• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:46
CEST 17:46
KST 00:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War535.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7980 users

Starcraft and Poker - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Naib
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Hungary4952 Posts
September 05 2010 22:45 GMT
#21
I'm mediocre at both, so there's definitely correlation!
Complete the cycle!
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24805 Posts
September 05 2010 22:45 GMT
#22
Yeah I've always found the connection to be interesting.

BTW I'm going to move this to general I guess... SC2 doesn't seem like the right place to me.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Chronocide
Profile Joined August 2007
United States126 Posts
September 05 2010 22:49 GMT
#23
The main problem in poker is vitality. I can log on to a poker site and play a single SnG and have a very, very good chance of placing in the money if not finishing first. However I can't play game after game after game and still have a good chance of winning. I lose my concentration, I get tired of the prize, and I get tilted by losing. The same is true for me in starcraft. I can't play a ton of games without running out of steam, and I get very frustrated by losses (especially after investing half an hour of intense play).

Compared to progamers, who can play their best for 14 hours a day without burning out. That kind of vitality is not a small part of poker.
"I quickly scanned the area, and saw no observers, so I locked-down as many scouts as I could with my Ghosts, and ordered one to nuke them" -mrxak
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 05 2010 22:53 GMT
#24
On August 14 2010 17:38 virgozero wrote:
because both starcraft and poker requires a high level of intellect and experience. very decision-heavy activities with neither emphasizing on skill or any other physical demands.

there is really no "special" connection if thats what your wondering about.

Its as connected as basketball is to soccer both requires skill and teamwork with little emphasis on intelligence.


A little off topic here - but if you're of the opinion that basketball doesn't require intelligence and decision making, you need to play more sports. Given the same amount of practice, a more intelligent person is probably going to be better at basketball.
Golden Ghost
Profile Joined February 2003
Netherlands1041 Posts
September 05 2010 22:54 GMT
#25
There are a lot of BW players that made a successful transition towards poker.
If you want to know more about the why and how I would suggest going to http://www.liquidpoker.net/. A lot of the players that made the transition hang out there.
Life is to give and take. You take a vacation and you give to the poor.
eLiE
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1039 Posts
September 05 2010 22:57 GMT
#26
the relation is that they're both games. people try to be successful and make money at one game, and then jump to the next game. plus, people who play rts' well are sometimes pretty smart people (i won't stereotype), so they'd excel at poker anyways.
How's the weather down there?
nucky
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada43 Posts
September 05 2010 22:59 GMT
#27
On September 06 2010 07:49 Chronocide wrote:
The main problem in poker is vitality. I can log on to a poker site and play a single SnG and have a very, very good chance of placing in the money if not finishing first. However I can't play game after game after game and still have a good chance of winning. I lose my concentration, I get tired of the prize, and I get tilted by losing. The same is true for me in starcraft. I can't play a ton of games without running out of steam, and I get very frustrated by losses (especially after investing half an hour of intense play).

Compared to progamers, who can play their best for 14 hours a day without burning out. That kind of vitality is not a small part of poker.


That's why you have to study yourself.

How many tables is more profitable?

What limit is the most suitable for you?

How Long Can you hold a positive winrate ? $ / Hours


stroggos
Profile Joined February 2009
New Zealand1543 Posts
September 05 2010 23:02 GMT
#28
basically there are two reasons that starcraft and poker have a connection

Elky switched over to poker and became a millionaire...so his fans tried poker as well.

starcraft requires you to not be retarded. Poker also requires this. So a lot of non retarded people switched over and had success with it....which in turn made more people switch over after seeing even more success.
hi
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44372 Posts
September 05 2010 23:03 GMT
#29
It's a strategy game of limited information, estimating ranges and reading your opponents intent.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
iamho
Profile Joined June 2009
United States3347 Posts
September 05 2010 23:06 GMT
#30
stroggos is right, the main connection between starcraft and poker is that all the top foreign sc players are friends with each other and encourage each other to do it. there are plenty of games that are more similar to poker than starcraft.
nucky
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada43 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-05 23:21:02
September 05 2010 23:10 GMT
#31
On September 06 2010 08:02 stroggos wrote:
Elky switched over to poker and became a millionaire...so his fans tried poker as well.



ahahah

My path was parallel.

I never knew about Elky until today when I clicked on Bertrand "Elky" Grospellier's profile in my PokerStars account.

And I had once asked to myself the same question when I saw a South Korean sponsored by Full Tilt Poker playing online.

heres one :

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/eunjong-byun

Heres another :

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/somyung-sim

THAT's just insane... Lets go make some bread my friends.
TuElite
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2123 Posts
September 05 2010 23:10 GMT
#32
On September 06 2010 07:33 nucky wrote:
i'm doing FINE with Poker ! I will play for a living soon, I'm convinced.

I've also noticed a link between Poker, Starcraft and Students doing an Economic / Finance Degree.

I'm doing all the 3 !

Heres my graff for NL30 and NL50 , only 7k hands played, but its a start.

http://img835.imageshack.us/f/graff.jpg/

[image loading]


I think we are gifted people mentally strong enough to achieve great goals.

No doubt there's a link.


This is the perfect example of what not to be and how not to think... If you have the slightest though of going pro after only 7k hands you will be in a word of shock and will want to kill yourself when you'll hit your first 50 Buy-ins Under EV month....

DO NOT even consider that possibility before AT THE VERY LEAST 200k+ hands...
You shouldn't even tell yourself that you are a "winning player" before at the very least 100-150k hands played at your stakes.

Google "Poker variance simulator" and you'll see how HUGE the variance truly his. A "losing player" that loses at the rate of -2 bb/100 can still be a winner over a sample of 1 Million hands.... Just due to variance. This is exceptionally rare of course, the example I gave his dramatic on purpose but you get the deal.
Always Smile - Jung Nicole - Follow Nicole on Twitter @_911007 and me @TuElite
nucky
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada43 Posts
September 05 2010 23:13 GMT
#33
Stop being so negative i just showed a 3 days session. ROFL.

TuElite
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2123 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-05 23:18:38
September 05 2010 23:15 GMT
#34
Nucky,

I'm not bashing you. I'm just stating this for everyone interested in poker to know. Understanding this variance is very very very crucial. I hope you understand and don't take it personal.

Edit: By the way, the simple fact that you posted a 7k hands or one session graph would get you labelled as a fish by anyone knowledgeable in poker. It's just nothing, it doesn't mean anything, so why look at it? Why post it?
Always Smile - Jung Nicole - Follow Nicole on Twitter @_911007 and me @TuElite
hoborg
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States430 Posts
September 05 2010 23:15 GMT
#35
On September 06 2010 07:54 Golden Ghost wrote:
There are a lot of BW players that made a successful transition towards poker.
If you want to know more about the why and how I would suggest going to http://www.liquidpoker.net/. A lot of the players that made the transition hang out there.


I lurk there sometimes to try to learn things about poker. I can only tell what they're talking about like 10% of the time, it's like they speak a foreign language.

I started using pokerstrategy.com after watching the TSL2, but they don't let people from the US see anything beyond the basic-level articles. It's done me well for playing .02nl and dollar sit-and-gos. I'll probably have to actually learn something when I go up in limits, though...
blbl | CJ and ACE fighting!
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
September 05 2010 23:16 GMT
#36
On September 06 2010 08:10 nucky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 06 2010 08:02 stroggos wrote:
Elky switched over to poker and became a millionaire...so his fans tried poker as well.



ahahah

My path was parallel.

I never knew about Elky until today when I clicked on Robert "Elky" Grospellier's profile in my PokerStars account.

And I had once asked to myself the same question when I saw a South Korean sponsored by Full Tilt Poker playing online.

heres one :

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/eunjong-byun

Heres another :

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/somyung-sim

THAT's just insane... Lets go make some bread my friends.


It's Bertrand, not Robert
ॐ
nucky
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada43 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-05 23:22:45
September 05 2010 23:18 GMT
#37
I was not here to argue about this anyway, I put a the Graph to show the close link between finance , Starcraft and poker.


I Played over 100k Hands. but lets keep this thread simple and forget the detail

[/QUOTE]

It's Bertrand, not Robert [/QUOTE]


ahahah , sorry
Darpa
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada4413 Posts
September 05 2010 23:22 GMT
#38
On September 06 2010 07:33 nucky wrote:
I just registered for THIS thread.

correlation between Starcraft and Poker is HUGE.

You won't become a better poker player by playing SC, but i noticed that every SC player with decent skills were doing well in Poker! And Why? That's pretty simple, to be successful at Starcraft mean to be disciplined and always focused! Trying to find the leaks to crush your opponent. I think it would be relevant to see the brain activity of a Progamer while playing Poker and SC. I'm sure the solicited parts are pretty much the same area.

I'm a good SC player , C on iccup(after a huge 5 years break). was Diamond in Sc2 Beta, and i'm doing FINE with Poker ! I will play for a living soon, I'm convinced.

I've also noticed a link between Poker, Starcraft and Students doing an Economic / Finance Degree.

I'm doing all the 3 !

Heres my graff for NL30 and NL50 , only 7k hands played, but its a start.

http://img835.imageshack.us/f/graff.jpg/

[image loading]


I think we are gifted people mentally strong enough to achieve great goals.

No doubt there's a link.



So I have an economics degree, play diamond in SC2, and was C- on ICCUP, so you think I should take up poker? franky while, I know the rules and have played a handfull of times, I dont see myself being good it. Is there a good place to learn the basics and get a feel for Online poker before you get owned on the low bet tables? lol
"losers always whine about their best, Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"
TuElite
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2123 Posts
September 05 2010 23:28 GMT
#39
Too bad Rekrul never started his poker training site aimed at gamers.

Could have made a lot of money off of that.
Always Smile - Jung Nicole - Follow Nicole on Twitter @_911007 and me @TuElite
nucky
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada43 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-05 23:29:47
September 05 2010 23:28 GMT
#40
On September 06 2010 08:22 Darpa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 06 2010 07:33 nucky wrote:
I just registered for THIS thread.

correlation between Starcraft and Poker is HUGE.

You won't become a better poker player by playing SC, but i noticed that every SC player with decent skills were doing well in Poker! And Why? That's pretty simple, to be successful at Starcraft mean to be disciplined and always focused! Trying to find the leaks to crush your opponent. I think it would be relevant to see the brain activity of a Progamer while playing Poker and SC. I'm sure the solicited parts are pretty much the same area.

I'm a good SC player , C on iccup(after a huge 5 years break). was Diamond in Sc2 Beta, and i'm doing FINE with Poker ! I will play for a living soon, I'm convinced.

I've also noticed a link between Poker, Starcraft and Students doing an Economic / Finance Degree.

I'm doing all the 3 !

Heres my graff for NL30 and NL50 , only 7k hands played, but its a start.

http://img835.imageshack.us/f/graff.jpg/

[image loading]


I think we are gifted people mentally strong enough to achieve great goals.

No doubt there's a link.



So I have an economics degree, play diamond in SC2, and was C- on ICCUP, so you think I should take up poker? franky while, I know the rules and have played a handfull of times, I dont see myself being good it. Is there a good place to learn the basics and get a feel for Online poker before you get owned on the low bet tables? lol


Obviously, you will learn the game faster than any other random player.

There's people who never improve you know. The process can be long, but I think that if you dedicate as much time and energy learning poker than you did with SC, you will become a Winning player without a doubt. Just apply some law, odds, be consistent and you win in the long run.
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
CranKy Ducklings180
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 248
ProTech145
Rex 103
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40068
Free 1536
Horang2 319
firebathero 245
Zeus 139
Trap 137
Hyun 70
Last 62
ToSsGirL 45
soO 40
[ Show more ]
Yoon 38
Aegong 21
Rock 20
Bishop 16
Noble 16
scan(afreeca) 16
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8178
Dendi859
XaKoH 422
420jenkins194
Counter-Strike
fl0m4183
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko443
Other Games
singsing2137
Beastyqt649
Mlord361
byalli279
mouzStarbuck230
KnowMe209
Hui .182
DeMusliM152
QueenE92
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 35
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP31
• Adnapsc2 7
• Dystopia_ 3
• Response 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix15
• Michael_bg 10
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1618
Other Games
• Shiphtur451
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
1h 15m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3h 15m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 15m
Patches Events
23h 15m
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
OSC
1d 7h
OSC
1d 20h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.