• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:50
CEST 07:50
KST 14:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8035 users

[M] (2) Barrin Wasteland

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
July 13 2012 05:56 GMT
#1
Barrin Wasteland v.0.3
This map is intended for the MOTM ProAm (July) contest.

This map is a work in progress, whether or not it gets picked.

This post is a work in progress, and is being created for the sole benefit of FlashFTW. j/k <3 <3 <3 But seriously, the important stats and such will be edited in at a later time.

This map is published on NA.


Creation Details:
+ Show Spoiler +
Originally, this map was created around the time Barrin had his meltdown and went all FRB on us. XD <3 <3 <3 Yes you saw me there, too. But the point is that he was gonna learn me the knowledge that made his bubble encompass more of the mapping loop chart thingy than me. So, I set down to his challenge to make a 132x100 2 player map, and not to have too much circle syndrome. Well, I did that... sort of. I still needed my funky main choke, and alternate main enterances (including the mother of all backdoors!) just to play around with those things more. So this is my first two player map that Barrin was going to lead me through making a tournament grade winner, but we never got that far -- so now it is up for grabs by an ProAm pro! Grab it while you can!


Map Pics:
+ Show Spoiler +
Overview
(90 degrees)
[image loading]
+ Show Spoiler [science view] +
[image loading]


(Game angle, full map)
[image loading]
+ Show Spoiler [science view] +
[image loading]


Analyzer (for whatever reason certain rocks do not appear in the analyzer images... there are quite a few large vertical and horizontal rocks that appear missing, but you can see they are there from pictures of the actual map)
+ Show Spoiler +

Summary
[image loading]

Rush distances
+ Show Spoiler +

WIP




Map Specifications:
  • Size -- 132x100 playable (152x128 full)
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
Insomni7
Profile Joined June 2011
667 Posts
July 13 2012 06:37 GMT
#2
Too many strait edges in your map! Vary things up a bit and work on the textures. One texture over the entire map just looks bad. also it seems to be a very splittable map which concerns me. The backdoor is an intersting idea, I see how you are trying to create a large wide attack path later in the game, but perhaps you should find a way, like a second layer of destructible rocks or even a mineral patch to ensure that those rocks cannot be broken down in the early game. Also increasing their armor and hitpoints could help. The second set of destructibe rocks don't seem to do much to me.
Never Forget.
BobMcJohnson
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
France2916 Posts
July 13 2012 07:19 GMT
#3
Is this some kind of Dustin Browder fetish or something? :o
Romanes eunt domus
DYEAlabaster
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada1009 Posts
July 13 2012 08:32 GMT
#4
Ok coming here straight from your other map makes it clear you're a relatively new mapper. The most important thing I can tell you is this:

Understand the math before you write a theorem.

What I mean by this is simply that you are trying to be very creative, new, and fresh when approaching maps. However, with a lack of experience (and game theory), this will make your maps a huge mess of unplayability. It's hard to point out flaws because the inherent design decisions are corrupted.

What you should do is take an existing "good" map- Cloud Kingdom, Ohana, Metropolis, Daybreak, Whirwind, etc. and alter it in VERY slight ways. In other words, learn to create Cloud Kingdom, but change the way the ramps work, the position of the fourth, etc.

Once you have a feel for how to create a good map (by copying a good map), new and creative maps will come more freely for you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me, I'm always happy to help ^^
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-13 09:50:18
July 13 2012 09:49 GMT
#5
On July 13 2012 17:32 DYEAlabaster wrote:
Ok coming here straight from your other map makes it clear you're a relatively new mapper. The most important thing I can tell you is this:

Understand the math before you write a theorem.

What I mean by this is simply that you are trying to be very creative, new, and fresh when approaching maps. However, with a lack of experience (and game theory), this will make your maps a huge mess of unplayability. It's hard to point out flaws because the inherent design decisions are corrupted.

What you should do is take an existing "good" map- Cloud Kingdom, Ohana, Metropolis, Daybreak, Whirwind, etc. and alter it in VERY slight ways. In other words, learn to create Cloud Kingdom, but change the way the ramps work, the position of the fourth, etc.

Once you have a feel for how to create a good map (by copying a good map), new and creative maps will come more freely for you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me, I'm always happy to help ^^


Everyone always says that, but I think its better to make bad maps first and then learn from mistakes.

I mean my first published map was 218x218 intended for 1v1, and with that I advanced and look where I am now... oh right -.-
thezanursic
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
5504 Posts
July 13 2012 12:03 GMT
#6
Why is the picture so dark. I can't see shit
http://i45.tinypic.com/9j2cdc.jpg Let it be so!
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
July 13 2012 18:17 GMT
#7
@ Insomni7 -- I think a striaght lined map every once in a while is okay, I could go the other way and say that there are too many jaggedy lined maps. :/ I did want this map to be more boxy, but I could probably fit in a crag here or there and change up the theme of the map a bit to be more fitting of "wasteland". However, I never really got back to this map after the initial layout, and aesthetics come after the layout is complete (more or less). Besides, I was hoping one of the "pros" would have a better idea as to the aesthetical direction.

@ BobMcJohnson -- I know right?!? No, that was the guy who actually made Dustin Browder's face into a map. My inspiration for this map comes more from my days of Warcraft 2 where you sometimes had to use a crapton of sappers to "dig" through the rocks to get to the next goldmine or chop down all of the trees to get to your turtling opponent.

On July 13 2012 18:49 Sea_Food wrote:

On July 13 2012 17:32 DYEAlabaster wrote:
Ok coming here straight from your other comments makes it clear you're a relatively new map reviewer. The most important thing I can tell you is this:

Understand the grammer before you write a dissertation.

What I mean by this is simply that you are trying to be very objective, blunt, and factual when approaching map makers. However, with a lack of pursuasiveness (and tact), this will make your map reviews a huge mess of undesirability. It's hard to hear out thoughts because the inherent communication decisions are corrupted.

What you should do is take an existing "good" map reviewer- Chargelot, ihasaKAROT, FlashFTW, IronManSC, Barrin, etc. and alter their comments in VERY slight ways. In other words, learn to create a Chargelot comment, but change the way the phrases work, the position of the punctuation, etc.

Once you have a feel for how to create a good map review (by copying a good map review), pursuasive and tactful map reviews will come more freely for you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me, I'm always happy to help ^^


Everyone always says that, but I think its better to make bad map reviews first and then learn from mistakes.

I mean my first published map review was "trolololol" intended for superouman, and with that I advanced and look where I am now... oh right -.-


@ DYEAlabaster -- Okay, I had fun with that but seriously, drop the condescending attitude. I'm neither new to TL, nor mapping, nor gaming, nor anything else (yes I've literally done everything :p). I may not have the time a 13 year old can put into his hobby, but neither do I care to explore the territories mapping has already got covered. In the time you took to write that post you probably could have serached my post history and found out my mapping intentions from other posts and decided not to write your comment. (and I know math... I just don't get to do it often enough. :p)

@ Sea_Food -- Sorry you got caught up in the quote redux, but I thought it was funnier that way. XD I think we agree to a certain degree (which I think is rare tbh, XD) -- I'm of the opinion it is better to explore new ideas badly and learn from them than not to try at all (and gain nothing). And boy do I explore badly, no?

@ thezanursic -- Because there is only one texture, and it is a dark texture. If this changes any time soon, you will know I have recently come into unlimited wealth (or the map was picked by a pro in the MOTM contest). Please see the "science view" if you are having trouble making out what's what.
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
Insomni7
Profile Joined June 2011
667 Posts
July 13 2012 18:34 GMT
#8
@ Insomni7 -- I think a striaght lined map every once in a while is okay, I could go the other way and say that there are too many jaggedy lined maps. :/ I did want this map to be more boxy, but I could probably fit in a crag here or there and change up the theme of the map a bit to be more fitting of "wasteland". However, I never really got back to this map after the initial layout, and aesthetics come after the layout is complete (more or less). Besides, I was hoping one of the "pros" would have a better idea as to the aesthetical direction.

Strait edges are ok, but your aesthetics dont promote strait edges. Look at this map. It is a good example of how you can use them. Its just that your whole theme suggests an unkempt wasteland and your edges dont.
Never Forget.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 127
-ZergGirl 86
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1923
910 71
sorry 51
Yoon 39
Bale 32
NotJumperer 18
yabsab 15
ZergMaN 12
Icarus 9
Noble 8
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 669
Reynor20
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox618
Mew2King43
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor126
Other Games
summit1g7524
WinterStarcraft400
PiGStarcraft274
C9.Mang0256
Sick225
Livibee161
ArmadaUGS39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick663
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream199
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2282
League of Legends
• Stunt485
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 10m
Stellar Fest
7h 10m
The PondCast
1d 4h
OSC
1d 7h
Stellar Fest
1d 7h
OSC
1d 18h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.