• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:40
CEST 12:40
KST 19:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)38Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8304 users

Hot_Bid Obs Interview

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Darthozzan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Sweden136 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-24 22:42:57
April 24 2011 11:53 GMT
#1
Hi, TeamLiquid ^^

I recently conducted a fairly lengthy interview with the one and only HotBid. Since his observing is pretty much baller status already, I had to found out what made him so good. Little did I know he was a third generation observer, obsing since he was a child =O

You can check out the interview at http://root-gaming.com/news/root-weekly-4 , it starts rather quickly under the headline ROOT Interview, I hope you enjoy it ^^;

Since I got some complaints, here's the interview in the OP, despite the kind poster below putting it up ^^
+ Show Spoiler +
There are lots of qualities that make a good observer. It's very important to be naturally talented at it and practice from an early age. I started observing when I was eight years old. I obs'd ants and birds and all kinds of stuff before there were even computer games. It was my dream to one day be the obs for a major event. But I'd say the most important part of being an observer three fold: 1) You must be very handsome, 2) You must be attractive, and 3) You must not be unattractive. Observers must scrutinize every part of a game so your own appearance must be perfect.

How do you decide how to prioritize your camera? Do you have some internal ranking of importance?

I have a golden rule of observing: "Whence thou sees thine stuffs happening on screen, thou shalt show thy aforementioned stuffs happening." For those that don't understand latin, it means that you should prioritize the camera on locations where things are happening. Because it is the observer's main job to show things as they are happening. For example, let's say on a map like GSL Tal'Darim Altar, it's a 1v1 and two players spawn in the top right and bottom left positions. In the beginning of the game, I would show the top right player's workers mining in the top right. In fact, I might even show the bottom left's player's workers mining. But I will not show a position that does not have a player there because there is nothing happening.

People call you the third caster sometimes, highlighting events and communicating through actions, do you feel that is fair?

People say that I'm like a third caster. But observing isn't casting. It's not a science - it's an art. I'm a second-generation observer (my father observed GO matches in person back in China). I've been obsing most of my life. I still haven’t got it all figured out. I assume you interview me because someone told you I was the best. Well, I'm only the best because I work with the best. If you don't trust your production crew, your show can't succeed. I'd like to thank R1CH, Kennigit, and of course my union, the Global Observer Directory (GOD) for supporting me.

How hard is it to keep synced up with the casters?

I must say it is very challenging to stay synced with casters. When Day9 says "if you take a look at MC's base," I have to quickly switch to MC's base. These types of instructions may be confusing to an inexperienced observer, but for an observering veteran like myself, I can accomplish this with no problem.

You’re reddit-famous for a sick shout-out, how did you even think of doing that?

I would like to say it's because I realized that the beginning of the game is boring for many people and the observer does not have much to do, and spelling things out with your cursor can make it interesting. Or it could be that I just like Reddit, because r/starcraft is super fun. But neither of those answers would be true. The real reason I do the shout-outs is because it's a way for me to make shoutouts to girls I feel very close to. Special thanks to Bridget, Diana, Melanie, Shawna, Amber, Amy, Cameron, Tysha, Noreen, Paula, Kate Upton, Anna, Rachel, Peanut, Lilsusie, Soe, Tyler's Wife, Smix, those two girls that came with Destiny, Haypro's girlfriend, that girl that draws posters for TL, and of course, Leah B. Jackson.

What is your favourite part of observing the TSL?

My favorite part of observing the TSL is the 50,000 viewers watching. It's not every day you can control what that many people see and hear and feel, unless you're in a country that has a thought police. Even then, you don't have as close a relationship as the viewer does with the obs. You're basically trusting someone with your senses for 3-4 hours on a weekend. In a way, I'm closer to the viewer than their own families. Big thanks to all the fans that watch.

Do you feel that it is integral for an observer to be highly skilled at the game, or is it all about practicing the ancient art of observing?

You have to understand the game at a good level but you don't have to be as good as top players. But you do have to watch a lot of high-level StarCraft tournaments to see how they do it. I watched a ton of OGN and MBC starleagues for StarCraft Brood War, and their observers were amazing. These days more people can be good observers because StarCraft 2 has production tabs, better replays, and all these other features. It's kind of like transitioning from BW to SC2, obsing and playing become easier.

Any shoutouts?

I'd like to thank everyone that made the TSL possible: Plexa, Heyoka and Lovedrop for writing, R1CH for coding, Kennigit and Glider for art, and Waxangel for Korean translation. Thanks to all the other TL staff that helped plan and discuss every little detail as well. Also, thanks to my family: Sean, Michelle, Richard, Kit, Sophie, Maisie, Isaac, and Art.

http://complexitygaming.com ° @Darthozzan on twitter
XsebT
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Denmark2980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-24 22:44:43
April 24 2011 12:03 GMT
#2
lol, obsing is such an art! Entertaining stuff.

Edit,
Thanks.
화이팅
Neroin
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany173 Posts
April 24 2011 12:17 GMT
#3
I learned a lot from this interview and I hope to improve my own obsing with it.

Good read!
Endorsed
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands1221 Posts
April 24 2011 12:19 GMT
#4
Haha what a troll xD
Darthozzan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Sweden136 Posts
April 24 2011 12:22 GMT
#5
I would like to emphasize that the answers were taken verbatim from HotBid =D I was specifically informed not to edit the answers in any manner
http://complexitygaming.com ° @Darthozzan on twitter
Amestir
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2126 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-24 12:23:34
April 24 2011 12:23 GMT
#6
I always felt like HotBid was closer to me then my family, great to see that confirmed
We know nothing.
trancey
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States430 Posts
April 24 2011 12:26 GMT
#7
HotBid is one of the sharpest individuals I've ever met ^__^
kellymilkies
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Singapore1393 Posts
April 24 2011 12:28 GMT
#8
HotBid are you my father?
Be the change you wish to see in the world ^-^V //
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
April 24 2011 12:48 GMT
#9
haypro has a gf?
boy you sure do learn something every day.
Commentator
Kirb
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany900 Posts
April 24 2011 12:58 GMT
#10
Observing might be an art but trolling is one for sure. xD Fun read!
Sanguinarius
Profile Joined January 2010
United States3427 Posts
April 24 2011 13:04 GMT
#11
LOL - "Whence thou sees thine stuffs happening on screen, thou shalt show thy aforementioned stuffs happening."

HotBid, you are amazingly funny. I think thats the best interview I have read in a long time.

Seriously - Thanks for obsing these games, you are doing an amazing job. You dont miss anything.
Your strength is just an accident arising from the weakness of others -Heart of Darkness
pHelix Equilibria
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1134 Posts
April 24 2011 13:13 GMT
#12
The Golden Rule of observing. Hahahaha
We all can't forget the + Show Spoiler +
H to the Otbid, Hotbid.
~_~
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada239 Posts
April 24 2011 13:14 GMT
#13
how do i join the observers union ?
Dystisis
Profile Joined May 2010
Norway713 Posts
April 24 2011 13:20 GMT
#14
Haha his "family" which he thanks at the end is the first names of the Stark family actors in Game of Thrones tv series.
FarbrorAbavna
Profile Joined July 2009
Sweden4856 Posts
April 24 2011 13:21 GMT
#15
haha no interview has really made me laugh before(unless it was some sketch or whatever). Hotbid is damn funny :D
Do you really want chat rooms?
GuTTuRaLPanda
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden54 Posts
April 24 2011 13:21 GMT
#16
Hahaha! Best interview i've read in a long time!

"I must say it is very challenging to stay synced with casters. When Day9 says "if you take a look at MC's base," I have to quickly switch to MC's base. These types of instructions may be confusing to an inexperienced observer, but for an observering veteran like myself, I can accomplish this with no problem."

Haha
2) Gundam's shit incident. During the OGN Proleague, Gundam paused the game and started spamming. At first no one saw what it was but he typed WC WC WC WC WC and went off to take a shit during a game. This also gave him the nick name "shit terran"- ShaRp
Jono7272
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom6330 Posts
April 24 2011 13:22 GMT
#17
Hah, Brilliant interview! Keep up the good work HotBid!
Innovation | Flash | Mvp | Byun | TY
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
April 24 2011 13:25 GMT
#18
That was amazing. I was laughing the whole way through
HwangjaeTerran
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Finland5967 Posts
April 24 2011 13:41 GMT
#19
I got the picture that the person behind these words is very, very handsome.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/*tlusernamehere*/
Stijn
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands363 Posts
April 24 2011 13:44 GMT
#20
On April 24 2011 22:41 HwangjaeTerran wrote:
I got the picture that the person behind these words is very, very handsome.

Not to mention attractive and, on top of that, not unattractive.
http://www.fuzic.nl - Up-to-date viewer numbers for Starcraft 2 live streams
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PondCast
10:00
Episode 111
CranKy Ducklings32
CranKy Ducklings SOOP10
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 2502
Bisu 932
Horang2 600
Jaedong 515
Hyuk 413
BeSt 394
actioN 256
firebathero 240
Light 208
Zeus 190
[ Show more ]
Stork 156
Leta 147
EffOrt 135
Soma 98
Sexy 89
ZerO 82
Last 75
Pusan 70
Killer 57
Mong 43
Soulkey 42
Mind 40
Rush 40
Shinee 37
soO 30
Aegong 30
ggaemo 26
ToSsGirL 24
hero 23
Bale 23
sorry 17
Terrorterran 17
PianO 17
Sharp 14
NaDa 12
Free 11
Yoon 11
HiyA 9
Noble 8
JulyZerg 7
Dota 2
Fuzer 86
League of Legends
Reynor27
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1405
shoxiejesuss768
x6flipin132
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King161
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1947
crisheroes348
Other Games
gofns33330
singsing1724
XBOCT285
DeMusliM193
Livibee100
ArmadaUGS84
QueenE50
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream280
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH301
• LUISG 45
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2038
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 20m
Stellar Fest
2h 20m
OSC
13h 20m
Stellar Fest
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 23h
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.