• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:59
CEST 17:59
KST 00:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8073 users

Spoiler thumbnails on AfreecaTV YouTube [SOLUTION]

Forum Index > Brood War Tournaments
Post a Reply
Coalmeister
Profile Joined July 2017
Serbia22 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-09 12:28:00
March 08 2019 20:52 GMT
#1
Hello, reader.

Lately I've seen people complaining that AfreecaTV tends to spoil the victor of a match (at least for ASL) in the thumbnail of the video on their YouTube channel. Maybe they want to annoy people into migrating onto their own platform, I don't know. Since watching spoiled BroodWar matches is a lot less fun, and because I've had some free time in the last two days, I've decided to create a solution to this problem.

In essence, I've written a small C++ program that connects to YouTube and lists videos on Afreeca's channel in [NAME, LINK] pairs without thumbnails. That way you can use the link to open the video without ever looking at any thumbnails!
(And yes, I realize that this is probably overkill for such a simple problem, but... I couldn't think of anything simpler.)

Until I find a more permanent hosting solution (any suggestions?), you can download the program off this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7n4drzjq88ao44c/YTVideoListerV1.zip?dl=0

From there on, simply unzip it, read the "INSTRUCTIONS.txt" file (it's only a few lines) and you'll be good to go!

I've only had 2 evenings to cobble this together, so it's not the prettiest program you've seen, and it only works on Windows so far (if there are any interested Linux users out there I could be bothered to port it...), but hey - it does work.

I'll also take the time tomorrow to upload the source code to GitHub so the more technologically-inclined members can confirm it's not malware (because I realize how shady "Here's my .exe - click it!" sounds, especially since I've only posted a few times on these forums before).
EDIT: Here it is - https://github.com/Surgeon-/YTVideoListerSolution

If this helps you, then great! If not, thanks for reading anyway.
- Coalmeister
Nick on Twitch TV / YouTube: Doktor_Naibmys
Nematocyst
Profile Joined October 2017
United States164 Posts
March 08 2019 21:39 GMT
#2
Though it's possible AfreecaTV has some reason for intentionally doing this, I think it's much more likely the issue hasn't yet reached the relevant person.

Anyway, I applaud your efforts. Thanks.
rockslave
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Brazil318 Posts
March 08 2019 21:39 GMT
#3
Nice!

On March 09 2019 05:52 Coalmeister wrote:
I'll also take the time tomorrow to upload the source code to GitHub so the more technologically-inclined members can confirm it's not malware (because I realize how shady "Here's my .exe - click it!" sounds, especially since I've only posted a few times on these forums before).


This! Also maybe someone could fork it and port it to Linux.
What qxc said.
superjoppe
Profile Joined December 2004
Sweden3694 Posts
March 09 2019 02:24 GMT
#4
Am I missing something?
I usually click the link in the Small Vod Thread, and then just click the F key for full screen. I have never got spoiled that way. There are also browser extensions that make YouTube more minimal so it hides thumbnails etc.
errol1001
Profile Joined April 2008
454 Posts
March 09 2019 02:59 GMT
#5
On March 09 2019 11:24 superjoppe wrote:
Am I missing something?
I usually click the link in the Small Vod Thread, and then just click the F key for full screen. I have never got spoiled that way. There are also browser extensions that make YouTube more minimal so it hides thumbnails etc.


Yeah, I think what you're missing is that we don't all use the Small Vod Thread. I'm always chomping at the bit for the newest ASL. The Afreeca youtube channel is the quickest source. Usually, sc2links.com will get it pretty quickly, and that's what I check first. If it isn't there yet, I'll go to youtube. I don't generally go to the small vod thread these days.
Coalmeister
Profile Joined July 2017
Serbia22 Posts
March 09 2019 12:28 GMT
#6
Added GitHub link to the opening post.
Nick on Twitch TV / YouTube: Doktor_Naibmys
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
March 09 2019 14:02 GMT
#7
What's worse is that although I get the links from the Small VOD thread, I saw the thumbnail with the spoiler as a recommended video when I'm on YouTube...
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
Coalmeister
Profile Joined July 2017
Serbia22 Posts
March 09 2019 14:30 GMT
#8
@JieXian Well if that's the case, the only solution I can think of is not using a browser/YouTube app at all (since they all have "recommended" sections). If you're on Windows, there's an excellent player called VLC (you've probably heard of it) that can stream video directly off of YouTube (HowTo: https://vintaytime.com/watch-youtube-videos-without-browser/).

And since VLC can be run from the command line, maybe there's an opportunity for app integration...
Nick on Twitch TV / YouTube: Doktor_Naibmys
rockslave
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Brazil318 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-09 16:27:37
March 09 2019 16:27 GMT
#9
On March 09 2019 11:24 superjoppe wrote:
Am I missing something?
I usually click the link in the Small Vod Thread, and then just click the F key for full screen. I have never got spoiled that way. There are also browser extensions that make YouTube more minimal so it hides thumbnails etc.


If your Internet connection is crap like mine, you'll see the thumbnail on fullscreen
What qxc said.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ByuN 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 4368
Shuttle 1199
Bisu 1136
Stork 541
BeSt 402
EffOrt 363
Mini 354
actioN 285
Rush 265
Horang2 257
[ Show more ]
hero 134
Mind 131
Light 113
910 88
Zeus 74
Mong 73
Snow 58
Shinee 54
sorry 53
Barracks 45
JYJ 37
Bale 25
Killer 24
Sexy 24
ToSsGirL 23
Terrorterran 23
HiyA 21
yabsab 15
scan(afreeca) 14
zelot 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5592
qojqva2859
Dendi1317
Counter-Strike
fl0m3547
Fnx 710
Other Games
singsing2560
TKL 1018
hiko945
ceh9349
Livibee340
XBOCT285
Hui .223
Liquid`VortiX170
Beastyqt165
XaKoH 159
Trikslyr23
Chillindude15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 11
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2790
Other Games
• Shiphtur89
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2m
TaKeTV 67
Replay Cast
7h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 2m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
19h 2m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.