• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:59
CEST 10:59
KST 17:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10111 users

[HGC] Interview with Arcaner

Forum Index > Heroes of the Storm
Post a Reply
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
July 07 2018 13:03 GMT
#1


Interview

With
Arcaner

Interview by Rozai



Liam “Arcaner” Simpson is a relative newcomer to the European HGC scene but has been a prevalent competitor since the game’s inception. Having left his Australian home to live in Europe, he has sought to challenge himself and prove his worth on a bigger stage.

Arcaner served as the main tank for Method in the first phase of 2018, a team which saw great success as they qualified for the Western Clash and Mid-Season Brawl. After the closing of the Phase 1 roster change window, Arcaner left Method to join Team Liquid as ranged carry. This was accompanied by a role swap for Nurok, who moved to support after the departure of Splendour to the Monkey Menagerie (formerly Tricked eSport).

I recently spoke with Arcaner to reflect on his experiences at the Mid-Season Brawl as well as his new role with Team Liquid.






Tell us a little bit about yourself.

My name is Liam Simpson, otherwise known as Arcaner, and I've been playing Heroes of the Storm since August of 2014. I spent 2015 learning the game and then started to perform in tournaments during 2016 as a semi-pro. Once I qualified for BlizzCon 2016, I decided to take the game very seriously and pursue playing it professionally. I spent just over half of 2017 playing for an Australian team called Nomia, where I competed at both Western Clashes and the Mid-Season Brawl.



Afterwards in August, I decided that I wanted to move to Europe to play in HGC. I arrived in Europe in late September and made it into HGC 2018 as a recruit.



How has the transition of leaving Australia to play in the EU been for you?

It was a difficult few months when I moved and started looking for tryouts for HGC. I took a risk in moving without confirmation that I'd get on a team, so I had to work non-stop to make sure it happened. Once I joined Team Expert/Method, I felt a lot of pressure to perform at a top tier on melee, and I struggled with the role swap at first.

Once I started scrimming in January, I felt like I was improving rapidly and building up confidence in my own play that helped me perform well in my debut match of HGC 2018. After this match, I felt confident and optimistic, allowing me to relax and enjoy playing in Europe.



On the Mid-Season Brawl




What was it like playing against Korean teams like Tempest? Did you get to scrim with any other teams?

What was it like? Exciting, I guess. I can't remember my exact emotions or thoughts after scrimming Gen.G and Ballistix, but I do recall being impressed by their teamwork and individual mechanics. Tempest also showed a lot of strength against us in the group stage, and afterwards I remember feeling inspired from playing some very high level matches.



Were you satisfied with your result?

As a team, no. From our performance in scrims leading up to the event, I thought our top goal could be to make 4th, so I was disappointed not getting close to that and placing 8th.



As for my own play on tank, I was satisfied since I didn't commit much time to practicing my tank mechanics in Hero League. I didn't want to be the burden on my team at the event, so it meant a lot to me to play well on a role I never considered myself talented on.



What were your biggest takeaways from the event as a player?

I've already learned what it feels like to watch others succeed whilst having to accept my own defeat. It sucks and it can be very difficult to understand your emotions during high energy events, especially coming to terms with almost winning an important series. So I think what I learned from this event was how high Rich has set the bar for me to reach in ranged DPS play. My goal now is to catch up to him.



Did you get to do anything else while you were in Sweden?

I didn't really have time to explore Sweden, but my team and I ate some nice Swedish pizza. I'm looking forward to eating it again next year.



On playing with Liquid




How is the new team dynamic, especially with all the role swaps?

The new team dynamic feels positive and quite energetic; it felt like I entered into an established, professional environment. Our transition regarding role swaps has been smooth, as NuroK has been performing well in a short amount of time on support, and in scrims I'm feeling confident performing on ranged.

Ranged carry is a role that I'm extremely passionate about, and the only other role that comes close is support. I feel a lot of freedom being able to play my role of choice for this season, and I have some big goals I want to achieve soon. I plan to be the best ranged carry internationally, and I'm feeling confident in achieving this.



You seemed very comfortable on ranged this weekend with some admirable Genji play and even some Sgt. Hammer. I take it you watched Rich a good bit at the MSB?

I wasn't pleased with my performance against Fnatic. I played too nervously, wasn't accurate on some of my skillshots, and made quite a lot of mistakes in decision making as well. I am a bit confused that I had some positive feedback for the weekend's games, but I will take the compliments and make sure to perform at my potential in future HGC matches.



I watched Rich a lot during the MSB and figured out how to play some of the heroes he was good at optimally, and I've been using the information to refine some of my heroes like Hanzo.



Your first weekend with Team Liquid was quite a successful one after defeating the Monkey Menagerie 3-1 and finally besting Fnatic in one of the best series of the weekend. What is the general mood of the team right now and what did you learn from these series as you prepare for the rest of HGC?

The team mood is quite happy. Winning both series, particularly the one versus Fnatic, makes our chances of qualifying for the Western Clash high. We learned that we still aren't playing clean enough when we can play better in scrims, so we are going to be more critical of our mistakes in scrims this week.



Do you have any thoughts on the rest of EU after the roster swaps and seeing their performances on the opening weekend?

I think there's a clear difference in strength between Dignitas and the rest of the region. I don't believe they will be contested during this part of Phase 2, but if they are contested in the future it might be from Team Liquid or Method. Fnatic seemed quite strong in our HGC matches, but we have yet to scrim them, so I don't have much information on them. As for the rest of the HGC teams, they all appear competitive and shouldn't be underestimated in tournament matches.





Any shoutouts?

Shoutout to Team Liquid, my teammates and Zoos. Also thank you to all the fans cheering for my team and me.






Arcaner is practicing hard for this weekend's #HGC games.

You can follow him on Twitter and watch his frequent streams on Twitch.









Interview: Rozai
Editor(s): EsportsJohn
Formatting: EsportsJohn
Design: shiroiusagi
Photo Credit: Blizzard


StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 4535
Horang2 364
Hyuk 359
Hyun 85
Hm[arnc] 73
Shinee 64
sorry 58
ggaemo 55
Killer 54
Snow 50
[ Show more ]
Bale 38
Bonyth 32
BeSt 23
JYJ 14
League of Legends
JimRising 553
Other Games
summit1g9089
gofns4939
singsing1086
Mew2King89
ArmadaUGS72
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick716
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream176
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 51
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2402
League of Legends
• Lourlo1414
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 1m
INu's Battles
3h 1m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
6h 1m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 1m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 1m
Replay Cast
14h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 2h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.