• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:50
CEST 20:50
KST 03:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12037 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 50

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 488 Next
XsebT
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Denmark2980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-29 19:06:27
November 29 2011 19:03 GMT
#981
On November 30 2011 03:48 upperbound wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2011 03:30 XsebT wrote:
On November 30 2011 00:48 upperbound wrote:
What's the best PvT early game composition to combat 2 fact? I've been f**king up a lot against this build lately, either just getting pushed back as I patrol micro my goons and having vultures lay mines behind me, or getting wrecked in a straight up fight. I usually open 1 gate goon with early range into 2 gate robo, but holding off the initial aggression just seems so hard without probe pulls.

A few notes first:
You don't patrol micro goons! You hold position micro and target fire!
You say you open "1gate goon" and follow up with 2 gate robo. It does make sense, but 1gate goon and 2gate robo are two seperate builds in bw lengua. What it sounds like you're doing as an opening is just called "2gate robo". Just to avoid further confusion. The 1gate goon focuses on an early expo with minimal units to defend, while the 2gate robo is economically disadvantageous against something like a rax FE, but is actually perfect to hold strong FDs and 2facts.
Now, I've already started answering your question a bit by saying that 2gate robo is perfect against 2fact. So since you somehow lose anyway it must come done to you either doing the build wrong or miscontrolling your units. The latter seems most reasonable to me, so that's what I'll assume since you didn't post a replay.
With a 2gate robo, you must be offensive. Wait for the terran to push out with... something. If the terran has rax FE'd you can apply heavy pressure to the bunker, but that's really it (don't try runbys or silly stuff like that unless you're absolutely certain you will be successful). I know you actually asked about composition, but I wanted to just clear the fact that you need to be offensive with a 2gate robo! But when you see the push come out, don't just run away! The 2fact push is generally stronger straight up against your goons, but you're not gonna engage it straight up! You need to slowly micro while retracting to your base (avoid mines). Pick off anything you can get to make the push as weak as possible - especially vultures and tanks of course!
What you should generally do back in your base as soon as you see the 2fact is: add gates depending on how pressured you are, build a shuttle.
When the push is finally at your front door, what you have to do is very hard to explain because there are so many possible ways a terran push can be setup, but here are some tips:
1. Calm down! Panic in this situation and you're dead.
2. Get goon out of siege range with your goons, while still maintaining a sort of concave so the vultures don't fuck them up.
3. You now rely on zealots and zealot+shuttle to break apart the contain. You can send the zealots forward to clear mines or even do a few mine drags if the terran overextends himself.
4. Wait until the last possible second to push out, but make sure to send your army in a controlled fashion: zealots first, shuttle-zealots on the tanks furthest away/furthest away from vultures.
Yeah, that's at least how I do it.

Sorry, I should have been more specific -- I do 1 gate goon --> expo, then add a 2nd gate and robo after expo with more gates as income allows, and legspeed + templar tech if i don't die to 2fact or fake double. Due to walls, I have a tough time determining whether or not I can safely expo, and I was wondering once the expansion goes up what the correct reaction to 2fact is. Is 1 gate goon fe just too greedy against 2fact? Do I need to transition into, say, quick 3 or 4 gate when I see the pushout and delay with my goons?

It's possible I just need to micro goons better, but wasn't sure if this was the best use of my time at the D/D+ level. I also wasn't sure if posting a replay was appropriate in Simple Q/Simple A thread.

Personally, I would much rather have people post replays in here than have a thread pop up every time somebody has a replay to show.
2fact does kind of counter 1gate expo, so you essentially just have less stuff early on, but on the flipside your economy should allow for more units to be made a bit later in the push/contain. It's about finding a balance and again really waiting until that last second to break out!

Btw, putting down an early nexus without known what the terran is up to is very risky! Maybe try to keep up your goon production until you have an idea of what the terran is doing.
화이팅
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
December 02 2011 08:00 GMT
#982
I remember a game: it was right before a proleague finals where the commentators were saying "yaaaa Nexusss!"
Also, the song that played when the winner won was "open your eyes."
Does anyone know which game this is?
☺
Absurd Bunny
Profile Joined June 2011
168 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-03 19:02:58
December 03 2011 19:00 GMT
#983
So I'm still a huge noob going into the Brood War scene, and I find out that it's hard to do things like antihack for the mac...

Is there an antihack for the mac that I can use?
If I buy broodwar, can I join Iccup servers and the fish server (if that is I get good)?
Where is a server with no hackers and many people to find games?


Thanks

Edit: I'm also going to play Protoss in BW, what is a good hotkey layout to start with? I can't put any building on 5, because the lategame I'm going to have units there...
Phyrigian
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
New Zealand1332 Posts
December 03 2011 19:12 GMT
#984
--- Nuked ---
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
December 04 2011 01:07 GMT
#985
I have been playing on Brain but for some reason every time I join a game, it downloads the map even though I have already downloaded it before. I have no such problem on Fish or ICCUP, just Brain does this. Can anyone tell me why and how to fix this? Also, which games modes are unranked on Fish and Brain? is it just like iccup where one on one is only ranked?
LightningStrike
Profile Joined February 2011
United States14277 Posts
December 04 2011 02:05 GMT
#986
Is Fast Nuke vs Zerg condiered cheese because a friend of mine told me it was cheese and i want to try to use in my tvz's
May the next light shine/Former #1 Alliance LoL fan/ Current Teamliquid LoL Fan
RJGooner
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2091 Posts
December 04 2011 02:47 GMT
#987
How do you defend dt rush when you go 1 rax expand vs Toss? I'm playing on ICCup, I'm D level and every single game I play Protoss I get dt rushed. I
#1 Jaehoon Fan! 김재훈 화팅!
blueblimp
Profile Joined May 2009
Canada297 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-04 03:51:33
December 04 2011 03:51 GMT
#988
On December 04 2011 04:00 Absurd Bunny wrote:
So I'm still a huge noob going into the Brood War scene, and I find out that it's hard to do things like antihack for the mac...

Is there an antihack for the mac that I can use?
If I buy broodwar, can I join Iccup servers and the fish server (if that is I get good)?
Where is a server with no hackers and many people to find games?


I play Brood War on my MacBook, but I dual boot Windows XP to do this (using Boot Camp). I recommend doing this because you can't get antihack for mac and you can't disable mouse acceleration in Mac OS X (last I checked).

Without the antihack launcher, you will still be able to play games on iccup, but the latency will be bad so most people won't want to play you.

Iccup has pretty much no hackers (because of the launcher), and you can find games quickly at the D level if you can host games (which requires configuring the ports on your router).
JMave
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Singapore1806 Posts
December 04 2011 05:10 GMT
#989
On December 04 2011 11:47 RJGooner wrote:
How do you defend dt rush when you go 1 rax expand vs Toss? I'm playing on ICCup, I'm D level and every single game I play Protoss I get dt rushed. I


this is not as straight forward to see. assuming all your timings have been precise and accurate, he should begin his goon barrage when your machine shop is underway or just when you add it. if at this point he does not pressure your bunker with goons, then immediately, you should have your alarms sounding right here.

you should immediately add on an ebay at your natural choke to create more blocks for the dts. if he goes for a dt drop, you must realize that his drop will be much delayed over a normal run-by. also, he will be sacrificing his expansion timing to execute this. so long as you can deflect this, you should be well ahead and get a fast third. do be prepared for fast arbiters. which is why after you add your ebay, a very good follow up is to add your armory and academy as well and move into a few goliaths. this can help you to deflect the shuttle and to be used later on for the arbiter.

the 1 rax expand is quite a complex build and i cannot emphasize enough how much you need to be very crisp with your timings. i have been working on a 1 rax expand article for my bw series that I hope to release sometime this month.
火心 Jealous. I always loved that feeling when I was young. Embrace it.
Retgery
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1229 Posts
December 04 2011 14:39 GMT
#990
I'm having big lag issues with BW. When I first log on it says I have one green bar, but as soon as I play a game it drops right to 5 red bars. I have already done port forwarding 6112-6119. I used the search option but I didn't find anything useful. Can someone help me or link me to a thread that will.
Fall down 7 times, stand up 8.
Phyrigian
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
New Zealand1332 Posts
December 04 2011 18:03 GMT
#991
--- Nuked ---
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
December 04 2011 22:32 GMT
#992
can anyone tell me why i have to keep downloading maps I have already downloaded before and which game modes are unranked on fish and brain? thanks!
jello_biafra
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United Kingdom6642 Posts
December 05 2011 15:41 GMT
#993
On December 05 2011 07:32 Golgotha wrote:
can anyone tell me why i have to keep downloading maps I have already downloaded before and which game modes are unranked on fish and brain? thanks!

Maps can have the exact same name but because it's a very slightly different copy or something you will have to download it again, quite annoying really.

Sorry I don't recall which game modes are ranked/unranked in fish or brain.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions | aka Probert[PaiN] @ iccup / godlikeparagon @ twitch | my BW stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/jello_biafra
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11602 Posts
December 05 2011 16:32 GMT
#994
melee is unranked. one on one is the ladder. On fish you need 30 games to play ladder, and on BrainClan I believe it's 20[?] hours of logged time on Battle.net (just be on the server for 20[?] hours)
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
December 05 2011 20:29 GMT
#995
thank you very much for the answers!
shaggles
Profile Joined October 2011
Poland108 Posts
December 06 2011 15:37 GMT
#996
When in the game, colors suddenly switch to awkward yellow and something. How do I switch it back to normal, without leaving the game?
I play the Chess of Computer Age
jello_biafra
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United Kingdom6642 Posts
December 06 2011 16:08 GMT
#997
On December 07 2011 00:37 shaggles wrote:
When in the game, colors suddenly switch to awkward yellow and something. How do I switch it back to normal, without leaving the game?

Are you using Windows 7? If so there's a fix for it but I don't recall exactly where it is, have a look in these threads and they should help you.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=93382
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=86258

If you're not on Windows 7 then it can be problems with your graphics card, you might have to update the drivers, I remember having to do that once.

Also, try simply alt+tabbing in and out and that might fix it.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions | aka Probert[PaiN] @ iccup / godlikeparagon @ twitch | my BW stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/jello_biafra
therockmanxx
Profile Joined July 2010
Peru1174 Posts
December 06 2011 16:11 GMT
#998
For problems related to macs, antihacks, color problems...
There are other thread for that use the search option u lazy
Plzzzz
Tekken ProGamer
shaggles
Profile Joined October 2011
Poland108 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-06 16:32:07
December 06 2011 16:18 GMT
#999
Are you using Windows 7

This is an Windows XP, and graphic card might be little outdated. Alt-tabbing does not solve the problem. The reason I am asking is, I have seen people streaming, having the same error a the beginning of the game, and suddenly everything was going back to normal. So I wonder, whether there is any "clickable" solution. I am using fullscreen mode.

On December 07 2011 01:11 therockmanxx wrote:
For problems related to macs, antihacks, color problems...
There are other thread for that use the search option u lazy
Plzzzz


I entered "color problem" in TL search, 5 rows returned, 2 of them are about Win7, one is completly unrelated, remaining two require shutting down program and my post states clearly
without leaving the game
.
Which was the case there as we were hosting and obs-ing the remote game. Thank you for understanding.
I play the Chess of Computer Age
Keyboard Warrior
Profile Joined December 2011
United States1178 Posts
December 07 2011 02:02 GMT
#1000
I need an antihack for mac? Ive searched everywhere, nothing works. Thanks
Not your regular Keyboard Warrior ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 488 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1174
TKL 409
IndyStarCraft 278
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1174
ByuN 482
TKL 409
IndyStarCraft 278
Reynor 237
EmSc Tv 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 29253
Calm 2528
Shuttle 362
Mini 172
White-Ra 144
firebathero 95
Mong 59
scan(afreeca) 18
soO 13
Sacsri 6
[ Show more ]
ZZZero.O 4
Dota 2
Gorgc11268
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3599
Liquid`Hasu490
MindelVK7
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2321
fl0m2091
FrodaN1737
summit1g1022
olofmeister842
B2W.Neo788
Khaldor448
Beastyqt294
crisheroes169
Livibee164
Mew2King72
ToD58
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick461
BasetradeTV180
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 13
EmSc2Tv 13
angryscii 10
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 28
• Adnapsc2 11
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach57
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• blackmanpl 22
• 80smullet 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV589
Other Games
• imaqtpie1174
• Shiphtur606
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
10m
BSL Open Qualifier
10m
OSC
4h 10m
Replay Cast
4h 10m
OSC
17h 10m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.