• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:24
CEST 05:24
KST 12:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8206 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 42

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 40 41 42 43 44 488 Next
NationInArms
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1553 Posts
October 11 2011 22:50 GMT
#821
On October 12 2011 01:43 dementrio wrote:
in tvt, what is the right way to react to an early mine contain and get some map control back before he can start rallying tanks in front of my nat? Also, if I open with vultures myself, how do i transition out of it? it seems to me that starting tank production leaves you vulnerable since he'll have more vultures.


Before I say anything, I'm D. What I've found to be really good against my mine contains is when the opponent goes wraiths or dropships. Wraiths can scout, harass enemy base, harass contain, and are effective early game in large numbers. Dropships can also be used for harass and break contains too. I would recommend those two units. Also, you can use your own vults (since they don't activate enemy mines) and use them to plant mines across the map and at the enemy base. Turrets and scan are also good to find mines and take them out. Alternatively you can walk a marine across the map and the mines that pop up can be taken out by tanks. Goliaths are also effective at taking out mines and vults, even when there's a lot of mines popping up.
BW for life | Fantasy, MMA, SlayerS_Boxer | Taengoo! n_n | "Lelouch vi Britannia commands you! Obey me, subjects! OBEY ME, WORLD!" | <3 Emi
Snipinpanda
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1227 Posts
October 11 2011 23:40 GMT
#822
On October 12 2011 06:37 duncan.mc wrote:
So I want to start REALLY focusing on mechanics. My favorite aspect of BW is the feeling I get when my fingers and hands are executing commands quickly and precisely on screen, not so much any kind of epic strategy or deeply thought out build order. I'd like to get good enough to play the keyboard like a piano and eliminate all of the suboptimal hand movements I can, so I ask you:

What are the best resources for improving mechanics?

So far I've come across
Day[9] Podcasts - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=89581
FPVODs - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=272381 (and many other sources such as BNet Attack, etc)
Day[9] Daily #252 - http://blip.tv/day9tv/day-9-daily-252-secrets-of-hotkeys-apm-and-mouse-movement-4730506

Are there other reputable sources for teaching mechanics? Anything at all would be useful.

Also, in terms of FPVODs, which pro (specifically Protoss) is considered the most mechanically sound that I should study?

Slightly more involved question but I don't think it warranted its own thread.
Thanks!


I'd suggest not studying FPVODs because those tend to be extremely hard to follow. Replays are a much better resource.

You can get them from here:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=213316
and here:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=222082

Those are somewhat outdated in terms of modern times, but they should still be very relevant to how people play on iccup.

Good protosses to study are probably Bisu?(I say question mark cause he might be too good), Horang2 for base placement, Jangbi/Stork. In general, it's kinda hard to study mechanics, but the most visible part, namely builds and base placement is quite easy to get from replays.
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-12 00:13:28
October 12 2011 00:08 GMT
#823
On October 12 2011 06:37 duncan.mc wrote:
So I want to start REALLY focusing on mechanics. My favorite aspect of BW is the feeling I get when my fingers and hands are executing commands quickly and precisely on screen, not so much any kind of epic strategy or deeply thought out build order. I'd like to get good enough to play the keyboard like a piano and eliminate all of the suboptimal hand movements I can, so I ask you:

What are the best resources for improving mechanics?

So far I've come across
Day[9] Podcasts - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=89581
FPVODs - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=272381 (and many other sources such as BNet Attack, etc)
Day[9] Daily #252 - http://blip.tv/day9tv/day-9-daily-252-secrets-of-hotkeys-apm-and-mouse-movement-4730506

Are there other reputable sources for teaching mechanics? Anything at all would be useful.

Also, in terms of FPVODs, which pro (specifically Protoss) is considered the most mechanically sound that I should study?

Slightly more involved question but I don't think it warranted its own thread.
Thanks!



I know exactly what you mean.. for a long time the majority of the joy I got out of the game was in seeing how fast i could play.

What I used to do was set myself up against 3 zerg ai opponents and give myself handicaps like, no bunkers, no pulling the workers, no mech openings. I would do my standard tvz bo... micro really hard against the big midgame atk that the ai does, and then move out and kill them all the while trying as hard as i could to keep my money down and manage my army well.


However, while this can really improve your execution speed of macroing and 1a2a3aing, it doesnt help you much with split second strategic decision making which is a huge part of apm that only becomes more significant as the game progresses. Ultimately you need to play a lot vs real people and study your reps to improve your split second decision making as well as your apm. If you can record your games, reviewing your own VODs can be very useful in revealing the bad tendencies in your multi-task.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
Mottz
Profile Joined September 2010
Portugal101 Posts
October 12 2011 00:12 GMT
#824
A good hotkey setup is the best foundation to develop your mechanics in.
You should really brainstorm about it and watch reps with mini launcher plugin to get the hotkeys used.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
October 13 2011 02:42 GMT
#825
Is there a program I can use to switch my hotkeys? I want to play P but pressing P to make probes and pylons is EXTREMELY annoying. All programs I found are out of date.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
duncan.mc
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States231 Posts
October 13 2011 02:52 GMT
#826
On October 13 2011 11:42 Peterblue wrote:
Is there a program I can use to switch my hotkeys? I want to play P but pressing P to make probes and pylons is EXTREMELY annoying. All programs I found are out of date.


I do know of a program that can kinda work around that, but I believe any key changing is considered cheating. I'd request that you don't do it and just work on that 0p9p8p 'til it becomes ezpz.
djm858
Mr. Bean
Profile Joined October 2009
82 Posts
October 13 2011 17:57 GMT
#827
On October 13 2011 11:42 Peterblue wrote:
Is there a program I can use to switch my hotkeys? I want to play P but pressing P to make probes and pylons is EXTREMELY annoying. All programs I found are out of date.

Hey,

i had that problem too since i played terran for my whole life and theres absolutely no way for me to get used to that damn p-key.I could give you a file where both of them are changed to s,cant remember the program i used though.

But as said,it may be considered cheating.I dont ladder and mostly play with a few friends who knows about it,so its no big deal,but you better dont use it for tournaments or laddering.

Just let me know if you wanna have it.
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
October 13 2011 18:30 GMT
#828
On October 14 2011 02:57 Mr. Bean wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2011 11:42 Peterblue wrote:
Is there a program I can use to switch my hotkeys? I want to play P but pressing P to make probes and pylons is EXTREMELY annoying. All programs I found are out of date.

Hey,

i had that problem too since i played terran for my whole life and theres absolutely no way for me to get used to that damn p-key.I could give you a file where both of them are changed to s,cant remember the program i used though.

But as said,it may be considered cheating.I dont ladder and mostly play with a few friends who knows about it,so its no big deal,but you better dont use it for tournaments or laddering.

Just let me know if you wanna have it.


It's not "maybe" cheating. It is cheating in BW.

Bind your nexus to 8,9,0.

0p0p0p0p0p0p get used to that. That's the only way I could get over that ridiculous stretch.
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
Mr. Bean
Profile Joined October 2009
82 Posts
October 13 2011 19:13 GMT
#829
Honestly,i dont have any interest in this conversation,anyone can have his own opinion regarding this.I myself play a game the way i want to,not the way the game wants me to play it..BTW,there isnt even a rule against it on icc.

If its cheating for you,fine,i dont care.
fencer
Profile Joined October 2011
122 Posts
October 13 2011 19:43 GMT
#830
Please have a look at this screenshot I just took:
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/0e86f82d_highg.jpg

Does that count as "high ground" for the dragoons, giving them the same advantage as if they were firing down a ramp?
Disc Golf is Awesome! Thought I'd throw that out there =)
Bwenjarin Raffrack
Profile Joined November 2008
United States322 Posts
October 13 2011 20:34 GMT
#831
On October 14 2011 04:43 fencer wrote:
Please have a look at this screenshot I just took:
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/0e86f82d_highg.jpg

Does that count as "high ground" for the dragoons, giving them the same advantage as if they were firing down a ramp?


Yes. You can see how the hydralisks' attacks are missing and being placed forward of the dragoons. It may not look quite right since backwards and widened ramps weren't exactly intended by the original map editor, but that's what it is.
I'm not as thunk as dreople pink I am.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
October 13 2011 22:10 GMT
#832
On October 14 2011 04:43 fencer wrote:
Please have a look at this screenshot I just took:
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/0e86f82d_highg.jpg

Does that count as "high ground" for the dragoons, giving them the same advantage as if they were firing down a ramp?

How do you look only from your point of view?
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
CaffeineFree-_-
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States712 Posts
October 13 2011 22:15 GMT
#833
On October 14 2011 07:10 Peterblue wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2011 04:43 fencer wrote:
Please have a look at this screenshot I just took:
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/0e86f82d_highg.jpg

Does that count as "high ground" for the dragoons, giving them the same advantage as if they were firing down a ramp?

How do you look only from your point of view?

Above the minimap click on the eye and uncheck the opponents vision
We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
October 14 2011 04:23 GMT
#834
On October 14 2011 07:15 CaffeineFree-_- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2011 07:10 Peterblue wrote:
On October 14 2011 04:43 fencer wrote:
Please have a look at this screenshot I just took:
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/0e86f82d_highg.jpg

Does that count as "high ground" for the dragoons, giving them the same advantage as if they were firing down a ramp?

How do you look only from your point of view?

Above the minimap click on the eye and uncheck the opponents vision

-.- Thanks man! I've been playing for years and never realized.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
whatusername
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada1181 Posts
October 14 2011 11:39 GMT
#835
its standard in PvZ while forge expanding to plop down 2 cannons if you dont scout zerg in time right?
im gay
Mottz
Profile Joined September 2010
Portugal101 Posts
October 14 2011 12:43 GMT
#836
On October 14 2011 20:39 whatusername wrote:
its standard in PvZ while forge expanding to plop down 2 cannons if you dont scout zerg in time right?

If you dont double scout yes, to be safe, because if its a 9pool and you went for 1 cannon or nexus-cannon-cannon, you just die.

My advise is to send 2 scouts on 4 player maps, 1 after the pylon and 1 after the forge, this way, for example on FS, both scouts reach the 3rd and 4th unscouted bases at the same time, and right in time to scout 9p or overpool.
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-14 13:00:07
October 14 2011 12:59 GMT
#837
is it more economic to do a 2x cannon before nex or 2x scout?
The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
Mottz
Profile Joined September 2010
Portugal101 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-14 13:13:46
October 14 2011 13:13 GMT
#838
On October 14 2011 21:59 sabas123 wrote:
is it more economic to do a 2x cannon before nex or 2x scout?

In my opinion 2x scout is far superior, specially in ladder where you have absolutely no idea what opening the zerg is gonna do, double scout lets you always identify overpool from 9pool, in time to go Nexus-cannon-cannon, instead cannon-cannon-nexus, which is a major advantage.

Also it gives you the change to consistently be safe in the case of a 4/5 pool.
fencer
Profile Joined October 2011
122 Posts
October 14 2011 13:46 GMT
#839
On October 14 2011 05:34 Bwenjarin Raffrack wrote:Yes. You can see how the hydralisks' attacks are missing and being placed forward of the dragoons. It may not look quite right since backwards and widened ramps weren't exactly intended by the original map editor, but that's what it is.

Thanks!
Disc Golf is Awesome! Thought I'd throw that out there =)
Sayle
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom3685 Posts
October 14 2011 16:42 GMT
#840
On October 14 2011 02:57 Mr. Bean wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2011 11:42 Peterblue wrote:
Is there a program I can use to switch my hotkeys? I want to play P but pressing P to make probes and pylons is EXTREMELY annoying. All programs I found are out of date.

i had that problem too since i played terran for my whole life and theres absolutely no way for me to get used to that damn p-key.


I see people say this a lot and it really confuses me. 0p9p8p and bp for pylons are both extremely comfortable for me. What fingers are you using? I use my left hand for both and move my hand to the right side of the keyboard. 098 are middle-ring-ring finger and 'p' is index finger. Feels really nice and fast. For pylons, I shift my hand so that my pinky is on 'b' and my index finger is on 'p'. Requires practically no stretching and once you get used to it, you can shift your hand to the right location without even looking at your keyboard.
Prev 1 40 41 42 43 44 488 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 236
NeuroSwarm 182
FoxeR 31
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3487
Leta 1844
Bale 61
Shine 17
Icarus 5
Other Games
summit1g8062
JimRising 579
WinterStarcraft436
ViBE144
Mew2King18
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick657
BasetradeTV195
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta20
• Light_VIP 19
• Letter1412
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo740
Other Games
• Scarra1056
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 36m
Patches Events
11h 36m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 36m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 36m
OSC
19h 36m
OSC
1d 8h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.