• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:46
CEST 17:46
KST 00:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10133 users

The Year in StarCraft II: 2011

Forum Index > Sponsored Threads
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
KingOctavious
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States324 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 19:52:45
March 12 2012 10:12 GMT
#1
[image loading]


Update 3/16/12: This past Wednesday I was on Live On Three to talk about the book with djWHEAT, SirScoots, and Slasher. It was a really fun interview, and they all had a lot of positive remarks about the project. Check out the VOD of the interview on the book's site (I come in at roughly the 1:47:45 mark).

Update 4/16/12: I've been out of town for a week, so I'm a little late posting this, but I also recently co-hosted StarCast to talk about the week in SC2 as well as to discuss the book. The guys at SCast had some very nice things to say about TYISC2, and even called it an "untrollable" work--a pretty big compliment for anything produced in the gaming community, for sure. You can listen to the episode here, and if you don't already, you should subscribe to the show on iTunes.

About the Book

As some of you may know, I have been working on a StarCraft II book for about eight months. Now, I'm extremely excited to announce, the book is complete, and it goes on sale today on Amazon and Amazon Kindle (Update: Now available on iBooks and NOOK as well). Additionally, if you can't afford the $12.50 for the printed book or the $5.99 for the ebook, you can download the 100% complete PDF for pay-what-you-want (even if "what you want" is $0.00). It is my goal to make this book as accessible to as many fans as possible, so if those prices don't work for you, pay whatever you're comfortable paying.

The Year in StarCraft II: 2011 is an almanac-style celebration of the story of professional StarCraft II in 2011, and it is the first of what I hope to make an annual publication. At its core, it is a recap of the elements that defined professional SC2 during the year and includes the following:
  • Performance and play style discussions of 50 of 2011's most important StarCraft II players, from Bomber to IdrA to TLO to White-Ra
  • Total win/loss statistics (combined as well as broken down by each major league) for every one of the 280+ players who competed in any post-qualifying DreamHack, GSL, GSTL, IEM, IPL, MLG, NASL, or TSL event throughout the year
  • Discussions of the evolution of the game itself, via patches and ladder/tournament map pool changes throughout the year (remember Blistering Sands??)
  • Overview of the metagame and its development throughout the year for each matchup
  • Miscellaneous statistics highlighting players with the highest win rates, win counts, games played, and other metrics throughout the year
  • Co-edited by Liquid`Sheth!

The Year in StarCraft II: 2011 is written for StarCraft II fans of any caliber. For those who are already well-versed in the scene, this is a telling of the way the year played out. For those who follow the scene more casually, it's a great introduction to the most important aspects of the pro circuit. Finally, while TL and Liquipedia obviously do a great job of recording tournament results and players' performance, The Year in StarCraft II: 2011 is also a quick and easy reference for players' total records per league for the year alone.

I firmly believe in the value of recording the history of professional StarCraft II as it happens, and if this first volume is successful, I promise that not only will I continue publishing subsequent editions but that they will continue to get better and better (even though it's off to a pretty awesome start to begin with!). I wrote this book because this is the kind of work that I wanted to read as a fan of this game. This is the book that I feel StarCraft II deserves.

For more information, please check out the book's website at yearinsc2.com. And again, if nothing else, check out the pay-what-you-want PDF. I honestly believe you will love The Year in StarCraft II.

If you have any questions whatsoever, just leave them below, and I'll be happy to answer. And thank you very much to those who have supported me so far. This could be the beginning of something great.

About Me

I'm KingOctavious, otherwise known as Robert C. Ring in the place people tend to call "real life." I am a writer, a StarCraft II enthusiast, a Zerg player, a life-long gamer, and a sci-fi film expert. My first book, Sci-Fi Movie Freak was published by Krause Publications last year. Within the SC2 community, I am a web content developer for Evil Geniuses, I contribute segments regularly to the StarCast podcast, and I have also contributed to the Good Game esports documentary as an interview transcriber. Naturally, I tend to write on the topics about which I am most passionate. StarCraft II is one of those topics. Over the past eight months, I have poured everything into this book, and I could hardly be happier with the outcome. I hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

But enough about me. Check out The Year in StarCraft II now!
Check out my book, The Year in StarCraft II: 2011, http://yearinsc2.com/ :D:D
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
March 12 2012 10:21 GMT
#2
thanks, I'll check it out right away and buy it, if I like what I see. ;-)
marcesr
Profile Joined June 2008
Germany1383 Posts
March 12 2012 11:02 GMT
#3
Wow I cant say anything about the quality of this but im definitely excited to take a look at it!
fams
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada731 Posts
March 12 2012 11:05 GMT
#4
I $%&*ing loved Blistering Sands </3
http://www.twitter.com/famsytron/
ThatGuyDoMo
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Australia516 Posts
March 12 2012 11:44 GMT
#5
I will be buying this on my Kindle!

:D thanks man, keep it up.

winthrop
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Hong Kong956 Posts
March 12 2012 12:38 GMT
#6
i think free after one week's release is ok for this

but for ppv= = i dont like it

for instance gsl as the best league has free SQ live

but Winter Arena really hurt me

User was warned for this post
Incredible Miracle
Nyarly
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
France1030 Posts
March 12 2012 12:45 GMT
#7
This is sick

MLG does PPV stream for 20$ and nothing for free => I don't watch it
You make an awesome book to sell or to download for free => I'm going to give you 20$
riddi
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom118 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-12 12:48:03
March 12 2012 12:47 GMT
#8
On March 12 2012 21:38 winthrop wrote:
i think free after one week's release is ok for this

but for ppv= = i dont like it

for instance gsl as the best league has free SQ live

but Winter Arena really hurt me


Doesnt really have anything to do with anything... he said there is a option to download it for free aswell!

Interested to take a look, well done!

Edit: maybe i misunderstood what you meant though, apologies.
KingOctavious
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States324 Posts
March 12 2012 13:04 GMT
#9
On March 12 2012 21:38 winthrop wrote:
i think free after one week's release is ok for this

but for ppv= = i dont like it

for instance gsl as the best league has free SQ live

but Winter Arena really hurt me


?? What? I'm sorry, I'm not actually sure what you're talking about.


On March 12 2012 21:45 Nyarly wrote:
This is sick

MLG does PPV stream for 20$ and nothing for free => I don't watch it
You make an awesome book to sell or to download for free => I'm going to give you 20$



Thanks a ton!
Check out my book, The Year in StarCraft II: 2011, http://yearinsc2.com/ :D:D
SCPenguin
Profile Joined February 2011
United States19 Posts
March 12 2012 13:09 GMT
#10
I love having a physical copy of a book so I think I'll buy it off amazon. Thank you very much for doing this and I'll be sure to write a review when I can. Good luck in the future and I look forward to the next installment already
KingOctavious
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States324 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-12 13:15:54
March 12 2012 13:14 GMT
#11
On March 12 2012 22:09 SCPenguin wrote:
I love having a physical copy of a book so I think I'll buy it off amazon. Thank you very much for doing this and I'll be sure to write a review when I can. Good luck in the future and I look forward to the next installment already


Thank you so much. Amazon reviews are extremely helpful to the success of the book.

And I got started on the 2012 volume Friday. I'm just as excited as you are!

EDIT: I'll also just add that I do think that for this book in particular, the physical book is the best version to have. Much easier to flip through, etc., and, honestly, it just looks really good.
Check out my book, The Year in StarCraft II: 2011, http://yearinsc2.com/ :D:D
ShallNoiseUpon
Profile Joined August 2010
United States311 Posts
March 12 2012 13:51 GMT
#12
That's a bit presumptuous of a subtitle.
kAelle_sc
Profile Joined April 2011
287 Posts
March 12 2012 13:53 GMT
#13
thanks for this! I also say a history of starcraft book but it was for brood war and wasn't free...

your book is great, going to check it right away! <3
It's all about the journey, not the outcome.
LeLfe
Profile Joined February 2011
France3160 Posts
March 12 2012 13:56 GMT
#14
going to buy the physical book, just have to wait for it reaching France ^^
looks really nice, congratulations
Writer for Red bull (Fr) and Iron Squid (En/Fr) @ClemLeLfe on twitter
MastaKilla
Profile Joined May 2011
Scotland23 Posts
March 12 2012 13:56 GMT
#15
Truly a beautiful gift both to the Community and to spread the word of Starcraft. Going to have a fine read at this. Will buy physical copy if I really enjoy :>
Opportunities multiply as they are seized. -Sun Tzu
rolfe
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1266 Posts
March 12 2012 14:09 GMT
#16
a starcraft wisden. nice
life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously but there it is. Life finds a way
winthrop
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Hong Kong956 Posts
March 12 2012 14:15 GMT
#17
On March 12 2012 22:04 KingOctavious wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2012 21:38 winthrop wrote:
i think free after one week's release is ok for this

but for ppv= = i dont like it

for instance gsl as the best league has free SQ live

but Winter Arena really hurt me


?? What? I'm sorry, I'm not actually sure what you're talking about.


Show nested quote +
On March 12 2012 21:45 Nyarly wrote:
This is sick

MLG does PPV stream for 20$ and nothing for free => I don't watch it
You make an awesome book to sell or to download for free => I'm going to give you 20$



Thanks a ton!

i mean MLG is overconfident and they should provide a free 360p like Gom does (but vod pay to watch).
its competitors are more awesome(maybe not competitor but alternative)

And you just don't have a competitor this moment, you can make it free to download after one month or two= =

anyway, i appreciate your work. you are pricing like adblock do
Incredible Miracle
Hall0wed
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States8486 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-12 14:17:39
March 12 2012 14:17 GMT
#18
On March 12 2012 21:38 winthrop wrote:
i think free after one week's release is ok for this

but for ppv= = i dont like it

for instance gsl as the best league has free SQ live

but Winter Arena really hurt me


Great post or greatest post? <_<
♦ My Life for BESTie ♦ 류세라 = 배 ♦
KingOctavious
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States324 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-12 14:23:24
March 12 2012 14:18 GMT
#19
On March 12 2012 23:15 winthrop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2012 22:04 KingOctavious wrote:
On March 12 2012 21:38 winthrop wrote:
i think free after one week's release is ok for this

but for ppv= = i dont like it

for instance gsl as the best league has free SQ live

but Winter Arena really hurt me


?? What? I'm sorry, I'm not actually sure what you're talking about.


On March 12 2012 21:45 Nyarly wrote:
This is sick

MLG does PPV stream for 20$ and nothing for free => I don't watch it
You make an awesome book to sell or to download for free => I'm going to give you 20$



Thanks a ton!

i mean MLG is overconfident and they should provide a free 360p like Gom does (but vod pay to watch).
its competitors are more awesome(maybe not competitor but alternative)

And you just don't have a competitor this moment, you can make it free to download after one month or two= =

anyway, i appreciate your work. you are pricing like adblock do


Yeah, I could have waited to make it free, but I wanted to do so right off the bat. I'm more interested in reaching as many people as possible than turning a quick profit off the book, and additionally, when you make a move like that (waiting and then going free), that shuns your most loyal customers who bought from you right off the bat. I didn't want to punish people for being more interested in the book than others.

EDIT: I'm also not sure you understand my pricing correctly. You mentioned something about PPV in your first post. This is in no way a PPV book. You can buy the ebook or print version, or just download the PDF for whatever price you want.
Check out my book, The Year in StarCraft II: 2011, http://yearinsc2.com/ :D:D
Sata_
Profile Joined September 2011
Belgium82 Posts
March 12 2012 14:40 GMT
#20
i've donated whatever i had left on my paypal which is a little bit over $2 TT
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech144
RotterdaM 139
UpATreeSC 41
Codebar 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2442
Shuttle 1559
EffOrt 787
BeSt 629
Mini 416
Light 324
ggaemo 274
Stork 250
firebathero 202
ZerO 175
[ Show more ]
Rush 155
Dewaltoss 89
Barracks 77
Sea.KH 69
Zeus 60
Shine 57
Killer 54
Hyun 46
Mong 37
Shinee 37
ToSsGirL 30
soO 26
Sexy 26
Aegong 25
Terrorterran 24
sorry 22
Bale 22
910 20
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
yabsab 9
zelot 8
Trap 6
Dota 2
qojqva3773
Dendi1823
BananaSlamJamma378
Counter-Strike
Fnx 630
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes524
Other Games
singsing2142
Liquid`RaSZi1673
hiko1315
B2W.Neo919
Lowko356
Liquid`VortiX218
Sick171
ArmadaUGS153
Trikslyr44
Rex36
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream533
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 11
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile128
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2332
• Jankos2204
• TFBlade916
Other Games
• WagamamaTV198
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
14m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 14m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 14m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.