• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:27
CEST 22:27
KST 05:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8901 users

Teacher suspended for giving zeros

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 26 27 28 Next All
Tryndamere
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Canada145 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-02 19:43:03
June 02 2012 16:37 GMT
#1
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/canews-22424922/teacher-suspended-for-giving-zeros-29530108.html

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Edmonton teacher suspended giving students zeros/6713603/story.html

I 100% stand by the teacher's decision. If they don't do their work they deserve a zero. The school board just wants to push them through and build their self esteem? I mean comon, give me a fucken break. I can't believe education is the way it is right now, all politics and bureaucracy, producing incompetent kids who apparently have no realization of the consequences of their actions.

Just to clarify, the teacher was giving zeros to people who failed to hand in work. He was not giving zeros to incomplete work. Students were informed and given many chances to complete their work, but they did not until he showed a print out of their marks with zeros on it.

"The physics teacher with 35 years experience said he continued giving zeros when students failed to hand in assignments, instead of using behaviour codes such as “not completed,” which the school requires under its grading and reporting practice.

In Dorval’s physics and science classes, students who didn’t turn in assignments got a printout of their marks showing them how a zero would affect their overall grade. Most times, the strategy spurred students to complete the work, he said. “Once I give that printout, I get a flood of assignments.”

Dorval said he also gives students a handout at the beginning of each school year informing them of his marking practices.

“It says right on there that I still give zeros,” Dorval said. “It’s on that handout I give them at the start that it’s up to them to come to me to make arrangements (to finish the work). I stay after school three days a week and I’m usually in my room at lunch hour, and sometimes the kids have spares so I tell them, ‘You make arrangements with me to come in and make up the work.’ "


My right arm is much stronger than my left arm!
Ripebananaa
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada129 Posts
June 02 2012 16:39 GMT
#2
More teachers need to have the guts to give 0s. I used to see many people doing dickall in highschool, and still passed without deserving.
Deadlyhazard
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1177 Posts
June 02 2012 16:41 GMT
#3
Wtf? They were missing assignments, of course they're going to get a zero. I don't know why the teacher would be suspended. On another note, I hope that teacher moves to a new, brighter school and quits their current job.
Hark!
Thecheef
Profile Joined January 2012
United States7 Posts
June 02 2012 16:43 GMT
#4
that is so stupid the only reason the school supsended him is because they want better grades in the schools to get more tax money. School isn't about teaching anymore its about money.
I hate blacks
Pyskee
Profile Joined April 2011
United States620 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-02 16:45:51
June 02 2012 16:45 GMT
#5
It's kind of vague. Does "incomplete" mean only a few problems were done or none at all? I'm not arguing that our education system isn't ridiculously and overly lenient (there are definitely classes that even in college I probably deserved to fail, but didn't), but maybe this guy handed out zeros for kids that forgot about the assignment until lunch and did whatever problems they could. They deserve at least some credit for that.

On the other hand, if it was really the kid didn't do shitall during the year, then yeah, this is ridiculous.
"If you really don't give a shit what brand you chew, chew Stride." - Liquid'Tyler. Gives shoutouts like a boss.
nooboon
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2602 Posts
June 02 2012 16:46 GMT
#6
If i recall, there was something about teacher being unable to give students a failing grade. It was only recently that they repealled it and now teacher can fail students.

Regardless I stand by this teacher actions.
sereniity
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Sweden1159 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-04 10:40:18
June 02 2012 16:47 GMT
#7
As I go to school myself I find this a very interesting subject, a question I often bring up is "Are your grades a reflection of your knowledge/skill, or your work put into the class?"

Basically, I feel that even if my english is good enough for grade A, I cannot achieve it unless I come to almost every class and do every piece of homework, even if I get very high scores on my tests. Is this right or wrong?

In my own perfect world, a grade would reflect how a good a certain student is at said subject, not how much time dedicated into it. After all, when I'm looking for a job, my grades should show how good I am at said thing, not how nice I was in class. Just because I didn't come to every English class doesn't mean I wont come to work every day. I know a guy in my english class who is terrible at english, yet he's given grade C. The only reason for that is because he did his homework and was nice to the teacher.

Me on the other hand, had a grudge with the teacher (along with the rest of the class) and I've been having constant meetings with the principal to get ourselves a new teacher (she has a terrible attitude and constantly mocks us, has an aura of prestige as if we're crap and she's the best, yet she can't even spell the word boulder).

Anyway, back on topic, I'm getting an E this year because I basically haven't come to many of her lessons (I have about 60% attendance rate). I did however get a B on my final exams (called 'Nationella Proven' in Sweden).

Maybe this was abit off-topic, I got abit carried away :D...

EDIT: Just noticed that B is appearently something else in USA compared to Sweden (in Sweden, B is the new MVG, which was the highest grade possible in the previous grading system).

EDIT2: And before all Swedes jump me saying A is the MVG, A is MVG+ (which previously didn't give any points, but A does).
"I am Day9, Holy shit!"
brokenLoL
Profile Joined May 2012
United Kingdom419 Posts
June 02 2012 16:48 GMT
#8
I wrote an essay on how I want segregation by GPA in school. Got a zero on it for inappropate topic. I really do think teachers are too nice to high school kids. I was lucky not to be one of the typical dumbass high school kid so never cared all too much. But it did sometimes piss me off that they NEVER fail Ben though they fail tests and never does homework. During the graduation ceremony I was looking around thinking to myself how these brain dead faggots even passed class. I then remembered pretty much every non honors teacher offered extra credit, which is bullshit.
Save me from myself
Roachu
Profile Joined June 2011
Sweden692 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-02 16:56:43
June 02 2012 16:52 GMT
#9
I imagine Canada have clear course descriptions like we have in Sweden and here we fail the fucking course if we don't meet the requirements. In Sweden we have IG (Swedish: icke godkänd, rough translation: YOU DID NOT PASS) and if you don't pass your assignments and tests you don't pass the course. This is totally warranted and everything else is bullshit.

Edit: I'm going to university now where they are more strict overall but IMO the same attitude should show across the board. It might be a shock to some kids in high school but education is one of the most important things in they world and if they don't understand what a 0 means for them they will suffer for it in the future.
Don't be asshats
GreEny K
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany7312 Posts
June 02 2012 16:53 GMT
#10
I completely agree with the teacher, I hate that they were punished for being right.
Why would you ever choose failure, when success is an option.
Disengaged
Profile Joined July 2010
United States6994 Posts
June 02 2012 16:53 GMT
#11
The teacher had every right to give the students zeros for not doing the work.
Mysticesper
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1183 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-02 16:59:36
June 02 2012 16:59 GMT
#12
On June 03 2012 01:52 Roachu wrote:
I imagine Canada have clear course descriptions like we have in Sweden and here we fail the fucking course if we don't meet the requirements. In Sweden we have IG (Swedish: icke godkänd, rough translation: YOU DID NOT PASS) and if you don't pass your assignments and tests you don't pass the course. This is totally warranted and everything else is bullshit.

Edit: I'm going to university now where they are more strict overall but IMO the same attitude should show across the board. It might be a shock to some kids in high school but education is one of the most important things in they world and if they don't understand what a 0 means for them they will suffer for it in the future.


Every course has a syllabus which outlines course objectives and so forth, in almost every institution.

I was on the flip side of the issue last semester (TAing vs being a student). We had this one student clearly plagiarizing work with 100% certainity (she didn't pass), but she never had to go through the official university guidelines when dealing with plagiarism. It really is silly.
omgCRAZY
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada551 Posts
June 02 2012 16:59 GMT
#13
I am ashamed to say I live in Edmonton. Fucking pathetic... the people in command have no balls to make the right decisions and are scared of pressure from the public. Man up.
THIS NEEDS FACE!
shawster
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada2485 Posts
June 02 2012 17:00 GMT
#14
On June 03 2012 01:47 sereniity wrote:
As I go to school myself I find this a very interesting subject, a question I often bring up is "Are your grades a reflection of your knowledge/skill, or your work put into the class?"

Basically, I feel that even if my english is good enough for grade A, I cannot achieve it unless I come to almost every class and do every piece of homework, even if I get very high scores on my tests. Is this right or wrong?

In my own perfect world, a grade would reflect how a good a certain student is at said subject, not how much time dedicated into it. I know a guy in my english class who is terrible at english, yet he's given grade C. The only reason for that is because he did his homework and was nice to the teacher.

Me on the other hand, had a grudge with the teacher (along with the rest of the class) and I've been having constant meetings with the principal to get ourselves a new teacher (she has a terrible attitude and constantly mocks us, has an aura of prestige as if we're crap and she's the best, yet she can't even spell the word boulder).

Anyway, back on topic, I'm getting an E this year because I basically haven't come to many of her lessons (I have about 60% attendance rate). I did however get a B on my final exams (called 'Nationella Proven' in Sweden).

Maybe this was abit off-topic, I got abit carried away :D...


totally disagree with you

you're saying that intelligence should be your mark and effort should be less of it. come on now, how successful you are at a certain job is determined by your quality of work. i don't give a shit if you are extremely smart, if that average kid puts out a better product than you he's doing better than you.

if you're extremely knowledgeable you should be doing better than the average kid if you are putting out the same effort. it sounds like homework still accounts for a chunk of your mark and that is dragging you down. why don't you just.. iunno.. do it if it's that easy. everyone has to do monotonous tasks, that's the effort part of it.

nennx
Profile Joined April 2010
United States310 Posts
June 02 2012 17:01 GMT
#15
On June 03 2012 01:47 sereniity wrote:
As I go to school myself I find this a very interesting subject, a question I often bring up is "Are your grades a reflection of your knowledge/skill, or your work put into the class?"

Basically, I feel that even if my english is good enough for grade A, I cannot achieve it unless I come to almost every class and do every piece of homework, even if I get very high scores on my tests. Is this right or wrong?



I think its reasonable to expect to not get an A if you don't do homework and do well on tests. What other way is there to measure your proficiency in the subject, if not for tests/homework/etc?

I will agree that many teachers (especially in lower level classes / high school) put too much weight in homeworks, but at the same time you shouldn't be getting an A if you don't do them at all.
Sup
Ryndika
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1489 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-02 17:03:30
June 02 2012 17:02 GMT
#16
On June 03 2012 01:47 sereniity wrote:
As I go to school myself I find this a very interesting subject, a question I often bring up is "Are your grades a reflection of your knowledge/skill, or your work put into the class?"

Basically, I feel that even if my english is good enough for grade A, I cannot achieve it unless I come to almost every class and do every piece of homework, even if I get very high scores on my tests. Is this right or wrong?

In my own perfect world, a grade would reflect how a good a certain student is at said subject, not how much time dedicated into it. After all, when I'm looking for a job, my grades should show how good I am at said thing, not how nice I was in class. Just because I didn't come to every English class doesn't mean I wont come to work every day. I know a guy in my english class who is terrible at english, yet he's given grade C. The only reason for that is because he did his homework and was nice to the teacher.

Me on the other hand, had a grudge with the teacher (along with the rest of the class) and I've been having constant meetings with the principal to get ourselves a new teacher (she has a terrible attitude and constantly mocks us, has an aura of prestige as if we're crap and she's the best, yet she can't even spell the word boulder).

Anyway, back on topic, I'm getting an E this year because I basically haven't come to many of her lessons (I have about 60% attendance rate). I did however get a B on my final exams (called 'Nationella Proven' in Sweden).

Maybe this was abit off-topic, I got abit carried away :D...

I learned this hard way when I was like 10 years old. After that I've done 10grade worth things only on those things that I can be arsed to do. Other stuff I just put minimal effort or cheat. I've become really bitter with how school works.

Also having ADD makes school even more boring. Not like it's anyone elses fault tho.
as useful as teasalt
McDrizzle
Profile Joined September 2011
United States131 Posts
June 02 2012 17:02 GMT
#17
Odd my 6th grade teacher used to give 0's to students for not paying attention. He never got fired but he was a good a teacher. Self-esteem is just self-evaluation of how you did your work and they should feel bad if they deserve a zero. Oh well they should fight that but its up to them...
wait what
PrimeTimey
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada369 Posts
June 02 2012 17:04 GMT
#18
The school system in Canada has become very wishy-washy over the past five years or so. Both of my parents have been teachers for around 30+ years. The entire education system has become a complete joke that my parents are both pretty sick and tired of it. Students have unlimited amount of time to hand in assignments from when they are assigned to the end of the term. This rule by the school board essentially is telling teachers not to set deadlines on their projects because students have whatever freedom they want.

My mother has wanted to fail many students in recent years, but, holding kids back without the parents permission is basically impossible so every kid basically gets a free ride through elementary and junior high. (You can fail high school).

All this is doing is setting up our society to be completely lazy, have no accountability, and letting kids do whatever they want. Never mind the fact after high school when they enter the real world for work, or go to University/College they get completely screwed over because they have no idea how hard it is to actually WORK. Just look at how many first year University/College kids drop out.. they flunk because they thought it would once again be an easy free ride.
Roachu
Profile Joined June 2011
Sweden692 Posts
June 02 2012 17:05 GMT
#19
On June 03 2012 01:47 sereniity wrote:
As I go to school myself I find this a very interesting subject, a question I often bring up is "Are your grades a reflection of your knowledge/skill, or your work put into the class?"

Basically, I feel that even if my english is good enough for grade A, I cannot achieve it unless I come to almost every class and do every piece of homework, even if I get very high scores on my tests. Is this right or wrong?

In my own perfect world, a grade would reflect how a good a certain student is at said subject, not how much time dedicated into it. After all, when I'm looking for a job, my grades should show how good I am at said thing, not how nice I was in class. Just because I didn't come to every English class doesn't mean I wont come to work every day. I know a guy in my english class who is terrible at english, yet he's given grade C. The only reason for that is because he did his homework and was nice to the teacher.

Me on the other hand, had a grudge with the teacher (along with the rest of the class) and I've been having constant meetings with the principal to get ourselves a new teacher (she has a terrible attitude and constantly mocks us, has an aura of prestige as if we're crap and she's the best, yet she can't even spell the word boulder).

Anyway, back on topic, I'm getting an E this year because I basically haven't come to many of her lessons (I have about 60% attendance rate). I did however get a B on my final exams (called 'Nationella Proven' in Sweden).

Maybe this was abit off-topic, I got abit carried away :D...

That's a bit of a dicey question I think, since your grades should be a reflection of your knowledge, or maybe rather acquired knowledge. On the other hand how is anyone supposed to know if you're not there? My experience is a lot of courses are poorly structured as they require a lot of attendance in order to pass while the literature might be most of what you need to learn. In university courses attendance doesn't mean shit unless there are mandatory introduction lectures or seminars, but the your score on the exams are what counts. In high school thought most of what counts to your grade is done during classes together with exam results. Though in my experience nobody who skips out on a lot of classes aren't going to post a good result on exams or assignments.
Don't be asshats
Cirqueenflex
Profile Joined October 2010
499 Posts
June 02 2012 17:06 GMT
#20
On June 03 2012 01:47 sereniity wrote:
As I go to school myself I find this a very interesting subject, a question I often bring up is "Are your grades a reflection of your knowledge/skill, or your work put into the class?"


back in the days when i was in school, i often felt like it was mostly a reflection of boobs
Give a man a fire, you keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
1 2 3 4 5 26 27 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O101
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason96
Railgan 55
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16425
Dewaltoss 147
ggaemo 135
Hyuk 124
ZZZero.O 101
firebathero 100
Mini 98
Terrorterran 23
Dota 2
febbydoto43
League of Legends
Doublelift2527
Counter-Strike
Fnx 990
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5480
crisheroes971
Other Games
summit1g5275
FrodaN2646
fl0m943
Beastyqt883
mouzStarbuck528
KnowMe321
ArmadaUGS130
Mew2King58
ToD5
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1209
BasetradeTV181
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream57
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 95
• Adnapsc2 20
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 56
• 80smullet 22
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 10887
Other Games
• imaqtpie929
• Shiphtur245
• tFFMrPink 16
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 33m
INu's Battles
15h 33m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
18h 33m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 33m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 33m
Replay Cast
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 13h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.