|
|
Well, I'm not sure what I should be more surprised about, the low salary or most people on the forum being fine with the low salary. Irregardless of whether they stay in China for a year or not, at some point they come back to Canada/USA/Europe where living is more expensive and they have limited job prospects and bank after their "gaming career".
I suppose I have different ideas about average salaries coming from Belgium, where the average monthly salary is 3103 euro / month before taxes (http://www.vacature.com/job/sollicitatie/gemiddeld-salaris-belgie-0). I hope you can see why I'm shocked by these salaries. In my country, single unemployed people earn more than this. SingSing is from Holland where the average is 2568 / month before taxes (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modaal_inkomen). Is he supposed to be happy with 740? I wouldn't be.
It's kinda funny how everyone is always up in arms about legitimizing e-sports and making it grow, but at the same time they're fine with the main actors in this system (e.g. the players) being paid only 1K/month because "they play games all day"? What's the appeal for aspiring players to go pro if these are the conditions they're given? I'd love to see the salaries of the european/usa organizations, maybe this is low because it's a chinese organization, but reading Loda's blog does not give the impression that conditions are better here.
|
On November 19 2013 21:57 Laurens wrote: Well, I'm not sure what I should be more surprised about, the low salary or most people on the forum being fine with the low salary. Irregardless of whether they stay in China for a year or not, at some point they come back to Canada/USA/Europe where living is more expensive and they have limited job prospects and bank after their "gaming career".
Just out of curiosity, whats your stance on players receiving low or high salary when it comes to encouraging to play harder/better? Do you think that players who receive thousands of dollars a month take the game as seriously as those who earn way less? (SC2 players as an example, if you know about the scene)
|
1000 euro seems very reasonable to me if you live at home or in a team house playing computer games. Don't forget all the traveling they do that the organisation covers.
Seriously, I don't think you would be able to spend it all every month with this kind of lifestyle unless you would be trying to live on your own where you rent some apartment and cover all your expenses with this money. And if your goal is to live a more "normal" life like everybody else and treat dota (or any other game for that matter) like a normal day job, well then you are in the wrong career path.
But this contract is pretty similar or even better than what most people playing sports get.
|
1000 usd per month + living expenses sounds quite reasonable. An interesting question is how this compares to other teams like liquid, fnatic or empire.
On November 19 2013 21:13 Alpino wrote: Any person doing their job should get more than this. At least in Brazil you won't be able to afford your living expenses with this kind of salary.
That's a bit of an exageration. I went to college in Sao Paulo (which is probably the most expensive city in Brazil except Brasilia) and got by with 1000 usd/month. It's not enough to support a family, sure, but it's enough to share apartment with other people in a good location, use public transportation and eat reasonably well.
|
Is it worth it to tryhard roshan in diretide ? The best I could achieve in random pubs was lvl 9, does it make loots really better at higher level ?
Anyway the challenge is quite fun, but it's a pain in the ass to manage to gather 10 guys and optimize it to the best. It's impossible in pub, and logical, people are here to play not to try hard. Last time I put a bit of effort dominating centaur and wolf, but enemy gyro thought it was fun killing them :-/
|
On November 19 2013 21:57 Laurens wrote: Well, I'm not sure what I should be more surprised about, the low salary or most people on the forum being fine with the low salary. Irregardless of whether they stay in China for a year or not, at some point they come back to Canada/USA/Europe where living is more expensive and they have limited job prospects and bank after their "gaming career".
I suppose I have different ideas about average salaries coming from Belgium, where the average monthly salary is 3103 euro / month before taxes (http://www.vacature.com/job/sollicitatie/gemiddeld-salaris-belgie-0). I hope you can see why I'm shocked by these salaries. In my country, single unemployed people earn more than this. SingSing is from Holland where the average is 2568 / month before taxes (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modaal_inkomen). Is he supposed to be happy with 740? I wouldn't be.
It's kinda funny how everyone is always up in arms about legitimizing e-sports and making it grow, but at the same time they're fine with the main actors in this system (e.g. the players) being paid only 1K/month because "they play games all day"? What's the appeal for aspiring players to go pro if these are the conditions they're given? I'd love to see the salaries of the european/usa organizations, maybe this is low because it's a chinese organization, but reading Loda's blog does not give the impression that conditions are better here.
i think you are overreacting a lot here. yes 1000$ a month is barely more than unemployed people get in western europe (i think its even less if you count rent, healthcare and rebates into it, at least for germany but our welfare system isnt that great in the first place) but then they have other sources of incoming for now (streaming and tournament winnings), once they are in china their payment is pretty decent with the teamhouse and probably all expenses covered.
but the most important part is, that esport careers arent 10+ years long. the players can play as fully professional players now and get payed for something they enjoy for two or three years and can get back to school after that with no problems whatsoever, they can even still play competitively and compete at the very top without being fully professional. i think examples like korok or qjoqva who both became very competent and respected players while still being in highschool (korok is still in highschool, right?).or hvost who i think finished his university degree while still being active (thus playing a bit less).
you will not get rich doing sports, doesnt matter if traditional or esports. you will earn very little money for a hell lot of work and that is fine because people arent willing to spend that on that.
|
Netherlands45349 Posts
It also matters that organizations simply can not afford more then that because there is not much money to be found in esports in the first place.
|
On November 20 2013 00:10 Kipsate wrote: It also matters that organizations simply can not afford more then that because there is not much money to be found in esports in the first place. DING DING DING
For some reason people have this idea that progamers live comfortable lives.
Roughly 2 teams outside of China do, and I'm not that sure about Chinese teams.
|
Ok guys for those who are into strange items, i just found out that the chisel is working properly now (5 uses per item), but if you bought it through the store the chisel/hammer will have only 1 use, so better just craft chisel/hammer through recipe in future (buy them from market for 0.20 etc).
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
What's the issue about pay? The players are happy to earn 1K a month because it's the only way, there just isn't the money for more.
|
On November 19 2013 21:57 Laurens wrote: Well, I'm not sure what I should be more surprised about, the low salary or most people on the forum being fine with the low salary. Irregardless of whether they stay in China for a year or not, at some point they come back to Canada/USA/Europe where living is more expensive and they have limited job prospects and bank after their "gaming career".
I suppose I have different ideas about average salaries coming from Belgium, where the average monthly salary is 3103 euro / month before taxes (http://www.vacature.com/job/sollicitatie/gemiddeld-salaris-belgie-0). I hope you can see why I'm shocked by these salaries. In my country, single unemployed people earn more than this. SingSing is from Holland where the average is 2568 / month before taxes (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modaal_inkomen). Is he supposed to be happy with 740? I wouldn't be.
It's kinda funny how everyone is always up in arms about legitimizing e-sports and making it grow, but at the same time they're fine with the main actors in this system (e.g. the players) being paid only 1K/month because "they play games all day"? What's the appeal for aspiring players to go pro if these are the conditions they're given? I'd love to see the salaries of the european/usa organizations, maybe this is low because it's a chinese organization, but reading Loda's blog does not give the impression that conditions are better here.
Belguim is a little bit of a special case because you guys have one of the highest living standard in europe (i nearly got a job there and so i was told). I'd say average salary in most of the EU countries is around 2k euro. And that can be before tax and after you paid for rent/food etc you wont have much left while Speed's accomadation/food/tracel expense etc are provided by sponsor.
And that's the thing with esport, it is still a niche market, it is a minority. It is always been like that in esport world, the top 3 players/teams make significantly more money than the rest of everyone. In china, only iG/DK/LGD players can be considered to be getting paid by a considerable amount of money and for the west we have A and Navi (not sure how much is EG/TL paying). Considering Speed is not (yet) among the top teams, I'd say that salary is acceptable/not bad, and the sponsor does matter, the chinese rich man is paying big money from his pocket for them. So yeah, it is unfortunately that sing etc are from NA/EU with bigger currency but they take the deal in the end of day.
|
United Kingdom24425 Posts
$1k is fine considering they have so many opportunities to earn more than that. They aren't working 8-5 and making $1000 per month.
|
Guys, they are in China, not some first world country, not HongKong ... Consider that if you live in China, and make 1k USD per month, you would be on the middle to upper class. Not to mention they about to get 2K per month, in addition to free house.
|
If they bring on results they get upgraded to 2k/month which is almost like a normal job. Can't fault Rattlesnake for that, since they hired an aspiring team, not champions.
|
1k usd per month in china is not bad, more than what normal government workers with uni degrees make. it doesnt make you middle upper class however. if i was to go to china right now and teach english to lil kids id make 2k usd per month, very good compared to the locals but still god awful compared to na/eu.
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
what can 2k a month get you in china then? if it implies you're well off in comparison to the norm is that because the general standard of living is incredibly low or that the general necessities are more easily afforded?
|
On November 20 2013 02:39 Targe wrote: what can 2k a month get you in china then? if it implies you're well off in comparison to the norm is that because the general standard of living is incredibly low or that the general necessities are more easily afforded? I don't know what it can get you in china, but it isn't a lot in the US for anyone who wants to do more than rent an appartment and live off Raman. They are a new team and young guys, but as someone with a mortgage, that is shitty pay.
It's fine short term, but if in the long term players will move without more pay.
|
1k a month in shanghai is about average, 2k is indeed upper middle class
|
I'm a student and live with 600 euros a month, and thats before rent, food etc. So yeah in my opinion 1000usd/month to play a game is pretty awesome. Almost any progamer is young and doesn't have a family or big responsibilites it's a great salary and they can earn so much more.
I mean they can still study after a few years of progaming and get a decent career afterward. People live long these days a few years to do something special while you're young is nothing if you ask me.
|
On November 20 2013 02:45 Plansix wrote:Show nested quote +On November 20 2013 02:39 Targe wrote: what can 2k a month get you in china then? if it implies you're well off in comparison to the norm is that because the general standard of living is incredibly low or that the general necessities are more easily afforded? I don't know what it can get you in china, but it isn't a lot in the US for anyone who wants to do more than rent an appartment and live off Raman. They are a new team and young guys, but as someone with a mortgage, that is shitty pay.It's fine short term, but if in the long term players will move without more pay.
Difference is, they aren't paying for their accommodations nor food. I bet even you would be fine with 1000 USD a month if your mortgage or rent would be paid for you, not to mention your other normal day expenses.
|
|
|
|
|
|