• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:25
CEST 09:25
KST 16:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8050 users

[Q] The most influential progamers of all time? - Page 2

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
buhhy
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1113 Posts
March 30 2011 15:57 GMT
#21
On March 31 2011 00:37 rigelq wrote:
Jaedong not 5 stars? He completely changed how zvz is played, he helped build modern zvp and his his 2 hatch zvt changed that match up completely. I think he should totally be 5


On March 31 2011 00:50 e_i_pi_1_0 wrote:
I'm not sure JD should be rated only 4 stars, given that he basically brought about modern ZvZ, brought out the 3-hatch spire -> 5 hatch hydra build for ZvP, and helped to set trends in ZvT as well (2 hatch muta, anyone?)

For EffOrt, I guess he brought the 4 base turtle style in ZvP?


Cause Flash > JD :D

Though, has JD contributed as much as/more than Flash?
Crunchums
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States11144 Posts
March 30 2011 15:58 GMT
#22
if flash > jd is the issue the solution is to put flash at 6 stars not jaedong at 4
: 3
brood war for life, brood war forever
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
March 30 2011 15:59 GMT
#23
I have an opinion on the matter, like Oov, sAviOr and Flash being the main ones, but importantly enough Midas deserves a rank.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
KaveX
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany59 Posts
March 30 2011 16:01 GMT
#24
On March 31 2011 00:59 corumjhaelen wrote:
I have an opinion on the matter, like Oov, sAviOr and Flash being the main ones, but importantly enough Midas deserves a rank.

You're probably right, even I heard of him. Should he be added to the 3 star group?
SC2: EU Master League (Season 1: 2900 Points) | Fan of White-Ra, ClouD, HasuObs, MarineKing, BoxeR
HitoriTomoyo
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada264 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-30 16:22:16
March 30 2011 16:10 GMT
#25
EDIT: How did I miss Nal_rA. Also moved a few players around.

My small two cents:

Five Star (yes they are in order):
BoxeR
iloveoov
Jaedong
FlaSh (tentative)
Bisu
NaDa
sAviOr

Four Star:
Nal_rA
Stork
FanTaSy


Stork's influence on the PvT MU should not be overlooked, and he tends to bust out some odd rush builds on the random occasion. He's a very influential P player and shouldn't be that low personally. I'm not sure if he should be in the Five Star group or not since he's always playing second fiddle to Bisu, even though he's been handing Bisu's ass to him for a while in recent memory.

Shouldn't Kal be somewhere on this list too?
buhhy
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1113 Posts
March 30 2011 16:15 GMT
#26
On March 31 2011 01:10 HitoriTomoyo wrote:
My small two cents:

Five Star (yes they are in order):
BoxeR
iloveoov
FlaSh (tentative, REALLY tentative)
Bisu
sAviOr
Jaedong
NaDa

Four Star:
Stork
FanTaSy

Stork's influence on the PvT MU should not be overlooked, and he tends to bust out some odd rush builds on the random occasion. He's a very influential P player and shouldn't be that low personally. I'm not sure if he should be in the Five Star group or not since he's always playing second fiddle to Bisu, even though he's been handing Bisu's ass to him for a while in recent memory.

Shouldn't Kal be somewhere on this list too?


Pfft, you can't be tentative about Flash when you have JD and Bisu listed there as well.

Put Nal_rA under 4star as well.
HitoriTomoyo
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada264 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-30 16:22:44
March 30 2011 16:18 GMT
#27
On March 31 2011 01:15 buhhy wrote:
Pfft, you can't be tentative about Flash when you have JD and Bisu listed there as well.

Put Nal_rA under 4star as well.


I can't believe I missed Nal_rA.

I'm only tentative about FlaSh's position over Bisu and Jaedong; in terms of overall influence, yes FlaSh is currently more influential than Bisu or Jaedong, but I'm considering the overall influence the players have had over the years.

Jaedong and Bisu's influence on the metagame is clear and solid, but beyond innovating/perfecting the FlaSh build, I can't think of anything that FlaSh has accomplished to revolutionize/change the metagame on the level that Jaedong and Bisu have. Same goes for FlaSh and sAviOr (though I'm not sure if I should place sAviOr higher than FlaSh since all I know is that sAviOr popularized 3 Hatch Muta vT and that was pretty much it, though I remember him being a beast in ZvP but I don't think he ever bought anything innovative to that MU).
KaveX
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany59 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-30 16:27:27
March 30 2011 16:23 GMT
#28
I changed my personal list once again. I completely removed the four-star-group, moving Jaedong, Nal_rA and YellOw to the 5 star group. Added Midas and Kal because I know very little about SC:BW but know them both, there's probably a reason for that.

My new personal list (people inside a group not in order):
+ Show Spoiler +
5 Stars - The Very Best
Lim Yo-hwan (BoxeR)
Lee Yun-yeol (NaDa)
Park Sung-joon (July)
Lee Young-Ho (Flash)
Kim Taek-Yong (Bisu)
Ma Jae-yoon (sAviOr)
Choi Yeon-Sung (iloveoov)
Lee Jae-Dong (Jaedong)
Kang Min (Nal_rA)
Hong Jin-Ho (YellOw)

3 Stars - The Very Good But Slightly Less Influential Ones
Park Jung Suk (Reach)
Park Yong-Wook (Kingdom)
Song Byung-gu (Stork)
Oh Yeong Jong (AnyTime)
Kim Dong-Soo (Garimto)
Seo Ji-hoon (XellOs)
Kim Jung Woo (EffOrt)
Jung Myung Hoon (Fantasy)
Lee Jae Hoon (fOru)
Park Tae Min (GoRush)
Jun Sang Wook (Midas)
Kim Ku Hyun (Kal)


Of course, this is only the list I'm going to use, I'm not capable of using everyone's feedback. Very interesting read so far, though.
SC2: EU Master League (Season 1: 2900 Points) | Fan of White-Ra, ClouD, HasuObs, MarineKing, BoxeR
SolaR-
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States2685 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-30 16:27:40
March 30 2011 16:27 GMT
#29
GARIMTO and Stork should be 5 star imo. Edit: Also maybe Grrrr.
Ryo
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
8787 Posts
March 30 2011 16:27 GMT
#30
On March 31 2011 01:23 KaveX wrote:
I changed my personal list once again. I completely removed the four-star-group, moving Jaedong, Nal_rA and YellOw to the 5 star group. Added Midas and Kal because I know very little about SC:BW but know them both, there's probably a reason for that.

My new personal list:
+ Show Spoiler +
5 Stars - The Very Best
Lim Yo-hwan (BoxeR)
Lee Yun-yeol (NaDa)
Park Sung-joon (July)
Lee Young-Ho (Flash)
Kim Taek-Yong (Bisu)
Ma Jae-yoon (sAviOr)
Choi Yeon-Sung (iloveoov)
Lee Jae-Dong (Jaedong)
Kang Min (Nal_rA)
Hong Jin-Ho (YellOw)

3 Stars - The Very Good But Slightly Less Influential Ones
Park Jung Suk (Reach)
Park Yong-Wook (Kingdom)
Song Byung-gu (Stork)
Oh Yeong Jong (AnyTime)
Kim Dong-Soo (Garimto)
Seo Ji-hoon (XellOs)
Kim Jung Woo (EffOrt)
Jung Myung Hoon (Fantasy)
Lee Jae Hoon (fOru)
Park Tae Min (GoRush)
Jun Sang Wook (Midas)
Kim Ku Hyun (Kal)


Of course, this is only the list I'm going to use, I'm not capable of using everyone's feedback. Very interesting read so far, though.

The list you have is a list of who's famous/popular but not necessarily a list of who's influential.
영원히 엠비씨게임 히어로 팬.
KaveX
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany59 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-30 16:33:56
March 30 2011 16:30 GMT
#31
Poll: Who of these players is the least influential/successful?

Kal (13)
 
54%

AnyTime (2)
 
8%

XellOs (2)
 
8%

EffOrt (2)
 
8%

fOru (2)
 
8%

Kingdom (1)
 
4%

GoRush (1)
 
4%

Midas (1)
 
4%

Reach (0)
 
0%

Stork (0)
 
0%

Garimto (0)
 
0%

Fantasy (0)
 
0%

24 total votes

Your vote: Who of these players is the least influential/successful?

(Vote): Reach
(Vote): Kingdom
(Vote): Stork
(Vote): AnyTime
(Vote): Garimto
(Vote): XellOs
(Vote): EffOrt
(Vote): Fantasy
(Vote): fOru
(Vote): GoRush
(Vote): Midas
(Vote): Kal



This would be interesting to know for the purpose of my list (I'm aiming to have 20 people in it). Thanks!

//

On March 31 2011 01:27 Ryo wrote:

The list you have is a list of who's famous/popular but not necessarily a list of who's influential.

That's fine with me. As I subsequently clarified in my OP, 'influential' means something else than revolutionizing a matchup for me. I think 'Who should be mentioned in a TV documentary about the history of SC:BW progaming?' really describes it best.

Also, foreigners are a different topic. Of course, I haven't forgotten people like Grrrr... and ElkY.
SC2: EU Master League (Season 1: 2900 Points) | Fan of White-Ra, ClouD, HasuObs, MarineKing, BoxeR
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
March 30 2011 16:41 GMT
#32
On March 31 2011 01:18 HitoriTomoyo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 31 2011 01:15 buhhy wrote:
Pfft, you can't be tentative about Flash when you have JD and Bisu listed there as well.

Put Nal_rA under 4star as well.


I can't believe I missed Nal_rA.

I'm only tentative about FlaSh's position over Bisu and Jaedong; in terms of overall influence, yes FlaSh is currently more influential than Bisu or Jaedong, but I'm considering the overall influence the players have had over the years.

Jaedong and Bisu's influence on the metagame is clear and solid, but beyond innovating/perfecting the FlaSh build, I can't think of anything that FlaSh has accomplished to revolutionize/change the metagame on the level that Jaedong and Bisu have. Same goes for FlaSh and sAviOr (though I'm not sure if I should place sAviOr higher than FlaSh since all I know is that sAviOr popularized 3 Hatch Muta vT and that was pretty much it, though I remember him being a beast in ZvP but I don't think he ever bought anything innovative to that MU).

What.

The person that has been responsible for being at the forefront of trends in TvZ and TvP the past couple of years is Flash. Flash has been the most influential player in the game for years now. As for Savior ZvT is still played with the same general ideas and retains the same rough shape as Savior and his contemporaries left it years ago.
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-30 16:50:39
March 30 2011 16:45 GMT
#33

no offense but this thread is really bad. Few on TL are qualified to know which programers made the biggest differences. This is just basically a list of the most famous players with no explanation to their impact on the scene.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
March 30 2011 16:48 GMT
#34
He introduced a lot of new things, but most of the lasting trends were ones that Flash solidified.
Curu
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada2817 Posts
March 30 2011 16:48 GMT
#35
On March 31 2011 01:45 puppykiller wrote:
fanta made huuuuuge changes to tvz and tvp


You mean iloveoov made huuuuuuge changes to TvZ and TvP and Fantasy used his strategies.
wat
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
March 30 2011 16:54 GMT
#36
On March 31 2011 01:48 Curu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 31 2011 01:45 puppykiller wrote:
fanta made huuuuuge changes to tvz and tvp


You mean iloveoov made huuuuuuge changes to TvZ and TvP and Fantasy used his strategies.


Just cuase random people on TL like to spam oov's name in the comments section to every artical that has to do with fantasy doesn't mean they know anything about what goes on in the skt1 house.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
gongryong
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Korea (South)1430 Posts
March 30 2011 16:54 GMT
#37
7 Stars: GOD OF (BROOD)WAR
JAEDONG!


+ Show Spoiler +
:p
JAEDONG ÜBERBONJWA!
hacklebeast
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5090 Posts
March 30 2011 16:54 GMT
#38
there seems to be a disconnect between the title an the premise. If you want "players who dominated everything and made a name for themselves" than yes, putting every player with 3 or more titles in the 5 star group is a good start. However, when I think influential, I think "who would have made broodwar radically different had they not played?" And the answer is only two, boxer and oov. oov from the "revolutionizing multiple match ups over and over even after retirement" stand point, and boxer from the "there would be no pro BW without me" stand point.

You already have them in the highest bracket, but they are so far more influential than anyone else, that there should be no one else by them.

If you want to classify it as 20 people who would be in a documentary, then I would go with:
the 11 who have won multiple starleauges
the longevity players (yellow, reach, gorush, stork)
grrrr
kim carrier
KeSPA (or if you want a person, the person who organized it/was its first leader)
Maynard
last spot... either another longevity player, or you could argue shark just because of how muta micro is now in nearly every zerg game
Protoss: Best, Paralyze, Jangbi, Nal_Ra || Terran: Oov, Boxer, Fantasy, Hiya|| Zerg: Yellow, Zero
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
March 30 2011 16:55 GMT
#39
Where are Grrr.... and H.O.T.? I suspect they were influential. And Iris the berserker?

And then some dudes like Goodfriend, FBH (influential for a different reason), ChRh, GGPlay, Chojja, Jju, Casy, Pusan? Not sure how "influential" most of these were, just good players I've heard of lol. Pusan was a "neo-3-king" though, and Chojja was top 2 Zergs in the world for a while.
Writer
gongryong
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Korea (South)1430 Posts
March 30 2011 16:56 GMT
#40
On March 31 2011 01:10 HitoriTomoyo wrote:
EDIT: How did I miss Nal_rA. Also moved a few players around.

My small two cents:

Five Star (yes they are in order):
BoxeR
iloveoov
Jaedong
FlaSh (tentative)
Bisu
NaDa
sAviOr

Four Star:
Nal_rA
Stork
FanTaSy


Stork's influence on the PvT MU should not be overlooked, and he tends to bust out some odd rush builds on the random occasion. He's a very influential P player and shouldn't be that low personally. I'm not sure if he should be in the Five Star group or not since he's always playing second fiddle to Bisu, even though he's been handing Bisu's ass to him for a while in recent memory.

Shouldn't Kal be somewhere on this list too?


OMG I love you man!!!
JAEDONG ÜBERBONJWA!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 35m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 165
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 641
HiyA 189
Mong 67
Shine 44
NotJumperer 35
Bale 28
Noble 10
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm194
League of Legends
JimRising 577
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 833
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft769
Other Games
summit1g9118
ceh9403
PiGStarcraft338
Happy245
olofmeister237
Livibee128
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick534
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream507
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH157
• LUISG 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2399
League of Legends
• Lourlo1498
• Rush1407
• Stunt454
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 35m
Afreeca Starleague
2h 35m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
16h 35m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 3h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.