• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:22
CEST 19:22
KST 02:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12934 users

[MSL Spoiler]

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
joohyunee
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
Korea (South)1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-13 23:37:37
July 11 2009 16:28 GMT
#1
Why Calm Will Win The MSL

He might be only #7 in the PR right now, but from what I've seen from him recently, he's a strong Dark Horse to win this MSL. Not many people know this, but Calm is the zerg with the 2nd most wins behind Jaedong in the Proleague with ~40 wins. (he's just been shaded by Jaedong's domination) Since June, he is 10-3, taking down FlaSh (FlaSh has admitted that he's scared to play against Calm, according to the commentators), Mind, Sea, and Zero. It's not so much the record that leads me to believe he can take this OSL, though; it's his playstyle.

What characterizes Calm's play? I can think of Ballsy aggression and creative builds. But it's more a combination of the two, working together to create his greatest weapon: unpredictability. I believe Calm's strongest trait is that he forces open openings in the opponent's play. I don't think he has FlaSh's style of "I know what the other guy's going to do just by feeling it out" and try to abuse a hole in the opponent's play; Calm is different.

He literally rips apart openings in his opponents through 1) Ballsy builds 2) clever mindgame tactics that abuse the opponents' scouting 3) aggression with balls of steel. he attacks where the opponent is most uncomfortable at an uncomfortable timing, thereby disrupting the opponent's timing/overall plan for the game.

Exhibit A: Ballsy Builds


2 Base Hive for the Win? What?

Exhibit B: Mindgame Tactics that abuse opponents' scouting

what you see is not what it seems...

Exhibit C: Aggression with balls of steel

(watch from 7:00)
Fuck your vultures FlaSh, I'm gonna rip you a new one.
Be scared.. be very scared to play me..



(Watch from 9:30)
All-in? I'll force an opening with mutas and make it happen

Most recently... (MSL spoiler) + Show Spoiler +


Calm never faces the metal ball head on but aggressively attacks forGG's base, trading units effectively as mech is weak in small numbers, as well as whittling down forGG's economy down to nothing in 2 waves of hydra attacks. The aggression forces forGG to head home TWICE before forGG could eventually take down Calm's natural. Oh by the way, he's got 2 more bases by that time, so it didn't matter at that point. Why go for hive tech when you can cripple the terran's economy by attacking?


Yes, most of these games are against terran. But he's also shown strong performance against Protoss. Some toss named yoon got his ass handed to him in this game:


Bottom line: Calm will win this MSL. I don't give a crap at who's still in the MSL. I BELIEVE!
SuperArc
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Austria7781 Posts
July 11 2009 16:32 GMT
#2
I agree, Calm doesn't have the crazy APM of by.hero or micro from JD, but he's so smart!

His play is beautiful to watch.
Snow - future of protoss! :) Nada = baller
TwoStep
Profile Joined January 2009
United States294 Posts
July 11 2009 16:34 GMT
#3
I wouldn't mind Calm winning the MSL. Who would he play in the Ro8 assuming the higher seeds win? Flash or Bisu, I think.
Arf
Scaramanga
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Australia8093 Posts
July 11 2009 16:35 GMT
#4
Uhh, all the qualities that you have listed, jd has x2
Loda talked about the fun counter, it's AdmiralBulldog on his natures prophet
Klive5ive
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom6056 Posts
July 11 2009 16:37 GMT
#5
You should have named it something different.
Now you'll get flamed a lot.
By claiming "Calm will Win this MSL" you've joined the sad group of people who predict an unlikely event just so they can claim to be a genius if they get lucky.
(Before someone calls me out; I'm aware I'm in this group ;p)

I really like your analysis though. Calm IS a really smart player, respect to him.
Don't hate the player - Hate the game
Bob123
Profile Joined October 2006
Korea (North)259 Posts
July 11 2009 16:39 GMT
#6
I don't believe, but I hope : ). Nice play!
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-11 16:41:23
July 11 2009 16:40 GMT
#7
Haha no way. I'm not even a Jaedong fan, but even then I think that Calm would get flattened against JD. Not to mention Bisu, and likely fantasy as well.

He really doesn't have a good list of victories against players that are actually good. Sure he beat Flash, but Flash doesn't really deserve to be up there with Jaedong, Bisu, Effort, or even Fantasy(lol i that guy annoys me) at this point. Calm is going to just get smashed when he plays an actual S class player.

also calm vs darkelf on python nuff said

edit: plus all you did was make a list of gimmicky builds that he did
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
disciple
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
9071 Posts
July 11 2009 16:43 GMT
#8
I dont think we really need a new face right now as a champion, this will make the picture even more chaotic. I prefer Jaedong to win everything than Yarnc and Calm or smth like that, although canata for a double will be cool as fuck
Administrator"I'm a big deal." - ixmike88
mog87
Profile Joined October 2008
United States1586 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-11 16:46:23
July 11 2009 16:44 GMT
#9
On July 12 2009 01:40 Fontong wrote:
Haha no way. I'm not even a Jaedong fan, but even then I think that Calm would get flattened against JD. Not to mention Bisu, and likely fantasy as well.

He really doesn't have a good list of victories against players that are actually good. Sure he beat Flash, but Flash doesn't really deserve to be up there with Jaedong, Bisu, Effort, or even Fantasy(lol i that guy annoys me) at this point. Calm is going to just get smashed when he plays an actual S class player.

also calm vs darkelf on python nuff said

edit: plus all you did was make a list of gimmicky builds that he did


I agree with your point about Calm getting smashed when he faces a top player, personally I think Forgg will take the next 2 games, but then you went all crazy and starting saying flash is worse than Effort and Fantasy...so umm dont post while high.

But for me Calm is like luxury+yarnc+brains, but really I dont think hes strong enough to get through a bo5 vs strong competition.
SuperArc
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Austria7781 Posts
July 11 2009 16:45 GMT
#10
On July 12 2009 01:40 Fontong wrote:
Haha no way. I'm not even a Jaedong fan, but even then I think that Calm would get flattened against JD. Not to mention Bisu, and likely fantasy as well.

He really doesn't have a good list of victories against players that are actually good. Sure he beat Flash, but Flash doesn't really deserve to be up there with Jaedong, Bisu, Effort, or even Fantasy(lol i that guy annoys me) at this point. Calm is going to just get smashed when he plays an actual S class player.

also calm vs darkelf on python nuff said

edit: plus all you did was make a list of gimmicky builds that he did


Eh, I would do Calm > fantasy on any day.

but vs Bisu or Jaedong, he has no chance
Snow - future of protoss! :) Nada = baller
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
July 11 2009 16:50 GMT
#11
If you're trying to advertise Calm's skills, I think you probably shouldn't even mention his game against Flash. He played like garbage...I mean, how can you scout a walled in Terran on Outsider and not build a sunken? The only reason he won that game is because Flash handed it to him on a silver platter.
✌
vhallee
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
899 Posts
July 11 2009 16:51 GMT
#12
On July 12 2009 01:35 Scaramanga wrote:
Uhh, all the qualities that you have listed, jd has x2

True. Very true. I do see Calm as a strong contender for the MSL and I like his play a lot but I'm still a bit sceptical.
Marijuana causes amnesia and other things I don't remember.
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
July 11 2009 16:55 GMT
#13
Meh, I think zero is way better than calm right now.
deconduo
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Ireland4122 Posts
July 11 2009 16:55 GMT
#14
You have the outsider game up twice.
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-11 17:07:12
July 11 2009 17:00 GMT
#15
On July 12 2009 01:44 mog87 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2009 01:40 Fontong wrote:
Haha no way. I'm not even a Jaedong fan, but even then I think that Calm would get flattened against JD. Not to mention Bisu, and likely fantasy as well.

He really doesn't have a good list of victories against players that are actually good. Sure he beat Flash, but Flash doesn't really deserve to be up there with Jaedong, Bisu, Effort, or even Fantasy(lol i that guy annoys me) at this point. Calm is going to just get smashed when he plays an actual S class player.

also calm vs darkelf on python nuff said

edit: plus all you did was make a list of gimmicky builds that he did


I agree with your point about Calm getting smashed when he faces a top player, personally I think Forgg will take the next 2 games, but then you went all crazy and starting saying flash is worse than Effort and Fantasy...so umm dont post while high.

But for me Calm is like luxury+yarnc+brains, but really I dont think hes strong enough to get through a bo5 vs strong competition.

Flash is fresh off of a 3 game losing streak to Kal, Calm, and Kwanro. He is only 5-5 in his last ten games. He lost to fucking BACKHO.

Fantasy on the other hand is fresh off a 10 game winning streak, including victories over Kal, Jangbi, Leta, guemchi(who is actually doing very well otherwise i wouldn't include him) and Backho(who flash couldnt beat lololo)

Effort is fucking crazy recently, nuff said.

Wake up and smell the roses. Flash isn't what he used to be. He is the next sea.

Edit: but I think he will actually beat forgg, its sad since I'm a huge fan of oov 2.0, but he just never lived up to his series against JD.
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
July 11 2009 17:01 GMT
#16
Any zerg that rules in ZvT and is good at ZvZ will easily become a monster in ZvP because the MU is easier than the other two.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Too_MuchZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Finland2818 Posts
July 11 2009 17:01 GMT
#17
On July 12 2009 01:34 TwoStep wrote:
I wouldn't mind Calm winning the MSL. Who would he play in the Ro8 assuming the higher seeds win? Flash or Bisu, I think.


MSL Round of 8 brackets (predictions)

(Z)Jaedong vs (T)Canata

(Z)EffOrt vs (Z)Calm

(Z)ZerO vs (Z)Kwanro

(P)Bisu vs (T)Iris

IF IF IF those players advance who already did win first game.
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
July 11 2009 17:04 GMT
#18
Calm is a great player, but there are a lot of great players in this MSL as of now.

He has a shot at the finals if he doesn't face Jaedong before then (I don't know what the brackets look like)...but that's about it.

To whoever mentioned by.hero...that guy is NOT a great player. 500APM can kiss my ass, he needs to both learn to utilize that and relearn the game.
Hello
SuperArc
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Austria7781 Posts
July 11 2009 17:04 GMT
#19
On July 12 2009 01:55 Frits wrote:
Meh, I think zero is way better than calm right now.


Calm is consistent, Zero isn't.
Calm > Zero
Snow - future of protoss! :) Nada = baller
AzureEye
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1360 Posts
July 11 2009 17:09 GMT
#20
I actually think Calm is a really strong player, on par with Effort possibly. He just hasn't his streak like Effort yet but I think he will. But Fantasy or JD will stop Calm from this MSL for sure.
Terrans who whine: http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=107788
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM945
TKL 369
IndyStarCraft 255
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 945
ByuN 420
TKL 369
IndyStarCraft 255
BRAT_OK 41
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 46756
Calm 2958
firebathero 148
actioN 147
Sea.KH 36
Mong 33
ToSsGirL 28
Rock 24
soO 23
Pusan 20
[ Show more ]
scan(afreeca) 19
Aegong 17
Terrorterran 15
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9787
Dendi1121
League of Legends
Reynor206
Counter-Strike
fl0m5425
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King94
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby525
Liquid`Hasu277
MindelVK13
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1784
FrodaN1131
Beastyqt748
B2W.Neo674
Khaldor479
Mlord477
olofmeister458
KnowMe300
crisheroes153
Livibee95
ToD61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick230
BasetradeTV178
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 24
• Reevou 9
• Adnapsc2 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach54
• Azhi_Dahaki19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV547
League of Legends
• Nemesis3350
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1467
Other Games
• Shiphtur713
• imaqtpie328
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 39m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 39m
OSC
5h 39m
Replay Cast
5h 39m
OSC
18h 39m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.