• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:25
CEST 05:25
KST 12:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9842 users

Student Mafia XVI - Page 4

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 113 114 115 Next
rsoultin
Profile Blog Joined November 2014
Netherlands15308 Posts
October 13 2015 17:04 GMT
#61
I understand and apologize for being unclear but as you can see when I don't find the two roles any different and you do, the source of the miscommunication is obvious. Please don't use this as a reason not to coach.

I'm opinionated but if you think i'm wrong that being a coach for both alignments is essentially the same thing you shouldn't let my opinion keep you from coaching
"rsoultin: Mafia Suicide Inducer...you have unlimited shots because you are so god-damn relentless." - marvellosity (2015)
GlowingBear
Profile Joined May 2014
Brazil12446 Posts
October 13 2015 17:08 GMT
#62
On October 14 2015 02:00 Half the Sky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2015 01:30 GlowingBear wrote:
On October 14 2015 01:14 marvellosity wrote:
btw i'm not really following, do we have a problem with not enough coaches in general? what's the shindig?


I think there are enough coaches in general. The discussion is just that coaches are supposed to be willing to coach either alignments or not.

I have a 7/9 or 8/10 score as mafia but I was lynches in like 6 or 7, so I was doubting my ability to coach mafia.


Anyway. One thing I would like to add is that town coach QT is very straight forward. Scum QT not only involves coaching but also strategy discussion. It's like that teacher who tries to give his classes to a non-stop talking students.
Maybe having a separate QT for coaching would help?


Kitaman has already done this for his newbies - when I was mafia in his games - we had our own coaching QT as individual scummers and then the scum coaches also shared the scum QT with us. So they could talk our individual strategies with us in our individual QT and then team strategy/mislynches/nightkills were discussed in the collective mafia QT.

This was also helpful in the event scummers had problems/conflicts/disagreements with each other - whilst not the case in any of my scumteams it could prove helpful in certain situations. And it also reduced the clutter in the mafia QT as well.


I think this is good.

I had in mind a shared strategy QT and a shared coach QT, but what you said may also work
I'm adorable.
GlowingBear
Profile Joined May 2014
Brazil12446 Posts
October 13 2015 17:09 GMT
#63
On October 14 2015 02:04 rsoultin wrote:
I understand and apologize for being unclear but as you can see when I don't find the two roles any different and you do, the source of the miscommunication is obvious. Please don't use this as a reason not to coach.

I'm opinionated but if you think i'm wrong that being a coach for both alignments is essentially the same thing you shouldn't let my opinion keep you from coaching


Awwwww
I'm adorable.
Vonthin
Profile Joined August 2010
United States2864 Posts
October 13 2015 17:20 GMT
#64
I played 2-3 newbie mafia games here 2-3 years ago, would like to start playing again.

/in
Best Trashcan NA - LoL Summoner. SKT / CLG / Liquid
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
October 13 2015 17:23 GMT
#65
On October 14 2015 02:20 Vonthin wrote:
I played 2-3 newbie mafia games here 2-3 years ago, would like to start playing again.

/in


Welcome back!
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
NocturneMage
Profile Joined July 2015
United Kingdom1965 Posts
October 13 2015 17:49 GMT
#66
actually separate question from all of this - I just realised the number of people that asked to cohost. is there some pre-requisite I'm not aware of? I have a few newbies on me...

it's mainly vote counts right?
Vlad for life. SKT supporter. I policy lynch all dota players, end of.
KelsierSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10443 Posts
October 13 2015 17:50 GMT
#67
On October 14 2015 02:49 NocturneMage wrote:
actually separate question from all of this - I just realised the number of people that asked to cohost. is there some pre-requisite I'm not aware of? I have a few newbies on me...

it's mainly vote counts right?


you need to be good at making condescending judgments post game
Zerg for Life
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
October 13 2015 18:15 GMT
#68
On October 14 2015 02:49 NocturneMage wrote:
actually separate question from all of this - I just realised the number of people that asked to cohost. is there some pre-requisite I'm not aware of? I have a few newbies on me...

it's mainly vote counts right?


Being a co-host has no pre-requisites, though typically I prefer my co-hosts to have played at least 2 games on TL. For the most part, being a co-host means reading the thread, making vote counts, and being ready to step in and take over the game if the host can't handle things any more. You have to read the thread, since people will vote or maybe ask for something from the hosts, but since you're not reading it to like determine alignments it's not as intense. Still a time sink though.

Typically I try to give co-hosts a bit of insight into how running the game works, so that after co-hosting once or twice with me they're ready to host their own games. Many hosts (myself included) continue to co-host in addition to hosting just because it's lower-stress than being a host and is a way to contribute.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
raynpelikoneet
Profile Joined April 2007
Finland43270 Posts
October 13 2015 18:19 GMT
#69
I prefer asking questions privately and not allow them to be asked in thread since hosts can miss that.
I also prefer using Xatalos' vote counter or alternatively a voting thread (which is btw pain in the ass at least for me -- if i am playing, i heavily dislike it).

But yeah, the host/co-host should always read the thread anyways.
table for two on a tv tray
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-13 18:22:16
October 13 2015 18:20 GMT
#70
Oh yeah I mean in general, btw, the best way to ask hosts question is via PM definitely. Especially about certain things (role PMs, coaching etc) can only be asked via PM.

I read the thread for a variety of reasons, and also because it's fun to read usually.

Also, since it seems like a really good idea, coaches and students will be put in touch with each other an hour before game start-- so for the hour leading up to the day post, eveyrone will have their role PMs but won't be allowed to talk in-thread. I'll make this clear in host posts so everyone knows what's up
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
raynpelikoneet
Profile Joined April 2007
Finland43270 Posts
October 13 2015 18:21 GMT
#71
There is also the thing that you basically cannot miss if someone has sent you a PM whenever you log onto TL.
table for two on a tv tray
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
October 13 2015 18:22 GMT
#72
On October 14 2015 03:21 raynpelikoneet wrote:
There is also the thing that you basically cannot miss if someone has sent you a PM whenever you log onto TL.


This is probably the biggest part. When I remind people to vote, for example, I do it via PM for precisely this reason.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
raynpelikoneet
Profile Joined April 2007
Finland43270 Posts
October 13 2015 18:24 GMT
#73
On October 14 2015 03:22 Blazinghand wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2015 03:21 raynpelikoneet wrote:
There is also the thing that you basically cannot miss if someone has sent you a PM whenever you log onto TL.


This is probably the biggest part. When I remind people to vote, for example, I do it via PM for precisely this reason.

I would never do that. If you don't remember to vote you should not have joined the game anyways.
table for two on a tv tray
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-13 18:27:04
October 13 2015 18:26 GMT
#74
On October 14 2015 03:24 raynpelikoneet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2015 03:22 Blazinghand wrote:
On October 14 2015 03:21 raynpelikoneet wrote:
There is also the thing that you basically cannot miss if someone has sent you a PM whenever you log onto TL.


This is probably the biggest part. When I remind people to vote, for example, I do it via PM for precisely this reason.

I would never do that. If you don't remember to vote you should not have joined the game anyways.

Ah, maybe. Typically I remind all non-voters at the 12 hour mark, then again about an hour out. It costs me little. Sadly, a lot of people who don't vote are just totally AFK and don't vote at all or whatever. I figure it's always possible someone didn't format their vote, or, I didn't see their vote (if we're not using a voting thread) so they can be like "reply: oh hey dude I actually voted" and then mistakes are averted. Since I'm only human and newbies are new I try to cut some slack
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
raynpelikoneet
Profile Joined April 2007
Finland43270 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-13 18:31:23
October 13 2015 18:29 GMT
#75
I think that's not an issue anymore since there is the vote counter tool.

EDIT: but yeah, i understand the point in newbie games. Especially since other sites that play mafia usually don't require mandatory voting.
table for two on a tv tray
scott31337
Profile Joined January 2013
United States2979 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-13 20:33:10
October 13 2015 18:33 GMT
#76
/in:open
THIS WAGON IS HITTING MAFIA FOR SURE BOYS!
FarahBlackwing
Profile Joined October 2015
270 Posts
October 13 2015 19:45 GMT
#77
/in

I hope I'm ok enough
MoosyDoosy
Profile Joined November 2014
United States4519 Posts
October 13 2015 23:41 GMT
#78
On October 13 2015 21:16 rsoultin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2015 21:15 raynpelikoneet wrote:
I mean like if you coach mafia you are in my opinion supposed to work on what's happening in the game and more importantly what will most likely happen and discuss that and how your students will stay alive. Town is basically reactionary to what has happened, mafia is not. If you don't plan ahead you will just die most of the times.


lol tbh i think it's a mixture of both. scumteams have failed just as much by being too rigid and not able to adapt to those crazy townies as they have at not planning ahead

-cough- Rels team.

But tbh although rayn bitches about having to read the thread, he will probably do it anyway even if he coaches town as I had a dim suspicion he was doing somewhat with me.
"Just a second too late rsoultin :D" - My 4k Guardian post
MoosyDoosy
Profile Joined November 2014
United States4519 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-14 00:03:22
October 14 2015 00:01 GMT
#79
Okay, these are my thoughts on this really dumb coaching debate.

There are two tiers to newbies.
- The first tier are the brand new newbies who are playing Mafia for the first time. For these people, coaches like rsoultin who teach how to look townie are good. I remember rsoultin was my first coach and she did a decent job at keeping the information thrown at me to a good level and focused on town psychology that would make me look good.
- The second tier are the newbies who are coming back and have the basics of looking townie down. These people mostly require advice on how to formulate reads and to push/pursue them as well as needing review on whether or not their case is good as well as learning how to make people listen to them. rayn was a good coach for me because he helped look over my cases and gave me the right prods on making my reads.

AFTER THIS there's not much other advice that coaches can give other than extreme set up speculation or more difficult stuff and other fine tuning in general. At this point the best coach is just experience and playing more games.

To this, I think there should be different coaches to different strengths. As I said, rsoultin was really good in my first game because it was literally my first ever forum Mafia game and if she talked about making reads and having people sheep me and other stuff I would probably be overwhelmed.
After that, people should be paired up with coaches like rayn who is good at making cases and forcing people to follow him.
These are just examples of coaches so idk but the people wanting to coach probably know what their best at coaching like rsoultin and rayn so they can figure themselves out.

There are of course supreme coaches like geript who is like a blanket god coach for the Mafia alignment and no one is better than him so yeah.
"Just a second too late rsoultin :D" - My 4k Guardian post
GlowingBear
Profile Joined May 2014
Brazil12446 Posts
October 14 2015 00:56 GMT
#80
On October 14 2015 04:45 FarahBlackwing wrote:
/in

I hope I'm ok enough


Welcome!
I'm adorable.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 113 114 115 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 178
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1943
GuemChi 1433
NotJumperer 169
910 72
Bale 28
ajuk12(nOOB) 16
Terrorterran 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm193
febbydoto13
Counter-Strike
taco 458
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King29
Other Games
summit1g8254
Doublelift1412
JimRising 612
C9.Mang0376
PiGStarcraft291
WinterStarcraft244
Maynarde124
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick992
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter1412
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo698
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 35m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
7h 35m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
20h 35m
Patches Events
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.