Brood War is Peer-to-Peer (P2P) meaning you connect to your opponents, not to a central server when in a game.
*Unless none of the players in a game can NAT properly in which case a Blizzard server is in fact used, and losing connection to it drops you from the game. (Does not apply to 1.16)
You will notice this icon and message:
+ Show Spoiler +
Turn Rate (TR)
Higher TR = Fast unit response ie: the time it takes to respond when you issue a click/command to the unit actually moving/responding, with higher chance of lag if connection between you and opponent(s) is not good
Lower TR = Slower unit response, better lag
Chart posted by SC Developer Grant Davies outlining response times and their corresponding TR with respect to low/high/extra:
TR Low High Extra
24 125 167 208
20 150 200 250
16 188 250 313
14 214 286 357
12 250 333 417
10 300 400 500
8 375 500 625
So these are pretty much equivalent:
TR 24 high = TR 20 low
TR 20 high = TR 16 low
TR 24 Extra = TR 16 low
UNIT SIZE / DAMAGE TYPE
Understanding unit size/damage type will help you realize why some units do good against others.
: Normal weapons are equally effective against all types of units.
: Concussion/Plasma weapons do 50% damage against Medium units and 25% against Large units.
: Explosive weapons do 50% damage against Small units and 75% against Medium units.
* Spider Mines: Small Unit / Explosive Damage with Spash
"Does this mean Mutas only take 50% damage to Goliaths?"
Yes it does.
"Then why does it feel like Goliaths counter Mutas?"
Cause goliaths are cheaper, less gas dependent and thus more economical to produce.
- Buildings are essentially Large Units
- Some buildings have armor, Sunken Colony has 2 armor.
HIGH GROUND / COVER
^ That was printed in the original sc booklet that came with the game. That information is flat out WRONG. You can test it yourself, high ground hit percentage is actually just 50%
Some doodads don't actually provide cover and some high ground is not true high ground (like the 3rd base on sylphid)
- 9h is essentially an obsolete and useless build, it is completely dominated by 10h since you get an extra drone and the timing for the completion of pool/hatch is pretty much identical
- Ghost sight range upgrade is just that - it is for sight/vision ONLY. It does not increase attack range. (I see people upgrading this in UMS like bunker defense, don't do it, it's completely useless when you have full map vision already)
- Eggs are strong, high armor, Cocoons are NOT. So while you can morph a hydra into a lurker egg to give it a boost, morphing a muta into a guard/devourer doesn't do shit, in fact it's worse since cocoon is a large unit.
- Sunken colonies LOSE HP when completed. A regular colony is 400 hp, a sunken colony is 300 hp. When you are attacking a morphing colony, often times you will see pros stop hitting the colony when it is at 100hp, this is because any additional hits would be better spent hitting zerglings/whatever else is attacking you. Once that colony is done, that 100hp turns into 1hp and you can finish it off with 1 hit.
- Unit Limits, extended or original? This only comes into affect when the game is maxed out, units like the valkyrie won't fire properly and sometimes freeze up. Very important to have this on extended for most UMS games (EUD maps will have it on original by default to enable special properties) But for something like Desert Strike, if you have it on extended, valks will actually fire.