• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:08
CEST 00:08
KST 07:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8171 users

[D] Apple discussion - NOT A FLAMEFEST

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
exnomendei
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands122 Posts
February 03 2012 17:04 GMT
#1
Please note that I'm not trying to flame anyone. I hope you can do the same.

I replied to this image in the Funny pictures thread:

[image loading]

With this: (Spoilered)

In response:

+ Show Spoiler +
This is Skyrim on a PC:
[image loading]

This is Skyrim on a Mac:
[image loading]

This is an HD6870:

[image loading]

...I can make a picture of the one in my Mac. If you want. Or you can take my word for it.

Also, I'm going to be turning my Mac from a quad core to an 8-core. It's from 2007. I guess a Mac, then, is this:

[image loading]

Doesn't fall over when you stop. Doesn't kill you in the rain. Does odd things to Jeremy Clarkson's face:

[image loading]

Oh, you get the picture...


Obviously, whenever anyone mentions Apple in any way, a discussion must commence (I am guilty of this as well). Since I didn't want to completely derail the Funny pictures thread, I made another here. To get the ball rolling, I will be answering some of the replies I got:



So what your saying is you bought a overpriced piece of hardware and spent more money on turning it into a PC.
Real sensible thing to do with your money gotta say.


I spent quite a lot on the computer, yes. 850 euros in total, discarding the SSD and HDD's I put in there. That's for two processors (two cores each, four cores total), 9 GB's of FB-DDR (You probably don't know what that is ), an HD6870, etc. I could have probably gotten a nice Dell instead for the same price...

[image loading]
Well, that's not quite an HD6870. The processor is faster and the memory is, though. I'll bet I get more FPS than that machine with ease.

Or I could build by own. Did that. Last time I had a Q6600, 8800GT (later HD4870), an SSD at the same time as the HD4870, etc. I can build my own. I didn't, and I chose not to. You see, I could have gotten more performance, but I'd have to build it, I'd have to find and install the drivers for, well, everything, I'd have to get an add-on board since I need Firewire, I'd have to settle for a plastic case that's either too hot or too loud and so on.

It's not that I dislike that option - again, I did so in the past - but I'm not losing much performance with this route and I get a really nice case (it's about 45 pounds of aluminium with contents), all the ports and connectors I want and need, I get to run an operating system that I like, and I still get to play Skyrim at max, at whatever FPS since I didn't even bother to check. My system is not, for the only purpose where it matters (games) slow. And to be honest it's not expensive either.

I'm not sure how posting the same picture twice proves anything. Or how a screenshot comparison proves that the performance is the same.


It doesn't. It's one of those "This is your mind; this is your mind on drugs" references you see scattered on the Internet. Again, I play Skyrim at very high settings on my computer.

The funny thing is mac fanboys think that we think their hadware is crap when really we are laughing at them for paying triple the amount we pay for the same hardware and a different OS (one that can be installed on any PC btw)


First bit: Triple the amount, huh? I'm going to see if I can make a reasonably fair comparison (using Apple and some other computer retailer with the same parts or equivalent ones), but that's going to take a bit of time.

Meanwhile, yes, I know about Hackintoshes. The machine I mentioned earlier was one after a while. It was a pain. First, it couldn't sleep, which I guess is alright if you're used to shutting down every day, but I have uptimes of 30 days on my notebook, I'm not about to wait for my SSD to load the OS every day. Second, it was driver hell. It took me weeks to get the damn OS to run (mostly because I had a rather rare motherboard which I ended up replacing) and second: You never know whether an OS update is going to break your machine or not.

Anyway, enough for now.

Reading this: I'm not attacking anyone up there. I've not said PC's are crap, and I didn't mention hating Windows. Show the same respect, please.
Trying something wacky, expanding it, adjusting it, perfecting it -> Build order
Catch]22
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Sweden2683 Posts
February 03 2012 17:10 GMT
#2
People are just trolling you. Similar hardware = similar performance.

I have an iPhone, and people keep telling me how shit it is, but are always unable to reply to the question "why do you think so?". Ihve tried several and the iPhone trumps them all so go figure.
TrickyGilligan
Profile Joined September 2010
United States641 Posts
February 03 2012 17:11 GMT
#3
On February 04 2012 02:04 exnomendei wrote:

Or I could build by own. Did that. Last time I had a Q6600, 8800GT (later HD4870), an SSD at the same time as the HD4870, etc. I can build my own. I didn't, and I chose not to. You see, I could have gotten more performance, but I'd have to build it, I'd have to find and install the drivers for, well, everything, I'd have to get an add-on board since I need Firewire, I'd have to settle for a plastic case that's either too hot or too loud and so on.


I'm not really sure how your inability to build a computer helps you in this discussion at all. If anything, it's just going to further people's belief that Macs aren't for people who know anything about computers.

I just built my own, I paid significantly less than the 850, and it's equal or better than your current machine in ever regard.

Also, comparing to Alienware is a strawman. Alienware is the Apple of the PC world, you're paying a lot for the Alienware name and the shiny alien lights you get on your computer.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -Groucho Marx
Glowbox
Profile Joined June 2010
Netherlands330 Posts
February 03 2012 17:13 GMT
#4
Comparing with Alienware is not really fair now is it (if you look at prices)? I think the point for many people is, if they build a pc and assemble it themselves they can get at least equal performance as that of a mac for less money.

Either way it's a troll picture. What is it exactly that you want to discuss? Mac vs Pc prices?
exnomendei
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands122 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-03 17:24:28
February 03 2012 17:14 GMT
#5
On February 04 2012 02:11 TrickyGilligan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2012 02:04 exnomendei wrote:

Or I could build by own. Did that. Last time I had a Q6600, 8800GT (later HD4870), an SSD at the same time as the HD4870, etc. I can build my own. I didn't, and I chose not to. You see, I could have gotten more performance, but I'd have to build it, I'd have to find and install the drivers for, well, everything, I'd have to get an add-on board since I need Firewire, I'd have to settle for a plastic case that's either too hot or too loud and so on.


I'm not really sure how your inability to build a computer helps you in this discussion at all. If anything, it's just going to further people's belief that Macs aren't for people who know anything about computers.

I just built my own, I paid significantly less than the 850, and it's equal or better than your current machine in ever regard.

Also, comparing to Alienware is a strawman. Alienware is the Apple of the PC world, you're paying a lot for the Alienware name and the shiny alien lights you get on your computer.


Read it again. I can build my own. I did. I chose not to because I was annoyed by the issues of it, at least this time.

Tell me, what are the specifications of your computer? I'd prefer to also get the cost of each component. (I've no doubt the CPU and memory are faster, by the way, it's a 2007 computer. My notebook's memory is faster (although it has 4 GB of it).)

I'm also willing to bet I know more about computers than 90% of TL.

On February 04 2012 02:13 Glowbox wrote:
Comparing with Alienware is not really fair now is it (if you look at prices)? I think the point for many people is, if they build a pc and assemble it themselves they can get at least equal performance as that of a mac for less money.

Either way it's a troll picture. What is it exactly that you want to discuss? Mac vs Pc prices?


Not sure what you mean by looking at prices, but that's not your point.

Yes, people can build a faster computer for less money themselves. If you build your own car from components, it costs less money than an equivalent one as well. There's also the time factor involved. (and in the car's example, skill too, but that's moot with computers.) The thing is, this should surprise no-one: Labor costs money. Testing configurations costs money. Warranties cost money. Of course you can higher performance-per-dollar from a self-built computer than from a Mac! I'm not going to say you can't.

Figures like thrice-the-price are bullshit, though. I'd explain it, but I tried and it was a bad, ugly rant. I did that before and it was a lot of back-and-forth about processors clocking lower at idle and I don't want to get into that.

Anyway, point is: Yes, Macs are more expensive than building yourself, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Trying something wacky, expanding it, adjusting it, perfecting it -> Build order
betaV1.25
Profile Joined April 2010
425 Posts
February 03 2012 17:16 GMT
#6
On February 04 2012 02:10 Catch]22 wrote:
People are just trolling you. Similar hardware = similar performance.

I have an iPhone, and people keep telling me how shit it is, but are always unable to reply to the question "why do you think so?". Ihve tried several and the iPhone trumps them all so go figure.



I can easely answer that. The licence agreement that you accept it beond stupid.
Saryph
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1955 Posts
February 03 2012 17:16 GMT
#7
I might be wrong, but in the OP the pictures listed as skyrim run on a pc and run on a mac are the exact same file. I understand why you are doing it, but it'd still be nice if it was a little more honest.
Blix
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands873 Posts
February 03 2012 17:16 GMT
#8
I got an imac cause it's pretty ;-) I have no idea why people who i don't even know should have an opinion on how much i spend on my computer...
Conquer yourself not the world. - Descartes
bonifaceviii
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2890 Posts
February 03 2012 17:16 GMT
#9
On February 04 2012 02:14 exnomendei wrote:
I'm also willing to bet I know more about computers than 90% of TL.

Somehow I'm thinking that the OP wasn't serious when he said this thread isn't a flame fest...
Stay a while and listen || http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=354018
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
February 03 2012 17:16 GMT
#10
And you prove your point by comparing it to alienware, which is notorious for being expensive as hell. You see where this is already falling apart, don't you?
marttorn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Norway5211 Posts
February 03 2012 17:17 GMT
#11
Meh, I think the whole "mac vs pc" debacle, in most forms, is just complete nonsense. People want to validate their point of view and what they personally have/use. It's a lot like console fanboying. Although you generally see a lot more striking out against mac here on TL/the internet in general, I assure you, there will be no winners in this conflict, just like with any other imaginary war on the internet.
memes are a dish best served dank
ItchReliever
Profile Joined April 2004
2489 Posts
February 03 2012 17:17 GMT
#12
You pay more with Macs but it's worth it. It's like spending a little extra for nice toilet paper, it may have the same amount of paper, but the overall experience is so much more pleasant.
Crisium
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1618 Posts
February 03 2012 17:18 GMT
#13
Building PCs is so fun though. It's too bad that you once built PCs and then stopped doing so because you didn't like to do it, but that doesn't mean Alienware is the only choice for PCs.
Broodwar and Stork forever! List of BW players with most Ro16, Ro8: http://tinyurl.com/BWRo16-Ro8
darksub
Profile Joined July 2010
Argentina302 Posts
February 03 2012 17:19 GMT
#14
most of us (mac users) we pay for the os, and i want to build a hackintosh and try how it compares, but if you use it for work, you cant have driver problems, or any tipe of problems, osx is very reliable.

related to gaming, the problem isnt the hardware or the os, the problem is that gaming companies (most of them) dont program for mac, and thats why you see a diference, if you take blizzard games for example, that are programed for mac, you wont see much diference (given same hardware)
divide et vinces
Corvi
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Germany1406 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-03 17:27:04
February 03 2012 17:22 GMT
#15
i fail to understand your post.

what kind of mac do you even have and since when is there a mac version of skyrim? >_<

also i got news, dell and alienware are shit as well. i spent roughly 500 euros in april last year for a i5-2500, 8gb ddr3, gtx 460 and 1 tb hd, using nothing but online hardware resellers.

try to get that under 2000 in a mac even almost 1 year later now.
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-03 17:24:20
February 03 2012 17:23 GMT
#16
I had to program for iPhone for over a year due to my research group project at my University.

I had to use Apple stuff obviously. I hated it, from the horrible mouse and keyboard design (only LOOKS good, but horrible usability) to the oh my god so awkward iOS interface. One year trying to understand what Apple fanboys like so much about it, never got it.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
February 03 2012 17:24 GMT
#17
On February 04 2012 02:19 darksub wrote:
most of us (mac users) we pay for the os, and i want to build a hackintosh and try how it compares, but if you use it for work, you cant have driver problems, or any tipe of problems, osx is very reliable.

related to gaming, the problem isnt the hardware or the os, the problem is that gaming companies (most of them) dont program for mac, and thats why you see a diference, if you take blizzard games for example, that are programed for mac, you wont see much diference (given same hardware)


Sadly even Blizz games run pretty terrible on Macs. On the Mac im on right now there is a massive difference between the game on my Mac and Windows partitions.
FliedLice
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany7494 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-03 17:28:00
February 03 2012 17:26 GMT
#18
On February 04 2012 02:22 Corvi wrote:
i fail to understand your post.

what kind of mac do you even have and since when is there a mac version of skyrim? >_<


from what i can see he bought an overpriced alienware machine (instead could have gotten an overpriced dell computer!) and just put an apple OS on it?

edit: or maybe im wrong, let me join your "i don't get the point of this"-club
Kevmeister @ Dota2
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
February 03 2012 17:28 GMT
#19
Lol this OP doesn't even make sense.

So you bought a low-end server configuration... what the hell does this have to do with Macs or Alienwares?
Crisium
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1618 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-03 17:34:28
February 03 2012 17:30 GMT
#20
On February 04 2012 02:22 Corvi wrote:
i fail to understand your post.

what kind of mac do you even have and since when is there a mac version of skyrim? >_<


You can install Windows on a Mac these days. So many Mac users get a Windows partition and then claim to have the best of both worlds (Mac OS features and Windows gaming). But the gaming thresh hold is held back by the lack of customization in Macs, so you can only get so powerful a video card. The 6970m in the most powerful iMac, for example, would find itself held back in really stressful games such as Battlefield 3. Skyrim is not really graphically intensive, so it does indeed run fine on modern iMacs.
Broodwar and Stork forever! List of BW players with most Ro16, Ro8: http://tinyurl.com/BWRo16-Ro8
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 357
Nina 134
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13440
Artosis 112
NaDa 27
Bale 14
Dota 2
monkeys_forever131
febbydoto33
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox247
Mew2King55
Other Games
summit1g5085
Grubby2955
Liquid`RaSZi2092
shahzam636
WinterStarcraft436
C9.Mang0268
ViBE10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 82
• musti20045 36
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie978
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 52m
INu's Battles
12h 52m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
14h 52m
OSC
1d
Replay Cast
1d
OSC
2 days
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.