• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:43
CEST 20:43
KST 03:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8582 users

[Z] What Zerg Builds should I learn first?

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Jdog-EZ
Profile Joined November 2011
United States9 Posts
December 31 2011 01:38 GMT
#1
Hey TL,

I'm in Bronze league, currently ranked 33. I'm having trouble moving up, and I think it may be due to my lack of strong strategies that I can use. At the moment, I'm overwhelmed by which builds I should learn, and which ones I should avoid.

At the moment, my standard strat is to expand while my early lings attack, and to get Hydralisks ASAP. I try to throw mutas in there too, and I end up with a mess of units, and turn out my opponent has Thor/Hellions and is able to crush my forces, and make me gg.

What builds (obviously not cheesy) should I learn to get higher in the bronze?

-- Jdog-EZ
On D3, SC2, ROM, and Steam. Add me: [BRG]Charamander
Tiamat
Profile Joined February 2003
United States498 Posts
December 31 2011 01:41 GMT
#2
I would skip Hydras all together, they are very poor units. Roaches for ground, mutas for air, zerglings for killing bases and peons.
JrClimbers
Profile Joined April 2011
57 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-31 01:43:44
December 31 2011 01:43 GMT
#3
You should have a fundamental grasp of the Speedling Expand, which is useful is in all leagues.

I find that at lower leagues, it's not worth going hatch-first, because you might lack the ability to defend it or lack the macro to fully saturate and make use of it.

At heart, the speedling expand is a 14gas/14pool. Remove drones from gas at 100 gas.

When your pool finishes, you should have enough minerals and gas to research speed and start a Queen.

After 2-3 pairs of lings, you should take your natural expansion. Take the watch towers with your zerglings. Constantly scout your opponent's ramp.

Hydralisks are extremely situational, and should never be used in ZvT, where the gas is better spent getting mutas/banelings.

Any replays? They would help me analyze your games more.
Jdog-EZ
Profile Joined November 2011
United States9 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-31 01:47:36
December 31 2011 01:45 GMT
#4
Where do you want me to drop replays? I have a few where I won, but several where I lost. I don't know where to put replays though. Anyplace that's a favorite?
On D3, SC2, ROM, and Steam. Add me: [BRG]Charamander
Peleus
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia420 Posts
December 31 2011 01:52 GMT
#5
Multi purpose build -

9 Overlord
14 Gas
14 Pool
16 Overlord
As soon as pool finishes
- Build Queen
- Get ling speed
- Take 2 drones out of gas, leaving 1 in there
- Make 4 lings to scout
- At 300 mins expand

Go from there. Good against most things, safe.

At bronze, your macro is horrible, which is fine. The key thing is going to be making drones, then some drones, then some more drones. At your level if you die before 200/200, it's simply because you didn't have enough stuff. What you're making is (almost) irrelevant.

I find www.drop.sc is great for sharing replays.
kedarking
Profile Joined August 2011
Netherlands98 Posts
December 31 2011 01:53 GMT
#6
I don't see why you would voluntarily go for hydras, but apart from that:

There are the standard openers 15 hatch and 14gas 14pool.
In ZvT a good opening build is 15 hatch 15 pool 15 gas or 15 hatch 16 pool 15 hatch, something like that. From there you can transition into anything you like, be it mass ling bane, a third, or 2base muta.

In ZvP there is 2 things you can do:
1.) 15 Hatch. This will leave you open to a cannonrush if the oponent is going Forge expand though, so only do this if you feel comfortable holding of a cannon rush, or have scouted that he isn't going Forge Expand.
2.) Pool first, ranging from 11-pool to 15-pool, where the earlier pools get out earlier zerglings which will allow you to kill the probe/pylon blocking you expansion and maybe punish a player who is getting too greedy with their forge expand(if they go nexus first for example, you might be able to get into the main and be really annoying). From here you can go for gas and then expo, or expo and then gas, whatever you prefer, and from there out proceed as standard against Forge FEs. (if you want to know more about that, or ZvP in general read this: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php? topic_id=299170 )

ZvZ: Either 15 hatch or 14/14, but be sure to prepare for some sort of allin, be it roaches, pure ling, or ling bane if you go for 15 Hatch. If you go 15hatch, get up a spine or 2 or 3, maybe 3 queens, and a banelings nest of your own for defensive banelings and keep scouting. Here is a really awesome ZvZ guide for you: http://raa-media.nl/blog/starcraft2/zvz-alpha-omega

Hope this helps!

ggglhf!

Kedarking
"There's nothing more awesome, than being proud of the things you love." The most inspirational man I've ever known, also knon as Day[J]
Jdog-EZ
Profile Joined November 2011
United States9 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-31 02:04:16
December 31 2011 01:53 GMT
#7
OK, I put my latest game up (I tried 7 roach rush). If you need more, PM me.

http://drop.sc/81725

edit: wrong replay, sorry. Link updated.
-- Jdog-EZ
On D3, SC2, ROM, and Steam. Add me: [BRG]Charamander
Jdog-EZ
Profile Joined November 2011
United States9 Posts
December 31 2011 01:59 GMT
#8
Peleus's build seems like something I would try. Kedarking, thankls for all the help, that's a ton of info!

I went Hydras because early air in the PL always crippled me as a zerg, and I really wanted to make sure that I'm safe if he does Void Ray/ Vikings.

Thanks for all the info guys! Going to be great reading for later!

--Jdog-EZ
On D3, SC2, ROM, and Steam. Add me: [BRG]Charamander
kedarking
Profile Joined August 2011
Netherlands98 Posts
December 31 2011 02:08 GMT
#9
On December 31 2011 10:59 Jdog-EZ wrote:
Peleus's build seems like something I would try. Kedarking, thankls for all the help, that's a ton of info!

I went Hydras because early air in the PL always crippled me as a zerg, and I really wanted to make sure that I'm safe if he does Void Ray/ Vikings.

Thanks for all the info guys! Going to be great reading for later!

--Jdog-EZ


No problem, and about that early air: Just get up some spores (1-3 per base, depending on how heavy air he is going) and maybe an extra queen or two, and that should suffice.
"There's nothing more awesome, than being proud of the things you love." The most inspirational man I've ever known, also knon as Day[J]
Maiden UK
Profile Joined November 2011
England61 Posts
December 31 2011 02:09 GMT
#10
I've only just switched to Zerg, so I'm not great on builds - but it might be worth watching dApollo's 4 part series on starting as Zerg:

- part 1

It's been pretty useful, if you have a bit of free time it might be worth having a look.
Jdog-EZ
Profile Joined November 2011
United States9 Posts
December 31 2011 02:14 GMT
#11
Thanks all! laddering with new builds now!

--Jdog-EZ
On D3, SC2, ROM, and Steam. Add me: [BRG]Charamander
blobrus
Profile Joined August 2011
4297 Posts
December 31 2011 02:20 GMT
#12
I second that you should watch the video posted above. I really wish I had a resource like that when starting out. I'm mid diamond and some of the tips he gives in the videos even helped me to improve.
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-31 03:21:36
December 31 2011 02:29 GMT
#13
I laughed when I saw the [Z] tag

For your next thread, read the strat forum guidelines: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=299284

EDIT: I mean, uh, http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=113479
ModeratorGood content always wins.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM776
TKL 274
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 776
ByuN 369
mouzHeroMarine 301
TKL 274
IndyStarCraft 186
BRAT_OK 56
MindelVK 31
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16009
Calm 2568
Horang2 400
Dewaltoss 163
Mini 145
Rush 84
Zeus 47
EffOrt 36
Free 35
Trap 25
[ Show more ]
Bale 18
ToSsGirL 17
scan(afreeca) 15
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
febbydoto9
LuMiX0
League of Legends
KnowMe46
Counter-Strike
fl0m4503
pashabiceps1448
Fnx 799
edward27
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King72
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2268
Liquid`Hasu489
Other Games
singsing1743
Liquid`RaSZi1636
Beastyqt769
B2W.Neo355
C9.Mang0298
crisheroes220
dupreeh146
QueenE113
Trikslyr72
UpATreeSC57
JuggernautJason20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH308
• EnkiAlexander 33
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 20
• Michael_bg 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2661
League of Legends
• Nemesis3314
• TFBlade748
Other Games
• imaqtpie794
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
15h 17m
INu's Battles
16h 17m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
18h 17m
OSC
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 4h
OSC
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.