• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:44
CEST 03:44
KST 10:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8965 users

Starcraft 2 for Cancer Edmonton Tournament

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Izukue
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada101 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-13 04:20:38
December 10 2010 05:48 GMT
#1
Hey TeamLiquid! I'm a part of the Canadian Cancer Society Student's Group at the University of Alberta, and we're holding a Starcraft 2 tournament as a fundraiser for cancer research. I don't have a pretty banner yet, but I'll be updating this thread as more specifics are fleshed out. Here's the meat of what you need to know!

[image loading]


When: January 15th (1:30PM to finishing pools) and January 16th (1:30PM to finishing brackets)
Where: University of Alberta Campus - Engineering Teaching and Learning Complex (ETLC). Here is a map of ETLC on campus.
http://www.campusmap.ualberta.ca/index.cfm?campus=1&sector=1&feature=11
We will have signs on the day of so that people can find the place, and if you use Google Maps you can also find the directions.
Why: To raise money for cancer research!

Tournament Format: Pools into Brackets (think Day9's King of the Beta tournament). Players per pool will be adjusted based on the number of participants. Pool stage will occur on Saturday, January 15th, while Brackets will occur on Sunday, January 16th.

Every series will be BO3. Each series will begin on Xel'naga Caverns. The loser will pick the next map out of the map pool:
Steppes of War
Delta Quadrant
Lost Temple
Xel'naga Caverns
Metalopolis
Shakuras Plateau
Jungle Basin.
The Semifinals will be a BO5, with the Finals being BO7.

Because some people have confirmed that they're unable to attend, the current number of players coming would actually allow us to play BO3s all day, so...yay!

Entry Fee: 10 dollars
PRIZES
1st: RAZER SPECTRE GAMING MOUSE :D
2nd: Sony Noise-Cancelling Foldable Headphones
3rd: SteelSeries StarCraft II Marauder Mousepad
GSL SEASON 4 Tickets for Top 4 players

Lastly, our tournament isn't restricted to University of Alberta students only! We'd like people from all over the city to show up! So if you're in not in the University, feel free to show up anyway :D. And if you're not playing, come and spectate - on Sunday we'll be projecting all the games from the Round of 8 and onwards.

If you are interested in participating, please send me a PM on TeamLiquid or send an e-mail to desheng@ualberta.ca with your Battle.net ID and Character Code. If you have any other questions, just post below and I'll answer it if I can, and if it's super important I'll toss it in this post.

EDIT

Spots Remaining: 17 <- a big drop
Thanks TL!
TetriX101
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada51 Posts
December 10 2010 06:01 GMT
#2
Hey Izukue! i am so down for a tourney at the U of A! I was wondering if i could also cast the games and place em on youtube or something? Even if i get knocked out, i would love to help in any way i can! ^_^
Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
Fission
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada1184 Posts
December 10 2010 06:25 GMT
#3
I'll spread the word!
Angelofstorm
Profile Joined September 2010
12 Posts
December 11 2010 02:22 GMT
#4
Sounds good! Come to Deadmonton! :D
TRUNGn1
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada1 Post
December 11 2010 02:47 GMT
#5
Email has been sent!
t3tsubo
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada682 Posts
December 11 2010 03:16 GMT
#6
gogogo good luck with your fundraiser!
shwaffles
Profile Joined July 2010
United States117 Posts
December 11 2010 03:21 GMT
#7
GL guys.
ShangMing
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada106 Posts
December 11 2010 03:21 GMT
#8
Oh how convenient, I live on U of A residence lolz.

I will probably attend (not 100% sure at the moment), though I'm a lowly gold player and haven't really played much since semester started in September, and no tournament experience at all.

I'm wondering though, will the computers/other hardware be supplied? These days I play on a laptop and it really sucks with such a small screen. And unless there's some good computers that I don't know about, the ETLC ones shouldn't be able to handle SC2...
Izukue
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada101 Posts
December 11 2010 05:49 GMT
#9
Sadly, the University doesn't allow us to install games onto their systems . Which is totally lame since they actually have some computers will good enough hardware to run the game. That said, we're going to be relying heavily on people who volunteer to "donate" their laptops for us. We have enough laptops to run the tournament at the moment, but if people bring their own we'd be really thankful, as that would speed up Day 1 significantly. As for keyboards and mice, I think we'll have those ready for those who don't want to use the stuff on the laptops.

Also, having no tournament experience is fine, that's likely the case for all of us . Remember to just have fun, so it's okay :D.
ShangMing
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada106 Posts
December 11 2010 06:27 GMT
#10
I just played ~6 hours, aced my 4v4 placements and got a few 1v1's in. Not too bad for 3 months break . Will more likely participate now, lol (though, also assuming enough people come). Would you be advertising this around the billboards on school? I'm sure if you talked to the Engineering Student Society about the purpose of the tourny, they'd be more than willing to give some space.

Perhaps if it's possible, would the uni be able to lend monitors? That'd make me more than happy. I could possibly volunteer my laptop, but I'd do that under the condition that an external keyboard be used (though, the keyboard laptop is very difficult to use anyway).
SiguR
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada2039 Posts
December 11 2010 07:46 GMT
#11
I have two questions.

How are you going to be connecting to the internet in etlc?
And purely out of curiosity, which organization is the raised money going to?

I'm definitely interested in attending.
splints
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada85 Posts
December 11 2010 08:01 GMT
#12
i'll participate to represent the gold league! (will pm when i know i can attend for sure)

could you keep us up to date as the spots get filled?
Izukue
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada101 Posts
December 11 2010 09:08 GMT
#13
@ShangMing
As soon as we get a poster-picture kind-of thing set up, we'll spam it all over the campus. I'll send an e-mail to the University asking about the monitors situation. If we could use the monitors we could probably use the keyboards and mouses too, as we're only using the peripherals and not the actual system itself.

@SiguR

We're going to be using the internet in ETLC, yes. If the connection is somehow notorious for being horrible, is there a better place on campus? It'd be awesome if we could pinpoint it before I book ETLC this Wednesday. To answer your second question, the organization is the Canadian Cancer Society.

@splints
Awesome . Yea, I'll keep the post updated as the spots close.

Thanks everybody for your support and interest! :D
clayn
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany444 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-11 09:45:43
December 11 2010 09:42 GMT
#14
great project. Would like to come but im too far away :/
Good luck anyway!


edit: If I have some free minutes/hours next week I can create a banner.. I will send it you via PM (for free of course).
TMStarcraft
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia686 Posts
December 11 2010 10:53 GMT
#15
Great idea. You could try getting some local sponsorship by saying it's for a good cause, some advertising at uni on flyers and posters, will draw a crowd etc. Hope it turns out well :D
||
ShangMing
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada106 Posts
December 11 2010 23:32 GMT
#16
If you need, I can make some prototype posters/ads as well, though it would have to wait until after exams on 20th.

Also, from my experience, the wireless internet at ETLC is pretty good, and fast as well. I'm not entirely sure about the stability since I haven't SC2'ed on them, but I have downloaded many gigabytes of stuff at a time on wireless (yes, overused bandwidth limit for students, lol).
Fission
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada1184 Posts
December 11 2010 23:38 GMT
#17
The wired connection in ETLC is hella fast. You might want to talk to the AICT guys to make sure they're ok with the event, but I can't see them saying no!

And yes, please get some posters designed. I'm involved heavily with the campus greek community, and I know tons of people (in the system) that play, so I can advertise tons.
Izukue
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada101 Posts
December 12 2010 02:03 GMT
#18
Anything that the community contributes is awesome and will be appreciated Even if we don't use it this time we'd probably use it for future tournaments. We're allowed to use the internet, just not the computer towers . And yea, advertise like crazy, it'd be awesome if we could get 64 people to show up :D.
eth3n
Profile Joined August 2010
718 Posts
December 12 2010 03:25 GMT
#19
Psh who needs prizes, just refund winner's gas money! Playing games for a good cause is pretty awesome :D
Idra Potter: I don't use avada kedavra because i have self-respect.
TetriX101
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada51 Posts
December 12 2010 04:04 GMT
#20
So happy people are interested! :D
Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 110
Nina 71
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12806
Rain 2219
Artosis 648
Dewaltoss 21
NaDa 19
Dota 2
monkeys_forever713
NeuroSwarm159
League of Legends
Doublelift4956
Counter-Strike
taco 463
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1617
ArmadaUGS404
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1271
WinterStarcraft459
Other Games
summit1g7793
Day[9].tv710
shahzam664
JimRising 597
C9.Mang0171
PiGStarcraft165
Maynarde157
ViBE155
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick943
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream117
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 118
• davetesta28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv710
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 16m
OSC
11h 16m
Stellar Fest
11h 16m
OSC
22h 16m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.