• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:41
CEST 20:41
KST 03:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12911 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 15

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 140 Next
hype[NZ]
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Japan412 Posts
August 08 2011 03:19 GMT
#281
2.Nf3
+ Show Spoiler +
Remember that this is a correspondence game, so while playing the King's Gambit may seem like a great idea to some of you now, we are basically giving black equality as I don't think that our presence in the centre would make up for our material deficit and open kingside. I think it may be fun for 10 moves or so, but it won't be so fun when we end up fighting for a draw after 15 moves or w/e. Also iirc Ng5 plays the king's gambit a lot in his blitz games, so he probably has more experience with it than all of us combined.

Hence I prefer to play the more standard move 2.Nf3, where we can enter a Ruy Lopez or something similar with the initiative, and maintain that through into the midgame. This will give us good winning chances as long as we don't slip up. Other moves such as Bc4 and Nc3 should be considered as well, but I think that Bc4 commits too much too early. Nc3 could allow a kind of delayed king's gambit, or a more passive game where we fianchetto the bishop by playing g3 Bg2, which may be interesting, however the current voting seems torn between 2.Nf3 and 2.f4, so I voted for which one of those I preferred. Ironically I moved to 1.d4 to avoid symmetrical king pawn openings haha.

These are basically my thoughts at the moment, I'll probably try and type up something like this for each move I make just so I can remember what I was thinking at the time, and I'd encourage you guys to do the same.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
August 08 2011 03:53 GMT
#282
Votes


Nf3: 16 (Cloud9157, Ikari, Raysalis, Soluhwin, Bengui, XXGeneration, Varpulis, enigmaticcam, JeanBob, chesshaha, bobq, stormtemplar|, Mumu, NoobieOne, goldrush, GolemMadness, hype[NZ])
f4: 13 (Blazinghand, Malinor, qrs, PtM, Bourne, jdseemoreglass, Rybka, gogogadgetflow, Jumbled, imBLIND, mastergriggy, enigmaticcam, durza)
Nc3: 1 (Epithet)

[image loading]
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
BaronFel
Profile Joined July 2009
United States155 Posts
August 08 2011 03:56 GMT
#283
2. d4

+ Show Spoiler +
Look up the Halloween Gambit and tell me you don't wanna play that amirite?
wuBu
Profile Joined February 2011
United States83 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 04:05:23
August 08 2011 04:05 GMT
#284
2. Nf3

+ Show Spoiler +
Most standard reply in my opinion. Develops a piece, puts pressure on the center, and prepares castling. I almost automatically play this move since I'm not too familiar with the King's Gambit.
"It's the way that I'm living that makes me who I am. It's the things I do that you wouldn't understand."
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
August 08 2011 04:14 GMT
#285
On August 08 2011 12:56 BaronFel wrote:
2. d4

+ Show Spoiler +
Look up the Halloween Gambit and tell me you don't wanna play that amirite?
The gambit you mention does not start with the move you give.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Z3kk
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4099 Posts
August 08 2011 04:19 GMT
#286
I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to post here, I just had a few questions ><

Is it the community vs Ng5? Also, what if the move for which there are the most votes turns out to be a suboptimal move? I'm sure there is a distribution of skill levels here, but what if a player sees something and tries to convince everyone else, but fails to do so and a worse move prevails? :o
Failure is not falling down over and over again. Failure is refusing to get back up.
Sc1pio
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States823 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 04:22:00
August 08 2011 04:20 GMT
#287
2. Nf3

+ Show Spoiler +
I'm not signed up (if it's possible could you? T_T), but Nf3 is the standard move here.
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's there are few. " -Shunro Suzuki | fortuna fortes adiuvat
Comeh
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States18919 Posts
August 08 2011 04:24 GMT
#288
2. Nf3
ヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノDELETE ICEFROGヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(
hype[NZ]
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Japan412 Posts
August 08 2011 04:26 GMT
#289
On August 08 2011 13:19 Z3kk wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to post here, I just had a few questions ><

Is it the community vs Ng5? Also, what if the move for which there are the most votes turns out to be a suboptimal move? I'm sure there is a distribution of skill levels here, but what if a player sees something and tries to convince everyone else, but fails to do so and a worse move prevails? :o


Yeah it is us vs Ng5. That's why we are voting on the move that we make, whereas he can just make his move. If the worse move prevails then we will end up playing the worse move and just have to live with it lol.
Z3kk
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4099 Posts
August 08 2011 04:36 GMT
#290
On August 08 2011 13:26 hype[NZ] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 13:19 Z3kk wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to post here, I just had a few questions ><

Is it the community vs Ng5? Also, what if the move for which there are the most votes turns out to be a suboptimal move? I'm sure there is a distribution of skill levels here, but what if a player sees something and tries to convince everyone else, but fails to do so and a worse move prevails? :o


Yeah it is us vs Ng5. That's why we are voting on the move that we make, whereas he can just make his move. If the worse move prevails then we will end up playing the worse move and just have to live with it lol.


Ah, okay

I hope you guys do well! Is there anyone at/around his skill level here?
Failure is not falling down over and over again. Failure is refusing to get back up.
noclaninator
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada19 Posts
August 08 2011 04:38 GMT
#291
I'm going to have to vote f4 being a fan of the king's gambit
My country is the world and my religion is to do good.
GreatestThreat
Profile Joined May 2010
United States631 Posts
August 08 2011 04:54 GMT
#292
Nf3

+ Show Spoiler +
It was my vote for first move, it still stands having seen black's opener. Knights are Quality.
"I'm ethereal! My children are legion, serial! They stick to my skin like beloved cysts... I TEAR AWAY WITH MY NAILS AND TEETH AND FISTS!"
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
August 08 2011 06:16 GMT
#293
2. Nf3

+ Show Spoiler +
Because it's pretty much the most conservative choice. I don't like gambits or uneven positions, and this is the best second move I can think of since my suggestion of 1. d4 was defeated .
Moderator
Cloud9157
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2968 Posts
August 08 2011 06:43 GMT
#294
On August 08 2011 12:56 BaronFel wrote:
2. d4

+ Show Spoiler +
Look up the Halloween Gambit and tell me you don't wanna play that amirite?


+ Show Spoiler +
Halloween Gambit goes:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Nc3 Nf6
4. Nxe5 Nxe5
5. d4


From there it can go into a few different things.
"Are you absolutely sure that armor only affects the health portion of a protoss army??? That doesn't sound right to me. source?" -Some idiot
Spidinko
Profile Joined May 2010
Slovakia1174 Posts
August 08 2011 09:22 GMT
#295
2.Nf3
+ Show Spoiler +
I guess most people here want to play standard (not crazy) games, so I'll just go with them, instead of thinking about other moves which wouldn't pass the vote anyway.
Zinbiel
Profile Joined October 2008
Sweden878 Posts
August 08 2011 10:02 GMT
#296
2. Nf3

+ Show Spoiler +
Personally I prefer playing openings like the english with lots of closed, positional play but since TL wants the game open, I want it to follow a path I am at least familiar with.
Backho fan since 080416. Favourite terran: Mind. Favourite Zerg: Jaedong.
tyr
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France1686 Posts
August 08 2011 10:07 GMT
#297
2.f4

+ Show Spoiler +
After reading all the arguments for this move, I really like this.
"I'm always reminded of how manly Jaedong is every time I see him." -Bisu
harhar!
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany190 Posts
August 08 2011 10:29 GMT
#298
2. Nf3

cuz in know what im doing :cool:
timh
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands47 Posts
August 08 2011 11:04 GMT
#299
2. Qh5

+ Show Spoiler +
I say we try and end it sooner rather then later! Lets keep the option of f4 open and still attack e5, best of both worlds. Let's add some bacon and make it blend!
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
August 08 2011 12:12 GMT
#300
On August 08 2011 20:04 timh wrote:
2. Qh5

+ Show Spoiler +
I say we try and end it sooner rather then later! Lets keep the option of f4 open and still attack e5, best of both worlds. Let's add some bacon and make it blend!


+ Show Spoiler +
Thank goodness we're voting on this one XD
Moderator
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1155
TKL 424
IndyStarCraft 316
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1155
ByuN 451
TKL 424
IndyStarCraft 316
Reynor 185
BRAT_OK 68
EmSc Tv 9
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31323
Calm 2643
Shuttle 380
Mini 156
White-Ra 130
firebathero 105
Mong 61
scan(afreeca) 17
soO 17
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc9232
Counter-Strike
fl0m2606
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3589
Liquid`Hasu523
MindelVK5
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2386
FrodaN1590
B2W.Neo744
olofmeister684
Khaldor510
Beastyqt244
Livibee175
crisheroes170
Mew2King71
ToD53
kaitlyn37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick435
BasetradeTV203
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 9
EmSc2Tv 9
angryscii 1
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 37
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 5
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach64
• blackmanpl 19
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• 80smullet 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV619
Other Games
• imaqtpie1060
• Shiphtur684
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
19m
BSL Open Qualifier
19m
OSC
4h 19m
Replay Cast
4h 19m
OSC
17h 19m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.