• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:34
CEST 02:34
KST 09:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8116 users

Are you a deist?

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
ryanAnger
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States838 Posts
July 14 2011 07:14 GMT
#1
For a long time I walked the tight rope between Atheist and Agnostic, and I've never been a fan of organized religion of any kind (but that's not what this is about.) I've always done my research on religions and all that kind of stuff, because I'm not the kind of person who likes to be against something I know nothing about. Despite this, I had never heard of "deism" until a couple months ago, and I just attributed my beliefs to Agnosticism.

Basically, what I actually believe is this:

+ Show Spoiler +
I believe that everything that is in the Universe, and all of the pieces that tie it together to make it what it is (physics, evolution, etc.), was created by something greater than the Universe, some higher power or being or something.

My reason for this, is that even though we have valid, evidenced theories about HOW the Universe was born, we don't know WHERE it came from. It seems like that is a question that very few scientists are even trying to answer.

Assuming a linear understanding of "time" as opposed to a circular one, you are always forced to question what was before whatever is commonly accepted as "the beginning." This is a question I don't think we'll ever truly know the answer to, and that is where I've decided to fill in the gaps with my own beliefs.

I believe that whoever or whatever was responsible for the creation of our Universe did JUST that, and then left it alone. No divine intervention, no divine miracles. That is not to say I'm entirely opposed to the supernatural (things such as ghosts) but I think if such things were real, there would be a valid scientific explanation for it, maybe something that we just haven't quite figured out yet.


The above beliefs make me a deist, and I didn't know it. I was just curious if there were other people here who had similar beliefs.

Here is the wiki article for Deism if you want to learn more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism
On my way...
TheGreatWhiteHope_
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States335 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 08:00:57
July 14 2011 07:19 GMT
#2
This will get closed soon.

"Herp derp backseat moderation herp derp" Shhh nerd behind the TLbot


User was banned for this post.
acker
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2958 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 07:25:13
July 14 2011 07:20 GMT
#3
Oh, god, a religion thread. Pardon the pun.

Time is intrinsically linked with mass according to standard relativistic theory, and was therefore created 10^–43 seconds after the Big Bang according to standard models.

Which means causality breaks down before 10^-43 seconds after the Big Bang, unless you happen to have a model of causality that doesn't use the one-way flow of time as an axiom. Food for thought.

...Or you could ignore the astrophysicists.
LloydRays
Profile Joined October 2010
United States306 Posts
July 14 2011 07:22 GMT
#4
i really like this, it is really difficult for me (science major) to accurately express my beliefs to my classmates with out being looked down on. It is en vogue right now to hate religion, but honestly I am of the opinion that the divisions between science and religion are not that extreme, one could say that evolution is god, for example.

Without going off on a rant, there are other beliefs, such as pantheism, the idea that the universe and its collective are literally god, a belief held by the late Carl Sagan.

I hope we can all realize that humanity has a lot of common goals, regardless of personal opinion
theron[wdt]
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States395 Posts
July 14 2011 07:24 GMT
#5
I became a deist during my 2nd year of high school. my AP european history teacher covered it in class and it seemed more plausible to me that someone created the universe then went off to play a never ending game of golf
Shatter
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1401 Posts
July 14 2011 07:24 GMT
#6
If you're interested in this topic, you might like this: Hume's Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion

It is pretty long (book length), but it has some very interesting arguments. Though you might want to read some background on the work before actually going into it blind.
graNite
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany4434 Posts
July 14 2011 07:24 GMT
#7
Do I get it right:
You believe in a god only because there is something you can't explain and that must be divine?
That's how they did it with with the weather many years ago. They didn't know when there will be rain and when there will be sunshine and they thought it was arbitrary, so they thought a god controlled it and they have to prey to him to have good weather.
Nowadays, we can't explain where the universe came from, so it must be created by a god.
Do you see the parallels? *facepalm*
"Oink oink, bitches" - Tasteless on Pigbaby winning a map against Flash
Grettin
Profile Joined April 2010
42416 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 07:28:28
July 14 2011 07:25 GMT
#8
I've been watching Fringe for couple days and all i believe now is the stuff shown in this show.
"If I had force-fields in Brood War, I'd never lose." -Bisu
prOxi.swAMi
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Australia3091 Posts
July 14 2011 07:25 GMT
#9
"we don't know WHERE it came from"

In such situations it is not sensible to inject your instinctive explanation in place of the knowledge gap. The answer could be anything, we do not have it. That is where it ends. When we do, we will know. Until then, it is a bad idea to start guessing.
Oh no
Flameberger
Profile Joined March 2010
United States227 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 07:29:35
July 14 2011 07:26 GMT
#10
Like seemingly a lot of people these days I only believe in what there is evidence to support. Though I don't dis-believe or have anything against any religion (because there is also no evidence to refute divine beings, assuming you don't nitpick ancient religious texts). I think this makes me agnostic?

As for your reasoning for being Deist, it seems to me that it raises the question of where that original deity came from. Unless you assume that matter requires an origin but divine beings do not, which, considering the inherent impossibility of understanding such an entity is not an unreasonable assumption to add.

I have my own theory as to where the matter in the universe came from, it's based on an arguably silly (and possibly downright inaccurate?) application of math. I think it's a fun subject to come up with answers to, religious or not.
Tewks44
Profile Joined April 2011
United States2032 Posts
July 14 2011 07:28 GMT
#11
I've considered deism and find myself fascinated by it. Logically, it makes sense. However I don't know if I can accept it. The universe is shockingly unorganized, and it has things in it that, while fascinating, serve little purpose. I think if anything the universe functions as a computer system. It has a maximum rate at which information can be exchanged (light speed) and it even has glitches that seem to violate standard laws (black holes).
"that is our ethos; free content, starcraft content, websites that work occasionally" -Sean "Day[9]" Plott
Tatari
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1179 Posts
July 14 2011 07:29 GMT
#12
Eh, I don't care much for explanations as to how, why, etc. the universe came into being. It's just simpler to think that shit happened and we all came into existence.

If humans have been struggling to explain how we all came into being via religion or science and if we STILL haven't figured it out, is it really worth the trouble? >_>
A fed jungler is no longer a jungler, but a terrorist.
Timestreamer
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel157 Posts
July 14 2011 07:30 GMT
#13
I'd use the words of a man much smarter then myself to make my claim for me:
- Richard Phillips Feynman
fishjie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1519 Posts
July 14 2011 07:31 GMT
#14
Nope I'm an atheist. I like some religions, like buddhism and daoism that don't really have the concept of god, especially not the naive "personal" god that many religions subscribe to. The way I approach it is, does belief in god really add any value to life? And to me the answer is no. I can enjoy the beauty of the universe without believing that something created it. and i don't have to worry about what created the creator.

as carl sagan said, if you want to argue that the creator always existed, just take it one step further. the universe always existed. god adds no value and is un-necessary. a belief in god actually takes away value, as anyone who has studied history can tell you.
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
July 14 2011 07:32 GMT
#15
When it comes down to it, the existence of life, consciousness and intelligence on an inhabitable planet is way too coincidental to be random. Yes, I believe in God.
Omnipresent
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States871 Posts
July 14 2011 07:32 GMT
#16
On July 14 2011 16:26 Flameberger wrote:
Like seemingly a lot of people these days I only believe in what there is evidence to support. Though I don't dis-believe or have anything against any religion (because there is also no evidence to refute divine beings, assuming you don't nitpick ancient religious texts). I think this makes me agnostic?

As for your reasoning for being Deist, it seems to me that it raises the question of where that original deity came from. Unless you assume that matter requires an origin but divine beings do not, which, considering the inherent impossibility of understanding such an entity is not an unreasonable assumption to add.

This makes you an atheist by most (accurate) definitions. Lacking a belief in a god/gods makes you an atheist, even if you don't take the extra step of making the claim that God does not exist.

It's like if I told you I had a million dollars in the trunk of my car. You wont believe it without evidence, but you can't be sure it isn't there. If you feel this way about God, you're an atheist. People will classify you as a "weak atheist," but you're still an atheist.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 07:40:05
July 14 2011 07:34 GMT
#17
I don't know if something else created everything other than itself but even if it did that wouldn't mean anything to me.

Do I think there is a god that follows silly rules like most organized religions suggest? Definitely no.



TimeStreamer nice video, I agree with that.
Redox
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany24794 Posts
July 14 2011 07:36 GMT
#18
On July 14 2011 16:32 snotboogie wrote:
When it comes down to it, the existence of life, consciousness and intelligence on an inhabitable planet is way too coincidental to be random. Yes, I believe in God.

Yeah what a concidence that life developed on an inhabitable planet.
Wait, what?
Off-season = best season
Flameberger
Profile Joined March 2010
United States227 Posts
July 14 2011 07:37 GMT
#19
On July 14 2011 16:32 Omnipresent wrote:
People will classify you as a "weak atheist,"


Ha, works for me. Never have invested too much into the exact classification of my beliefs.
ixi.genocide
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States981 Posts
July 14 2011 07:37 GMT
#20
On July 14 2011 16:22 LloydRays wrote:
i really like this, it is really difficult for me (science major) to accurately express my beliefs to my classmates with out being looked down on. It is en vogue right now to hate religion, but honestly I am of the opinion that the divisions between science and religion are not that extreme, one could say that evolution is god, for example.

Without going off on a rant, there are other beliefs, such as pantheism, the idea that the universe and its collective are literally god, a belief held by the late Carl Sagan.

I hope we can all realize that humanity has a lot of common goals, regardless of personal opinion


You could only consider evolution "god" if you think that god is a concept. If you think that god is a being than it is impossible for evolution to be a god.

To the OP- 10^-43 power is 1/10^43rd of a second, ie time started when the big bang happened. You may consider yourself a deist or agnostic but if you want to go on scientific proof, their is an explanation for everything in this world, thus their is no proof of a higher power. Just food for thought.
1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings90
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O171
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 172
ProTech5
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1028
ZZZero.O 171
Bale 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm197
League of Legends
Doublelift4663
Counter-Strike
minikerr15
Other Games
summit1g10559
JimRising 709
C9.Mang0260
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1169
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP117
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 26m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 26m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 26m
Replay Cast
22h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.