• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:42
CEST 21:42
KST 04:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8359 users

Saying Goodbye to ASL English - Page 6

Forum Index > BW General
744 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 38 Next All
Lazyer
Profile Joined August 2011
United States401 Posts
March 03 2021 04:12 GMT
#101
Sad news... was really excited for s11 too. I hope they reconsider for s12, but I'll still be watching the korean cast I guess (not that I can understand it at all...)

Many thanks to Tastosis for heavy lifting the english casts all these years. I certainly won't enjoy the casts as much as I did with their commentary.
Dante08
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Singapore4189 Posts
March 03 2021 04:17 GMT
#102
On March 03 2021 12:36 cRoSsy wrote:
What a sad news to hear.
Its been my honor to watch ASL with some great casters: Artosis, Tasteless etc.

Just wanna throw some thoughts on this decision.

Afreeca has been running ASL at a loss. There's a rumor in Korean BW scene the reason why Afreeca still helps BW scene is because the CEO of Afreeca is a big fan of BW, which is true. However, I believe since so many people still donate lots star balloons to the Korean streamers, Afreeca wants this scene to be alive longer. Games like LOL, PUBG have many more viewers than BW, but most BW viewers are over 20 years old, so they donate more than other games. But still, it is not as big as other games.

Most foreign streamers stream on Twitch. In order to bring foreign community over to Afreeca, AfreecaTV has been donating prizepool to NASL / Nation wars. They also opened a few LA lans. In business perspective, it is also understandable that they dont want to support anymore, since nothing comes back to them even if they do stuff at a loss.

Just my thoughts, but its very sad and disappointing to hear their decision.


From what I know BW is constantly top 5 in afreeca viewership and sometimes 2nd, losing only to LoL. It's not as big as LoL but it's still one of the most popular games in Korea.
Dante08
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Singapore4189 Posts
March 03 2021 04:22 GMT
#103
On March 03 2021 12:53 Waxangel wrote:
Well, it didn't make sense for AfreecaTV to provide a product that was heavily consumed through YOUTUBE.

Though, I have to say, it sucks that they couldn't just keep on an official English stream on AfreecaTV only, even if they had to shut down the YouTube option for obvious business reasons. That seems like the obvious step to trying to get more international users to migrate to your platform, instead of just killing the official stream entirely.

Hopefully the community casts on AFTV do well enough so that they consider bringing back an official English stream, even if it's on AFTV only.


Interesting thought, did they actually shut down the YouTube option? They will still be posting the VODs to YouTube afterwards right?

Also if Afreeca could bother to update their pile of crap foreign website maybe more people will watch on Afreeca instead of YouTube.
meegrean
Profile Joined May 2008
Thailand7699 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-03 04:28:19
March 03 2021 04:27 GMT
#104
WTF? ASL is the only e-sports tournament I still watch.
Brood War loyalist
Chessz
Profile Joined August 2010
United States644 Posts
March 03 2021 04:27 GMT
#105
Damn dude. This is a bummer.
0neheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States92 Posts
March 03 2021 04:30 GMT
#106
This is extremely disappointing. I strongly recommend Afreeca reconsider this decision, as there is a significant contingent of non-Korean BroodWar fans.

It's possible that current methods to monetize this group (e.g. activities directly on afreecatv.com, which is incomprehensible to non-Koreans) are insufficient. However, I'm certain there's large enough demand to justify English casting given some creativity around monetization. After all, you're getting hundreds of thousands of views on Youtube for English ASL.
IMLyte
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada714 Posts
March 03 2021 04:30 GMT
#107
WTF, this is sad fucking day for StarCraft. The decision makes no sense, ASL had solid english viewership on YouTube.
I'ma show you how great I am ~ Muhammed Ali
Wonk
Profile Joined March 2017
546 Posts
March 03 2021 04:32 GMT
#108
Damn it, this isn't what I wanted to hear. Going from ASL11 announcement to this is terrible. I really hope we can continue on some how, either afreeca can be made to reconsider or we can 3rd party it somehow.
MineraIs
Profile Joined September 2020
United States846 Posts
March 03 2021 04:33 GMT
#109
guess I'll just start watching ping pong. . . .
✯ [ twitch.tv/MrMineraIs ] ✯ [ Check out my Maps: https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/612442-official-maps-by-minerals ] ✯
sntct
Profile Joined February 2018
100 Posts
March 03 2021 04:37 GMT
#110
On March 03 2021 11:11 AfreecaTVGlobal wrote:
Dear Fans,

It’s unfortunate for us today to announce that the ASL will no longer be supported in English.

It has been the most exciting adventure for us to share the ASL with fans all over the world.
We thank you for all of your love and support over the years.

The ASL will continue and can be watched at afreecatv.com/afstar1.

Communities and English casters are still allowed, and encouraged, to broadcast the ASL to their own fans through our clean feed on their AfreecaTV Channels.
If you are interested, please contact us here!

Thank you,
AfreecaTV


Hello, after Coronavirus ends, bring back ASL English Cast OK?
Hazard17
Profile Joined September 2020
6 Posts
March 03 2021 04:37 GMT
#111
.....So...
HotsnDots
Profile Joined March 2021
1 Post
March 03 2021 04:43 GMT
#112
Something to point out that I haven't yet seen.

Starcraft was made in America. The game would simply not exist without its English creation first. This is SC's history in raw form.

AfreecaTV is a multi million dollar streaming platform.

People who are throwing out " It's just business Hurrrrr" don't get that they could if they wanted too. They simply don't.
And that is a slap into the face of the legacy of this game. It doesn't matter if they took this game and made it their own with a culture that supported young kids no lifing the game for most of their lives, do you know what my parents would have done on my farm growing up if I told them i wanted to "main" a computer game? I cant even.

NOT TO MENTION people like Artosis/Tastless who took extreme risk moving to Korea and dedicating their professional lives basically to the E-sports of a computer game. I wonder if Artosis would have had four kids if he knew a few years after all these companies he dedicated his life too and worked his ass off for would shaft him for a pittance of their bottom line.
NOT TO MENTION Tasteless, who doesn't get the same viewership on twitch etc who will be hurting EVEN MORE. I'm actually infuriated for them.

you do you AfreecaTV, but don't act like money was the supreme bottom line. Protoss mains the whole lot of you, I sense no honor.

User was banned for this post.
nicrone
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia9 Posts
March 03 2021 04:47 GMT
#113
Sad times
Rimasuta
Profile Blog Joined August 2017
United States3 Posts
March 03 2021 04:49 GMT
#114
Long time lurker, but just wanted to say I’m devastated by this decision
브루드 워가 영원히!
fredchuckdave
Profile Joined March 2021
2 Posts
March 03 2021 04:49 GMT
#115
On March 03 2021 13:12 Plume wrote:
Sad news... was really excited for s11 too. I hope they reconsider for s12, but I'll still be watching the korean cast I guess (not that I can understand it at all...)


I was mentally preparing for this, watching ASTL isn't half bad if you've watched all 10 ASL seasons (and the Dabang Team Battle), you can even cast it for yourself when you start seeing what's going on etc. If you're good at casting you might realize that zerglings and mutalisks will be built in ZvZ for example.
skycycle
Profile Joined April 2016
Netherlands36 Posts
March 03 2021 04:51 GMT
#116
Afreeca please reconsider this decision, we need ASL in English!
Mar Sara Separatist
MineraIs
Profile Joined September 2020
United States846 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-03 05:31:13
March 03 2021 04:56 GMT
#117
Posting your sad comments in this thread will likely not be seen by afreeca company.

I would suggest posting on their afreeca profile with your stories here:

https://bj.afreecatv.com/afstar1/post/69355213
✯ [ twitch.tv/MrMineraIs ] ✯ [ Check out my Maps: https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/612442-official-maps-by-minerals ] ✯
Kuks
Profile Joined March 2018
43 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-03 05:03:31
March 03 2021 05:02 GMT
#118
I am not a camera person, a feature of phones I wish at times like these I wish I used more and had more experience with. I am so upset with myself for not taking better or more pictures.

[image loading]

I have been looking forward to seeing Artosis and Tasteless casting in Afreeca's new building, guess I never will. Tearing up thinking I saw their last live audience cast of greatest game ever made.
MinixTheNerd
Profile Joined July 2019
200 Posts
March 03 2021 05:02 GMT
#119
This is truly heart-breaking news, I understand that they might want to cut costs during the pandemic but as a fan of both StarCraft games I would be okay with them downsizing the English cast to just 1 commentator while still covering both tournaments. That way we still get coverage and the casters can alternate.
ox.tQ
Profile Joined November 2010
800 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-03 05:12:19
March 03 2021 05:03 GMT
#120
I came back to StarCraft after my friend PrimaOne persuaded me to watch ASL Season 9 last year. Watching Artosis and Tasteless cast ASL got me into the game again. Before I knew it, I was logging online to play, reactivating my friendly clan, creating a discord server, starting a fun showmatch series and trying to contribute to the wonderful foreign Brood War community. That's the effect Arty and Nick had on me and most likely many others.

ASL you have been very good to the foreign community. But you have also been very fortunate to have such a dedicated and talented English casting duo, not to mention a faithful fan base outside of Korea. I do sincerely hope a solution can be found to correct this disappointing situation for both communities.
https://www.twitch.tv/TeamThinkQuickTTV *** https://trovo.live/TeamThinkQuickTTV *** https://play.afreecatv.com/axtqttv
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 38 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 561
ProTech158
UpATreeSC 84
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16645
Calm 3365
Mini 419
Mind 85
910 65
soO 43
Dota 2
Gorgc5466
canceldota60
monkeys_forever0
Counter-Strike
fl0m2874
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4236
Other Games
FrodaN990
Beastyqt522
olofmeister339
Liquid`Hasu306
Khaldor258
Livibee188
C9.Mang0170
IndyStarCraft 131
ZombieGrub57
QueenE55
BRAT_OK 31
MindelVK7
[ Show 21 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 31
• 80smullet 21
• FirePhoenix13
• Michael_bg 1
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2924
• WagamamaTV374
League of Legends
• Nemesis1648
Other Games
• imaqtpie922
• Shiphtur689
• Scarra480
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 19m
Big Brain Bouts
14h 19m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
21h 19m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 19m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
Patches Events
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.