• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:45
CEST 05:45
KST 12:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War395.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10160 users

Jangbi retires - Page 20

Forum Index > BW General
937 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 47 Next All
Tminus____
Profile Joined September 2011
249 Posts
August 29 2013 09:13 GMT
#381
Thank you for the memories ^^
cmon gimme a break im to old for this shit
CursivE
Profile Joined February 2012
Australia317 Posts
August 29 2013 09:13 GMT
#382
JangBi...
MC || HuK || MMA || Squirtle || TLO || Sea || HerO || MarineKing || MVP || NesTea
Torpedo.Vegas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1890 Posts
August 29 2013 09:15 GMT
#383
On August 29 2013 17:17 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2013 16:47 theking1 wrote:
On August 29 2013 16:34 skylarr wrote:
This breaks my heart. Players are leaving the game one after another. Congrats blizzard!


i'm sure this is blizzards fault.


It's Blizzard's fault for killing professional BW and forcing Kespa to switch to SC2 even though not all players enjoy the game.


Lets be honest here, yes Blizzard drove one of the, or the final nail in, but BW was not the healthy young esport it once was prior or during the whole legal battle. Remove SC2 from the equation all together and do you think BW would have maintained itself in light of the rise of other competitive esports like World of Tanks, Dota 2, LoL, etc?

What of the effects from the betting scandal, or lack of expansion and outreach to a global audience? I'm not arguing quality of the experience for viewers and players here, I'm just pointing out it was a bit too comfortable in its niche position to have continued in a commanding capacity for too much longer in face of having to deal with actual competition to its esport's status.

There are a lot of factors including Blizzard's handling of the situation for both BW and SC2 to place the fault ENTIRELY on their shoulders.

Big names are leaving, but its not like there is a shortage of players. Would there be as much of an uproar about the state of the scene if a BW B-teamer retired from SC2 instead of someone like Jangbi? Maybe the expected Elephant's effects didnt upset the state of the room as much as people had anticipated.

Sayle
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom3685 Posts
August 29 2013 09:19 GMT
#384
Great, now who am I supposed to cockblock.
SkelA
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Macedonia13090 Posts
August 29 2013 09:20 GMT
#385
On August 29 2013 17:38 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2013 17:37 SkelA wrote:
Why is this in BW forum and not in SC2 ? Last time i checked he played SC2


I think it's funny that you consider yourself a KHAN fan and then make a post like this...


I was a KHAN fan till 2012, the date when pro BW died i was done with BW/SC2.

Nothing to do with my tag, just its weird to see no news in SC2 section while its in BW forum and he havent played BW for over a year .

GL to Jangbi in life. He was my 2nd favorite protoss after Stork obviously.
Stork and KHAN fan till 2012 ...
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12059 Posts
August 29 2013 09:21 GMT
#386
On August 29 2013 17:51 Pontius Pirate wrote:
November 11th, 2012: "SC2 is a new challenge for me. There are many new things in SC2 that are different from BW. I'm beginning to develop a new passion that I didn't feel while playing BW. It's great that Korean players now get the opportunity to go abroad and experience many new things, and I want to attend foreign events if possible, too."

January 21st, 2013: "I found out how to properly play SC2 WoL. Ever since I found out exactly how I'm supposed to play a macro game, I've even been enjoying my practices. If there was ever a time in the beginning where I was feeling forced to practice, then right now I feel the complete opposite. Since I am putting in the effort to work hard, I am having fun and I think I'm making good results."

April 10th, 2013: "After winning my final BW championship, I've been on a decline ever since my transition to HotS. However, I'm sure that's just one of many roads that I'll be able to take. It's time for me to start rising."

In a video interview with Khaldor on the same day, he expressed resignation and frustration that he wouldn't get many opportunities to travel abroad, as Samsung only contracted the team out for events inside Korea. He also stated that he wished he could switch to Zerg, but he felt an obligation to the fans to stay as Protoss, which he found to be the race least suitable to his playstyle, and that the changes in HotS actually encouraged more defensive play from Protoss. While he clearly emphasized how much easier SC2 was than BW, he also specifically stated "even as a Brood War pro, I played Starcraft 2 as a hobby when I had time. They're both really fun games."

April 13th, 2013: "I feel proud of the fact that I was responsible for the team's 200th victory today. I really hope I'm still here when we grab our 300th victory." (I just thought that this showed his commitment to his legacy)

Guys, I hate to sound like I've got a tinfoil hat on, but I really don't think this is all about being bored with SC2. I think it's very likely that that is partially to blame, and that he feels Protoss isn't terribly fun, but I think the story is greatly oversimplifying his reasons for quitting. He's from the farthest city in SK from Seoul, so he probably doesn't get to see his family terribly often. He mentioned wanting to see his sister's wedding and his (potential) niece. He's got military service coming up in a year, and probably has only so much time he can get better. SC2 is a less remunerative career in Korea these days, and he probably was looking at his contract negotiations, comparing them with the years in which he was nearly top banana, and thinking "gee, this sucks!". Perhaps he felt that he was currently hitting a wall, much as Snute explored the psychology of in his recent blog. All of these were probably (except maybe hitting a wall, which is purely conjecture) on his mind and contributing to him not continuing his career.


It's pretty interesting seeing all the interview questions at once like that.

I'll miss you Jangbi. I mean I'm getting bored with SC2 now as well but the one thing I enjoyed were watching my favourite players play and although you were KHAN scum and beat Fantasy too often, I still liked you T_T
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
MasterOfPuppets
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Romania6942 Posts
August 29 2013 09:22 GMT
#387
On August 29 2013 18:15 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2013 17:17 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
On August 29 2013 16:47 theking1 wrote:
On August 29 2013 16:34 skylarr wrote:
This breaks my heart. Players are leaving the game one after another. Congrats blizzard!


i'm sure this is blizzards fault.


It's Blizzard's fault for killing professional BW and forcing Kespa to switch to SC2 even though not all players enjoy the game.


Lets be honest here, yes Blizzard drove one of the, or the final nail in, but BW was not the healthy young esport it once was prior or during the whole legal battle. Remove SC2 from the equation all together and do you think BW would have maintained itself in light of the rise of other competitive esports like World of Tanks, Dota 2, LoL, etc?

What of the effects from the betting scandal, or lack of expansion and outreach to a global audience? I'm not arguing quality of the experience for viewers and players here, I'm just pointing out it was a bit too comfortable in its niche position to have continued in a commanding capacity for too much longer in face of having to deal with actual competition to its esport's status.

There are a lot of factors including Blizzard's handling of the situation for both BW and SC2 to place the fault ENTIRELY on their shoulders.

Big names are leaving, but its not like there is a shortage of players. Would there be as much of an uproar about the state of the scene if a BW B-teamer retired from SC2 instead of someone like Jangbi? Maybe the expected Elephant's effects didnt upset the state of the room as much as people had anticipated.


Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think it could have competed with LoL. As for WoT and DotA 2 that's debatable. (please bare in mind WC3 and DotA 1 are still quite popular in China and to a somewhat lesser extent Korea)

But I do think it would have maintained some respectable numbers for a few more years. It certainly would have done better than SC2 in Korea.

Whatever the case, I would have liked to see Blizzard not meddling in it and letting it just run its course. Let it retire with dignity, instead of force it be put to sleep in favor of a successor that has thus far been very much unsuccessful in Korea.

When you're 60, do you want to try and live 15-20 more years, or would you rather someone just barge into your house and kill you randomly?
"my shaft scares me too" - strenx 2014
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
August 29 2013 09:24 GMT
#388
On August 29 2013 18:15 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
Lets be honest here, yes Blizzard drove one of the, or the final nail in, but BW was not the healthy young esport it once was prior or during the whole legal battle. Remove SC2 from the equation all together and do you think BW would have maintained itself in light of the rise of other competitive esports like World of Tanks, Dota 2, LoL, etc?


I don't follow the SC2 scene but from what I've heard, it doesn't sound like SC2 is doing too great either against these games? I have a hard time imagining that BW would have done worse. BW has an extremely loyal fanbase and a long established history in Korea.
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
August 29 2013 09:26 GMT
#389
On August 29 2013 18:20 SkelA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2013 17:38 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
On August 29 2013 17:37 SkelA wrote:
Why is this in BW forum and not in SC2 ? Last time i checked he played SC2


I think it's funny that you consider yourself a KHAN fan and then make a post like this...


I was a KHAN fan till 2012, the date when pro BW died i was done with BW/SC2.

Nothing to do with my tag, just its weird to see no news in SC2 section while its in BW forum and he havent played BW for over a year .

GL to Jangbi in life. He was my 2nd favorite protoss after Stork obviously.

this was posted in SC2 news and someone moved it to the BW forums, so yea
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
MasterOfPuppets
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Romania6942 Posts
August 29 2013 09:26 GMT
#390
On August 29 2013 18:24 writer22816 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2013 18:15 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
Lets be honest here, yes Blizzard drove one of the, or the final nail in, but BW was not the healthy young esport it once was prior or during the whole legal battle. Remove SC2 from the equation all together and do you think BW would have maintained itself in light of the rise of other competitive esports like World of Tanks, Dota 2, LoL, etc?


I don't follow the SC2 scene but from what I've heard, it doesn't sound like SC2 is doing too great either against these games? I have a hard time imagining that BW would have done worse. BW has an extremely loyal fanbase and a long established history in Korea.


Its history, its legacy and its sheer depth as a game would have carried it forward. Again, most likely not a serious competitor to LoL, but it still would be doing quite well.
"my shaft scares me too" - strenx 2014
WhX
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany778 Posts
August 29 2013 09:30 GMT
#391
Jangbi...
Hopefully he's going to stream BW. There's still SRT as well, so I don't mind this too much I guess. But still...

Good luck Jangbi, and best of luck in your future endeavours!
TaShadan
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany1982 Posts
August 29 2013 09:33 GMT
#392
On August 29 2013 14:21 BisuDagger wrote:
Can't wait to see him stream BW. SRT awaits him. And Brave needs an ally for ex khan players. Poor Stork though is all alone.


This.
Total Annihilation Zero
Kergy
Profile Joined December 2010
Peru2011 Posts
August 29 2013 09:34 GMT
#393
On August 29 2013 18:26 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2013 18:24 writer22816 wrote:
On August 29 2013 18:15 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
Lets be honest here, yes Blizzard drove one of the, or the final nail in, but BW was not the healthy young esport it once was prior or during the whole legal battle. Remove SC2 from the equation all together and do you think BW would have maintained itself in light of the rise of other competitive esports like World of Tanks, Dota 2, LoL, etc?


I don't follow the SC2 scene but from what I've heard, it doesn't sound like SC2 is doing too great either against these games? I have a hard time imagining that BW would have done worse. BW has an extremely loyal fanbase and a long established history in Korea.


Its history, its legacy and its sheer depth as a game would have carried it forward. Again, most likely not a serious competitor to LoL, but it still would be doing quite well.


Do you really think so? I remember people worrying about how the last OSL and PL were delayed because no one wanted to sponsor them. It kinda seems like OGN was to forced to make the switch to attract sponsors, even if those deals were only based on the promise that ''BW's sequel'' would eventually reinvigorate the declining korean esports scene.

If only LoL had been released some months earlier... maybe it could've saved BW, much like it seems to be doing for SC2 right now.
Everyday Girl's Day~!
Sitze
Profile Joined January 2013
Netherlands38 Posts
August 29 2013 09:36 GMT
#394
Good luck, JangBi. Thanks for all the games !!
Save water, drink beer.
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
August 29 2013 09:36 GMT
#395
On August 29 2013 18:33 TaShadan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2013 14:21 BisuDagger wrote:
Can't wait to see him stream BW. SRT awaits him. And Brave needs an ally for ex khan players. Poor Stork though is all alone.


This.
i hope he puts his year break to good use

But still, sad to see him retire.
BadAim
Profile Joined September 2011
Norway879 Posts
August 29 2013 09:44 GMT
#396
This really sucks, but I do understand his decision.

Im just waiting for Bisu, Fantasy, Stork to deliver the same message...
My esports soul belongs to: Boxer | White-Ra | Daigo Umehara | Nazgul | IceFrog
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
August 29 2013 09:49 GMT
#397
Oh, the storms in SRT *ZerO grin*.. wait, I should be sad.

Some caller on ITG just discussed how protoss in SC2 doesn't feel like protoss in BW which is closer to the terran in SC2. Perhaps if Jangbi tried terran. Ugh, nevermind..
If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
paradoxOO9
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom1123 Posts
August 29 2013 09:50 GMT
#398
Of all the Brood War players to retire he was the one of the people I would have expected to do it the least, he was actually doing pretty damn well. Good luck with whatever he does in future
Garnet
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
Vietnam9056 Posts
August 29 2013 09:50 GMT
#399
he's mad Blizzard gives 0 fuck about Carrier.
PineappleLumpsToss
Profile Joined July 2010
New Zealand2434 Posts
August 29 2013 09:53 GMT
#400
Jangbang, nooooooooo! I'll miss you my Toss brother. All the best in retirement.
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 47 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings52
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 172
PiLiPiLi 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3544
ViBE136
Bale 29
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm205
Counter-Strike
taco 585
Other Games
summit1g7057
JimRising 590
WinterStarcraft471
C9.Mang0281
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1033
BasetradeTV180
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP115
• davetesta29
• practicex 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1120
• Shiphtur429
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
6h 15m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
8h 15m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 15m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 15m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.