mine, No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere, I see Heaven's glories shine, And Faith shines equal arming me from Fear
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
October 19 2009 20:03 GMT
#113
Put this in blogs please, this really has no place in news.
iamho
Profile Joined June 2009
United States3347 Posts
October 19 2009 20:12 GMT
#114
i think this article tried too hard to be realist and ended up in exaggeration
ForSC2
Profile Joined June 2009
United States580 Posts
October 19 2009 20:17 GMT
#115
On October 20 2009 00:02 Hot_Bid wrote:
or post "wow this dude sucks" every time Effort rolls over a crappy washed up Air Force player, no matter how many times he won a starleague in 2003. That's not disrespecting him. Because sucking now doesn't change his win back then, and winning then doesn't affect us recognizing he sucks today.

So when someone rolls over Reach when he doesn't even have the possibility of practicing the same amount as his opponent, you're gonna be saying wow this dude sucks when that'll probably be the last time we ever see him?

Because it seems to have happened to every professional player that has played Starcraft we know that a few years down the line everyone's gonna suck from Boxer to Jaedong. And because it's guaranteed to happen I can't even fault these players when after their time has passed they can't keep up with the highest tier of Starcraft.

In Starcraft there are definitely advantages with being able to transition to new players as time goes on. Because the length of a player's career is so short and most cannot come back after their respective times it is more reasonable to bet on a new horse than the old one.

Korea is an elder based society. Despite the length of their careers people hold high respect for old gamers because they paved the road that players today walk on. Every player today will call July hyung and not wow you suck July. And it's not just the age, more than just about any other sport, today's players build on top of the evolutions of the previous generation because they get to where they are by pouring over and replays/builds/styles of the generation that came before. If there was no Iloveoov we wouldn't have the same highest level of Starcraft because maybe no one would have been able to prove how strong Macro truly was.

It isn't just because of me that I have this attitude toward old gamers. When I look at interviews of Starcraft players themselves, none of them seem to think wow this dude sucks in regards to old gamers. Do you guys recall that game where Yellow beat Bisu when July got so pissed off because of the attitude of the "fans"? He was so angry because it felt so disrespectful to treat it like a miracle that this legend could even win a game.

How many of you remember this interview with Boxer after beating Flash while in the Air Force?

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=54809

It seems like time passes by fast. When older players lose to young players, the shock is greater than losing to other people. I cannot erase the feeling that I am being forgotten faster. So I clenched my teeth during the game today. I don’t want to be forgotten.

All the players on Air Force Ace, these might be the last times we can ever see them. If my last thoughts of a player were "wow this dude sucks" and I were to tell him that when it's something guaranteed to happen to every Starcraft player. How do you think Boxer would feel when he is already this down on himself for not being able to play as well as he wishes?

As a fan shouldn't one consider how the players feel? Because what does a fan do other than support the ones they cheer for? If I really wanted to support someone wouldn't it be best to try to see things in a way that makes them happy, than makes me happy?

It's just the attitude that these legends suck so bad makes me think of Kanye West doing this
[image loading]

while Boxer gives this interview
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=54809
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=2883#comic
Promises
Profile Joined February 2004
Netherlands1821 Posts
October 19 2009 20:20 GMT
#116
Awesome awesome post Hot_Bid ^^
I'm a man of my word, and that word is "unreliable".
bEsT[Alive]
Profile Joined July 2009
606 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-19 20:32:46
October 19 2009 20:26 GMT
#117
Good rant; although, ...

Everyone is a bandwagon fan. Everyone. You like watching players play because they are good. Sure there are some oddballs here and there that you like for style or whatever, but the bottom line is, no matter how many ridiculous strategies a player attempts, he will get no fans and no recognition unless he wins with them.


Okay, HB we get it. You know what a fan is; however, you should know the difference between a bandwagon and a fan. Not everyone is a bandwagoner. There are those faithful who stick by their team through and through for whatever reason, for example territorial patriotism.

Look at Michael Jordan. 100% of his fans are bandwagon fans. And those guys who cheered against him? Also bandwagon fans. Every single SK Telecom fan? Bandwagon fan. There's nothing wrong with that.


See above. This is a far cry from an Editorial. Like I said before, it's a rant. So you want to rev up the crowd and make them cheer louder. No problem with that. Hell, life would be boring without sports and everyone agreeing with everyone else. I love adding more fuel to the fire myself. Just the other night I was at the Leafs game with my Dad. I cheered for Toronto and jeered at New York louder than anyone else. Hell, I even yelled "Brashear's a fucking pansy" at the top of my lungs during the 2nd period. We were only 22 rows back. You know what happened after that scrimmage? Donald got a penalty. I like to think I had an impact on that call. Fans can impact the game and momentum in a match. It's true. The bandwagoners started their boos halfway during that period and you know what? I continued to cheer them on with my Dad. I know our team sucks, but there is no need for us to vocalize it by booing. We get it. You are loyal to CJ. That's fine. I'm a loyal fan to my Toronto Maple Leafs and MBC. You and I are good.

I'm a realist; you seem to be a realist (I think CJ has some stiff competition this year when it comes to taking the trophy home).

With that said, remember one thing: there is a difference between a fan and some bandwagon coming out of left field.
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun - Katharine Hepburn
ghostWriter
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3302 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-19 20:33:30
October 19 2009 20:31 GMT
#118
YEAH CJ
This is a great article, but there's a difference between liking someone when they are good and contining to like them even when they fall off and just always cheering for whoever the best player is at the time.
Sullifam
Eeevil
Profile Joined May 2008
Netherlands359 Posts
October 19 2009 20:38 GMT
#119
This article certainly ads to the one Plexa did quite nicely. Good read.

I wonder if there will be a third point of view.
Dance like a butterfly, sting like an Intercontinental Ballistic Nuclear Missle.
NrG.Bamboo
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2756 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-19 20:45:33
October 19 2009 20:42 GMT
#120
I've always been a Pantech/WeMade fan =[ And a big CJ/G.O hater.

But I don't really like people for their skill as much as how fun it is to watch them, and what kind of a person they are behind the gaming.

from last nights games
+ Show Spoiler +
I am now a Ryan/SangHo[Shield] fan, the dude looks like he could hit a jukebox to make it work again. Guy looks cool as hell


I'm almost sad to think about WeMade making it far in the proleague this season, because then there would be more fans, and I kind of like cheering for the underdog/being part of a small group of fanboys.
I need to protect all your life you can enjoy the vibrant life of your battery
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE144
PiGStarcraft110
CosmosSc2 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 584
Artosis 539
Rain 242
910 30
Dota 2
monkeys_forever625
Counter-Strike
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox218
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5409
Other Games
summit1g7797
shahzam571
JimRising 487
C9.Mang0243
ArmadaUGS84
Trikslyr49
Maynarde43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick747
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream158
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 119
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen186
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
21m
PiGStarcraft110
Kung Fu Cup
11h 21m
Stellar Fest
13h 21m
The PondCast
1d 10h
OSC
1d 13h
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.