• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:54
CEST 21:54
KST 04:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11642 users

Why are gamers such unpleasant people? - Page 4

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Fen
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Australia1848 Posts
April 10 2009 16:29 GMT
#61
On the net, you have no accountability. You can be an asshole and no-one is going to punch you in the face. So it gives 14 year old boys the chance to be the rebellious little shits that they want to be, without the consequences that usually would come with it.

As you get older, most people mature and lose that desire to be a dickface (note: I said most, not all). But seeing as such a large percentage of gamers are 14 year old boys, and the interenet allows them completely anonimity, the result is a very stupid environment.
jello_biafra
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United Kingdom6642 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-10 16:32:44
April 10 2009 16:29 GMT
#62
95% of them are probably perfectly agreeable guys in real life. But when you have the anonymity of the internet many people will act like a fag for no reason.

Edit:And I don't really think it's that bad a thing, the reason I still go on US East is because you get some hilarious characters on there.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions | aka Probert[PaiN] @ iccup / godlikeparagon @ twitch | my BW stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/jello_biafra
SweeTLemonS[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
11739 Posts
April 10 2009 16:45 GMT
#63
On April 11 2009 00:44 Hawk wrote:
Anonymity is #1.
#2 is that gaming isn't exactly a social thing to begin with, so you're often dealing with people who lack social skills!

Combine the two, and it's real easy to understand why it happens.

Plus, being a dick online is such a release from the normal, respectful adult that most people pretend to be in real life. I was playing GTA4 freemode the other day online, and a bunch of kids were role playing some club shit, vip parking and all that jazz. I got all the guns I, head over, run over the 3 or 4 people outside, and shoot up the entire joint, and laugh at the chaos over the mic.

Sometimes it's just fun to be a dick.


Haha, that's funny. The role playing thing is kinda lame. You're supposed to kill people in that game. Running a drive by seems like the only option there, imo.

I think basically your two options, but a bit added. The people like that want to take their lack of social skills out on everyone around them, so they do it through games. And someone else said that they want to make it feel as though what they're doing is somehow important; I agree with that, too. That certainly seems to be the way some people I know personally act when they play games online. They also find stupid shit like 4chan, and encyclopedia dramatica funny.
I'm never gonna know you now \ But I'm gonna love you anyhow.
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
April 10 2009 16:45 GMT
#64
On April 11 2009 01:08 redtooth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2009 01:03 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
On April 09 2009 08:32 ghostWriter wrote:
On April 09 2009 08:27 Resonance wrote:
I'd say it's mainly just b/c they are anonymous. If you meet most of these people in real life they are probably pretty normal. Also has to do w/accountability imo. Look @ TL, if there weren't bans, people would be a lot more unpleasant (though a lot of you guys aren't really pleasant anyway ).

I do agree though that a lot of gamers are assholes.


Idra, Incontrol, Rekrul?

Bad mannered but incontrol and rekrul are really funny. I especially liked incontrol's "argument" with testie and his rant about zerg.


actually rekrul and I are pretty bad examples cause we are like this in person as well.. ask anyone that knows us. IdrA is too to an extent he just shouldn't be because raw Darwinism holds that mice shouldn't be cocky around lions.
and "cubbies" shouldn't be so revealing around gays. they don't reproduce well.


It's amazing how with such excellent material you manage to be unfunny. Truly an accomplishment.
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
April 10 2009 16:54 GMT
#65
^^^hahahaha^^^
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
Heaven_n
Profile Joined April 2009
Mexico170 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-10 17:03:49
April 10 2009 16:59 GMT
#66
wrong thread lol
Savior: I will destroy everyone in 2009 if thats ok with u thanks
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
April 10 2009 17:01 GMT
#67
hahahah

Yeah dude.. ask any question in any thread man.. that will work.
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
April 10 2009 17:03 GMT
#68
What, that's not how it works :O?
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
Terranist
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2496 Posts
April 10 2009 18:38 GMT
#69
halo players
The Show of a Lifetime
Pieguy314
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada262 Posts
April 10 2009 19:25 GMT
#70
On April 09 2009 06:39 SonuvBob wrote:
[image loading]

Although that image was quite funny please don't try to generalize people by their age. Many TL'ers (including myself) are 14 and you don't see us acting like retards on messageboards/games/youtube
asdfasdf
Phrujbaz
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Netherlands512 Posts
April 10 2009 19:34 GMT
#71
On April 09 2009 07:59 InToTheWannaB wrote:
Like i have said before. If I knew I could get away with killing, burning, rapeing and pillaging i would. I basicly be a fucking viking if there was no law. Does that make me ass hole? I dont know really. I think its just what humans do. The internets just a world with no laws. So people figuratively kill, burn, rape, and pillage on the internet because thats what humans do.


Two things make people be jerks. One, is insecurity. The other is lack of empathy. Punishment, anonymity, accountability, all those are completely irrelevant. They act like a smoke-screen, hiding jerks behind a facade of normality, but deep down they are still jerks.

And yes, those are a minority. It's not human nature to be a dickhead.

If you only act normal because you are accountable for your actions, congratulations, you are an asshole, and you should feel ashamed of yourself.
Caution! Future approaching rapidly at a rate of about 60 seconds per minute.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
April 10 2009 19:38 GMT
#72
On April 11 2009 04:25 Pieguy314 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2009 06:39 SonuvBob wrote:
[image loading]

Although that image was quite funny please don't try to generalize people by their age. Many TL'ers (including myself) are 14 and you don't see us acting like retards on messageboards/games/youtube


This graph is not about acting like retards. It's simply a display of typical 14yo activities on the net.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
April 10 2009 20:01 GMT
#73
Don't get upset about 14yo comments you will be older soon and making them yourself
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
HeavOnEarth
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States7087 Posts
April 10 2009 20:51 GMT
#74
On April 11 2009 04:25 Pieguy314 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2009 06:39 SonuvBob wrote:
[image loading]

Although that image was quite funny please don't try to generalize people by their age. Many TL'ers (including myself) are 14 and you don't see us acting like retards on messageboards/games/youtube

o.O obviously the message isn't for you then.
although if u really take offense to it .. that's an indicator of something.. i'll llet you think about it ;o
"come korea next time... FXO house... 10 korean, 10 korean"
Klockan3
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Sweden2866 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-10 22:18:07
April 10 2009 22:16 GMT
#75
On April 11 2009 04:34 Phrujbaz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2009 07:59 InToTheWannaB wrote:
Like i have said before. If I knew I could get away with killing, burning, rapeing and pillaging i would. I basicly be a fucking viking if there was no law. Does that make me ass hole? I dont know really. I think its just what humans do. The internets just a world with no laws. So people figuratively kill, burn, rape, and pillage on the internet because thats what humans do.


Two things make people be jerks. One, is insecurity. The other is lack of empathy. Punishment, anonymity, accountability, all those are completely irrelevant. They act like a smoke-screen, hiding jerks behind a facade of normality, but deep down they are still jerks.

Do you mean they lack empathy from others or that they lack the ability to feel empathy towards others?

Because I was never a jerk like that and my childhood were a huge mess. And what do insecurity have to with it it? Imo it is a myth that jerks are just insecure wimps trying to climb on the social ladder, thinking like that makes you just as bad as them.

It is the thought "I am better/more important than ...." which makes people into jerks, even "I am better than jerks" makes you a jerk.
-fj.
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Samoa462 Posts
April 11 2009 23:13 GMT
#76
The reason why we are so nice and those on XBL are such asses is one of anonymity. The thing people forget when they talk about anonymity on the internet is that it isn't about a connection between your online self and yourself in real life, it is about the connection between your online self and the online space you are currently in. On teamliquid things are pretty small scale and it is easy to get to know people, while on XBL you can safely assume that you may never play the same person twice. Because we know eachother we have identities, and once a person has an identity they have to work to protect their identity's reputation.

There is another forum that for a game engine I use where it is the same as here; everyone is nice, uses syntactical english most of the time, and no one is calling anyone else a fag. And most importantly, the pros respect the noobs and vice versa. (Or in the case of forum.unity3d.com, the hobbyists, kids, studio professionals and engine developers all respect eachother and engage in the same enthusiastic dialog). The only reason behind this is that everyone has a reputation which is all important to their membership to the community. I think it is as simple as that.

And I'd even say this applies to offline communities as well, though I can't think of any examples.
Divinek
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada4045 Posts
April 12 2009 00:19 GMT
#77
On April 11 2009 04:25 Pieguy314 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2009 06:39 SonuvBob wrote:
[image loading]

Although that image was quite funny please don't try to generalize people by their age. Many TL'ers (including myself) are 14 and you don't see us acting like retards on messageboards/games/youtube


I find it to be a very fair and accurate generalization of 14 year olds on the internet and in person
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Oh goodness me, FOX tv where do you get your sight? Can't you keep track, the puck is black. That's why the ice is white.
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
April 12 2009 00:25 GMT
#78
The internet wasn't nearly as bad when I was 14...

Seriously, though. OP is true, but it's not just in console games. You get it everywhere...it's one of the main reasons why I gave up on DotA, and you even get that on b.net and sometimes iccup. It's annoying. ):
Hello
Phrujbaz
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Netherlands512 Posts
April 12 2009 00:45 GMT
#79
On April 11 2009 07:16 Klockan3 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2009 04:34 Phrujbaz wrote:
On April 09 2009 07:59 InToTheWannaB wrote:
Like i have said before. If I knew I could get away with killing, burning, rapeing and pillaging i would. I basicly be a fucking viking if there was no law. Does that make me ass hole? I dont know really. I think its just what humans do. The internets just a world with no laws. So people figuratively kill, burn, rape, and pillage on the internet because thats what humans do.


Two things make people be jerks. One, is insecurity. The other is lack of empathy. Punishment, anonymity, accountability, all those are completely irrelevant. They act like a smoke-screen, hiding jerks behind a facade of normality, but deep down they are still jerks.

Do you mean they lack empathy from others or that they lack the ability to feel empathy towards others?

Because I was never a jerk like that and my childhood were a huge mess. And what do insecurity have to with it it? Imo it is a myth that jerks are just insecure wimps trying to climb on the social ladder, thinking like that makes you just as bad as them.

It is the thought "I am better/more important than ...." which makes people into jerks, even "I am better than jerks" makes you a jerk.

I meant lack the ability to feel empathy towards others.

I think the thought "I am better/more important than ..." is one result of insecurity. There are other results of insecurity that can lead to someone doing unkind things.
Caution! Future approaching rapidly at a rate of about 60 seconds per minute.
InToTheWannaB
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4770 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-12 02:13:15
April 12 2009 02:10 GMT
#80
On April 11 2009 04:34 Phrujbaz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2009 07:59 InToTheWannaB wrote:
Like i have said before. If I knew I could get away with killing, burning, rapeing and pillaging i would. I basicly be a fucking viking if there was no law. Does that make me ass hole? I dont know really. I think its just what humans do. The internets just a world with no laws. So people figuratively kill, burn, rape, and pillage on the internet because thats what humans do.


Two things make people be jerks. One, is insecurity. The other is lack of empathy. Punishment, anonymity, accountability, all those are completely irrelevant. They act like a smoke-screen, hiding jerks behind a facade of normality, but deep down they are still jerks.

And yes, those are a minority. It's not human nature to be a dickhead.

If you only act normal because you are accountable for your actions, congratulations, you are an asshole, and you should feel ashamed of yourself.

Well your right about the lack of empathy part. I just disagree with the idea that "its not human nature to be a dickhead" as you say. The strong living off the weak is not only human nature, it is nature. I think your underestimating just how scary a world with no law or way to inforce laws would be. You feel empathy for strangers because the safety of modern life lets you. If that safety ever vanished you just watch how quickly you'd stop caring about the feelings of others. Yourself and your family will be all that matters. Do you think vikings ever felt ashamed about sacking a city, or killing people? I guess you can call them assholes if you want, but the world they lived in is very different then what we live in. Acts like that was just a part of everyday life. Kill or be killed, thats nature.
When the spirit is not altogether slain, great loss teaches men and women to desire greatly, both for themselves and for others.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1145
TKL 458
IndyStarCraft 279
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1145
TKL 458
IndyStarCraft 279
EmSc Tv 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23095
Calm 2264
Shuttle 344
Mini 174
White-Ra 174
ZZZero.O 126
firebathero 75
scan(afreeca) 19
soO 14
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc7765
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1723
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4180
Liquid`Hasu572
MindelVK19
Other Games
summit1g6612
Liquid`RaSZi2343
FrodaN1650
fl0m1562
olofmeister738
B2W.Neo721
crisheroes417
Beastyqt393
Livibee180
Pyrionflax161
Mew2King61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick876
BasetradeTV220
StarCraft 2
angryscii 22
EmSc Tv 17
EmSc2Tv 17
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 34
• Adnapsc2 17
• niya90s 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki47
• blackmanpl 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1439
• Shiphtur728
• WagamamaTV352
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 6m
Replay Cast
3h 6m
OSC
16h 6m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.