• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:30
CEST 08:30
KST 15:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8908 users

Death metal thread - Page 5

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23 24 Next All
ZombieNostalgia
Profile Joined March 2011
United States133 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-29 21:15:19
July 29 2011 21:10 GMT
#81
On July 30 2011 03:08 couches wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2011 22:51 SxYSpAz wrote:
i am so glad i viewed this thread. I've been calling metalcore "death metal" for years. I feel really stupid now that this difference is extremely clear.

I guess i just don't hear any mainstream death metal, but the genre is said more than metalcore by far
DM isn't mainstream. The closest death metal ever got to mainstream was in the early to mid 90s when mtv would occasionally acknowledge it.

And I guess as far as the most widely known band that people who aren't really into the genre would have heard of is Cannibal Corpse.


Morbid Angel is pretty well known for Death Metal. I would say even more so than CC.

I'd also like to note that the new Fleshgod is pretty awful and boring considering how good Oracles was. The guitars are like hidden underneath all of the orchestral noise. It's like they are trying to draw attention from it. They are known as a Brutal Death metal band and this sounds like it will be kind of mediocre. This is of course my opinion.
TheBamf
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark366 Posts
July 30 2011 01:54 GMT
#82
I think it is safe to say that Canibal Corpse is by far the most well-known death metal band.

Not nessecarily due to music but rather image as being the most "brutal"/"hard" band in pop culture.

Personally I think the most well-liked death metal band in metal circles is "Death". The grand-daddies of death metal with 7 records. 6 of which I love to death.
IM.Nestea | IM.MvP | MvP.DongRaeGu. | Genius | ST.Parting I SlayerS.MMA
ZombieNostalgia
Profile Joined March 2011
United States133 Posts
July 30 2011 02:23 GMT
#83
On July 30 2011 10:54 TheBamf wrote:
I think it is safe to say that Canibal Corpse is by far the most well-known death metal band.

Not nessecarily due to music but rather image as being the most "brutal"/"hard" band in pop culture.

Personally I think the most well-liked death metal band in metal circles is "Death". The grand-daddies of death metal with 7 records. 6 of which I love to death.




I would agree with this. Most of my friends who like DM, usually like Death. They gush over them a lot. I never really got into Death too much. Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy and Symbolic are what I like.

I usually am getting so much music I forget some bands. Plus I tend to mix up what I listen to so it gets even more jumbled. Some people say metal is dying which is bullshit. People who say that just aren't searching hard enough.
couches
Profile Joined November 2010
618 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-30 16:34:08
July 30 2011 15:59 GMT
#84
Extreme metal isn't dying. It' just being infected by -core right now. There's actually been a lot of awesome new stuff coming out lately. For example:

Have any of you guys gotten Towards the Megalith by Disma? If you like Incantation, go pick this up now. It's great.

Also this page needs a video:





ZombieNostalgia
Profile Joined March 2011
United States133 Posts
July 30 2011 17:32 GMT
#85
I mentioned that album earlier in the thread. I listened to a stream of it and instantly bought it. Great CD to have.
Craig Pillard does it again.
couches
Profile Joined November 2010
618 Posts
July 30 2011 23:42 GMT
#86
Woops, missed that post.
PITN
Profile Joined October 2010
New Zealand158 Posts
July 31 2011 10:46 GMT
#87
On July 30 2011 06:10 ZombieNostalgia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 30 2011 03:08 couches wrote:
On July 29 2011 22:51 SxYSpAz wrote:
i am so glad i viewed this thread. I've been calling metalcore "death metal" for years. I feel really stupid now that this difference is extremely clear.

I guess i just don't hear any mainstream death metal, but the genre is said more than metalcore by far
DM isn't mainstream. The closest death metal ever got to mainstream was in the early to mid 90s when mtv would occasionally acknowledge it.

And I guess as far as the most widely known band that people who aren't really into the genre would have heard of is Cannibal Corpse.


Morbid Angel is pretty well known for Death Metal. I would say even more so than CC.

I'd also like to note that the new Fleshgod is pretty awful and boring considering how good Oracles was. The guitars are like hidden underneath all of the orchestral noise. It's like they are trying to draw attention from it. They are known as a Brutal Death metal band and this sounds like it will be kind of mediocre. This is of course my opinion.


I like the new Fleshgod album, the first half less so, but it picks up in the second half. Not sure what all the complaints I'm hearing of guitars being hidden as they are audible the whole way through with only a couple of moments being the exception. It's definitely not the emphasis of the album though. I'm a fan of Oracles too, but not Mafia, find mafia after thru our scars to be boring as hell.
http://www.last.fm/user/Laethetten
Caloooomi
Profile Joined July 2010
Scotland188 Posts
July 31 2011 12:02 GMT
#88
There are quite a few bands in the UK that are taking off/still about, so I wouldn't say it's dying - Cancerous Womb, Cerebral Bore, Dawn of Chaos, Nerrus Kor, Vulsellum Infected Dissary etc. etc.
Booga booga booga~
Musclecore
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Sweden103 Posts
July 31 2011 12:37 GMT
#89
On July 28 2011 01:13 TheBamf wrote:
Someone likes finnish DM ^^

The Karelian Isthmus by Amorphis is fuckign brilliant, I do not understand why they degraded their sound with every album from there on.


Indeed I do! It's a bit underrated in the broad scheme of things. For some reason "Swedish Death Metal" have become a term, when I myself find that the fins were doing the same thing better. And I don't really like the sort of death metal which is characteristically Swedish - that being Nihilist/Entombed, Dismember and of course the melodic Gothenburg bands. I don't mean to come off as saying they're bad, but not my cup of tea. (And Dismember's debut LP is pretty sick!)



And to take two other bands that started out as a more pure breed of death metal, before turning to a more blackened or melodic state... Marduk and Dissection.




To call these tracks black metal or whatever else would be blasphemy!
Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy
TheBamf
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark366 Posts
July 31 2011 13:45 GMT
#90
Not to tramp on your parade but I can deffo hear the Black metal.

And I love all bands linked so <3

Morbid Angels best song IMO:
IM.Nestea | IM.MvP | MvP.DongRaeGu. | Genius | ST.Parting I SlayerS.MMA
couches
Profile Joined November 2010
618 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-31 16:40:44
July 31 2011 16:39 GMT
#91
B is my favorite Morbid Angel. =D

More new DM

Smoke.
Profile Joined December 2010
United States8 Posts
July 31 2011 16:59 GMT
#92
Death metal on TL!

Shameless advertisement of my death metal band!
If you're in the New England area you should come to one of our shows!

One of our songs:


Site:
http://www.facebook.com/Totalitymetal

I play drums :3
Musclecore
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Sweden103 Posts
July 31 2011 21:26 GMT
#93
On July 31 2011 22:45 TheBamf wrote:
Not to tramp on your parade but I can deffo hear the Black metal.

And I love all bands linked so <3


And I can hear a lot of thrash in death metal, but it isn't thrash - or a lot of death and thrash in black, but its still black. Of course these genres share some common traits.
Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy
TheBamf
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark366 Posts
July 31 2011 23:31 GMT
#94
Well that can be said by all sub genres..
IM.Nestea | IM.MvP | MvP.DongRaeGu. | Genius | ST.Parting I SlayerS.MMA
ZombieNostalgia
Profile Joined March 2011
United States133 Posts
July 31 2011 23:43 GMT
#95
On July 31 2011 19:46 PITN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 30 2011 06:10 ZombieNostalgia wrote:
On July 30 2011 03:08 couches wrote:
On July 29 2011 22:51 SxYSpAz wrote:
i am so glad i viewed this thread. I've been calling metalcore "death metal" for years. I feel really stupid now that this difference is extremely clear.

I guess i just don't hear any mainstream death metal, but the genre is said more than metalcore by far
DM isn't mainstream. The closest death metal ever got to mainstream was in the early to mid 90s when mtv would occasionally acknowledge it.

And I guess as far as the most widely known band that people who aren't really into the genre would have heard of is Cannibal Corpse.


Morbid Angel is pretty well known for Death Metal. I would say even more so than CC.

I'd also like to note that the new Fleshgod is pretty awful and boring considering how good Oracles was. The guitars are like hidden underneath all of the orchestral noise. It's like they are trying to draw attention from it. They are known as a Brutal Death metal band and this sounds like it will be kind of mediocre. This is of course my opinion.


I like the new Fleshgod album, the first half less so, but it picks up in the second half. Not sure what all the complaints I'm hearing of guitars being hidden as they are audible the whole way through with only a couple of moments being the exception. It's definitely not the emphasis of the album though. I'm a fan of Oracles too, but not Mafia, find mafia after thru our scars to be boring as hell.


My real complaint is that the guitars are pretty weak. Brutal death is pretty guitar oriented, Obviously it is heavily drum oriented as well. I listen to my friends drool over the drumming in that one song, I'm like "that is pretty standard for the genre." Then they are always claiming I'm a troll and a hipster.
ZombieNostalgia
Profile Joined March 2011
United States133 Posts
July 31 2011 23:47 GMT
#96
On July 31 2011 08:42 couches wrote:
Woops, missed that post.


It's all good. Disma needs more attention.

Also that Hour of Penance album isnt that new being from 2010. That being said it is a very enjoyable technical brutal death album. Not boring, something a lot of brutal bands fall victim to.

It may seem that I'm nit picking your post. It's just what I do. I guess I like to talk too much about music. lol.
Hollow
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Canada2180 Posts
August 01 2011 00:17 GMT
#97
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Mitochondrion's new album is really crushing. Probably one of the few recent death metal acts that does it so well.

Gesperrt
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany417 Posts
August 01 2011 00:19 GMT
#98
Another classic record/band:

ZombieNostalgia
Profile Joined March 2011
United States133 Posts
August 01 2011 00:28 GMT
#99
I figured I should at least contribute some death metal.
Adorior - Author of Incest.

Fucking amazing Black/Death. Just totally savage stuff.


Female fronted too.
PITN
Profile Joined October 2010
New Zealand158 Posts
August 01 2011 00:29 GMT
#100
On August 01 2011 08:43 ZombieNostalgia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 31 2011 19:46 PITN wrote:
On July 30 2011 06:10 ZombieNostalgia wrote:
On July 30 2011 03:08 couches wrote:
On July 29 2011 22:51 SxYSpAz wrote:
i am so glad i viewed this thread. I've been calling metalcore "death metal" for years. I feel really stupid now that this difference is extremely clear.

I guess i just don't hear any mainstream death metal, but the genre is said more than metalcore by far
DM isn't mainstream. The closest death metal ever got to mainstream was in the early to mid 90s when mtv would occasionally acknowledge it.

And I guess as far as the most widely known band that people who aren't really into the genre would have heard of is Cannibal Corpse.


Morbid Angel is pretty well known for Death Metal. I would say even more so than CC.

I'd also like to note that the new Fleshgod is pretty awful and boring considering how good Oracles was. The guitars are like hidden underneath all of the orchestral noise. It's like they are trying to draw attention from it. They are known as a Brutal Death metal band and this sounds like it will be kind of mediocre. This is of course my opinion.


I like the new Fleshgod album, the first half less so, but it picks up in the second half. Not sure what all the complaints I'm hearing of guitars being hidden as they are audible the whole way through with only a couple of moments being the exception. It's definitely not the emphasis of the album though. I'm a fan of Oracles too, but not Mafia, find mafia after thru our scars to be boring as hell.


My real complaint is that the guitars are pretty weak. Brutal death is pretty guitar oriented, Obviously it is heavily drum oriented as well. I listen to my friends drool over the drumming in that one song, I'm like "that is pretty standard for the genre." Then they are always claiming I'm a troll and a hipster.



Eh, I can hear the guitars pretty clearly, and I've changed my mind. The entire album is awesome, there are only a couple of bits where the orchestral bits sound disjointed and random. I take it from your comment you've only heard The Violation? The album version is a lot meatier than the version on youtube, guitars a lot clearer. The drumming style is pretty standard, but the drummer is one of the faster around. Yeah, my friends call me that too, bastards :D
http://www.last.fm/user/Laethetten
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 455
Hyuk 275
Leta 227
Hyun 93
Hm[arnc] 33
ZergMaN 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm225
League of Legends
JimRising 734
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King91
Other Games
summit1g8941
WinterStarcraft523
Nina104
ArmadaUGS64
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick804
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream152
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2293
League of Legends
• Rush1458
• Lourlo994
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 30m
INu's Battles
5h 30m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
8h 30m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 30m
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 30m
Replay Cast
16h 30m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 4h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.