• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:51
CEST 20:51
KST 03:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20267Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Biografia
Playlenda
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10353 users

Quantic / NaNiwa Apologize to GOMTV / SC2Community

Forum Index > SC2 General
969 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 47 48 49 Next All
QuanticGaming
Profile Joined July 2011
United States36 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-14 22:02:56
December 14 2011 21:04 GMT
#1
[image loading]


A formal letter to GOMTV and the StarCraft community from Quantic and NaNiwa


It isn't often that a relatively new team is thrust into controversy in such a significant way. Of course, one never asks or hopes to find themself in this sort of situation, as a team, as a player, or as a manager.

This is why we feel it both necessary and appropriate, as a team, and as a family, to sincerely and deeply apologize for the events that occurred during NaNiwa’s final match against NesTea on Day 2 of the Blizzcup 2011 Invitational Tournament, hosted at the GOM Studio in Seoul, South Korea.

As a team we value the fundamental principals of competitive pursuit: fair play, on a level playing field, where the rules are well understood, and the objectives clearly known. We believe in this case that those objectives were clearly known, but the pursuit was not proper, and this offended many fans, players, and officials.

We want to make it clear that we do not condone NaNiwa’s actions during his match against NesTea. We understand that GOMTV’s decision to revoke NaNiwa’s Code S spot for the next GSL season was not one that was made lightly. He has decided against participating in the coming GSL season as a statement of his sincere regret and in the hopes that he may have a future opportunity to compete in GSL against the world’s best. NaNiwa will continue to play for Quantic, and we will also continue to stand by NaNiwa as he learns and grows as a result of his mistakes.

While we respect and understand GOMTV’s existing decision, we implore GOMTV to consider giving NaNiwa a “second chance” to fulfill his dream to compete in GSL Code S in a future season. For fans, we ask only for your acceptance of our apology, on behalf of our player, and consider offering your patience, understanding, and perhaps your renewed faith in the future with and for NaNiwa.

NaNiwa’s statement and apology:

“After I played and lost 3 incredible close games, I was extremely upset with myself. I prepared a lot and wanted to show everyone – especially my Swedish fans – that I had what it takes to beat the best. Instead, I let everyone down.

I wasn’t thinking clearly, and acted unprofessionally. At first I didn’t realize how big of a deal it really was, but when I saw how much everyone wanted to see my game against NesTea, I felt terrible and truly began to realize what I had done. I first thought that the match against NesTea was meaningless, but now I realize that it really did mean a lot, and that there’s no such thing as a “meaningless game” in eSports.

I am sincerely sorry to all my fans that looked forward to our rematch. I had something very special prepared just for him, and I’m sure he had something just as special planned himself. To all Korean fans and pro-gamers, especially NesTea, I am so sorry if I offended you by doing what I did. When we meet again in a future match, you can all count on it being a match worth your while. I also want to apologize to Mr Chae, the directors, the casters and all the staff at GOMTV. I now understand how my poor decision disrespected all the hard work they put into running the GSL. I really hope that what I’ve done won’t damage eSports or GOMTV any further.

For a long time, I never really played this game for anyone else other than myself. Now, I realize that it involves so much more than that. I’m not alone playing from my home anymore; there are so many people watching my every game, and wanting to see me perform at my best. I don’t just play for myself anymore, but for all the fans of StarCraft 2 and eSports. Clearly, being a pro-gamer involves a lot more than I initially thought.”


NOTE: The words above were taken directly from NaNi through dictation, but were reviewed by an editor for grammar so long as those updates didn't change the meaning or the message as it was meant to be delivered. The final copy was proofed by NaNi before publication.

NOTE: This article was also posted in Korean at: http://www.playxp.com/sc2/bbs/view.php?article_id=3665279
------------------------------------------------------------

QUANTIC ON TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/QuanticGaming
QUANTIC ON FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/QuanticGaming
WEBSITE: http://www.QuanticGaming.com/

BUSINESS/PRESS INQUIRIES: laxx@quanticgaming.com
Facebook Twitter Reddit
www.QuanticGaming.com | @QuanticGaming
Snijjer
Profile Joined September 2011
United States989 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-14 21:07:41
December 14 2011 21:06 GMT
#2
nice statement. Looking forward to the rematch, should be very interesting.
Leargle
Profile Joined October 2010
United States173 Posts
December 14 2011 21:06 GMT
#3
Quantic is doing a good job handling this. Hopefully we see the rematch soon ^^
Maphack supply depot overlord
anrimayu
Profile Joined June 2011
United States875 Posts
December 14 2011 21:07 GMT
#4
Poor naniwa, but he'll definitely be back. I just hope he doesn't lose his place in korea.
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Kieofire
Profile Joined June 2011
United States1809 Posts
December 14 2011 21:07 GMT
#5
Thanks for this statement, now maybe people will cool off a bit after reading it.
SeaSwift
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Scotland4486 Posts
December 14 2011 21:07 GMT
#6
I don't think GOM are going to change their mind about this one, no matter the apologies, unfortunately for Naniwa.
Benjef
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United Kingdom6921 Posts
December 14 2011 21:08 GMT
#7
Pretty good statement. If it was more promt I'm sure alot of this drama could have been easily avoided . Or if GOM wasn't so rushed to make a descision and actually heard what Quantic and Nani had to say.

Regardless whats done is done.
<3 | Dota 2 | DayZ | <3
Govou
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1072 Posts
December 14 2011 21:08 GMT
#8
man, I wish Naniwa really think that way and it wasn't a publicist who typed it up.

Because that would be awesome.

How about a Naniwa vs Nestea show match at the end of Blizzard Cup?
Roxy
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada753 Posts
December 14 2011 21:08 GMT
#9
You have my support naniwa and quantic!
http://sc2ranks.com/us/941824/Roxy - Masters Protoss: "Respect my authoritai"
LiamTheZerg
Profile Joined March 2011
United States523 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-14 21:11:40
December 14 2011 21:08 GMT
#10
I respect the team, but have lost any respect to Naniwa or his cut & paste apology. Being an adult and a professional means being able to control yourself, which is something he has failed to show he is capable of time and time again. Also, i dislike the asking to reconsider for a second chance. He openly disrespected GOM during a tournament that was meant to celebrate a great year of StarCraft. It's only a month, he can and should wait. I don't understand where everyone gets this sense of entitlement from. You mess up, you accept your punishment, and you learn from it for next time.
Jjakji | Sage | Seal | Shuttle | DongRaeGu | oGsTheSTC | Bomber | Curious | Oz
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
December 14 2011 21:08 GMT
#11
Nice statement. Good luck guys.
KAkos MAgos
Profile Joined July 2011
Greece47 Posts
December 14 2011 21:09 GMT
#12
well dont apologize. idra ragequits and is badmannered too and no one says something.
GOMTV is being sillly with its descision. comon. ITS A GAME WTF. thank go we are not like the koreans and take that whole gaming thing so seriously.
Gevna
Profile Joined August 2010
France2332 Posts
December 14 2011 21:09 GMT
#13
Wow it's a really smart statement here.
LiamTheZerg
Profile Joined March 2011
United States523 Posts
December 14 2011 21:10 GMT
#14
On December 15 2011 06:09 KAkos MAgos wrote:
well dont apologize. idra ragequits and is badmannered too and no one says something.
GOMTV is being sillly with its descision. comon. ITS A GAME WTF. thank go we are not like the koreans and take that whole gaming thing so seriously.


Thank god the Koreans have a sense of pride in what they do.
Jjakji | Sage | Seal | Shuttle | DongRaeGu | oGsTheSTC | Bomber | Curious | Oz
chosenkerrigan
Profile Joined May 2011
858 Posts
December 14 2011 21:10 GMT
#15
On December 15 2011 06:09 KAkos MAgos wrote:
well dont apologize. idra ragequits and is badmannered too and no one says something.
GOMTV is being sillly with its descision. comon. ITS A GAME WTF. thank go we are not like the koreans and take that whole gaming thing so seriously.


thank god not every one thinks like you do
Klamity
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States994 Posts
December 14 2011 21:10 GMT
#16
Great statement. I've always liked Naniwa a lot, but he is unaware at times. Hopefully he gets to play in code S some time.
Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.
Nosforit
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada260 Posts
December 14 2011 21:11 GMT
#17
On December 15 2011 06:07 SeaSwift wrote:
I don't think GOM are going to change their mind about this one, no matter the apologies, unfortunately for Naniwa.


I don't think they expect them to reinstate his Code S seed for the upcoming tournament. I think what they're saying is in light of this apology, they hope he'll receive a Code S invite in the future, as it seems that's the way GOM is doing their tournament now (IdrA and Sen Code S automatically).
The time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted time.
FidoDido
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1292 Posts
December 14 2011 21:11 GMT
#18
When your own team doesn't condone your actions and makes formal apology is anyone still going to argue Naniwa is completely innocent?
I don't get why people are still making threads or posting in others and arguing that Naniwa didn't do anything wrong.
I truly hope Naniwa competes in prelims in the upcoming season instead of forfeiting completely and we can all put this behind us.
LGIMSeed FantasyToss~~ Hipster Seed fan before he made Code A
Subztance
Profile Joined August 2010
United States139 Posts
December 14 2011 21:11 GMT
#19
I think that if this had come out earlier it might have saved Naniwa's spot. It seems like the spot has already been given to someone else so I have a feeling it's too late.
yuri taeyeon
dala
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden477 Posts
December 14 2011 21:11 GMT
#20
Wow, in the past 24 hours NaNiwa has grown up!
1 2 3 4 5 47 48 49 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 675
ProTech131
UpATreeSC 127
JuggernautJason47
MindelVK 35
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 30996
Calm 2996
Shuttle 814
firebathero 159
Mini 137
Dewaltoss 128
HiyA 32
Hyun 30
soO 28
Bale 24
[ Show more ]
NaDa 23
Aegong 21
PianO 18
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8013
XaKoH 303
Fuzer 159
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1600
fl0m1513
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu611
Other Games
FrodaN1428
Beastyqt790
ceh9589
B2W.Neo573
mouzStarbuck438
Livibee185
C9.Mang0127
ToD124
KnowMe110
Trikslyr85
RotterdaM84
Mew2King55
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 47
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki33
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur827
• imaqtpie826
• WagamamaTV234
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 24m
Replay Cast
4h 9m
OSC
1d 4h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 15h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.