• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:02
CEST 01:02
KST 08:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6887 users

The Chess Thread - Page 46

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 131 Next
Orome
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Switzerland11984 Posts
September 04 2014 22:53 GMT
#901
And so ends the 10/10 dream. Bit sad because he had serious winning chances today, but ah well. Still a ridiculous run.
On a purely personal note, I'd like to show Yellow the beauty of infinitely repeating Starcraft 2 bunkers. -Boxer
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
September 08 2014 02:35 GMT
#902
I practiced KQ vs. KR for about 3 hours today and I can sort of do it now...
don_kyuhote
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
3007 Posts
September 08 2014 08:44 GMT
#903
On September 08 2014 11:35 calgar wrote:
I practiced KQ vs. KR for about 3 hours today and I can sort of do it now...

haha I've played 1000+ live chess games ever since I started playing on chess.com, but I can honestly say that I reached a pure KQ vs KR position exactly once. I was the one with the Queen, and I knew at the time that KQ theoretically wins (how was a different story )but unfortunately, it was a 30/0 game, and I had less than a minute left, so I had to perpetual check and claim a draw by repetition or else I was just going to lose on time. I guess it pays to know. That was when I decided playing with 0 increment sucks
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-08 08:54:17
September 08 2014 08:53 GMT
#904
I don't know if I've ever had a game with queen vs rook. Not even in bullet or blitz or anything. Playing with increments is definitely better. No more crazy stuff with draw claims either.
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
September 08 2014 12:11 GMT
#905
On September 08 2014 17:53 GolemMadness wrote:
I don't know if I've ever had a game with queen vs rook. Not even in bullet or blitz or anything. Playing with increments is definitely better. No more crazy stuff with draw claims either.
I've never had any of the unusual ones either but I figure they might show up eventually when it really matters. I saw someone else with KBN a year ago in a money round and he couldn't do it in 50 moves. His opponent was making check marks instead of notating though so he couldn't claim a draw. KBN got extra moves with the TD watching and was able to finish it the second time around.
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
September 08 2014 12:59 GMT
#906
Yeah I learnt QvR at some point. It's actually quite enjoyable. There's several zugzwang positions you can learn that make your life easier.

e.g.
[image loading]
This is a zugzwang position, black to move loses very fast, white to move wants to give black the move, e.g. 1.Qg5+ Kd7 2.Qg4+ Kd8 3.Qf5 and we have the original position with black to move.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
September 09 2014 03:19 GMT
#907
I posted some endgame analysis if anyone's interested: http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/466609-chess-an-endgame-analysis
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
don_kyuhote
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
3007 Posts
September 10 2014 04:03 GMT
#908
Round 2 of the TL chess tourney has finally begun!

http://www.chess.com/tournaments/pairings?id=93474&round=2

GL HF to all 10 of you. This is where I believe shit starts to get real.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
October 01 2014 23:02 GMT
#909
Fanboy moment of the month:

[image loading]
paddyz
Profile Joined May 2011
Ireland628 Posts
October 01 2014 23:18 GMT
#910
I loved chess when I was 10-14 and have only played a couple of games a year since. But no game no life has rekindled my interest (a sad source, I know..maybe even more sad then when lord loss did the same :/).

Ty for linking so many resources on the first page, appreciated.
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-16 01:14:16
October 16 2014 01:13 GMT
#911
The other day I learned to checkmate with bishop and knight in under 50 moves. I wanted to punch my monitor a few times in that session though
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-20 21:55:25
October 20 2014 21:54 GMT
#912
w00t w00t finally broke 1600 on chesstempo standard tactics and also broke 1600 a few days ago on chess.com tactics trainer before my month subscription ran out


Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
don_kyuhote
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
3007 Posts
October 24 2014 06:30 GMT
#913
Congrats man.!

Meanwhile, Chess.com randomly just inflated people's live standard rating by anywhere from 150 to several hundred points.
Their explanation (I just skimmed over it) seem like they wanted the live standard rating to match more closely their OTB rating? which is funny because I thought people's online ratings were generally lower than OTB ratings.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
October 25 2014 20:44 GMT
#914
On October 24 2014 15:30 don_kyuhote wrote:
Congrats man.!

Meanwhile, Chess.com randomly just inflated people's live standard rating by anywhere from 150 to several hundred points.
Their explanation (I just skimmed over it) seem like they wanted the live standard rating to match more closely their OTB rating? which is funny because I thought people's online ratings were generally lower than OTB ratings.

Mine didn't change at all - it's still over 300 lower than otb. Their standard is pretty deflated so it seems like a good change though. I don't think you can generalize about online ratings being higher or lower because they are calculated differently.
Ettick
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States2434 Posts
October 25 2014 23:53 GMT
#915
My college's chess club went over to another college and played a tournament with them today. Was my first tournament, though it wasn't rated or anything.

I had the first game locked down, a piece up, though I missed a tactic that would have gotten me a rook for a knight. The opening was a Sicilian, if I recall correctly. I exchanged too much and it ended up as a king and pawn endgame that I should have won, but I blundered and let his king behind the pawn that I was going to promote. I resigned because he had a pawn that was going to queen.

The second game was the same story in the early game, a Sicilian where I trapped one of my opponent's pieces, but it turned out how I wanted it to in the late game and I ended up winning.

Third game was against a beginner, was so short that we played another for fun and finished it before most other people finished one game.

Fourth game was a Slav defense exchange variation. It was close all the way until the endgame where I threw away a rook and couldn't come back. I had a lot of pressure against his king, but I cracked under pressure and missed a fork.

They gave out free chess books at the end and there was free pizza as well. Was a lot of fun.
I found out that I'm a much better player when the games are more serious and I'm also miles better OTB than online, but I barely play online now so I dunno.
don_kyuhote
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
3007 Posts
October 26 2014 00:33 GMT
#916
On October 26 2014 05:44 calgar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 24 2014 15:30 don_kyuhote wrote:
Congrats man.!

Meanwhile, Chess.com randomly just inflated people's live standard rating by anywhere from 150 to several hundred points.
Their explanation (I just skimmed over it) seem like they wanted the live standard rating to match more closely their OTB rating? which is funny because I thought people's online ratings were generally lower than OTB ratings.

Mine didn't change at all - it's still over 300 lower than otb. Their standard is pretty deflated so it seems like a good change though. I don't think you can generalize about online ratings being higher or lower because they are calculated differently.

Yea I didn't get any rating boost either. I didn't play live standard for maybe 5 days before this happened, so I guess they considered me inactive or something? It's really inconsistent because I know people who have been "inactive" for longer days than me who got the boost.
Not that I care too deeply about it. I guess I'll enjoy my time beating up on people who are rated about the same as me but really 200 points weaker

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-26 00:35:36
October 26 2014 00:35 GMT
#917
I'm about 1.9 rl and got a boost from 1,6 to 1,8 on standard so I guess the inflation made some sense, at least for me :o
don_kyuhote
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
3007 Posts
October 26 2014 01:26 GMT
#918
On October 26 2014 08:53 Ettick wrote:
My college's chess club went over to another college and played a tournament with them today. Was my first tournament, though it wasn't rated or anything.

I had the first game locked down, a piece up, though I missed a tactic that would have gotten me a rook for a knight. The opening was a Sicilian, if I recall correctly. I exchanged too much and it ended up as a king and pawn endgame that I should have won, but I blundered and let his king behind the pawn that I was going to promote. I resigned because he had a pawn that was going to queen.

The second game was the same story in the early game, a Sicilian where I trapped one of my opponent's pieces, but it turned out how I wanted it to in the late game and I ended up winning.

Third game was against a beginner, was so short that we played another for fun and finished it before most other people finished one game.

Fourth game was a Slav defense exchange variation. It was close all the way until the endgame where I threw away a rook and couldn't come back. I had a lot of pressure against his king, but I cracked under pressure and missed a fork.

They gave out free chess books at the end and there was free pizza as well. Was a lot of fun.
I found out that I'm a much better player when the games are more serious and I'm also miles better OTB than online, but I barely play online now so I dunno.

You should annotate your game and write a blog
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Ettick
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States2434 Posts
October 26 2014 03:14 GMT
#919
On October 26 2014 10:26 don_kyuhote wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 26 2014 08:53 Ettick wrote:
My college's chess club went over to another college and played a tournament with them today. Was my first tournament, though it wasn't rated or anything.

I had the first game locked down, a piece up, though I missed a tactic that would have gotten me a rook for a knight. The opening was a Sicilian, if I recall correctly. I exchanged too much and it ended up as a king and pawn endgame that I should have won, but I blundered and let his king behind the pawn that I was going to promote. I resigned because he had a pawn that was going to queen.

The second game was the same story in the early game, a Sicilian where I trapped one of my opponent's pieces, but it turned out how I wanted it to in the late game and I ended up winning.

Third game was against a beginner, was so short that we played another for fun and finished it before most other people finished one game.

Fourth game was a Slav defense exchange variation. It was close all the way until the endgame where I threw away a rook and couldn't come back. I had a lot of pressure against his king, but I cracked under pressure and missed a fork.

They gave out free chess books at the end and there was free pizza as well. Was a lot of fun.
I found out that I'm a much better player when the games are more serious and I'm also miles better OTB than online, but I barely play online now so I dunno.

You should annotate your game and write a blog

Didn't record any of them
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
October 26 2014 07:47 GMT
#920
On October 26 2014 12:14 Ettick wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 26 2014 10:26 don_kyuhote wrote:
On October 26 2014 08:53 Ettick wrote:
My college's chess club went over to another college and played a tournament with them today. Was my first tournament, though it wasn't rated or anything.

I had the first game locked down, a piece up, though I missed a tactic that would have gotten me a rook for a knight. The opening was a Sicilian, if I recall correctly. I exchanged too much and it ended up as a king and pawn endgame that I should have won, but I blundered and let his king behind the pawn that I was going to promote. I resigned because he had a pawn that was going to queen.

The second game was the same story in the early game, a Sicilian where I trapped one of my opponent's pieces, but it turned out how I wanted it to in the late game and I ended up winning.

Third game was against a beginner, was so short that we played another for fun and finished it before most other people finished one game.

Fourth game was a Slav defense exchange variation. It was close all the way until the endgame where I threw away a rook and couldn't come back. I had a lot of pressure against his king, but I cracked under pressure and missed a fork.

They gave out free chess books at the end and there was free pizza as well. Was a lot of fun.
I found out that I'm a much better player when the games are more serious and I'm also miles better OTB than online, but I barely play online now so I dunno.

You should annotate your game and write a blog

Didn't record any of them

Reconstructing games from memory is good practice.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 131 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 238
Nina 130
ViBE79
SpeCial 75
Nathanias 46
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12211
Artosis 574
NaDa 30
Bale 13
Dota 2
monkeys_forever297
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox584
Mew2King93
Other Games
summit1g6682
Grubby2680
Liquid`RaSZi1931
shahzam673
WinterStarcraft442
C9.Mang0315
JimRising 276
Trikslyr28
JuggernautJason10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick182
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 83
• musti20045 27
• davetesta1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie760
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
10h 58m
INu's Battles
11h 58m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
13h 58m
OSC
23h 13m
Replay Cast
23h 58m
OSC
1d 23h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.