• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:38
CEST 23:38
KST 06:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)50Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9574 users

Wanna teach english in Korea?! - Page 5

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Mooga
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States575 Posts
December 04 2008 06:54 GMT
#81
Don't get me wrong, I respect teachers very much, especially teachers who are good are what they do and really know the subject. But, teaching English in Korea doesn't really strike me as a exalted position.
Rayzorblade
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United States1172 Posts
December 04 2008 06:56 GMT
#82
On December 04 2008 15:49 KOFgokuon wrote:
rofl rekrul i've missed the raging posts


lmao, ditto to this. I'm like, "YES!" to the influx of rekrul posts thereby infusing the blog section with quality posts again.
Rekrul
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Korea (South)17174 Posts
December 04 2008 06:59 GMT
#83
On December 04 2008 15:46 Mooga wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 04 2008 15:39 Rekrul wrote:
Honestly, being an English teacher in Korea isn't exactly a crowning achievement. To think that they consider themselves "superior to average people" is arrogant to the point of irony.


thats not what i said, i was replying to GrayArea when he theorized that i walk around feeling that i am better than everyone (I DO IN ITAEWON THO LOL)


Still, in your post, you described the English teacher as being condescending. Out of curiosity, does he not think highly of himself?


oh nevermind i misunderstood what you were saying

oh yeah he flew radio controlled helicoptors part time for the army too, he was very proud of that fact too

i should have just rolled up my left sleeve as soon he started acting like he was 'better' than me
why so 진지해?
clazziquai
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
6685 Posts
December 04 2008 07:08 GMT
#84
So basically, most of these Americans or (foreigners fluent in English) are coming to Korea to half-ass teach English to students/kids, and earn a shitload money when they don't deserve it?

And after teaching they hit on girls nd such?

Man I always thought that they came here because they wanted to teach. Never did I know what really happened. Makes me feel angry because kids aren't being taught properly.
#1 Sea.Really Fan / #1 Nesh Fan / Terran Forever~
lilsusie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
3861 Posts
December 04 2008 07:11 GMT
#85
On December 04 2008 16:08 clazziquai wrote:
So basically, most of these Americans or (foreigners fluent in English) are coming to Korea to half-ass teach English to students/kids, and earn a shitload money when they don't deserve it?

And after teaching they hit on girls nd such?

Man I always thought that they came here because they wanted to teach. Never did I know what really happened. Makes me feel angry because kids aren't being taught properly.


I'm not sure if this post is serious or not. Excuse me if my sarcasm detector is off. =/
Follow me on Twitter for pictures of cute gamers and food! https://twitter.com/lilsusie
Orlandu
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
China2450 Posts
December 04 2008 08:02 GMT
#86
On December 04 2008 13:52 Elric_ wrote:
I am an English teacher in Korea. And yes I have indeed met quite a few who are twats in Korea.

The twattish English teacher is almost exclusively from America. He is white of course. He failed horribly with his education so he decided to fuck up other people's education half way across the world. He does not give three shits about Korean culture. All he cares about is nailing as much Asian pussy as possible. He was probably a social reject back in the States but in Korea he has transformed into the most arrogant piece of jock shit one can imagine.

Edit: actually fuck the English teacher category. I'm just going to generalise it to the majority of Americans (per se) that I've met in Korea.


At first I felt like this was a bit of a misguided thing to say, but when I thought about it some more, I realized that actually it's pretty much right on the dot. The only thing that I disagree with is that it's limited mainly to Americans. While it wouldn't surprise me if the majority were, at least in my own experiences, quite a few of the Europeans in Asia aren't exactly role models either.

But, of course it would be limited to mainly white or even possibly some black people in a country such as Korea, because any asian that tries to go there and do the same thing will have a completely different experience, simply because they're asian. I'm sure if they were as exciting to the locals as white or black people often are, then they'd be a bit more interested in "nailing as many girls as they can" as well, since their chances would dramatically increase.


Anyway, personally I think the idea of going to a foreign country to spend a lot of time and doing something like teaching without putting your heart into it is a pretty sad thing. I definitely think that anyone who spends a long period of time in a foreign country should be seriously interested in, or at least attempt to be interested in, the culture of that particular country unless there's some really good reason as to why you're in that country and can't get out. Hopefully things will improve in the future though.
We cant give up just because things arent the way we want them to be.
SpiritoftheTunA
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States20903 Posts
December 04 2008 08:12 GMT
#87
On December 04 2008 15:59 Rekrul wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 04 2008 15:46 Mooga wrote:
On December 04 2008 15:39 Rekrul wrote:
Honestly, being an English teacher in Korea isn't exactly a crowning achievement. To think that they consider themselves "superior to average people" is arrogant to the point of irony.


thats not what i said, i was replying to GrayArea when he theorized that i walk around feeling that i am better than everyone (I DO IN ITAEWON THO LOL)


Still, in your post, you described the English teacher as being condescending. Out of curiosity, does he not think highly of himself?


oh nevermind i misunderstood what you were saying

oh yeah he flew radio controlled helicoptors part time for the army too, he was very proud of that fact too

i should have just rolled up my left sleeve as soon he started acting like he was 'better' than me

left handed?
posting on liquid sites in current year
NarutO
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Germany18839 Posts
December 04 2008 08:17 GMT
#88
Rekrul you are such a winnar ^^ Cant get enough of your posts
CommentatorPolt | MMA | Jjakji | BoxeR | NaDa | MVP | MKP ... truly inspiring.
closed
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Vatican City State491 Posts
December 04 2008 11:07 GMT
#89
On December 04 2008 12:07 Rekrul wrote:
[image loading]


You could be just like him!


Does this picture have bad perspective or does she have unnaturally big head? I mean her head is like 30% bigger than the guys head. Or maybe the girl is just much taller/bigger than the guy and she is stooping? o_O
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
December 04 2008 11:26 GMT
#90
funny thing is that i'm considering going to korea for 1 year after i get my degree since i've always wanted to live there for a short period of time.

i'd probably have to be teaching english though to get by.
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
Rekrul
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Korea (South)17174 Posts
December 04 2008 11:27 GMT
#91
thats okay because you're korean
why so 진지해?
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
December 04 2008 11:41 GMT
#92
well maybe not ok because usually places want to hire people who don't look asian at all.

from what i've heard they have this preexisting bias that even if you were born and raised in america you're going to have some sort of asian accent in your english and you don't speak it properly.
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
MrHoon *
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
10183 Posts
December 04 2008 11:43 GMT
#93
I wish all the Americans in Korea were like Rekrul
dats racist
MrHoon *
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
10183 Posts
December 04 2008 11:45 GMT
#94
On December 04 2008 20:41 LosingID8 wrote:
well maybe not ok because usually places want to hire people who don't look asian at all.

from what i've heard they have this preexisting bias that even if you were born and raised in america you're going to have some sort of asian accent in your english and you don't speak it properly.

Incorrect

I tutor kids engrish + help art students with portfolios and I earn 40-50 bux an hour per kid and Im just taking an year break from Pratt

Now, besides art students do you think Koreans know Pratt Institute more than USC? Hell no.
Everyone knows USC in korea, so chances are you're going to get a job easier than me.
dats racist
Nyovne
Profile Joined March 2006
Netherlands19141 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-04 11:48:36
December 04 2008 11:46 GMT
#95
Gotta love the reaper's rage . But seriously does being white in asia get you a free pass to get laid or wtf. If I trust the stories from my friends who spent time studying abroad (Thailand, India, Korea and Japan) its like lol I'm white and a master student in *whatever*, wanna go out 2night? Sure!

Wth, they're not the most attractive guys either. Sounds like holy ground for me as well then muhahahaha tt.
ModeratorFor remember, that in the end, some are born to live, others born to die. I belong to those last, born to burn, born to cry. For I shall remain alone... forsaken.
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
December 04 2008 11:58 GMT
#96
On December 04 2008 20:45 MrHoon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 04 2008 20:41 LosingID8 wrote:
well maybe not ok because usually places want to hire people who don't look asian at all.

from what i've heard they have this preexisting bias that even if you were born and raised in america you're going to have some sort of asian accent in your english and you don't speak it properly.

Incorrect

I tutor kids engrish + help art students with portfolios and I earn 40-50 bux an hour per kid and Im just taking an year break from Pratt

Now, besides art students do you think Koreans know Pratt Institute more than USC? Hell no.
Everyone knows USC in korea, so chances are you're going to get a job easier than me.

sick

hook me up with a job yo
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
ShloobeR
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Korea (South)3851 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-04 12:29:49
December 04 2008 12:00 GMT
#97
Damn man

every morning in Idae subway station when I go to work there are Soju/Cass adverts and billboards everywhere, not to mention all the idae students coming to work..

it's a pretty sweet way to start the morning

Also, I agree that most of the foreigners I've met here tend to be soulless bastards, but I actually really enjoy my teaching job (But I teach Adults/University Students 1:1), I get to meet people that otherwise I would never have had the opportunity to meet, and generally I have met a lot of good/interesting people through the company, fellow teachers/staff or students.

But most of the people I've met who work in public schools seem to all agree that their teaching is useless... the kids dont want to learn... etc...

I'm pretty thankful that I landed this job, even if the hours are awful.

Some of the people I met as students are now some of my best friends.
: o )
Avius
Profile Joined October 2007
Iraq1796 Posts
December 04 2008 12:25 GMT
#98
wrong blog, shloober
aka. Samael
ShloobeR
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Korea (South)3851 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-04 12:31:57
December 04 2008 12:30 GMT
#99
On December 04 2008 21:25 Avius wrote:
wrong blog, shloober


On December 04 2008 13:06 Rekrul wrote:
[image loading]


i love soju


correct blog, just a little late : )

seriously soju marketing is like the best thing ever to wake up to
: o )
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
December 04 2008 13:41 GMT
#100
I always find comfort in finding other Aussies around the world, mostly on tours and in bars, but I still wouldn't approach or say hi to complete strangers...

Then again and no offence to you Americans, but we can get along a lot easier with each other from my experience, you guys are just awkward and fake. I had a few experience in Europe where I was on a beer tour, while the Aussies and Kiwis would easily shoot the shit and get a long genuinely, you'd see a couple of Americans having a conversation, talking about their jobs or family and both pretending to be genuinely interested in each others story ("wow, that's very interesting, I can relate to that, in fact I...") while both also clearly looking like they didn't give a shit, they just wanted to talk about them selves...

I recall a conversation between me and another Aussie girl.
"So what do you do back home?"
"I work in an office doing blah blah blah"
"Wow... your job sounds really boring... Good beer here"
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech136
Nathanias 132
Nina 108
SpeCial 63
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12910
Bale 11
League of Legends
Doublelift2472
JimRising 368
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4994
Khaldor1342
Liquid`Hasu710
Other Games
summit1g7127
fl0m652
shahzam485
ToD177
KnowMe135
FrodaN122
ArmadaUGS118
Mew2King73
JuggernautJason50
NeuroSwarm40
ViBE32
PPMD15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV196
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream66
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• HerbMon 0
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen100
Other Games
• imaqtpie854
• Shiphtur210
• Scarra134
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 22m
Stellar Fest
15h 22m
OSC
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 12h
Online Event
1d 13h
FEL
1d 18h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 19h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 21h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.