• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:34
CEST 01:34
KST 08:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8258 users

Bandwagon Broodwar

Forum Index > News
203 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All

Bandwagon Broodwar

Text byHot_Bid
October 19th, 2009 15:02 GMT
[image loading]

Banner by Kennigit and Fanboys Everywhere


By now you've probably read the first few paragraphs of Backseat Broodwar. There seems to be a view that the masses don't "respect" old gamers and are just a giant bandwagon of front running fans. This seems like the same tired elitist argument that pervades every sport: "It used to be better back when..." No. It sucked back then. It sucked when the NBA had all white guys and people "played as a team." It sucked when football teams only ran the ball. It sucked when MLB players were all skinny and never hit home runs (yes, I went there). And it sucked when Brood War players could only control one group of units and had 2000/1000 in the bank after microing a group of marines for two minutes (hi BoxeR). It sucked when Brood War players had to specifically design a strategy around not making a lot of workers because they were just that bad at macro (hi YellOw).


[image loading]

I have no idea who this guy is but I know he's better than Boxer.
Image by NeverGG

Everyone is a bandwagon fan. Everyone. You like watching players play because they are good. Sure there are some oddballs here and there that you like for style or whatever, but the bottom line is, no matter how many ridiculous strategies a player attempts, he will get no fans and no recognition unless he wins with them. Are you really going to tell me that I can't like Flash because other people like him? I'm the biggest Ma Jae Yoon fan there is. I stick by him through thick and thin. Why am I a fan? Because he was ridiculously good. I remember him being good. Now, he's bad. I don't deny that. I still love Savior, but I also like Effort now. That doesn't mean I disrespect MJY -- it just means I'm a realist. I can applaud Savior for what he did for CJ, for himself, for the Zerg race -- but I can still point out that it is insane to send him out for an Ace Match when you have the Second Coming sitting on your bench. It seems like the elitists think that just because they liked a guy first or they know about some ancient history that they deserve to cheer for players more.

Is there really anything wrong with Joe Nooblet never watching Brood War before and instantly loving Jaedong? Does he really have to know that Jaedong lost to Rock 1-3 in his first Bo5 ZvP? Does having that knowledge or being a fan of JD two years back somehow entitle him to cheer more?Look at Michael Jordan. 100% of his fans are bandwagon fans. And those guys who cheered against him? Also bandwagon fans. Every single SK Telecom fan? Bandwagon fan. There's nothing wrong with that.


[image loading]

e-Stars Heritage League was like taking a time machine back to when players sucked.

Is it my fault I want to watch high level games? I went back the other day and watched Savior versus Nal_rA -- one of the most entertaining rivalries there was -- and it was sad. Really, it was. I'm all for appreciating what people can do at the peak of their abilities, but watching these old guys play against each other is like watching the WNBA or women's soccer. I understand that they're the best relative to their competition. I just don't care. I want to see the game played at its highest level, not some grandpa toss who can't figure out how to attack lurkers. Nal_rA, I get that you invented FE. That's great and all, but Bisu is the one that invented FE. I'm sure some fat white guy on a step ladder invented dunking, but Lebron James invented dunking.

Are we really flaming fanboys for actually liking the player they cheer for? Fanboys are spirited. Fanboys get angry. Fanboys are awesome. I'm CJ fanboy. I admit it. When it comes to all things CJ, I am irrationally and irrevocably pro-CJ. I think they are the best team ever. I go into every round of Proleague thinking "This is our year!!" I wouldn't trade Effort for anyone. No, I wouldn't trade him for Jaedong. I'm an Effort fanboy. What do you expect me to do? Find a player who sucks and cheer for him? Progaming is my hobby, I watch in my spare time. Since I'm not a masochist, I'll enjoy when my guys win, thank you very much. And I'm going to go into CJ threads and post "FFFFFFFF YEAH" every time Skyhigh cheeses Jaedong, or post "wow this dude sucks" every time Effort rolls over a crappy washed up Air Force player, no matter how many times he won a starleague in 2003. That's not disrespecting him. Because sucking now doesn't change his win back then, and winning then doesn't affect us recognizing he sucks today.

[image loading]

I'm a fanboy and I fully enjoyed this moment.


CJ is going to win proleague this year. There's still room -- hop on.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Deleted User 31060
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
3788 Posts
October 19 2009 15:14 GMT
#2
BackHo is still the best player on the planet in my book.
Peaked at C- on ICCUP and proud of it! @Sunyveil
iSiN
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1075 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-19 15:16:11
October 19 2009 15:15 GMT
#3
lol hotbid this was such a good read

it's like a staff flame war
Grouty @HoN/PCKJ <--<333 || Jaedong Fan Cafe GFX
kOre
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada3642 Posts
October 19 2009 15:16 GMT
#4
On October 20 2009 00:02 Hot_Bid wrote:
CJ is going to win proleague this year. There's still room -- hop on.

I hope so ... for the sake of my Fantasy team :D
http://www.starcraftmecca.net - Founder
nataziel
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Australia1455 Posts
October 19 2009 15:18 GMT
#5
Seems to me like this should be a blog and not front page news, but you're the admin...

Totally agree about the whole respect thing, sure the greats used to be good relative to the competition but now they suck, plain and simple. Sure, it's great when the win, but don't get your knickers in a knot when someone says they suck, cos that's just the truth.

BTW This is wemade's season fo sho
u gotta sk8
Pyrthas
Profile Joined March 2007
United States3196 Posts
October 19 2009 15:20 GMT
#6
On October 20 2009 00:02 Hot_Bid wrote:
I have no idea who this guy is but I know he's better than Boxer.

I loved this.
MountainDewJunkie
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States10346 Posts
October 19 2009 15:21 GMT
#7
Thank you for this, Hot_Bid.
[21:07] <Shock710> whats wrong with her face [20:50] <dAPhREAk> i beat it the day after it came out | <BLinD-RawR> esports is a giant vagina
wifebeater
Profile Joined January 2008
178 Posts
October 19 2009 15:23 GMT
#8
Great read Hot_Bid! I couldn't agree more..
Villain Terran~~~~~~~~~~
VictorW
Profile Joined May 2009
United States157 Posts
October 19 2009 15:25 GMT
#9
But if you didn't like a player before a certain date, it means you're not a real fan and can't enjoy or comprehend how good he is. You don't understand him!

There is no doubt that players today are better than the players from year ago and the mid and late game are much better, but I do prefer the old school style early games, where there was more action. Too many games these days feel like 5-7 minutes no rush, but large part of that is probably due to map design.
Process is more important than the result
StorrZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States13922 Posts
October 19 2009 15:25 GMT
#10
wow great read lol
Hwaseung Oz fan for life. Swing out, always swing out.
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
October 19 2009 15:25 GMT
#11
10/10
DrainX
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Sweden3187 Posts
October 19 2009 15:26 GMT
#12
No other player will ever take the place that Savior has in my heart. I won't ever let any new player get that much of my love. The pain when the stars finally fall is just too great =(
Ry-Masta-T
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States478 Posts
October 19 2009 15:28 GMT
#13
hit the nail on the head, great stuff hb
Speak the word...
Endurethetoothache
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States51 Posts
October 19 2009 15:28 GMT
#14
There's also that fanboy-esque bandwagon attitude towards the bad players and it's not out of respect but rather because NO ONE LIKES him. Why would anyone want to be masochistic like that?
There was never yet philosopher That could endure the toothache patiently. (Shakespeare)
ThunderGod
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
New Zealand897 Posts
October 19 2009 15:29 GMT
#15
Ahaha, Joe Nooblet.
"Certain forms of popular music nowadays, namely rap and hip hop styles, are just irritating gangsters bragging about their illegal exploits and short-sighted lifestyles." - Shiverfish ~2009
Herro_Korea
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
310 Posts
October 19 2009 15:29 GMT
#16
CJ is going to win proleague this year.

nope, Wemade is going to win it ofc
anyway this was a good read
+ Show Spoiler +
BTW This is wemade's season fo sho

whats up ?
(-_(-_(-_-)_-)_-)
TwoToneTerran
Profile Joined March 2009
United States8841 Posts
October 19 2009 15:30 GMT
#17
I think you mean KT.
Remember Violet.
revy
Profile Joined September 2009
United States1524 Posts
October 19 2009 15:30 GMT
#18
A sensible and reasonable article, this is not allowed here!
No_eL
Profile Joined July 2007
Chile1438 Posts
October 19 2009 15:31 GMT
#19
flame war? half staff and old fans are getting redish now!

i like CJ and new players, but the heroes of the past deserve RESPECT =)
Beat after beat i will become stronger.
Hyperionnn
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Turkey4968 Posts
October 19 2009 15:31 GMT
#20
11/10, had a great read and he is really about that stuff
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 621
White-Ra 134
910 44
Dota 2
monkeys_forever565
NeuroSwarm155
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe86
PPMD76
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8549
Liquid`Hasu1245
Trikslyr99
Other Games
summit1g8163
shahzam615
JimRising 415
C9.Mang0261
ArmadaUGS85
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick650
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream312
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 142
• Letter141
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki15
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 26m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.