• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:47
CEST 01:47
KST 08:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War685.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
ESL Pro Tour for SC2 discontinued [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch)
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13174 users

A Simple Math Problem? - Page 82

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 80 81 82 83 84 98 Next
Pigsquirrel
Profile Joined August 2009
United States615 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-08 19:05:25
April 08 2011 19:05 GMT
#1621
At first, I thought this would be an interesting social experiment. But it's just a flame war.
This thread needs to die. This is b.net forum brain-dead stupidity, not TL.
SharkSpider
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada606 Posts
April 08 2011 19:07 GMT
#1622
On April 09 2011 04:05 Pigsquirrel wrote:
At first, I thought this would be an interesting social experiment. But it's just a flame war.
This thread needs to die. This is b.net forum brain-dead stupidity, not TL.

Social experiment succeeded. Mankind, on the other hand, failed pretty hard.
mpupu
Profile Joined June 2010
Argentina183 Posts
April 08 2011 19:09 GMT
#1623
On April 09 2011 04:03 Ace wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2011 03:58 shadowy wrote:
On April 09 2011 03:24 Severedevil wrote:

Instead, it's a clash between people who're aware of differing conventions for implicit multiplication versus explicit multiplication, and people who aren't + refuse to learn.

Thank you - so, well said.


Just for the sake of arguing - some basic algebra: [b]48 / 2(9+3) = 48 / (2*9 + 2 *3) = 2
Did I do this wrong? And if not, how it's my interpretation any different than yours (for those keep repeating it's 288).

There is no right or wrong answer here - just BADLY, POORLY, WRONGLY written equation, which can not give correct output, since the input is wrong.

Duhhhh!


why are you distributing 2 to (9+3)? These aren't variables these are constants.


The distributive property can be applied to both variables and constants, so you're missing the point.
At risk of reiterating what's already been said, the key factor here is the precedence assigned to multiplication.

shadowy
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Bulgaria305 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-08 19:13:23
April 08 2011 19:11 GMT
#1624
On April 09 2011 04:03 Ace wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2011 03:58 shadowy wrote:
On April 09 2011 03:24 Severedevil wrote:

Instead, it's a clash between people who're aware of differing conventions for implicit multiplication versus explicit multiplication, and people who aren't + refuse to learn.

Thank you - so, well said.


Just for the sake of arguing - some basic algebra: [b]48 / 2(9+3) = 48 / (2*9 + 2 *3) = 2
Did I do this wrong? And if not, how it's my interpretation any different than yours (for those keep repeating it's 288).

There is no right or wrong answer here - just BADLY, POORLY, WRONGLY written equation, which can not give correct output, since the input is wrong.

Duhhhh!


why are you distributing 2 to (9+3)? These aren't variables these are constants.


Edit: Read post above me. Also, because of implied multiplication.
[Fear the leather Gracket!] // ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ // Liquid'Hero hwaiting!
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-08 19:17:34
April 08 2011 19:14 GMT
#1625
Even if there is implied multiplication - you can't distribute the 2 because you have to do whats inside parenthesis first.

Pretty simple math here.

to the below: No you are not getting rid of the parenthesis. PEMDAS doesn't mean "do whats closest to parenthesis" first. It means do whats INSIDE parenthesis first. Thats why the answer is not 2 if you are using PEMDAS.
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
ztoa03
Profile Joined April 2010
Philippines181 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-08 19:23:03
April 08 2011 19:14 GMT
#1626
On April 08 2011 18:27 Kentor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2011 11:57 -{Cake}- wrote:
http://math.berkeley.edu/~wu/order5.pdf

^interesting

just sayin

requoting this. in other words this math problem is retarded and has no real life consequences.


I requote this too.
Maybe I was wrong.
Maybe not.

I answered 2 because of PEMDAS. You have to get rid of the parenthesis first right? Also, doing it the way I read it from the above document.

given:
48÷2(9+3)=x
required: x=?
solution:
x = 48÷2(9+3)
x = 48÷2(12)
x = 48÷24
x = 2


Edit:
You can also "distribute" the 2. (Which in my opinion is a correct move to get closer to the solution.)

Eventhough I'm slow at math, I try to solve it on my own. Please don't use calculators.
Gogogo! TL FTW!
chonkyfire
Profile Joined December 2010
United States451 Posts
April 08 2011 19:16 GMT
#1627
On April 09 2011 04:14 Ace wrote:
Even if there is implied multiplication - you can't distribute the 2 because you have to do whats inside parenthesis first.

Pretty simple math here.



how is distributing not doing the parenthesis?

2(9+3) = 24
(2*9+2*3) = 24
Just when I thought that I saw I ghost, I realized that it was the endo smoke
corpuscle
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States1967 Posts
April 08 2011 19:17 GMT
#1628
I answered 2 and then I felt really dumb
From the void I am born into wave and particle
Severedevil
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4839 Posts
April 08 2011 19:18 GMT
#1629
On April 09 2011 03:58 levelnoobz wrote:
BTW I really don't see the point of those 81 pages appart from proving that if you write maths like this nobody will understand you.

Some folks in this thread think that if you write maths in this incompetent way, everyone should understand you. Hence the thread hinges on a value judgement, and value judgements can and usually are debated without limit.

On April 09 2011 04:07 SharkSpider wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2011 04:05 Pigsquirrel wrote:
At first, I thought this would be an interesting social experiment. But it's just a flame war.
This thread needs to die. This is b.net forum brain-dead stupidity, not TL.

Social experiment succeeded. Mankind, on the other hand, failed pretty hard.

Social experiments usually end that way >_<

I think half the point of social experiments is to point out how fucked up peoples' reactions can be.
My strategy is to fork people.
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
April 08 2011 19:20 GMT
#1630
On April 09 2011 04:16 chonkyfire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2011 04:14 Ace wrote:
Even if there is implied multiplication - you can't distribute the 2 because you have to do whats inside parenthesis first.

Pretty simple math here.



how is distributing not doing the parenthesis?

2(9+3) = 24
(2*9+2*3) = 24


because there is an expression on the left of it. If it was just what you wrote then sure it works because there is nothing else there. However you have 48 ÷ sitting to the left of it. PEMDAS/Order of Operations tells you that you have to go left to right when dealing with equal precedence.

Even if you wanted to distribute this is what you'd get:

48 ÷ 2(9+3)
24(9+3)
216 + 72
288



Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
Hikko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1126 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-08 19:21:11
April 08 2011 19:20 GMT
#1631
Relevant (Graphing Calculator)

[image loading]
♥
mpupu
Profile Joined June 2010
Argentina183 Posts
April 08 2011 19:22 GMT
#1632
On April 09 2011 04:14 Ace wrote:
Even if there is implied multiplication - you can't distribute the 2 because you have to do whats inside parenthesis first.


No, you don't. It's perfectly valid to apply certain properties before evaluation an expression.

I wish people would stop quoting the whole PEMDAS thing. That's an elementary school guideline intended for beginners, not the end-all be-all of mathematics. I'm not saying it's wrong, but there are other ways of doing things and if that's the only thing you know, chances are you don't have a lot of real exposure to the subject.
chonkyfire
Profile Joined December 2010
United States451 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-08 19:24:12
April 08 2011 19:23 GMT
#1633
On April 09 2011 04:20 Ace wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2011 04:16 chonkyfire wrote:
On April 09 2011 04:14 Ace wrote:
Even if there is implied multiplication - you can't distribute the 2 because you have to do whats inside parenthesis first.

Pretty simple math here.



how is distributing not doing the parenthesis?

2(9+3) = 24
(2*9+2*3) = 24


because there is an expression on the left of it. If it was just what you wrote then sure it works because there is nothing else there. However you have 48 ÷ sitting to the left of it. PEMDAS/Order of Operations tells you that you have to go left to right when dealing with equal precedence.

Even if you wanted to distribute this is what you'd get:

48 ÷ 2(9+3)
24(9+3)
216 + 72
288






No now you're not doing the brackets first. If you distribute you do that brackets first. If you did the brackets first you get

48/24
Just when I thought that I saw I ghost, I realized that it was the endo smoke
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
April 08 2011 19:24 GMT
#1634
Poll: 2(9+3)^3

3456 (24)
 
86%

13824 (4)
 
14%

28 total votes

Your vote: 2(9+3)^3

(Vote): 13824
(Vote): 3456

Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-08 19:26:47
April 08 2011 19:24 GMT
#1635
I just showed you that the answer is still 288 even if you do distribute. I've got a lot of math exposure since you know I have to take a lot of them for my major. But keep assuming that everyone that disagrees with you is "less qualified". PEMDAS isn't just for beginners - it's there for everyone as a standard guideline for dealing with just this kind of thing. Stop making excuses and trolling the thread.

On April 09 2011 04:23 chonkyfire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2011 04:20 Ace wrote:
On April 09 2011 04:16 chonkyfire wrote:
On April 09 2011 04:14 Ace wrote:
Even if there is implied multiplication - you can't distribute the 2 because you have to do whats inside parenthesis first.

Pretty simple math here.



how is distributing not doing the parenthesis?

2(9+3) = 24
(2*9+2*3) = 24


because there is an expression on the left of it. If it was just what you wrote then sure it works because there is nothing else there. However you have 48 ÷ sitting to the left of it. PEMDAS/Order of Operations tells you that you have to go left to right when dealing with equal precedence.

Even if you wanted to distribute this is what you'd get:

48 ÷ 2(9+3)
24(9+3)
216 + 72
288






No now you're not doing the brackets first. If you distribute you do that brackets first. If you did the brackets first you get

48/24


For the last time, brackets first does not mean multiply whatever is near the brackets before division. Brackets first means do whats inside of it first. No matter which way you do it - 288 is the answer. You just don't understand the actual rules of operation here. I'm done dealing with the trolling though, have fun.
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
buhhy
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1113 Posts
April 08 2011 19:27 GMT
#1636
On April 09 2011 04:24 floor exercise wrote:
Poll: 2(9+3)^3

3456 (24)
 
86%

13824 (4)
 
14%

28 total votes

Your vote: 2(9+3)^3

(Vote): 13824
(Vote): 3456



...

Exponents bind tighter than association.

2x^2x = 2(x^2) not (2x)^2
chonkyfire
Profile Joined December 2010
United States451 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-08 19:27:53
April 08 2011 19:27 GMT
#1637
On April 09 2011 04:24 Ace wrote:


For the last time, brackets first does not mean multiply whatever is near the brackets before division. Brackets first means do whats inside of it first. No matter which way you do it - 288 is the answer. You just don't understand the actual rules of operation here. I'm done dealing with the trolling though, have fun.



I need some proof that the 2 doesn't belong to (9+3) then I'll believe you. I came into this thread 100% sure it was 288, but i'm 99% sure that's not right now
Just when I thought that I saw I ghost, I realized that it was the endo smoke
Perscienter
Profile Joined June 2010
957 Posts
April 08 2011 19:29 GMT
#1638
I suppose grammar is just for beginners, too. The internet elite apparently doesn't need it.

How do you call these laws in English? Distributive law, associative law and commutative law?
mpupu
Profile Joined June 2010
Argentina183 Posts
April 08 2011 19:31 GMT
#1639
On April 09 2011 04:24 Ace wrote:
I just showed you that the answer is still 288 even if you do distribute. I've got a lot of math exposure since you know I have to take a lot of them for my major. But keep assuming that everyone that disagrees with you is "less qualified". PEMDAS isn't just for beginners - it's there for everyone as a standard guideline for dealing with just this kind of thing. Stop making excuses and trolling the thread.


Don't take it personally. I'm not trolling anyone and I never said you were "less qualified" or anything like that. But if the only guideline you know is PEMDAS, you're missing the big picture. And saying you can't apply the distributive property is certainly wrong, that's 100% fact.

I'll give you an analogy: let's say you know how the common SOH-CAH-TOA applies to trigonometric functions. Would you dispute it if I told you that sine is a trascendental function defined in terms of infinite series? After all, it's just a relation between the lengths of different sides of a triangle, right?
VisuaL.
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada22 Posts
April 08 2011 19:32 GMT
#1640
I'm currently in school to be a chemist and i took a math course in fall.

I got 288

and

1/(2*x)

was pretty easy and don't see how it can be 2 :s
Pure as we begin, move by will alone.
Prev 1 80 81 82 83 84 98 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
The QMC Showmatch 1
CranKy Ducklings63
OSC
08:00
Masters Cup #151: Group A
davetesta19
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 9056
Artosis 681
GuemChi 395
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm205
monkeys_forever31
League of Legends
Doublelift5796
JimRising 415
Counter-Strike
minikerr0
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe65
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3993
Other Games
FrodaN2264
Liquid`RaSZi1780
C9.Mang0417
Livibee374
Maynarde161
Mew2King41
ArmadaUGS25
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1180
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 128
• Sammyuel 31
• musti20045 25
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1445
• Scarra1227
• Shiphtur649
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 14m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.