• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:57
CEST 10:57
KST 17:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6351 users

Build Order Calculator for Brood War?

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
[[Starlight]]
Profile Joined December 2013
United States1578 Posts
December 27 2013 11:48 GMT
#1
Looking for a Build Order Calculator for BW. You know, something that will tell you how long it takes to execute such-and-such a build.

B4 anyone asks, yep, I did use the Search function here on TL, and I've searched Google extensively as well. Came up goose eggs all around. Found BOCs for Starcraft 2 very easily, but none for BW. Augh.

I know such a thing exists for BW because I used to use one back when I played BW in '99 or '00. But I don't have the comp it was on anymore, nor do I recall where I saw said BOC.

A little help here? Much appreciated. Btw, great site.





User was warned for being hilarious
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
December 27 2013 11:57 GMT
#2
I plan on programming one after I finish StarServer, but at the moment I don't think there is one.
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
December 27 2013 13:12 GMT
#3
That doesn't seem to difficult to make. Birdie being awesome as always will allow me to be a lazy programmer outside the work place.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
traceurling
Profile Joined December 2012
United States1240 Posts
December 27 2013 15:09 GMT
#4
I think most people either
Just run their build in game with a timer
Or
Paper and pencil and Liquipedia
"Appreciate the things you have before they become the things you had."
[[Starlight]]
Profile Joined December 2013
United States1578 Posts
December 27 2013 15:20 GMT
#5
On December 27 2013 20:57 Birdie wrote:
I plan on programming one after I finish StarServer, but at the moment I don't think there is one.

That's so odd, because there WAS one, 'back in the day'. A good one too, as I remember it.

If you do decide to make one, pls keep us apprised on your intentions/progress. And a hearty 'thank you' for even considering such a task, from myself and many others, I'm sure.


User was warned for being hilarious
EchOne
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States2906 Posts
December 27 2013 16:50 GMT
#6
There is something like that by the name of Evolution Forge, but it doesn't really generate practical builds, just builds that get x in the least amount of time.
面白くない世の中, 面白くすればいいさ
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-27 21:49:27
December 27 2013 21:48 GMT
#7
On December 27 2013 22:12 BisuDagger wrote:
That doesn't seem to difficult to make.

It's pretty difficult to make unless you know how to do evolutionary computation. Happily the paper I'm doing at uni right now covers it next month so I should be capable of getting it done

What I plan on doing is making it allow you to set goals for different times, e.g. I want 6 zlings at 3 minutes, 2 sunkens at 5 minutes, 11 mutalisk as soon as possible afterwards. Then it will calculate the best way to achieve those as efficiently as possible.
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
[[Starlight]]
Profile Joined December 2013
United States1578 Posts
December 28 2013 08:42 GMT
#8
One other Q for Birdie:

Will it be cross-platform? I have both a PC and a Mac. I know a lot of ppl who are Mac-only (I'm here in the Silicon Valley).


User was warned for being hilarious
AleXoundOS
Profile Joined January 2011
Georgia458 Posts
December 28 2013 09:58 GMT
#9
On December 28 2013 17:42 [[Starlight]] wrote:
One other Q for Birdie:

Will it be cross-platform? I have both a PC and a Mac. I know a lot of ppl who are Mac-only (I'm here in the Silicon Valley).



Also people use GNU/Linux.
If he uses QT or wxWidgets it will have good chance to be cross-platform.
https://bwapi.github.io - An API for interacting with Starcraft: Broodwar (1.16.1)
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
December 28 2013 10:43 GMT
#10
I'll be developing it on Linux with the idea to be released on at least Windoze and Linux. If I can, I'll try get it to work on Mac too, although I don't have one to test it on.
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
[[Starlight]]
Profile Joined December 2013
United States1578 Posts
December 28 2013 13:05 GMT
#11
On December 28 2013 19:43 Birdie wrote:
I'll be developing it on Linux with the idea to be released on at least Windoze and Linux.

If I can, I'll try get it to work on Mac too, although I don't have one to test it on.

Sounds cool Birdie, do your best. OS X users are ppl too.


User was warned for being hilarious
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
December 29 2013 15:10 GMT
#12
On December 28 2013 06:48 Birdie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2013 22:12 BisuDagger wrote:
That doesn't seem to difficult to make.

It's pretty difficult to make unless you know how to do evolutionary computation. Happily the paper I'm doing at uni right now covers it next month so I should be capable of getting it done

What I plan on doing is making it allow you to set goals for different times, e.g. I want 6 zlings at 3 minutes, 2 sunkens at 5 minutes, 11 mutalisk as soon as possible afterwards. Then it will calculate the best way to achieve those as efficiently as possible.

I'm gosu with data structures and genetic AI. Now I feel challenged to make this lol.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
December 29 2013 19:20 GMT
#13
awesome stuff!
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
December 29 2013 21:44 GMT
#14
There are 4 variables at play:

1. Worker Production
2. Rate of Mineral/Gas gathering
3. Constant production of Depot/Pylon/Overlord to not get supply blocked.
4. Build/upgrade/unit making timing

Essentially this calculator will have to simulate a single person playing BW to minimize the time it takes to construct the necessary unit composition and amount.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
December 29 2013 22:41 GMT
#15
On December 30 2013 06:44 Xiphos wrote:
There are 4 variables at play:

1. Worker Production
2. Rate of Mineral/Gas gathering
3. Constant production of Depot/Pylon/Overlord to not get supply blocked.
4. Build/upgrade/unit making timing

Essentially this calculator will have to simulate a single person playing BW to minimize the time it takes to construct the necessary unit composition and amount.

There would be a lot more variables in play if I ever program this
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
[[Starlight]]
Profile Joined December 2013
United States1578 Posts
December 31 2014 10:38 GMT
#16
So Birdie, it's been a year... I assume maybe you thought better of doing this?

If so, no worries, it doesn't sound easy.



User was warned for being hilarious
chrisolo
Profile Joined May 2009
Germany2611 Posts
December 31 2014 10:46 GMT
#17
He stopped being involved in the BW community afaik and he choose not to finish his server, so I think the chance of him programming this is below 1 %.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - aka cReAtiVee
[[Starlight]]
Profile Joined December 2013
United States1578 Posts
December 31 2014 10:48 GMT
#18
Bummer.
User was warned for being hilarious
ArmadA[NaS]
Profile Joined January 2014
United States350 Posts
December 31 2014 18:01 GMT
#19
Here's the old program you're thinking about (latest version is for 1.161).
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
December 31 2014 19:02 GMT
#20
Happy birthdays

I don't think birdie stopped being involved. He has made lots of posts in the BW section. Just gave up on birdie server lol

Thanks for finding the old program o.o I remember seeing this thread and remembering that it already exists, but I didn't have it anymore.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 783
actioN 681
BeSt 289
Killer 195
Mong 162
Dewaltoss 118
sorry 59
sSak 41
ZergMaN 36
Aegong 31
[ Show more ]
Bale 29
NotJumperer 24
yabsab 14
Noble 10
Counter-Strike
byalli680
Other Games
summit1g9749
olofmeister984
Happy284
crisheroes190
Sick169
KnowMe100
Pyrionflax83
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick753
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos916
• Stunt453
Other Games
• WagamamaTV108
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 3m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2h 3m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 3m
Replay Cast
14h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 2h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.