General Discussion - Page 4257
| Forum Index > Dota 2 General |
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2 Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads. | ||
|
Nilrem
United States3684 Posts
| ||
|
Staboteur
Canada1873 Posts
On November 03 2013 09:19 Kishin2 wrote: Proof that the Dota community is, in fact, the worst of them all. LoL's demographic might actually be in a lower age group, but dota's certainly behaves the most immature. Valve spoiled the community too much. Not even. People are just completely ridiculous. To anyone that ACTUALLY feels that Valve failed in some duty to inform you that diretide wasn't going to be a thing, I want to sit you down, look you straight in the eyes and tell you to your face that you're being an entitled little brat and need to grow the fuck up. Seriously. Arguments like "All Valve had to do is communicate and this wouldn't be such a problem!".. seriously? Here's an idea : Don't be an idiot, and there isn't a problem. Hell, is there even a "problem"? I'm seeing people posting on Volvo (actual volvo)'s facebook, making funny content and posting GIVE DIRETIDE everywhere, but the only place I've seen people legitimately upset about no Diretide is on TL. And it's not a sane kind of upset, it's literally just as stupid as if you were to complain that you didn't get a mythical drop from your last game, or if you posted a hate message on the door of a house this halloween because they didn't give you candy this year, but they gave you candy last year but DEFINITELY didn't warn you that they weren't providing this time 'round. So to everyone that thinks this is an actual problem : Grow the fuck up. Stop being an idiot. The company providing a free game and free resources and tournaments and a badass client doesn't have a history of letting everyone know exactly what's going on, and while you may not believe so, it isn't actually their duty to leave a nice note in your carefully packed lunch that says "Oh, by the way, Honey: We're not doing Diretide this year! Sorry, we'll make it up to you somehow! - love, Mom." To everyone else that's spamming GIVE DIRETIDE because it's hilarious, I love you and never change. | ||
|
Fwizzz
Philippines4420 Posts
| ||
|
Klonere
Ireland4123 Posts
On November 03 2013 09:16 makmeatt wrote: No offense, but I don't see why you people are being so delusional, I can take a guess it's because of you being inexperienced with how multiplayer games are developed and maintained. The 'community' has became this self-righteous, self-conscious thing that feels 'they' are important enough to make demands and dish out punishment should these demands not be met. You guys should honestly get back on earth and learn to appreciate what you have, 'cause what is currently happening to you is not going to go away with a sympathetic pat on the back, it's going to bite you over and over again and no matter how much you will deny the pain, it won't go away. Valve, as a company, as the game developer, as whoever you think they are, has no obligation, moral or otherwise, to serve you. They still choose to, so get your fucking facts straight and appreciate their efforts. mmm? how am i delusional for wanting a company to say something? i dont get it, im not whining about a lack of diretide, or no heroes or russians in my MM, i dont care about any of those things really. i dont want any punishment or some sort of pat on the back for not having diretide, i dont think im being self righteous for just wanting the modicum of communcation with the people who make my favourite game. how is it pie in the sky stuff to expect something like "sorry guys, things are a bit fluid around here, we are working on what should be a triple hero patch/event mode/other big feature and it should be out by xyz date. in the meantime you should check out x tournament going on right now!". how is that a self righteous conceited demand. im just going to reiterate I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE ACTUAL CONTENT I JUST WANT SOME TALK FROM VALVE. just off the cuff the best example of effective communication in the face of issues would be BF4 which launched with a bunch of bugs and crashes into the equally abrasive FPS communuity, DICE decided to reply to these by providing a list of fixes to said bugs and how they were progressing with them: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065217944685108/. I mean...its something? As the first comment says "at least they are trying". I KNOW Valve are trying, I know they employ the most talented, hard working people out there (look at the long weekend they pulled to get 679 out!) but they need to tell the community this. Its relatively little effort to assuage the better parts of this community. Sure there will always be dissenters but that does not mean that the reasonable people among us should be lumped in with GIEF DIRETIDE idiots. edit: jesus christ somehow I am the scum of the earth for wanting a small blog post about whats happening in dota2. ah well | ||
|
Nilrem
United States3684 Posts
On November 03 2013 09:40 Fwizzz wrote: Damn dota community is really shit. It will recover and bounce back. Once many blow off some steam and something else catches their attention, things will move back to how they use to be. | ||
|
xAdra
Singapore1858 Posts
far as to spam Obama's facebook with it, it's really damaging of the public's image of gamers as a whole. You know how your mum probably thinks you're stupid and useless for devoting so much time to games? If this kind of view becomes proliferated in the public to the point where everyone can agree, say good bye to your "esports" dream. This may just be a bunch of needless worrying- but I think it's poisonous to the public's reception of gamers. | ||
|
teapoted
United Kingdom24425 Posts
On November 03 2013 09:41 Klonere wrote: Well no, Valve should have some degree of communication. Like people realize that it doesn't have to be so black and white. It isn't:edit: jesus christ somehow I am the scum of the earth for wanting a small blog post about whats happening in dota2. ah well "Valve fucked up, community reaction is fine" or "Valve did nothing wrong, community reaction is fucked up" It's more like "Valve should improve on this because the community is full of idiots, and managing expectations by being somewhat transparent is good even for the ones who aren't going to send death threats to Matt." | ||
|
Klonere
Ireland4123 Posts
On November 03 2013 09:45 xAdra wrote: Sure, QQing about another party QQing has always been stupid. But in this case I feel like with these kids going sor far as to spam Obama's facebook with it, it's really damaging of the public's image of gamers as a whole. You know how your mum probably thinks you're stupid and useless for devoting so much time to games? If this kind of view becomes proliferated in the public to the point where everyone can agree, say good bye to your "esports" dream. This may just be a bunch of needless worrying- but I think it's poisonous to the public's reception of gamers. nobody outside our little bubble gives a fuck about this drama | ||
|
canikizu
4860 Posts
On November 03 2013 08:13 toemn wrote: + Show Spoiler + ![]() Valve could have prevented it though. One single tweet or a short blog post explaining WHY there's no Diretide and maybe some hints on whats to come soon. Valve stuff has answered on reddit before... But complaining about the the reddit/twitch mob is just plain stupid. It's obvious that stuff like this happens. People are people and 95% of them don't care what they write on the internet. Especially if it's gaming related. imo Diretide is just a figure of speech. The point is, Valve can come up with any special event for Halloween and people are pleased. It's just bad business, not only customers don't like it, Valve also lose PR too. Do you know that on Halloween day, LoL servers were overloaded (it took me 5,10 minutes to be in 10k queue to get in game), while on the other hand, Dota recorded the lowest peak number of players login in 3 months (from release) I agree that the mobhunt is way too exaggerated, but let's be honest, it's not like Valve is the smart guy here. They should just go along with the festive atmosphere, not necessary Diretide, but anything else and both sides would be pleased. Valve acts like an awkward nerdy kid lol. | ||
|
trifecta
United States6795 Posts
| ||
|
xAdra
Singapore1858 Posts
On November 03 2013 09:47 Klonere wrote: nobody outside our little bubble gives a fuck about this drama I certainly hope so. | ||
|
Dreamer.T
United States3584 Posts
On November 03 2013 09:45 xAdra wrote: Sure, QQing about another party QQing has always been stupid. But in this case I feel like with these kids going sor far as to spam Obama's facebook with it, it's really damaging of the public's image of gamers as a whole. You know how your mum probably thinks you're stupid and useless for devoting so much time to games? If this kind of view becomes proliferated in the public to the point where everyone can agree, say good bye to your "esports" dream. This may just be a bunch of needless worrying- but I think it's poisonous to the public's reception of gamers. I think people overestimate how much people actually care about esports thriving. Most people just play the game to pass time, they could care less about preserving an image of the community to the public. The way some gamers are, it's probably never going to happen. | ||
|
Staboteur
Canada1873 Posts
On November 03 2013 09:41 Klonere wrote: mmm? how am i delusional for wanting a company to say something? i dont get it, im not whining about a lack of diretide, or no heroes or russians in my MM, i dont care about any of those things really. i dont want any punishment or some sort of pat on the back for not having diretide, i dont think im being self righteous for just wanting the modicum of communcation with the people who make my favourite game. how is it pie in the sky stuff to expect something like "sorry guys, things are a bit fluid around here, we are working on what should be a triple hero patch/event mode/other big feature and it should be out by xyz date. in the meantime you should check out x tournament going on right now!". how is that a self righteous conceited demand. im just going to reiterate I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE ACTUAL CONTENT I JUST WANT SOME TALK FROM VALVE. just off the cuff the best example of effective communication in the face of issues would be BF4 which launched with a bunch of bugs and crashes into the equally abrasive FPS communuity, DICE decided to reply to these by providing a list of fixes to said bugs and how they were progressing with them: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065217944685108/. I mean...its something? As the first comment says "at least they are trying". I KNOW Valve are trying, I know they employ the most talented, hard working people out there (look at the long weekend they pulled to get 679 out!) but they need to tell the community this. Its relatively little effort to assuage the better parts of this community. Sure there will always be dissenters but that does not mean that the reasonable people among us should be lumped in with GIEF DIRETIDE idiots. edit: jesus christ somehow I am the scum of the earth for wanting a small blog post about whats happening in dota2. ah well Not the scum of the earth by any stretch, just "...just want(ing) the modicum of communcation with the people who make my favourite game." if this were true, then " I KNOW Valve are trying" wouldn't be. If they're communicating something you already know, they're not communicating effectively at all. It is information you've already gathered by some nonverbal form of communication, and anyone as smart as you are will have had the opportunity to pick up on that communication as well. Valve telling you something you already know wouldn't help anything, and while you could argue that they could tell you -specifics-, you cannot argue that the specifics are necessary. You trust that they're working on something, and whether or not you know what they're working on before it's done is wholly irrelevant. "but they need to tell the community this (in reference to how hard they work)." They don't need to tell the community anything. The spamming and everything is only tangentially related to Diretide. It's a catalyst that is feeding off of other internet problems. Valve saying anything would not have stopped the "problem", it would have caused it to come from something else. Personally I think the spam is kinda hilarious, in the cases where it isn't making us all look like jackasses ![]() | ||
|
TheYango
United States47024 Posts
Because from my perspective, that's all that would have happened. | ||
|
Excludos
Norway8279 Posts
On November 03 2013 09:47 Klonere wrote: nobody outside our little bubble gives a fuck about this drama They wouldn't, no, had people not started spamming every social media out there on pages which clearly has no correlation to gaming in any way. Its not that difficult to see why this makes for a piss poor image of gamers as a whole, and especially dota. | ||
|
Orome
Switzerland11984 Posts
| ||
|
Targe
United Kingdom14103 Posts
On November 03 2013 10:04 Orome wrote: s4 streaming! http://www.twitch.tv/s4 he needs to lower that stream quality | ||
|
Kishin2
United States7534 Posts
On November 03 2013 10:01 TheYango wrote: I'm curious what Valve making a blog post saying "guys we're not doing Diretide this year" would have accomplished other than causing people to have a hissy fit a few weeks earlier. Because from my perspective, that's all that would have happened. At the very least, it wouldn't have focused frustration toward one person to the extent that they get phone calls from their home. | ||
|
Esoterikk
Canada1256 Posts
On November 03 2013 10:01 TheYango wrote: I'm curious what Valve making a blog post saying "guys we're not doing Diretide this year" would have accomplished other than causing people to have a hissy fit a few weeks earlier. Because from my perspective, that's all that would have happened. I'd prefer a blog saying this is what we are working on currently similar to what Blizzard does with Sc2. I mean as someone whose spent 150$+ on Dota 2 I feel like I am entitled to a little information as a paying customer, I'm not going to harass people over it but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little annoyed with Valve at this point. That being said I'm not defending anyone's actions just giving my own biased opinion on Valves community management. | ||
|
xAdra
Singapore1858 Posts
On November 03 2013 09:59 Dreamer.T wrote: I think people overestimate how much people actually care about esports thriving. Most people just play the game to pass time, they could care less about preserving an image of the community to the public. The way some gamers are, it's probably never going to happen. What I'm saying is TL cares. Hence us being upset about others being upset. I'm pretty sure 99% of the russians, mid or feeds, no-ward-supports and the rest of the dota pub ensemble can't be bothered less about esports as well. | ||
| ||
![[image loading]](http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19557ke33t2n7png/original.png)
